main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Least favorite Star Wars film and Why (Revised)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBPirate, May 10, 2020.

?

Which Star Wars film is your least favorite?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

19 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

43 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

6 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

3 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

42 vote(s)
    15.7%
  8. Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

62 vote(s)
    23.2%
  9. Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

87 vote(s)
    32.6%
  1. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    This thread continues off from the original created by myself and later revised by @Bazinga'd and has been mod-approved to reopen. Feel free to discuss which Star Wars film is your least favorite and why.

Remember to focus the discussion on why the particular film you chose is your least favorite and avoid going into bashing territory. I decided to have this thread focus specifically on the Saga films, however I'll edit the poll if there is enough demand.

2. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    The Rise of Skywalker - scrambled egg movie. The movie was like a bad omelet.

3. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    The Rise of Skywalker just felt so stale and dull to me. I didn't care about the majority of the characters, the plot felt messy and poorly thought out, and the return of Palpatine felt like a desperate attempt to garner fan interest through nostalgia rather than something that was well planned and earned. Ultimately, I just couldn't really get into this movie when I watched it and just felt like I was obligated to see the end of this series I'd been following for most of my life. It may not be the worst SW movie from a critical point of view, but it's definitely the one I have the least interest in going back to watch again.

4. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    AOTC, by far. Which sucks, because it starts off my favorite era of Star Wars. Still, I absolutely hate Anakin/Padme stuff, and that is like 60% of that movie.

5. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    The Rise of Skywalker. I watched every SW movie on a loop when they came out for home viewing but I've seen TROS twice, including once on the big screen.

The editing is awful. It's a compost heap of a structure that leads to a pretty boring 'epic' space battle. That's not to say I hate it as there's a lot in it that I do like (the main cast is excellent), but my fingers are crossed for a director's cut that makes it flow more.

It only further amplifies the problem that arises when an entire saga isn't mapped out properly but just added to like modules. Disney rushed the sequels out, handing them to directors with conflicting visions, when they could have been so much more.

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    The Last Jedi. Inconsistent and/or downright baffling characterization and narrative focus, a muddled plot that never reaches any interesting conclusion for me, no standout action sequences. Oh, and DJ is the most annoying character in the series for me.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Mine was TLJ, it is now TFA.

Rey is not nearly as great as I had remembered.

Finn drinks from an animal trough.

Han is murdered.

No Luke until the last minute.

Mystery boxes set up just for the hell of setting up mystery boxes and there is no payoff. That’s my biggest issue.

TLJ, despite its ongoing “grown-ass men who throw tantrums deserve pity” theme, actually does better by Finn than TFA does and to some extent better than TROS does.

8. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Hey, @anakinfansince1983. Do you think you could pin these new threads and replace the old ones?

Bazinga'd likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yep, will do.

DBPirate likes this.
  10. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Tough call between all the sequels. I think TLJ is the worst even as it’s own movie.

On the other hand,TROS has the kiss, so I’ll go with that one.

TROS made both Lucas trilogies pointless.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The Phantom Menace. As much as I dislike the Anakin/Padme stuff in AotC, I can at least rationalize their social ineptitude. She's been raised since childhood to be a politician, he's been raised since childhood to be a warrior monk. It's not shocking to me that they're painfully (literally and figuratively) bad at flirting.

With TPM, I just don't think the movie has an interesting enough driving plotline. We're meant to believe that the stakes of the film are life/death for the people of Naboo, but that's difficult to reconcile without actually seeing any of them. Naboo might as well be unpopulated save for the characters we spend time with, as gorgeous a locale as it is. The logic behind the film's 2nd act is sketchy at best, and I just genuinely find Jar Jar to be unbearably insufferable. Every time I watch the film, I wind up super invested in what's going on with Anakin, Padme, and Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan during the intercut finale, and then Jar Jar shows up to flail around and make ridiculous noises, and it completely sucks me out of the film.

12. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Toss up between TFA and TROS. I will go with TROS tho.

TFA is just a remake of a better film with worse characters. The Starkiller Base finale is one of the worst moments of the saga, the lack of character development, the bland planets, and its biggest sin is how it revels in its anti-PT self, made obvious with the "we will make you forget those prequels and redeem SW" marketing. That being said, it still works as a movie.

