main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #1: Broken, part 1 (of 6) (release discussion)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Due to the tremendous response and speculation to Legacy's announcement, I've decided to make a separate "release thread" for Legacy, so all the new readers and fans looking to check out this series and join in the converation don't have to wade through 14+ pages of speculation to get to the actual release discussions.

But, so as to not cut off the prior conversation, the (now-relabeled) pre-release discussion thread will remain open for awhile.

[image=http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/13/13453.jpg]

Star Wars: Legacy #1

Writer: John Ostrander
    Penciller: Jan Duursema
    Inker: Dan Parsons
    Colorist: Brad Anderson
    Cover Artist: Adam Hughes

The future of Star Wars is here in an all-new series set more than a century after Return of the Jedi and the New Jedi Order!

The Jedi Temple is attacked, an Emperor is betrayed, and the Sith are born anew! A lot can happen in a hundred years, but all of the above happens just in this first issue! Not since Luke Skywalker first stepped aboard the Millennium Falcon has the galaxy seemed like such a vast, exciting, dangerous place!

This is a perfect jumping-on point for any reader- an epic beginning to an untold chapter of the greatest adventure in the universe!

Pub. Date: June 21, 2006
    Format: Full color, 32 pages
    Price: $2.99

Pnline Preview

2. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Well atleast the art looks good.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Needs more cowbell.

4. Behold_Galvatron

Behold_Galvatron Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    Walked into Borders today and what do I see on the comic racks? Legacy #1?! Yep it was there, not sure why it was out before tomorrow but I picked it up so without further ado some spoilers are in order.....

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

EXTENSIVE SPOILERS HIGHLIGHT TO READ
    Opening is the same as the preview pages with the first page beging Kryat's log recapping what has occured, next few pages involves the massacare of the Jedi at Ossus. Cade and his Master Sazen are ordered by Kol Skywalker to get the younglings aboard a ship and flee. Cade objects to this but Kol sternly orders him to go anyway. Kol and Sazen are confronted by Darth Nihl and several other sith with Maul like tats. The Nihl cuts off Sazen's arm then shoots a laser from his left wristband into him, killing him. Kol then leaps in front of Sazen's body to defend it.

Cade is watching this from the ship with the younglings and leaps out of the ship saber in hand to help his father. Cade does well in knocking one sith out with a kick to the face but Kol tells Cade that he must consider the lives aboard the vessel and leave at once with Master Sazen. "You're a Skywalker Cade! Act like one! Help your master onto the Shuttle and leave!"

On the shuttle, Sazen is muttering his last works until Cade grabs him and looks like some type of force lightening as a means of reviving him. Meanwhile, Kol is surrounded on all sides by Stormtroopers and Sith when the Nihl shoots force lightening at him, killing Kol. Cade then swears vengence on the Sith, but Sazen tells him such talk would only dishonor his father. Imperial fighters approach the shuttle and Cade, with disapproval from Shoda takes a new Model X-Wing in the shuttle and flies out to combat the imperial fighters. Sazen comments that when Cade brought him back from the edge of life and death, he felt Cade touch the dark side. Cade destroys some Imperial fighters but then his fighter is overwhelmed and destroyed. Everyone aboard the shuttle believes him dead except Sazen who says his Master-Apperentice relationship with Cade was enchanced and he knows he survived. They are unable to go around for another pass to retrive him and are forced to leave Ossus and go into hyperspace. Sazen swears to find Cade

Cut to Courscant, which is confirmed as the Throneworld for the Empire (so maybe that makes Bastion military capital with Courscant as political?). Its also mentioned that the GA had made Courscant its captial again. Also VERY odd error here as Morlish Veed is named as a Grand Admiral and NOT a Moff as in Legacy #0. No white uniform either, perhaps at the conclusion of the Sith Imperial War he was granted the rank of Grand Admiral? (which seems to go right below Emperor)

In the throne room, Veed is giving his report to Emperor Fel and his "fellow moffs" (which may mean he holds both the rank of Grand Admiral and Moff)on the end of the Sith-Imperial war, stating that the Jedi are scattered, the war is over and the Empire is victorious. Darths Krayt, Maladi, Nihl and Wyyrlok arrive in the throneroom and are greated by Fel, who thanks them for their assistance and asks "what reward would you name?" Krayt responds "Your Life, Emperor Fel" and then kills the four Imperial Knights guarding Fel. Veed holds the moffs back, telling them there is nothing they can do. Moff Geist accuses him of knowing this was going to happen. Krayt then kills Fel

Krayt explains that Fel's heart was not into unifying the galaxy and that he only supported the war due to political necessity. He then declares that the galaxy needs a man of vision (Veed smiles) then states that "I am that man of Vision, I am the new Emperor" (Veed's expression fades). Krayt sits on the throne and declares that by virtue of his rank, Veed must swear alligence to him, which Veed does (although Krayt's hand is glowing when Veed kneels so perhaps it might not have been as willing). The other moffs and Imperial Director Calixte then follow suit per Krayt's comnmand. As Veed and Calixte leave, he mutters that the plan was for him

5. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    Needs more cowbell.

