main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #1: Broken, part 1 (of 6) (release discussion)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001

masterskywalker

Legacies aren't based on MORAL merit, they're based on IMPACT. Anakin and Luke Skywalker, plus Darth Sidious ALL had a massive impact on the galaxy at large. Their legacies will shape the future for centuries to come.

Well then, the effect of 10,000 Sith Lords loose in the galaxy will be felt for a millennium, if not forever.

2. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005

Well it's a different kind of Sith really, we don't know enough to know how they weren't "discovered". My guess is that Korriban, being already full of the dark side, provided cover enough.

3. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001

Sauron_18

My guess is that Korriban, being already full of the dark side, provided cover enough.

Then the Jedi were foolish not to keep an eye on Korriban.

4. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Just a note on "population of Force Users": We don't really know -how- rare they are. We -do- know there are planets out there that have significant populations of Force-Sensitives (Haruun Kal and Dathomir spring to mind). We also know that there are some -races- that are nigh-universally Force-Sensitive (Miraluka). We know the -Jedi- only had 10,000 -knights- at the time of the Clone Wars. That number does -not- include Padawans, Younglings, Explorer Corps, Agri Corps, or Diplomatic Corps, all of whom were Force-Sensitive but not yet full-fledged "Jedi". Their -full- organization likely ran into the hundreds of thousands, with the full-fledged Jedi as an "elite" among them.

In short, the galaxy being a big place, there are probably millions if not billions of beings out there with some degree of Force potential, it's just that for the majority of them, it's so minor as to be beneath most notice, never discovered, locked into a particular (planetary) tradition, or never trained for one reason or another ("Too old to begin the training").

We also know there's been two or three generations since Skywalker's new Jedi Order. Each generation, the population of Force-Users could potentially get larger and larger, increasing exponentially. And that's just taking into account the children (and grandchildren, etc...) of Jedi, not even counting previously-undiscovered Force Users.

In other words, there's probably plenty of population out there for potential "recruitment", it's just for one reason or another it wasn't exploited in the past. Krayt's "Sith" could very well be a bunch of people that would have been AgriCorps or Explorer Corps (or whatever) material in the past, but have them build a lightsaber, immerse them in the Dark Side, give them intensive combat training, and let them call themselves "Sith" and suddenly you have an army.

Krayt may only have a few hundred or even only a few dozen that are on the level of true "Jedi", but he understands that vastly superior numbers -are- one good way to whittle down the ranks of the Jedi, particularly if those numbers -are- well-trained, even if not supremely powerful.

5. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005

Well.....yeah, they just might be...

6. Jmacq1

May 20, 2005
    It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation: Send someone to watch a location completely suffused with the Dark Side and risk them getting corrupted, or don't send anyone to watch it and potentially something nasty crops up there, anyway.

That and y'know, with all the wars and galactic crises going on, keeping constant watch on a backwater that's supposedly a deserted tomb world probably didn't rate high on either the Jedi or the Republic/Alliance's priority list, particularly if say, Palpatine might have done much to erase knowledge of it during his reign.

And besides, there aren't exactly an unlimited number of Jedi to go around, and no more "Watchman" system. Just having a Jedi "drop by" every so often to look around isn't necessarily going to find 10,000 people on an entire planet, particularly if they're making a concerted effort to hide. Not to mention there's several other "Dark Side Nexuses" that are floating around out there (both already-portrayed and yet to be described, I'm sure). Are they supposed to watch them all with their limited resources?

*Jedi X lands on Korriban, looks around*

"Hmmm, I sense the power of the Dark Side suffusing this place. No different from last time. Time to go!"

Or are you suggesting they have the whole Jedi Order randomly scour the planet every couple months? Bearing in mind even satellite surveillance systems and the like can easily be fooled. They'd have no time to do anything -but- "police Dark Side hotspots" if you think that's what they should be doing.

7. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Plus, they might've applied the Post-Bane-Sith trick of minimizing your presence. All of them doing it might make sensing them as people, rather than just the dark side planet you know and love (or hate), difficult

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, there's more than one way to crack an egg. Look at history, some dictators have risen by winning the support of their own nation, others have done it through force with a private army, people aren't always the same. In a way though, the fact Krayt's Order is making the same mistakes as those before Bane's is perhaps a good thing, as it reflects that the "greatest" Sith Order died with Palpatine and Vader, and that without the Rule of Two the Sith will never be as great a threat again, which works for people who like the prophecy idea.

Still, Palpatine wasn't as true to the Rule of Two as he might have made out, just because he never allowed the Prophets, the Inquisitors or the Hands to call themselves Sith doesn't mean they weren't pretty much identical to what the masses of Krayt's Order probably are, i.e. Dark Jedi Apprentices.
    It's not the Order of the Sith Lords as founded by Darth Bane, but then, neither was the Order of the Sith Lords the same as Kaan's Brotherhood of Darkness, which was not the same as Darth Ruin's New Sith Empire, which was not the same as Exar Kun's Brotherhood of the Sith, which was not the same as Marka Ragnos's Sith Empire, etc. At the end of the day, the Sith Order is what the Dark Lord of the day wants to make it, it's his order after all, as he makes the rules.

The Rule of Two was actually relatively short lived, very successful, but short lived in the overall lifespan of the Sith Order in its various incarnations. Krayt's is just the next incarnation, and more based on Kaan's Rule of the Strong than Bane's Rule of Two.

If you compare the Sith to a religion, then think about how many different forms of Christianity there are in the world, they all still call themselves Christians even if their rules differ.
    Who says they're all Sith Lords? ;)

It's possible they are, and that we have another Brotherhood of Darkness a la Lord Kaan, however it's equally possible they're as Force-using as Saul Karath, who was also a "Sith".

If every one of them was a potential Darth Vader waiting to go crazy, then things are a bit off, but I imagine the chances of that are unlikely, it's more likely most of them are just novices, if Force-sensitive at all. As we've seen from the Revan and Malak period the term "Sith" can be used rather loosely depending on what the Dark Lord of the day wants it to cover.

9. Maximillian-Veers

Maximillian-Veers Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Hey, wait a second....Wouldn't being on a planet that exudes Dark Side Energies make it very hard to distinguish whether or not it was coming from the individuals or the planet itself? The new Sith could have hidden in plain sight, claiming to be just ordinary colonists. With the permeating Dark Side energies all over the planet, it would be very difficult to tell if they themselves were dark siders.

10. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Yeah that's what we were going for [face_mischief]

You won't notice a candle when it's next to a sun.

But it has some flaws, considering Luke's "Man Who Doesn't Exist....just yet" thing

11. Maximillian-Veers

Maximillian-Veers Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Isn't Korriban on the side of the Galaxy with the Imperial Remnant? Considering that it appears that the Empire should start to see a resurgence very soon if they are to become the dominant power that they are in Legacies, then Korriban being within Imperial Space might deny the Jedi access to it.

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    A candle next to a sun would be very hard. A shadow inside a bigger shadow would be pretty much impossible :p

I just figure the simplest explanation is they learned how to hide the way Palpatine did. If Palps could stand in front of Yoda and Yoda not even get the faintest sense of anything bad then it can't be that hard to mask your presence, especially as he'd have been the equivalent of hiding a Palps-class supernova from a Yoda-class telescope.

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Does the fact that Krayt's 'blue' eye is actually a cybernetic one make anybody second - guess who he might actually be?

14. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    The Eye is grey, and it's not cybernetic as far as we know, but probably artificial (not the same thing) [face_mischief]

15. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Look at it. It's not just grey. It's quite clearly artificial. it doesn't even look like an eye.

16. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    I know, I said it's not cybernetic, I didn't say it's not artificial :D

In other words, I think it's one of our friendly Vong Biots :p

17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Could be. It looks kind of metallic to me, though. Kind of looks like a Republic symbol etched in silver...

18. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Republic? Or Empire?