TROS, on the other hand, is some of the worst pacing I've seen in a movie in years. The plot is all over the place, and it's barely interesting. Rey killing Palpatine is so hollow and unearned. This is the first SW film that I was actively waiting to end. I groaned at the kiss, rolled my eyes at the "Rey Skywalker" moment, and didn't even get a physical cameo from Anakin, which would have been the only saving grace in my eyes.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  13. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    TFA is the worst Star Wars movie for me. The whole premise of it to be is very pessimistic: that the New Jedi Order created by Luke failed within a generation as did the New Republic spearheaded by Leia, and, as if that wasn't a depressing enough situation, Han and Leia's marriage also disintegrated and the one child they had turned to the Dark Side and became a mass-murderer. This setup also makes it very hard for me to believe that anything will be different this time around when TROS ends so the ST in that way just ends up feeling very nihilistic to me whether that was the artistic intent behind it or not.

TFA also just feels a lot like a rehash of ANH to me. What is the main plot of the movie? To take out the Death Star on steroids known as Starkiller Base. We'd already seen the Death Star done twice in the OT, we really didn't need to see it done again in a Star Wars movie, especially in the episode that comes directly after ROTJ. Snoke feels like the dollar store version of Palpatine, the First Order versus the Resistance seems like a repeat of the conflict between the Empire and the Rebels, and Han's death on Starkiller Base borrows shamelessly from Obi-Wan's death on the Death Star in ANH. Also, many of the characters are easy to slot with their ANH counterparts: Han is Obi-Wan, Poe is young Han part two, Rey is young Luke Skywalker part two, Snoke is Palpatine, and Kylo is Vader if Vader spent time angsting and soliloquizing in ANH. I also think it was a mistake to have it immediately info-dumped on us that Kylo was Han and Leia's son (let that be a bit of a surprise later on, I think) and have Lors San Tekka right away foreshadow his redemption with a very on the nose speech about how Kylo, unlike the First Order, didn't arise from darkness and can't deny the truth that is his family. Like imagine how much less fearsome Vader would be if ANH had begun with a random Rebel saying that Vader didn't arise from darkness and couldn't deny the truth that was his family--that he was Luke and Leia's father. Got to build up some suspense before dropping these revelations.

Despite that, I do enjoy Ridley's depiction of Rey and the fact that she is the first main character female Jedi of a Star Wars film. I also like the friendships between Finn and Poe as well as between Finn and Rey. Han and Leia's farewell does feel on point as well. Overall, it succeeds as being a fun action movie, but it clocks in as my least favorite Star Wars movie for the reasons I stated in the first two paragraphs. I don't hate it--I don't hate any Star Wars movie--but I do feel that if it had been better constructed, the ST as a whole could have been stronger. To me, TFA was a weak foundation on which a rather shaky ST was ultimately built.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    AotC. I don't like any of the characters since Qui-gon died, the "plot" meanders from one loose thread to another and doesn't tie them together even in the sequel, and the action scenes are nonsense. There's nothing in there that I want to see. Or hear.

15. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I think it's still TPM, though I've felt a bit on recent re-watches that it's real close between that and AOTC. I like both films but with TPM the combination of Jake Lloyd and Jar Jar I think just puts it over the edge. I think Pym made a good point about the stakes in TPM as well, especially regarding the Gungan/droid battle which is played more for laughs than what an actual battle should be.

16. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    The Rise of Skywalker - It's entertaining on the whole and has some real good moments but overall I just scratch my head about it. The pacing at the beginning goes at lightspeed literally and figuratively, the whole Palpatine thing doesn't work at all for me, Williams score is serviceable but isn't that memorable, they introduce new characters who fall flat, and everything on Exegol doesn't feel like Star Wars one bit (a sacrificial ritual so Palpatine's spirit can transfer to Rey turning into him draining their life force to get his power back all set on the most drab set piece in all of the films, that's not Star Wars to me). Like I said it's entertaining but when I start to actually think about the plot in detail everything about it unravels real quickly.

17. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    TLJ by far.

The most irritating things were changing Luke Skywalker's character, as well as using the hyperspace travel as a weapon towards another spaceship was absurd. Because of that we've seen all those retcons and the wasting of time in TRoS, I believe TRoS is bad also because of TLJ. It was like a domino effect in the Sequels Trilogy after a terrible Star Wars movie (it's not a bad movie, it's a terrible Star Wars movie). We also know that Rian Johnson changed the original scenario for TLJ, so that's also why TRoS should've changed according to TLJ.

