main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LAJ_Fett's Question and Answer Thread V. 2.0

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Mara_Jade_Fan, Nov 18, 2003.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Don't know, Fleeboy - but I found a pic of the new Vader TIE Fighter on a German collecting site:
    here . (Look under 30.05.2004).

2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Hey Laj,

I was wondering if it was a good idea to
    change Star cases every few years, or would it just
    be a waste of money. They still look fine, but I
    wasn't sure if maybe it would make the figures last
    longer to replace them every so often.

Thanks!

3. Fleeboy

Fleeboy Jedi Youngling star 2

May 6, 2001
    It seems we swim through the same websites. hehe! Yeah, that's the site I stumbled upon which sparked the question I asked.

I did a little more research on my question and it seems the OTC vader ship is based on the same mold as the POTF2 one, except it's just sporting a new paintjob (and ofcourse, there's a Vader fig with it).

4. dufrainedufraine

dufrainedufraine Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2004
    Does anybody know what the rarest Star Wars book is?

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I am a recent user of Star Cases - my Silver Fetts each came in a free one - so I have not used them long enough to know if they can cause their own problems. Maybe Mike or one of the longer-term collectors can answer that one. I haven't had any problems so far though.
    As far as books go, there are quite a few limited-edition books. However, one of the rarest that was on general sale is the first edition of the hardcover version of the 'Star Wars' novelization. 'Universe' calls it 'scarce and valuable'. It has a gold cover and is DelRey #27476-8, Oct 1977. The book says 100 US for that if in mint condition. Also valuable is the first edition paperback - Ballantine #26061-9, Dec 1976, Ralph McQuarrie cover. If mint, 'Universe' says 90 US for it. I have the pb but it isn't mint :( .

6. dufrainedufraine

dufrainedufraine Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2004
  7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Thanks! :D (They say archival quality, should be
    fairly long lasting)

8. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    How do the Jedi Master points work?

9. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    Unfortunately, neeldawg66, they don't. There was an auction setup at the Hasbro site a while ago, but it was ridiculously handled and things went to high. Hasbro has stopped putting Jedi Points on the newer figures and such.

It looks like they aren't going to be useable in the future, unless things change dramatically!

10. Si_Snootles

Si_Snootles Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003
    My first venture over from the film forum!

I have a few questions I would like your help with.

With my first baby on the way, the terrible time has come for me to depart with my beloved vintage figure collection (loose figures and loose and boxed vihcles). I am also going to sell my comics, posters puzzles etc etc.

The problem is, being out of the loop for a good many years, I can't find an obvious site to value or sell them.

Before I load them onto Ebay, can anyone point me in the direction of a few good sites that might buy the collection off me as a whole?

Also, is there a good site or book to tell me the values?

Thanks in advance.

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Si - I have two pretty good books that I have used to answer questions on this board. Both are available from Amazon.
    'A Universe of Star Wars Collectables'- Stuart W. Wells III, 2002. Covers figures, books, comics and quite a few other categories from models to household. Due to the publishing date it stops right around the time the AOTC collectables started. It also deals with items readily available in the US so if yours are foreign it might not be that good for you.
    'Star Wars Super Collectors Wishbook (2nd edition)' - Geoffrey T. Carlton, 2003. Better than 'Universe' for pictures and completeness but is basically a huge list of items by category. Also, 'Universe' has the basic action figures both by release and character - 'Collectors' does not. They complement each other nicely though.
    You could probably take the prices in both and use the average as a starting point for eBay.
    If you need some prices to get you started you could post a list in this thread and I could take a look for you. I do suggest breaking your collection up for sale on eBay - we have seen quite a few fail because they were too large or varied. (If, like me, you collect a certain character, you aren't going to buy a whole lot of figures just to get a couple you are interested in).
    I'm not sure on sites that buy collections - maybe someone else has experience with them.

12. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    Hey, LAJ, does either of your books value marketing items? I was curious to know the value of the Revenge of the Jedi banner that SWS.com recently sent me. It would have been used during 1982, I think...

13. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Si-

Why sell? I just had my first baby, and I went completely the other way. I've been buying her everything i can just to get her collection started. Besides...toys are meant to be played with. I can understand, though, if it's a financial thing--i'm a teacher so my paycheck isn't exactly death star size.

14. Si_Snootles

Jun 15, 2003
    I simply don't have the space. I have moved to house with a flat roof, and I no longer have a loft/attic.

thats has been the straw that has broken the camels back.

If I'm going to get rid of some of it, I'm going to sell the lot and free the soul!!