19. Daniel-K

Daniel-K Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2004
    I would presume that, since the Force comes from life, a living being would show up more clearly then the rocks around them. In other words, the Sith would outshine the planet.

20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Don't think that's how it works, though.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I finally managed to get a copy of this and #0, since my local store had been selling out for weeks. I was looking forward to it, but I felt let down. I'm willing to stick with it for a few issues, mainly because a series can easily pick up momentum after such a beginning and I think I want to like it.

However...

It struck me that most of the concepts in this were geared towards putting as many fan favourites in as possible. The neo-fascists who insist the Empire was a force for Good and whatnot get a new Empire, devoid of any "evil" adjectives. The potentium heretics get Grey Jedi. There's lots of Sith, including one with Maul-art. Cade follows the Skywalker flame, because people will die if they read a book without the big three after ROTJ (sigh); he's part Luke, Part Kyle Katarn, with a dash of Han Solo and a Mandalorian like tatoo/symbol. Devotees of Admiral Pellaeon, who's never the same man Zahn wrote about, get new Star Destroyers, and of course the Jedi are on the run again like in ROTS.

I think I'd like it more if the hero wasn't a Skywalker, but I generally don't like how we have people like Han Solo pushing, what, 70 in LOTF1 running around like it's ESB all over. New characters should be just that, and devoid of any relationship to the Big Three of either film trilogy. Look at Quin - a huge fan favourite, and not a relative or friend of any Skywalker.

I think this series has a nugget of potential buried in gooey layers of fan-pleasing cliches, and so I'm hoping I'll see that soon. J and J, you two do have a strong record and I only hope you carry that history through into Legacy...

E_S

22. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    agreed, sadly :mad::_|

23. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    I think it's nostalgia speaking for most people complaining about the New Sith.

24. Jmacq1

May 20, 2005
    It's also nostalgia for the people whining about the "unaltered" OT releases. It's a laser disc transfer, that'll -still- look better than any VHS we got. And it wasn't going to come out at -all-. Now Lucas changed his mind and threw the fans a bone, but they want to complain because Lucas doesn't feel like spending money to spruce up movies that he doesn't consider valid anymore/that he felt were "incomplete" to begin with.

"Waaah! Lucasfilm sux! They won't cater to my every whim and release the original editions in Superdeluxe 8.1 Surround Sound Anamorphic Ultimate Foil-
    Wrapped Holographic Archival Editions with a Cherry On Top(tm)!"

Guess what? Love it or hate it, he spent several million dollars to "shore up" the original trilogy already. He called it them the "Special Editions".

Anyway, gotta agree with Sauron_18 here. If you think the movies (and particularly the OT) are the be-all and end-all....then what're you doing bothering to read any EU stuff anyhow? If you hate the concepts, the story, the style, and nit-pick every possible little detail, don't waste your money on it. Buy something else that you -will- enjoy, and let the people that -are- enjoying the new stuff have their fun.

Live and let-live I say.

25. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    you can love the old movies and the EU. that doesnt exclude each other in my book. only because I am a moviefan and want the movies the way they were shown in theatres, untinkered and changed doesnt mean I dont like the SE or the DVD releases. I own them all!
    but for GL to release the statement that he will never ever release the OT as it was seen in theatres and thereby duping a lot of people to get the SE DVDs only to release the OT on DVD sometime later is some of the ****tiest behaviour I can think of.
    but still we were glad and happy and bouncy that he finally does release them only to see the ****** transfer that he uses for it. YOU WANT IT? I'LL GIVE IT TO YOU IN THE CRAPPIEST WAY POSSIBLE. SO GET OFF MY BACK!
    thanks Mr. Lucas. we see through you. you want you POV validated. the original theatrical release DVDs wont do as good as the SE, cos hardly anyone with a brain inside their skull will pay for a non-anamorphic transfer. lets not even talk about only stereo sound......

but this matter was discussed at length somewhere else....
    lets just shut it and concentrate on the EU (that people, that love the original trilogy can also love as weird as that may sound to some of you!) ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.