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    The Rise of Skywalker. It was easily the single most infuriating movie experience I've had in my entire life. I've never felt like a film or director was trying to flip me off before, but JJ accomplished the impossible where it felt like JJ was sticking his middle finger through the screen at me - this one did it! I used to think I'd never dislike a Star Wars film more than The Force Awakens (due to the rehash and anti-prequel aspect), but that was before I saw this film.

It single-handedly ruined the plot of Episodes I-VI (the REAL saga) by invalidating the prophecy of the Chosen One and bringing the Sith back. It took Anakin's achievements and gave them all to REY. Who had zero training in the ways of the Force by an actual Jedi (Leia doesn't count, it was made very clear in JJ's OTHER film she did not continue that path, you can't have it both ways). The film itself is just one long endless action scene that tries to copy the "pulling the strings" angle of Palpatine that the PT and the OT both did miles better.

And then to make Rey a PALPATINE? Are you serious?! This was never about the Palpatines, it was about the Skywalkers - the overall story is Anakin's (he didn't even appear in TROS), and the ST's was supposed to be about the grandkids according to George himself.

I will never see this movie again. Thank goodness for The Clone Wars and The Mandalorian or I'd be a very bitter Star Wars fan right now, because I had never been more insulted by a movie in my entire life!

I hope Disney has learned their lesson. LISTEN TO GEORGE LUCAS! Don't vomit all over us with corporate-filtered Star Wars.

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  19. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The Last Jedi

An ugly movie in both visuals and morals, that goes against all the themes that made Star Wars so timeless and interesting to me. It reduces any potentially interesting setups from TFA into literal nothings. It apes ESB and ROTJ to an insane amount without ever changing it up to fit the new character dynamics, leaving it hollow and degrading certain characters. It has some atrocious 'action', such as the black and grey ships against pure black background you can barely see that is the space chase. It has complete deus ex machinas out of nowhere.

TROS has weird eclectic pacing and no weight to it, and is an awful climax to the series, for sure, but was always gonna be hobbled by having to follow up the OT retread that TLJ doubled down on (I'm slightly warmer on TFA than I once was, there are a few nice designs and character beats, and the pacing and structure are competent, besides the big plot resets and lazy design).

20. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    The Last Jedi

I don't hate any Star Wars film and find value in each, including this one.

But ultimately I find the film to be the least fun and enjoyable of the bunch, not really helped by the fact that nearly all the characters are incredibly unlikable to me, with Finn and BB-8 being the exceptions.

21. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    hmmm,

out of the nine films listed I'd say the one I watch the least would be The Empire Strikes Back.

I don't hate it, I wouldn't even say I dislike it, but it's the one that's a chug to get through for me.

22. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    Solo. It's just a pointless movie with an awful, awful lead actor. It simply doesn't need to exist.

But as for the main saga - TFA. It's pretty much the exact opposite of what I want from Star Wars - shallow, no world building, all action constantly, no new ideas. Not to mention what it meant for the franchise as a whole in terms of setting in motion uninteresting and narrow plots. **** that film. TLJ and TROS never stood a chance following it.

23. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    TLJ, if only because it's fundamentally a nihilist film

24. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    AotC is easily my least favorite, and probably always will be.

It barely holds together as a story. There’s this whole mystery regarding Sidious and the clones, and the clues are basically handed to the Jedi. The answers are staring them right in the face, and yet they don’t acknowledge any of it at all. The movie just “fizzles out.” I get that “the dark side is clouding their vision,” but I can only stretch my own imagination so far to make that feel believable to me.

Furthermore, the movie needs the Clone Wars to fix its own plot holes. If it weren’t for the show, then eliminating AotC’s existence practically makes RotS into a better film (cause then things like Anakin and Padme’s romance and the twist with the clones would suddenly become a lot more believable). As bad as some of the other movies may be, I can’t even say THAT about any of them. Only this one!

25. Paleof

Paleof Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2019
    TROS because the plot is nonsensical and it resolves the saga in the dumbest way possible. Rey beats Palpatine because of the magical power of two lightsabers. Anakin's sacrifice is cheapened. Palpatine acts like a fool and is nowhere near the menacing villain he was. Rey is now a Palpatine because apparently JJ thinks force lightning is genetic.