main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #1: Broken, part 1 (of 6) (release discussion)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Yeah Palps didn't kill Plagueis because he always wanted to kill him, nor because he planned, he killed him because he didn't want to be replaced.

Despite the common belief, Sith don't have to kill their master, that is only if:

a)They really really hate him too much

b)They are impatient

c)The master would outlive them

d)They must to survive

It is apparently just as common for the master to just die of natural causes, to leave their apprentices to their own. The whole Apprentice kill master things is really one of those Star Wars stereotypes.

Nevertheless, too many Powerful Sith will fight one another, but in Legacy, they have 1 supremely powerful one, a "Marka Ragnos" to their "Sith Empire", which keeps them all from going postal on one another (or most)

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    ^^ You left out the most important reason:

"If he wants to make a power grab and become master."

3. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    It's implied with impatience :p

But seriousley though, I'd hate to be the apprentice with a Neti master. I guess there was a rule as to which species could be inducted into the Sith, aka no Yoda/Hutt/Neti or whatever species that are too long lived.

4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I think you're, strangely enough, underestimating the Sith will to power.

5. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    not trying to start a political debate but i wonder if our own political system mirrored this new dance, that of a three party system, if the outcome would imitate art. as it is our two force wielders, democrat and republican, try to do each other in every day. yet the populace stops watches it on the news then goes back to the business of its lives.

6. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Actually this is all told by a Sith. But the position implies it wasn't a lie.

See:
    Tyranus was explaining to Quinlan that Sith apprentices kill their masters sometimes, but not always. "He could be lying", you might say, but at this point in the story, Dooku is benefiting more from Quin's hate of the Sith (Quin thinks he's going to kill a Sith). So I would take it as a fact given the context it was given in.

7. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Tyranus was however one of the Least Ambitious Sith Apprentices Ever (at least in that regard), so that might be taken with a grain of salt.

8. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    He wasn't talking about himself, he was actually talking about the sith on a "Historian" POV

9. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    thoughts and ideas evolve (thank god) and dont stay the same for one hundred years.
    also I am wondering whether they were talking about forceusing sith or just sith followers. ;)

would you think differently if it were over 500 or 1000 years later?
    I think the timeframe is a bit weird. 100 years... granted a lot can happen but I would have prefered a "later" timeframe, say 300 or 500 years.
    we have TotJ with 4000 to 1000 years before ANH, why not have it past ANH? ;)

does GL even care about the EU (given that his movies sometimes contradict the EU)?
    LFL is NOT GL. checking with the LFL doesnt mean checking with the god (sarcasm) himself!

btw do we know whether these 10 000 sith are forcesensitives or just the "sith army". if they are all "dark jedi" I just dont buy it. but if they are - as I suspect - just the "sith army" that is totally realistic. actually 10 000 is quite small then. but where 10 000 dark jedi would come from within 100 years.... I dunno....

10. Emperor3171

Emperor3171 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2000
    To be honest, yes setting it much later would be much better. Hundreds of years at the very least. And yes, we're back to numbers problems. 10,000 Force-using Sith is absurd and nonsense, certainly happening so quickly. That means the Skywalker legacy is one of failure. The New Jedi Order Luke founded couldn't even keep the peace for a century. And if 10,000 is the total Sith force; lackies, grunts, and a handful of Force-users, it's far too tiny to take over the Empire. Unless the Empire is just that corrupt and the military that ready to follow whoever's butt is currently on the throne.

And yes, I know Lucas couldn't care less about the EU, but that doesn't mean we should ignore the basics of the saga. If we're doing that, why call it Star Wars at all.

11. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Emperor 3172 posted: "And yes, I know Lucas couldn't care less about the EU, but that doesn't mean we should ignore the basics of the saga. If we're doing that, why call it Star Wars at all."

You're wrong here--LF cares about the EU and we all work together with LF to insure that the EU meshes with the basics of the saga. We are not ignoring the basics--we are exploring themes within them.

Fact is--no one reading Legacy even knows what Krayt's Sith are all about yet, so why the pronouncements of how this cannot be? That this Sith order grew in numbers very rapidly is a point of curiousity. That these Sith do not follow Bane's rule of two--another oddity. D'ya think that maybe, just maybe this has all been thought out and that the reasons will be explored within the story being told?

12. Daniel-K

Daniel-K Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2004
    Honestly, Ms Duursama, the fact that it has been thought out buys you very now a days. You guys may not have slipped yet, but LFL has dropped the ball on things that they "thought out" so much in the past years that a lot of us lack any faith in it.

Hey, lets refuse to release the Original Trilogy on DVD, then lets refuse to release the original versions, then when we do let's release a crappy VHS rip!
    Hey, Sony Online Entertainment comes from a big company, their game won't suck!
    Hey, let's create this race called the Yuuzhan Vong and have them trash everything and use biotech!
    Hey, let's have a galactic scale war fought by the population of Chicago agaisnt a force a billion times bigger then it!

You guys may have it covered, and maybe it will end up being 100% undiluted awesome, but right now the whole "trust us, LFL planned ahead" thing really just inspires more unease.

13. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    "I find your lack of faith... disturbing."

14. Daniel-K

Daniel-K Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2004
    Faith is belief without evidence. And unfortunately, we have plenty of evidence against LFL.

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Hmmm... I'd assumed it was something simple such as combination of baby snatching and public recruiting, e.g. going to some backwater planet and asking anyone who wants to learn to be a Jedi but never got discovered or accepted by the Jedi Order to come forward. With a whole galaxy to recruit from I figure it wouldn't take long, the dark side is the "quick and easy" path after all. ;)

But... you make it sound like there's more to it than that. Hmmm.... now I'm curious if we're talking more about either clones or Valley of the Jedi style Reborn or something... it almost makes me wonder if Krayt is like the anti-Nihilus and able to infuse people with the Force.

