main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Last World War I veteran, in the whole world, dies

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Ghost, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The end of an era.

Story

Last known WWI veteran Florence Green dies at 110

Florence Green never saw the front line. Her war was spent serving food, not dodging bullets.

But Green, who has died at age 110, was the last known surviving veteran of World War I. She was serving with the Women's Royal Air Force as a waitress at an air base in eastern England when the guns fell silent on Nov. 11, 1918.

It was not until 2010 that she was officially recognized as a veteran after a researcher found her service record in Britain's National Archives.

Green died Saturday at the Briar House Care Home in King's Lynn, eastern England, two weeks before her 111th birthday, the home said.

Retired Air Vice-Marshal Peter Dye, director-general of the RAF Museum, said it was fitting that the last survivor of the first global war was someone who had served on the home front.

"In a way, that the last veteran should be a lady and someone who served on the home front is something that reminds me that warfare is not confined to the trenches," Dye said.

"It reminds us of the Great War, and all warfare since then has been something that involved everyone. It's a collective experience ... Sadly, whether you are in New York, in London, or in Kandahar, warfare touches all of our lives."

She was born Florence Beatrice Patterson in London on Feb. 19, 1901, and joined the newly formed Women's Royal Air Force in September 1918 at the age of 17.

The service trained women to work as mechanics, drivers and in other jobs to free men for front-line duty. Green went to work as a steward in the officers' mess, first at the Narborough airdrome and then at RAF Marham in eastern England, and was serving there when the war ended.

(more at link)

It's also nice to see women, and the home front, get more recognition.

2. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Too bad.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This should be bigger news.

4. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Every living thing dies. Not sure why this should be news at all.

5. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    I agree Jello. I would never have known if not for this thread.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    well i agree with dani. the lines have been drawn. this would be an ironic way for world war 3 to start.

7. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    last world war i, a terrible, pointless war in which many people died, but not this man, who died many, many years later, veteran, which means a person that fought in a war, which i think most of you already know, in the whole world, apart from antarctica probably, since nobody really lives there apart from some penguins, who probably remained neutral during the war, since there were no lasers back then, and even if there were, the apparatus to create them would not have been small enough for a penguin to comfortably wear, dies.

8. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Sad day.

I wonder if future generations will even comprehend the song "Willie McBride."
    Will the words ever be "relevant" to anyone ever again.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It was a woman. And she served as an auxillary. Anyway, I agree with ASO.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh, I think it's significant. And look at how long she lived. That's pretty amazing.

Both of my grandfathers, who were World War II veterans (US Navy) have died in the past five years, and one thought I've had is how many first hand stories are being lost with the loss of the veterans of these wars. Of course for many of them, the experience was too traumatic to ever mention again--my maternal grandfather would never talk about it, and my paternal grandfather only made a few mentions close to the end of his life.

This lady at 110 probably had some stories.

11. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    lol, I would hope so.

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    This

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Of course the last WWI vet had to die sometime, that's not news.

What's news, and should have been bigger news, is that it just happened. It should be better acknowledged.

14. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    There is some grainy footage from around the time of the first world war where there were folks still living that fought in the American Civil War. They had reunions of both the North and South and they got together and danced and partied. They exchanged stories and the like.

Before too much longer in our lifetimes we will lose the WW2 veterans. At least in the 20th century we will always have recorded images to look back upon to pass down to future generations.

Nobody knows how Lincoln actually 'sounded' giving the Gettysburg Address do they? Something to think about. [face_thinking]

15. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    That's just a theory.

16. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    By all accounts, Lincoln had a high-pitched, reedy voice (nothing like the deep, statesmany voice that actors always give him). His beard acted as a slight mute/muffle.

17. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    did you even read the opening post? it was a woman who died...

18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    did you read jabba-wocky's post? he already pointed that out. and you guys both read duende's post about laser carrying penguins, and somehow felt you had to point out that he got the gender wrong? for shame.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Color me surprised.

20. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    hey you idiot, it was a woman, not a man!!! get it right, suckjob!!!!

21. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Oh, sorry Ross, I forgot that lobsters might not die

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Latinos are impervious to death, apparently.

23. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Whaaat. Why didn't anyone tell my abuelo. :(

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, my great grandma Vigil wasn't notified either. :(

25. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Wow, this really highlights the importance of getting knowledge about the past before it slips away. We need to take in all that these witnesses have to tell us so we can make sure the mistakes made in their time are not repeated in the future.