15. Si_Snootles

Jun 15, 2003
    I've got to pull it all out and categorise, but basically, I've got:

Complete set of loose vintage figures, but only 5 of the last 17, Lando, EV9D9, Luke Stormtrooper, A wing pilot, Imperial Gunner)

I have all the original weapons, plus several of the palitoy survival kits. All of them have the odd chip (they were played with), but are in general good condition.

Looking at what?s collectable, the best pieces I have are an original jawa with a plastic cape (mint condition, never played with because I thought he looked stupid!), blue snaggletooth and max Rebo band.

I have a variety of vehicles, in boxes. The boxes are not in good shape, but the toys are. ESP palitoy Falcon, Star destroyer play set, Rebel Transport Ship, a few mini rigs, ESP palitoy ATAT and ATST, Hoth play set.

Apart from toys, I have things like all the US and UK comics upto 1987, best one is a US issue 1, signed by Mark Hamill.

All first edition books, poster mags, blueprints, posters, Blue cards, red cards, some green and yellow, All early bantha tracks. One offs like the Ep 4 OST with poster insert, Stories on record, official SW re-release one sheet with ?Revenge? advert on it, most early one sheets, an official lucusfilm luke bespin jacket, a few of the guns. I also have an unused full cinema one sheet for Caravan Of Courage.

Last bit added is the homestead door control panel, which I pulled off the wall in Tunisia the day after filming for EpII finished.

There is plenty of other stuff, but I haven?t got round to categorising it yet. Its all in boxes in the spare room.

Do you think Ebay is the best place for me to sell it off? And should I group them?

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Rebel_Spook - 'Universe' has nothing. 'Wish Book' has advetising banners but the closest thing on 'Revenge' I could find are theatrical posters - no banners.

Si - I don't know where to start with yours. If I had the original scenery piece I would make room for it, not sell it. But if you must I think that should go on Ebay on its own. But I have a feeling you might get a PM or two on that item.
    'Wish Book' does list Palitoy items ('Universe' doesn't) so if you put up the exact items I can try looking them up for you.
    According to 'Universe' the books that are worth a decent value are the ANH US first editions (with the hardcover being especially scarce), and then it depends on condition.
    If you happen to have the UK Paul Cockburn 'Lost Jedi Adventure Game Books' ('Jedi Dawn' and 'The Bounty Hunter') I would put them on Ebay US seperately from the other books. They were not released in the US and I have seen some posts in the Lit section of US fans looking out for them.
    The TFN Collecting Forum doesn't allow trading or selling, but the
    Rebelscum boards do. You might want to check them out for selling and valuing your figures as well.

17. Xanthe_ShHarr

Xanthe_ShHarr Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2003
    Ok heres a good question for you all

Does anyone know where I could get star wars bedding, sheets, etc., in another place besides ebay???

18. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    I would try a google/yahoo search to see if there are any websites that have it for sale.

19. Si_Snootles

Jun 15, 2003
    LAJ, you are a star.

Thanks for the steer. I shall get sorting and photographing over the coming weeks.

20. Xizor@TheView

Xizor@TheView TFN Collecting, Former IK President star 3 VIP

Aug 9, 1999
    Also, check in the bedding sections at your local WM, KM or Target. I picked up some E2 bedding a few months back. Could still be lurknig about. However you won't find anything other than single bedding.

21. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    i just picked up a first edition copy of Splinter in the minds eye. I had a friend ask me how much it was worth and i never even thought about it. I told him probably like 5 bucks. not real keen of the book values. I just collect them and read them.

And help.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Depends on the condition. If it is showing its age then you are probably about right. However, 'Universe' has the following for the first editions (all prices US dollars, mint condition):

"1st HC: 7.95 [original price]. 216 pp. Del Rey #27566-7, Feb 1978. Ralph McQuarrie cover....35.00"

"1st PB: 1.95. 199 pp. Ballantine-DelRey #26062-7. April 1978. Ralph McQuarrie cover...20.00"

If you have the 1st Book Club edition it is only worth about 5.00. I have a copy of the 1st PB in pretty good condition.

23. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    not to bad i guess. I've yet to read it.

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    It's not the best SW book I have read nor is it the worst. It has been awhile since I have read it, however.

25. Rebel_Spook

May 14, 2002
    OK, as I was digging through a box of SW stuph (this is stuff that is a step cooler than other stuff) and came across a Darth Vader keychain that weighs about a pound! The only markings on it, on his back:

1995 LFL
    MADE IN CHINA

He's a gold color, with the chain attached to the top of his head, ending in a claw-type clasp.

What info is out there about this?