main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #1: Broken, part 1 (of 6) (release discussion)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Clearly he's not concerned with legality. It's a coup!

2. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    It's only a (successful) coup if the incumbent is killed or otherwise neutralized.

Roan Fel was not.

3. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    well with the next issue being 7 years in the future it will give some clues asto what has happened ;)

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Like I've said in your Empire timeline threads, I don't see the 'Byss-based empire' as a constitutionally different entity. Essentially, the original Galactic Emperor said "look, I'm here!" and reclaimed the throne that was his. His successors post-Endor, after all, only held the throne in regency and stewardship, after all. The throne was never actually filled by anyone else.

5. Maximillian-Veers

Maximillian-Veers Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, it is obvious that Krayt possesses the support of some, if not all, influential Moffs, which helps his position considerably. That being said, I'm sure you are going to see a big Imperial Civil War heating up with Fel vs. Krayt factions.

6. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    He was removed from office, his officials pledged loyalty to the man on the throne out of fear or other reasons, he's in control of the capital...so far the coup is successful. We don't know what Roan does in issue #2 yet, but thus far it's going very well. Not perfect, not complete, but well done.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's why I wonder about the office of emperor.

Is it an office, or is there an aspect of the imperial dignity involved? Is it inherent to the person or to the office?

And does the mofference even have the authority to strip him of his powers? It depends on where he got them from, of course.

If, in fact, his power does come from the moffs, then I shall cease calling him emperor henceforth. It's highly inappropriate.

8. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    It would appear that the Emperor is an inheritable position, but it's also possible the Moffs put the Fels there in the first place.

But again, legality doesn't seem to really enter into it. It's a coup attempt. Krayt and the Moffs betrayed Emperor Fel. Legal or not, it doesn't really matter so long as Krayt occupies the capital and the loyalty of important officials.

9. Maximillian-Veers

Apr 27, 2005
    It's not as if plenty of history's Monarchs didn't come to the throne through the wrongful death of their predecessor and his or her whole line and the threat of continued violence. "Might makes Right" becomes "Divine Right" given a few hundred years of history...

10. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Yeah, I remember those discussions now. I'm still of the opinion that the Byss-centric Empire and preceding one are separate entities, since they both existed simultaneously and had drastically different political/command structures. One was an Imperial dictatorship; the other, a theocracy.

Then again, I also see four total Republics: the pre-Ruusan one, the post-Ruusan one, the pre-Byss one, and the post-Byss one, even though most of the material insists on lumping the former two and latter two into the same entity.

Anyway, like you said, this has already been discussed elsewhere.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The difference is that the Sith said that it didn't matter if Roan Fel was alive because Krayt was Emperor. They weren't being symbolic, either. They referred to moffs loyal to the throne, suggesting that Krayt occupied it. In other words, they suggested he was legally emperor.

This is why I wonder at how the office works. For a coup, it's obviously a failure if the emperor still lives. They may hold power, but certainly not the throne.

12. Emperor3171

Emperor3171 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2000
    What I find interesting is that the population is so tame. This isn't Palpatine charming and manipulating his way into creating a throne. This is "Hi, I'm going to kill everyone in this room and claim the throne" and the military accepts this, as does the population. Even if there is a Civil War in issue 2, it means enough support for the blatant murder of the Emperor exists to pull this off. It rather hard to have a coup if the military promptly arrests you. This does not bode well for the stability of the Empire.

13. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Well the Sith have been public for about 3 years before they make the coup, so the public probably knew just how many Sith there were, and what they were capable of.

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Did they refer to Moffs? They seemed to merely indicate Moffs now loyal to Krayt. There's definitely something interesting going on here politically, but I'm not sure legality really matters here. How many coups here in the real world occur by merely ousting the government and commanding enough forces to make sure they don't come back? Legitimacy is not in question here, really, just practicality. Even if Krayt killed Fel, by your definition the coup wouldn't be successful because Fel has an heir - Marasiah is next in line to the throne. So long as the Fels hold no power, and Krayt wields enough to keep things under control until things settle down, the throne is whatever Krayt says it is. It's a government take over.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No, the heir could easily be disinherited. Even under an inheritive monarchy, the heir isn't officially anything until they've been vested with powers.

