main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Learn the ways of the Force(.net) - the banner idea thread - Request for Christmas

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Fallen-Hero, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    Thanks [face_blush]

I got the new two days off and my Christmas Shopping is done (with the exception of one or two people) so I should have time to devote to banner making ^_^

2. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    That are good news! :D

(Not just that you have time for the banner, but also have done everything right in time. :) )

3. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    I got bitten by an idea and currently working on it. Unfortunately Skiara, there might not be any Ahsoka... let's just say no one wants to google images of her ok. [face_worried]

I'll try to have a rough draft up by tonight, so keep an eye out.

4. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    So you mean, that I can bother you more when I google Ahsoka? [face_devil]

Honestly, it's completely fine, if there's no Ahsoka in it. ...and I'm starting to get curious what kind of idea you have now. :D

5. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    No! For the love of Merlin, no more please! I'm already scarred for life.

//edit: Question, can I toy around with the forum's name a tiny bit. Say 'Welcomes New Users' instead of 'Welcome New Users'?

6. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    I'm heading off to watch The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and I wanted to post the banner I came up with before leaving. If the answer to my previous question about tweaking with the forum's name a tiny bit is a 'no', then no worries, I can easily erase the 's'. I also took the time to add the complete back banner image onto the preview so you all can see what the complete thing looks like. It's an idea that I had floating about in my mind when I found that picture of the Rebels and so with that, I leave you with the preview.

In Morgaine's honor: NITPICKING SEASON IS OPEN! :p

[image=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/antillesjanson/Public%20Zone/wnuholidays.png]

7. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Yay! :p

I'm not quite in the mood for nitpicking this morning, but I do want to say that I think it's a lovely idea. :D I am particularly fond of those little LEGO guys in the reply image (is that Indiana Jones there in the middle, BTW? Sure look like his hat! :p) and the R2 bearing gifts.

Oh, and what is that thing in the background image, just left of R2? I think I'm spotting some weird face there, but maybe I'm just seeing things. 8-}

I like the "Welcomes New Users", if that's okay with the admins. On the line above, maybe I'd try something like "snowball fighting force" instead of just "... fight" - just a thought though, not sure if that even makes a whole lot of sense, I'll leave that decision to a native speaker. ;)

8. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I like it so far as well! :D

To your question, in my view it's pretty fine to do this little twist. It makes sense and the forums name and the board name is still clear to see. :)

And to the nitpicking season:

- How about giving the TFN-Snowball Fighting Force Welcomes New Users a different color? Maybe the one you use in the header as main color?

- How about adding a little "shining border" around the chain of lights? If it's possible of course.

:)

Morgaine, I see a face next to R2 as well. Looks like a ghost from Ghostbusters... :confused:

9. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    Yep, looks like he found a vortex or something and ended up discussing stuff with the Snowtroopers :p

I'll give that a go. ^_^

Shall try that, though I might have to darken it considering the background is already rather pale.

Make it look like the lights are light? Sure, I can try that.

You guys remember on the previous page I told Gunny I would add a snowman in that banner... well I found this really cute picture of a Lego Stormtrooper building a snowman and couldn't help but feel the R2 area was rather lonely. So your 'ghostbuster' is in fact the Stormie's snowmen [face_laugh]

10. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    So Skiara, I really can't get a purple-ish colour working, this is the closest I can get.

[image=http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/antillesjanson/Public%20Zone/wnuholidays-1.png]

11. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    I like this banner better with the shining lights and the different title color. I also can see now the stormie building a snowman. Nice! :D Could be even a bit more in the front. :)

Just two more suggestion:

- I think we have to add "TFN" in there, so I would like to suggest to use "TheForceNet's Snowball fighting force - welcomes new users".

- You said that you try to do the text darker. Is it possible to do it still a bit more darker? I think that would work even better. :)

- Ok, three suggestions, can you add snowballs which are thrown by the various people in the banner? I thought of this when I wrote "snowball fighting force" - so far we don't have a snowball fight in there. ;) :)

12. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Ahh, now that "face" is making sense! :D I can see the little stormtrooper now. For some reason, I thought it was some kind of weird robot arm before... 8-}

Hmm, adding snowballs sounds fun, but I don't know how practical that is... none of the guys are really in the correct position to be throwing anything.

Vader's helmet is such a nice shiny black though... I could see a snowball landing right there. [face_mischief] (Or would that look just ridiculous?)

13. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    You know, a snowball on that helmet might explain why the Snowtroopers aren't so eager to join the others and the Rebels are hiding in their trench [face_laugh]

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Ok, it's almost too late, since the final/main Christmas time starts tomorrow and I'm not sure how much time Grimby/Laj have left to upload banners. But still... How fare are you, Fallen? [face_batting]

15. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    Yeah sorry, I haven't been near my computer that much lately, and probably won't for a while either. I did the fast tweaking stuff aka the font colouring, but the snowball on Vader's helmet is just a tiny bit out of my skills range for the moment. I've tried, but it's not very pretty what I can do so... anyways, I've e-mailed you what I got and I'm sorry for having dragged this far longer than necessary :oops:

16. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    No prob. Christmas stress is getting everyone of us and it was a request with not much time to do it. I'll take a look at the email. :)

*checks email*

I haven't got one so far. Could you check you sent folder or sent it to me again? :)

17. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009
    That's because I kind of typed the post while adding the final touches and wrapping it all up [face_laugh]

It should be there now though, as it just got sent.

18. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Oh! Then I was way too fast. [face_laugh]

Yep, now it's there and I'll see what I can do. :)

19. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    The new WNU's Winter banner is up! :D

Well done, Fallen! =D= Enjoy your colored time! :D

20. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    The new banner looks great! :)

21. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    I especially like the guy towards the left. :p Whoever he is. ^^

Very colorful banner. The Christmas lights are a great touch.

22. Morgaine

Mar 19, 2001
    Yay, it's up! :D

Nice work, Fallen. :cool:

23. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I LOVE the banner :D Great job!!

24. Fallen-Hero

Sep 5, 2009