Curious. [face_thinking]

16. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    I think what Jan is suggesting (not that I am speaking for her) is that she and I thought it out and all of it had to be run past LFL for approval. You might look and Jan's and my track record and see if it warrants the possibility we may have thought this thing out.

Will we change as we go? Certainly. Everything I've ever written has evolved from proposal to plot oiverview to first draft to final draft. It doesn't mitigate the fact that we spent a lot of time developing the concept in the first place, working from what we knew about the galaxy and then projecting it to the time era we have.

Just a point of clarification.

-- John

17. Emperor3171

Jan 19, 2000
    Again, if it was that simple, every Sith Lord would have been doing it. And that still doesn't resolve the question of how the Jedi simply didn't discover them. The Rule of Two was created to avoid the Sith offing each other in job lots. A nice side benefit was that 2 force-sensitives are much easier to hide then 10,000. Either Luke's New Jedi Order are incompetents, given their problems with Dark Jedi of the Week this cannot be dismissed as easily as I would like, or these "Sith" made some uber-jump in their knowledge of the Force, far surpassing Darth Sidious, the culmination of Bane's Sith Order, able to both exist safely in great numbers and gather them mind-boggling quickly.

So it comes down to who's the noob, Darth Sidious for actually believing the Rule of Two was needed (unless someone would like to argue Karyt > Sidious) or Luke's New Jedi Order for letting these "Sith" explode in such unprecedented numbers.

18. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    have you people ever been around evil people? they are the ones who understand the rules better than anyone. they are the ones who can work the system. crap, go watch the news. just look at the two columbine killers. those journals went back years yet did anyone see what was going on? we have a hard time believing that people can really be that cruel. scott peterson?

but, there are times in everyone's life that to be rid of society's rules and mores esp if the consequences were removed are enticing. how many times have you wanted to just go postal but didnt because... if you go sith just once and got away with it, why wouldnt you do it again? i think the question is why only 10,000?

19. Emperor3171

Jan 19, 2000
    Why only 10,000? Besides the rarity of Force-Sensitives in general, there is one big reason. Because Lucas said whenever you get a number of Sith together, they all want to be in charge and have nothing against leaving a trail of corpses behind them to do so. That is the essential fact that made the Rule of Two necessary for the Sith Order to survive and function. A change this huge means that Darth Karyt's Sith Order effectively cannot be a Sith Order as it is understood. He may call it the Sith Order, but just because you call something by a name does not make it that.

20. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    May I remind you Lucas also thought once that Jar Jar was a good idea?

He = LFL; and they can change their mind about official stuff it it hasn't been used yet.

Nonetheless, we really don't know anything about these new sith, so far we've only seen Krayt, Maladi, Nihl, Wyyrlok and randoms. And from what we've seen these Sith aren't exactly like the other ones, they live for Darth Krayt, Darth Krayt IS teh Sith. There is a great difference between these ones and the past.

People shouldn't start judging on solely having seen 4 Sith, especially with 3 of them clearly "below" 1. These Sith are different, Krayt is different. Hell, the fact that he and Wyyrlok have a real friendship should make people think twice before shooting out on this sort of thing.

21. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Emperor3171
    And yes, we're back to numbers problems. 10,000 Force-using Sith is absurd and nonsense, certainly happening so quickly. That means the Skywalker legacy is one of failure. The New Jedi Order Luke founded couldn't even keep the peace for a century.

Yes, this is my problem with Legacy and with all of these Sith too. It really DOES seem to mean that Luke left no Legacy or, as you say, he left a Legacy of failure. How could Luke and Company NOT know that all of these Sith were in the galaxy???? It DOES make them seem very incompetent and complete failures. Since there aren't supposed to be all that many Force sensitives in the general population anyway, how could the Sith Leaders have found so many to be Sith Lords? When Luke first looked for Jedi candidates when he was starting the Academy, it was not easy for him to find Force sensitives. Where did they all come from all of a sudden?

If two Sith Lords, Palpatine and Darth Vader, caused so much death and destruction in that GFFA, it's mind-boggling to think of what 10,000 Sith Lords will do to it. Even if there are almost an equal number of Jedi, how can they possibly defeat so many Sith Lords without wiping themselves out in the process, and besides causing irreversible destruction in the galaxy and unimaginable numbers of deaths of citizens of the galaxy? It seems like it would be a war of titans with nothing left for anyone when it's over. :(

22. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Well, "Betrayal" points out to a distraction big enough [face_mischief]

23. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    As another poster on darkhorse brought up, why should Luke be the ONLY person with a legacy? Why can't the greatest Sith of all time, Darth Sidious, have a legacy too? [face_mischief]

The Jedi are going to win in the end, this is Star Wars, that's a GIVEN. The only question is time.

24. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Sauron_18
    Well, "Betrayal" points out to a distraction big enough

Not big enough to distract from the presence of 10,000 Sith Lords. Goodness! If this is the case, it almost seems like the galaxy was actually in GOOD shape when it had only two!

masterskywalker

As another poster on darkhorse brought up, why should Luke be the ONLY person with a legacy? Why can't the greatest Sith of all time, Darth Sidious, have a legacy too?

Because Sith Lords don't deserve to have a legacy. We WANT heroes to leave legacies. We DON'T want villains to leave them. At least, I know that's true for me!

25. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Legacies aren't based on MORAL merit, they're based on IMPACT. Anakin and Luke Skywalker, plus Darth Sidious ALL had a massive impact on the galaxy at large. Their legacies will shape the future for centuries to come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.