The fact that the emperor is still alive means that Krayt isn't the emperor, even IF the coup succeeded. In other words, he'd need to do better than just sit on a chair. That's all that happened. We saw him walk in, kill a decoy, and get the approval of a mofference under duress. We never even saw him take over the actual reins of government.

16. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Well that'd be kind of boring to show wouldn't it? The Sith still rule the galaxy in issue #2. Marasiah is on the run. Give Krayt a little slack: his entire scene couldn't have been more than ten minutes, and it was clearly intended to show us that Krayt had wrested power. Let him have his little nap for his health problem, and then he's got the whole rest of the day to have the Moffs start pushing people around.

17. Emperor3171

Jan 19, 2000
    Yes, and Order 66 showed us what happens to Force-users vs the galaxy. The Jedi Order had 10,000 at the time of TPM, iirc. There are over 1,000,000 members worlds of the Republic at that time. So if the Empire's population really wants to get rid of the Sith, they've more than got the numbers to. But apparently neither the population nor the military cares enough about the attempted murder of their Emperor to do anything.

18. Maximillian-Veers

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, this all depends on how Krayt plays it. He did kill a body double of Emperor Fel. As far as the general public of the Galaxy are concerned, they can be told whatever Krayt wants them to be told, as they are far enough removed that they will only recieve the news the Empire wants to get out. They can say he killed Fel or that he died in an accident and show Roan Fel's double's body as evidence, and even manipulate things to make it seem that Krayt was placed on the throne leagally. Should the real Fel appear and attempt to prove them wrong, they can claim that it is he that is the fake and the work of Vongist or Pro-Alliance agents attempting to stir up disent against the Government.

19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    You're forgetting two things:
    1) The Jedi went up against greater forces, whereas the Sith here are the greater forces. If the Sith are in control of the government and the military, the rest of the galaxy can "bring it on" so to speak. We also don't know what the Sith numbers are at this time.
    2) The Jedi were far less likely than the Sith to eliminate their enemies with extreme prejudice.

20. Emperor3171

Jan 19, 2000
    1) The Jedi had to be tricked and betrayed for Order 66 to work. I still don't understand how the Sith ended up in control of the government or military. Is there no free press or even a rumormill? Does the galaxy have such a short memory? "Hi, we're the Sith, we going to take over now, don't worry, we're not as bad as that Palpatine fellow." Does no one remember the Clone Wars, the Galactic Civil War, Alderaan, the massive destruction as Palpatine's Empire self-destructed? And if the Sith have anywhere near the numbers of the Jedi Order of TPM, I'm dropping this comic right now, cause the writers didn't do their research. There are over 1 million worldslarge enough and important enough to have been members of the Republic. Even the Jedi never had the numbers to touch most of them except in emergencies when they were needed, since there was only 1 Jedi per 100 member worlds, not counting all the other planets and outposts.

2) Quite true, and this has served them well. They have helped maintain peace, order, and justice without an iron fist for thousands of years in the Old Republic.

21. Maximillian-Veers

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, obviously, somebody thought the Empire was a good idea or no one would have gone along with it, although I agree with you that there cannot be more numerous than Jedi in the Old Republic.

22. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    okay am getting a bit confused here.....

Old Republic (TotJ era)
    Republic (Clone Wars era)
    New Republic (after RotJ era)

or is Old Republic the Clone Wars era republic? what is the TotJ republic then?

23. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    The "Old Republic" is the Republic that has existed from 25,000 BBY - 19 BBY (Ruusan Reformation Notwithstanding)

It is all one republic, but the Pre-Empire republic is called "Old" to differentiate between it and the new.

24. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    The Sith control the inner council that was meeting with Fel. That council controls everyone who controls everyone else.
    Yeah, but it put them at a disadvantage when trying to defend themselves against the people trying to kill them. With enough star destroyers under his - albeit indirect - command, Krayt can squash resistance.

25. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    ah :oops:true. the republic was never defeated by the sith....:oops:thanks for clearing that up [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.