main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Last Chance: Myn and Lara >New Year, new posts, and yes, the end is nigh<

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Hijinks? I'm looking forward to them already! :)

2. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Well, here it is, at long last! The next piece of the story. many months in the waiting, and it only took about two hours to write. :)

Commentary desperately desired!

And thanks to my very valued readers, you know who you are, for your patience and unending support!

*Derisa*

?CorSec X-Wing Gamma Niner, you are [i]late[/i]? remarked the planetary controller, ?Your flight group got here twenty minutes ago!?

?You know Centrepoint Station, Control,? Myn replied as casually as he could manage, giving the ill-fitting chinstrap of Corran?s old helmet another tug, ?Always slow off the mark.?

new Republic Imtell had advised him to time his arrival for shortly after that of a system patrol, so that he could slip in behind the others with little hassle. It wasn't that the controllers had a record of sloppy admissions to Corellian airspace, just that there was little threat in admitting an X-Wing in top condition, painted in the Security agency's distinctive black and green colours.

?Roger that!? the control officer laughed. A landing authorisation flashed onto Myn?s heads-up, and he swung the little ship into a neat arc to align with the given vectors. If he weren?t so nervous, he?d probably be enjoying the view as Coronet City spread her skirts before him.

The capital?s spaceport was a hive of activity, craft coming and going, and people of a hundred species moving across from the port?s lounges to hangars and ships. As he?d been briefed, Myn checked in at the Security counter, logging in his temporary ID and purpose of this visit to the system?s centre.

New Republic Intelligence had issude him what they called a full suite: a complete identity, cards and codes and clothing in keeping with who he was supposed to be. Arominn Jidone was the name on his worn-looking identification, a name he wouldn?t have that much trouble answering to, as similar as it was to his own.

?Vacationing from Centrepoint, Officer Jidone?? asked the desk officer.

Myn nodded, hiding his nervousness behind his habitual sabacc face, an absence of expression that had stood him in good stead in the past. ?I?m hoping to hook up with...? he paused, and then decided honesty was the best policy, ?Well, she?s not really an old girlfriend,? he said, ?But she was more than a friend.?

Trained security personnel too often had an ear for the half-truth or the outright lie, and while Myn had every confidence in the Intel people who had assembled his persona for him, he would rather not too much scrutiny from the law at this point, especially as the current political climate on Corellia was somewhat touchy.

?I hear you,? the fellow said with a rueful grin, ?Women, hm?? Myn nodded, sharing in the commiseration, and the security officer returned his cards, waving him through. ?Visiting personnel are welcome to stay at the hostel two levels down from the precinct office, just off Solo Avenue and Brimsk.?

Myn thanked him for his help, and then hefted his duffel and made his way towards the exit.

- - -

Once his few things were stowed, Myn had a look around the hostel?s amenities, and was pleased to discover a data-terminal in the common area of his floor.

The room was empty except for him, and he shrugged and took a seat at the terminal, sliding his Corellian Security codecard across the scanner. He tapped in his authorisation code and was surprised by the logo that came up when he had done so. Apparently the Intelligence branch of the New Republic military really knew their stuff: he was logged into the central mainframe for the whole of the Corellian Security forces.

[I] As likely a place as any to find her,[/i] he thought, and proceeded to access the search protocols.

[color=green] Search - - -> Input name / CCIN / address / PRN [/color]

[color=blue] Name - - -> Slane, Kirney / ? / ? [/color]

[color=green] Slane, Kirney; Corellian Citizen Identity Number 5527038; female, human, age 24 years, hair red, eyes green, mass 54 K; pilot registration number...[/color]

Myn sighed as the sparse informat

3. Shy_Introvert

Shy_Introvert Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2002
    I've always wondered what would happen to these two. I'm glad you're giving me a chance to find out. I can't wait to see Myn's reaction to Ketch.

UP

4. Admiral_Lelila

Admiral_Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2001
    Nice to hear from you!
    I like how you reflected Myn's doubts and insecurities. :)

5. Chaos_Rose

Chaos_Rose Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Just found and read this wonderful, touching, funny story... dang it Derisa! Now I have to go to the book store and buy a bunch of books so that I will know who is who.

Up!

6. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Kickass, you posted again! And a great post, at that. Hopefully we don't have to wait another few monthes for the next. ;)

7. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Nah, she's keeping all her stories up regularly now that she's finished writing the ending of USJS and loosed herself from that particular ball and chain. Take it from a fellow Wes Janson fan, I think we can all start getting used to seeing Derisa's name listed among the other authors on the first four or five pages of the Fan Fiction Stories board. :D

Looking forward to seeing something of yours featured as the story of the week, Derisa! Keep up the great writing, babe!

- Rani

8. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    Much much much coolies :D I am most pleased :cool:

9. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Yay an update!!!! :D

10. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Thanks for the post, Derisa. :D Keep up the good work.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yay! I'm glad I kept it bookmarked. :)

12. Obi_Wans_love_child

Obi_Wans_love_child Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2001
    Must bookmark story so I can enjoy the further adventures of Ketch.