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

"I got a fever! And the only perscription ... is more cowbell!!"

6. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    I'm really psyched about the start of this series.

7. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Must...not...read...spoilers...

At least I can be fairly certain that I'll find it tomorrow.

*crosses fingers

8. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Yeah! I work @ Barnes and Noble and was stunned when I pulled it out of the magazine box - I mean, I usually get my comics 3- 4 weeks behind the regular comic bookstores ! Holy Vishnu!!!

9. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Yea, Im really looking forward to this, too, and Im a guy who hadnt bought a comic book in well over ten years before Legacy 0. Cant wait to pick this up tomorrow on my lunch break.

10. Dunc T'racen

Dunc T'racen Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    Hey, I just want to note now that starwars_eu is sponsoring a Legacy #1 IRC chat (similiar to the Betrayal chat) next Sunday. I'll have more details in a day or so, but I thought some advance warning might be in order.

11. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    I'm somewhat angry that it apparently got shipped out to half the buyers on the 15th.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Galvatron- what is the story title? (usually listed on the interior cover) And does is specify the number of parts?

13. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    Duursema said earlier here that it was a 6-parter.

14. Behold_Galvatron

Behold_Galvatron Jedi Youngling

May 7, 2005
    "Broken" (VERY fitting one at that :D )No one of six listed but the end of the story does say to be continued next issue so it does look to be part of an arc

15. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I need about the next 8 years of novels to come out tomorrow so I can fill in the gaps!

Epiphany!

I hate having to wait to fill in gaps.

16. Skidder

Skidder Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2000
    Just finished it. Excellent. Moves fast like the movies. Only complaint was that after being succesfully hooked into it, I ran out of pages. I think I will need to get another copy to keep one pristine. Thanks John and Jan.

17. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    As I said in the pre-release discussion thread this was an excellent opening.

And the (brief) interraction between Kol and Cade reminded me of Obi-Wan and Anakin.

Cade is like Anakin in many ways, whereas his father seemed more like Obi-Wan/Luke.

John, Jan you delivered a good start I hope it continues on.

18. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I loved it. I can't wait for the rest.

It said that Darth Krayt was in stasis. This means there's no telling how long he's been around. He may have gone into stasis at any time in the past, and just awakened in the time he needed to plot his coup. This means he could be anyone from Jacen to Quinlan to Darth Bane.

19. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    wow, just finished reading it. better than i expected.

the worst part is that #2 isn't out yet

also now i'm getting the urge to buy all of the njo, dark nest, and legacy just to fill in the time gap :_|

my "who is darth krayt" theory: a sith from the Bane era sith war who was thought dead before the battle of Ruusan.

20. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    Something to chew on:

It says Krayt was in stasis. Based on other info we've been given in the #0 issue and Insider, it would make sense to think that he grew up during the NJO era. That seems most likely.

But, if he was around before that somehow, then we might look at something peculiar: LOTF has a lot of elements that are pretty close (but not exactly) to what Lucas and Mark Hamill had, in the past, said publicly about the so-called "Sequel Trilogy." One of the things that hasn't appeared yet in LOTF that was mentioned for that trilogy would've been a character somehow frozen since Episode III (though it's not clear from the article if they mean the final Prequel or Return of the Jedi, given that ROTJ was to be Episode III before the 9-film statements started). Perhaps they're using that concept for Krayt . . .

21. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    My first reaction:

Thus does Dark Horse continue the Star Wars tradition of having characters on their covers that do not appear in the story :p

22. Master_Veila

Master_Veila Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 2, 2006
    All I want to know is if Darth Maladi is in it. For some reason I just see her as the most deadly/terrifying sith of Legacy.

Tempted to sneak out of work early, and most definately get caught, and go get Legacy. There are hard decisions for me to make.

23. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    Something I found interesting...Krayt says to put out bounties and track down the Jedi, but make the bounties more for them alive than dead since some might be turned. Doesn't that go against Nihl and Kol's "No demand for our surrender, Sith?/All Jedi must die" lines at the beginning? Or is that just another example of Krayt being the voice of reason among the Sith and not a hothead like Nihl?

That's another thing...Krayt really is more moderate than previous Sith we've seen (with the exception of Lumiya possibly). Sure, he wants power and he wants control but only for the purpose of bringing order to a shattered galaxy. Not like Veed who just wants power for power's sake.

24. Randy_Stradley

Randy_Stradley Dark Horse Comics Editor and Author star 2 VIP

Apr 23, 2002
    As has been stated elsewhere, the "conceit" of the covers is that they hearken back to the original stills from ANH -- where you had the actors posing in-character (usually against an almost blank background) in a variety of tableaus that didn't actually appear in the films. Just imagine the "actors" from Legacy taking time out between scenes to pose for the unit still phtographer while the crew and director are busy setting up the next shot. [face_mischief]

25. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    I actually love these cover shots, and I agree with the style you've done them. But the question is, can you keep them going for 13 issues? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.