main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Last Crusade] Was Indy naive to trust an Austrian in 1938?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Thena, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Nobody has said your opinion is not allowed. However it would be nice if you didn't resort first to condescending remarks, and then to sarcastic ones when I call you on it.
    Nobody has mocked you. I simply pointed out that your post came across as incredibly condescending.
    They're villains in the movies, not in real life. However the allegiance of someone from Austria should perhaps have been more questionable during WW2 than people from the Allied nations.
    Not really based on comic books, to the best of my knowledge, as much as on the matinee serials and B-movies from the 30's. :)

2. the_immolated_one

the_immolated_one Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 24, 2006
    Call me out? Do you think the following quote wasn't condescending:
    See how you're allowed to blow me off by saying my opinion doesn't count because I'm a not a real Indy fan anyway.
    Don't you see that as condescending? If you don't then you're just really seeing what you want to see. See it was your condescension that got me going in the first place, but let me guess are you just going to dismiss your words as playful banter, right?

Are you serious?

3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Of course I was being facetious. :p

Are you kidding? o_O

4. the_immolated_one

Sep 24, 2006

I think you really are serious.
    Flash Gordon, Ace Drummond, Smilin' Jack and Buck Rodgers were comic strips and/or novellas before they were made into movies. Comic strips would even be used as clip shows at the beginning of an episode to recall the previous episode. See "Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars".
    "Star Wars" and "Raiders" are both considered to have a comic bookish feel because the serials had a comic bookish feel.
    ;)

5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    If they'd wanted to pay homage to the comics of the time, they could have hired someone to draw a new comic book. While it's true that the matinee serials may have been inspired in some cases by comic characters, it was the serials themselves (as well as movies in general) that have always inspired Lucas and Spielberg. I mean, it's not like they chose to become comic book artists.

6. the_immolated_one

Sep 24, 2006
    You really are incorrigible.

Look, anyone who knows about Lucas knows about Lucas' love of comic books. "Raiders" was Lucas' vision and it's a comic book movie. Lucas just brought Spielberg along for the ride, however, Spielberg did make "Raiders" his own.
    It doesn't matter if Indiana Jones wasn't a comic book character straight out of a long running comic book or comic strip. What Lucas invisioned with Star Wars and Indiana Jones are comic books come to life. You're just looking at this with a letter of the law type of conviction but I'm not really sure why you're doing that.
    All of the Indiana Jones and Star Wars movies have set pieces right out of illustrated graphic novels. Yeah, the movies are based off serials but it just doesn't end there because the serial were based off comic strips, graphic novels, and comic books.
    Lucas was just as inspired by comic books and graphic novels as he was the serials. He even owned or still ownes a comic book store that treats comic books as if they were art. Look I'm not the person to talk to about this so good bye, but Michael Kaminski is. However, don't get me wrong because to me Michael Kaminski is as incorrigible as you but he appreciates the comic book/graphic novel/matinee serial thing that made George Lucas a billionaire.

BTW you can get yourself an '81 Marvel comic book version of the movie "Raiders of the Lost Ark" on ebay so they just did it backwards by making the movie and then making the comic book.

7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    There you go again, being needlessly condescending. It is a well-known fact that young kids at the time read comic books, too. Of course this includes Lucas. But you're still missing the point that the movies are more directly inspired by the serials. This is, again, why Lucas and Spielberg turned out to be movie directors instead of comic book writers/illustrators. Because while they enjoyed all forms of escapism available to them, it would be the movies that would be most influential. If you take a comic book character and just try to be faithful to the look of the comics, you might just end up with something like Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy, which is great eye candy but isn't nearly as cinematically exciting. Making cinema exciting is all about pacing, editing, the camera angles, etc. So it really takes a solid grasp of cinema as an art form to be able to take the existing film conventions and come up with the kinds of movies that Lucas and Spielberg started making in the mid-70's, and which essentially transformed the film industry.

Bottom line? They are directors, not comic book artists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.