13. JediMike821

JediMike821 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2002
    What does "To the Top" mean? GREAT STORY!

14. Chaos_Rose

Chaos_Rose Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Boot to the thread!

Derisa? Post soon?

15. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    FINALLY!!!!

Yay!! very good post, in a style that always reads just like a real SW book!

16. Admiral_Lelila

Sep 29, 2001
    Since Derisa has left the room for a minute, I would like to ask a question.

dp4m, how do you make a bookmark on the board? ?[face_plain]
    I know how to do it on Microsoft Word.
    Thanks. :)

17. Tych_sel

Tych_sel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    At long last, we have another post! Good to see Myn following up on things while keeping his doubts alive. Its hould prove interesting when they finally encounter one another!

Force be with you,

Tych_sel

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    dp4m, how do you make a bookmark on the board?
    I know how to do it on Microsoft Word.

You bookmark the page like normal, and then you manually edit out the "replies" and "page" numbers at the end. So this one would simply be http://boards.theforce.net/post.asp?brd=10016&topic=3811534

19. Admiral_Lelila

Sep 29, 2001
    Thanks dpm4 for answering my question. I've been doing that already! :)

20. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    Up. I'm glad I found this thing again! I always liked the story and the characters.

21. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    come on, post more!

22. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Slan, all! Hope everyone's well and hale and savouring the summer.

I'm hard at work on this story and the others, and that should start paying off for you faithful few readers very soon. Actually, I am hugely honoured by the responses to this story. I do hope you like where I go with this.

Kudos and leis to Rani Veko, my betagoddess, who is doing the actual posting of the next several story posts for me as I am working with a chancy connection where I am right now. (But hey, I get to ride horses daily, so you won't hear me complaining!)

[Rani: No fair! It's not fair! She gets to ride horses daily for the next two weeks! (Well, someone had to complain!) Oh, and you're very welcome, Derisa. It's always my pleasure to betaread your work...I need a good laugh every now and then. :D j/k (She's gonna hit me for that one when she gets back, readers...)]

Here's the post, so... enjoy!

Catch you on the flip!

*Derisa*

Further research at the data terminals in his CorSec quarters led Myn to the comm listing for Slane Shipping. He tapped in the code, almost breathless with anticipation. It was an effort of will to control his reaction to seeing that almost-familiar face on the screen. The transformation into Kirney Slane had roughened some of her fine-featured delicacy, and it took him a minute to actually process the words she was saying.

"...you can leave a message on this line, or with Rij at The Crater. We'll be back on sixth day, and ready to take another haul on first day next week, after rest and refuelling. Thanks for calling on Slane Shipping!" There was a tone, and Myn switched the comm off almost by reflex. It was probably for the best, as he had no idea what he wanted to say to her.

[i]Probably better to try and speak directly to her,[/i] he thought, as he returned to the data terminal to look up the place she had mentioned.

- - -

The interior of The Crater was dim and a little smoky, but quiet in the slow heat of a Corellian afternoon. Myn slid his shades off his eyes and surveyed the denizens in an unconscious imitation of Corran Horn, seeking someone who might conceivably be the recommended Rij. [i]When in doubt, ask the puller.[/i]

"Is there a problem, Officer?" the barkeep asked as Myn tucked his shades into his shirt's front pocket, and strode over to the bar.

"Not really, no," Myn replied after a tiny pause. "I'm actually looking for a friend."

"We don't see much in the way of enforcement, Officer," the barkeep said cautiously, "there's no need. We're a good clean establishment..."He'd been polishing the same space on the counter since he'd come in, Myn realised. Some part of his brain marked that as an item of interest, but the matter of leaving a message for Kirney was more pressing.

"I'm off duty," Myn said firmly, "Actually on a furlough," he finished. "Vacation," he corrected, seeing the puller's confused expression. "Sorry, I served in the military for too long."

"Really?" asked the puller, "What branch?"

"Planetary defense," Myn responded instantly, recalling the lesson about telling the truth whenever possible, "General ground forces," he added easily.

The man seemed satisfied with that answer, and gestured to him to take a seat. Myn swung a leg over the somewhat worn cushion of the nearest stool.

"Well, if you?re on vacation, you can have a drink!" the barkeep pulled a cool glass of lomin from one of his taps and set it on the scarred bartop in front of Myn. "On the house, of course," he gave Myn a significant look before turning to polish more of the bar.

"Uh, thanks?" Myn pulled the glass towards him. "Listen, do you know a person by the name of Rij?"

He froze, and then turned towards Myn. "Yeah, I'm Rij. I thought you said you were looking for a friend..."

"I am. I commed her business this afternoon, and the recording said I could leave a message with 'Rij at The Crater'." A slight motion of his hand indicated the barkeep and the establishment around them. "So..."

Rij seemed to consider for a fe

23. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Another post!

Great job!

Hmm, do I sense political intrigue? Great grip on the Corellian System's politics and issues. :D

24. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Oooh, I just was informed about this! It's GREAT so far!!!

25. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    Great addition! Amazing.