main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Lars and Beru?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Did Vader know the stormtroopers had killed Owen Lars and Aunt Beru?

2. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    In The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader, the troopers made a holocall (or whatever its called) to Vader asking what to do with the Lars as they had the droids in their possession but did not actually have them on the homestead at the time. When seeing the Lars, Vader recognized them and mused to himself that the couple were "still incapable of hanging on to their droids" before giving the order to execute the Lars.

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Yes. He was watching the event unfold via hologram:

[​IMG]

4. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    What a **** (edited). For that reason alone I don't see how Luke could have forgiven him.

5. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Luke wouldn't have known, he was too busy burning dead Jawas with the crazy Old Wizard, Obi-Wan Kenobi. :p

6. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

Hey! They deserved it!

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the novelization of ESB, Vader says "I destroyed your family. Take your revenge."

8. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    There is a theory that Boba Fett killed the Lars family.

9. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Which is unsupported by all evidence in both the EU and the movies.

10. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    Where is that image actually from? I'm not a huge fan of Vader watching the whole thing unfold. And now I agree with Supreme Chancellor - what an (edited: banned language).

11. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    ...and after Beru served him delicious blue milk! Ani would have been hard up if Owen hadn't let him borrow the swoop bike. What a (edited: banned language). Ungrateful little yuppie larvae.

12. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I don't believe in the whole "Vader ordered Lars and Beru's dead theory." It makes everything to orderly and neat, I prefer Star Wars to have flaws and not be wrapped up in a nice little package.

TaradosGon likes this.
  13. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    It's a piece of art by Chris Trevas, who has done a large number of Star Wars paintings in the Essential Guides. http://www.christrevas.com/starwars.html One of my favorites is a picture of Plagueis training a young Palpatine:
    [​IMG]

Preferences don't really come into play here, though. Nor is Vader ordering the Larses' deaths a "theory."

Minez01 likes this.
  14. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    Ah! I actually have the essential guide to the force, the art is very cool. Plageuis looks heaps cool in that pic.

15. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    That was in the shooting script, too (and probably shot with Prowse saying the lines).

I've always taken the line to refer to him killing Luke's father, though - partly as misinformation for the shoot, and also as a way of goading Luke. Owen and Beru aren't even mentioned past SW/ANH, while Luke continues to refer to his father in ESB.

EU stuff aside - let's stop taking such sources as definitive in the Movie forums - I don't think Vader himself gave a specific order to execute Owen & Beru, or if he did, he wasn't aware who they were, or that they were connected to his own past. It just would have been bog-standard Imperial procedure. He might simply have given a general order to kill anyone encountered during the search for the droids, and his subordinates would have been responsible for making background checks on the names for known Rebel associates and so on. Some random moisture farmer and his wife wouldn't have been brought to Vader's attention.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  16. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I've been saying the same thing for somet ime now.... People constantly quoting the EU as if it has any relevance to the PT, OT or ST would be cute - Mod edit: No need for that.

17. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I don't think that Vader regarded Owen and Beru as "family", despite Shmi's marriage to Cliegg Lars. When he met them in AOTC, there seemed to be a hostile vibe between him and Owen. He barely seemed aware of Beru's presence. The only member of the Lars family he was able to connect with was Cliegg.

18. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I'm not sure I see any hostile vibe. At worse, there is simply indifference. But he does reassure Padme "these are good people."

Although it is kinda awkward the way they just get into the ship and leave like that.....

19. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The idea that the stormtroopers need to call Vader, or that Vader would order their execution doesn't make sense to me.

As far as the stormtroopers know, these are just two farmers out in the middle of nowhere that probably refused to cooperate. I wouldn't see why they would need to make a call to Vader as to how to proceed in dealing with two arbitrary moisture farmers.

The stormtroopers attacked the jawas and covered it up by framing Tusken Raiders. There's no explicit dialogue in the films themselves to indicate they framed Tuskens for Owen and Beru's deaths, but I suspect they did (why cover up the attack on the Jawas but not on two moisture farmers?)

I figured they had strict orders to leave no witnesses that could possibly have knowledge of the Death Star.

I can't imagine that the stormtroopers kept calling Vader every time they came to a new lead.

*ring ring*

Vader: Yes?

Stormtrooper: Hi Vader, it's us again. Uh, we killed the Jawas like you asked, but now we found out they sold the droids to a man named Owen Lars. What do you want us to do with him?

Vader: Kill him.

Stormtrooper: OK, just checking. Ttyl!

*ring ring*

Vader: What?

Stormtrooper: Sorry to be a pest like this, but we found Owen's wife now, what do you want --

Vader: Killer her.

Stormtrooper: OK, that's what I thought. Just double checking Boss Man.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It was an unusual decision by that author. Still, to Vader, the Death Star plans are vitally important.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  21. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    That guy's just wrapped up in everything, isn't he? [face_laugh]

Sith-Mullet and darthbarracuda like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.