main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #1: Broken, part 1 (of 6) (release discussion)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I saw them on TV, and I wasn't impressed with the awkward ship movement. While it was somewhat nostalgic to see again, I thought the point of redoing them was to improve those sorts of things.

2. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that being ticked off about the unaltered OT release and not liking the EU were linked, though I can see how it might have looked that way. :)

It was two separate and only tangentially linked rants. ;)

3. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    if they had only redone the sound and the special FX noone would have minded, I'm sure ;)

4. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Yeah, that was exactly my POV. Change is good, especially when it makes the film remotley more modern than it was.

I'd understand if they actually changed the story, but a few fx retcons are great. Though Han shooting first would be awesome, it's still ignorable.

Anyways, back on topic...

5. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    gotcha ;)

when does the next one come out. I really want to see what they've done with it????

impatience.... is ... bad...I know... but I cant help it:_|

6. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    You mean Broker pt 2? July 20-something no?

I can't wait! And yet, I must, for that is the way of things:cool:

7. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    DH has posted July 12 -- this Wednesday. Which is probably why the preview went up last week.

-- John

8. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Hmm, that is seriousley awesome/fantastic news!

9. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    this wednesday? :eek:
    yayyyyy[face_dancing]

10. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Luke defined the what it meant to be Jedi when he re-created it. Families were not permitted in the old Jedi order but are allowed in the New Jedi order. Luke himself has a wife and child. You an argue whether it's a good thing or not but. . .he did it. Would you say they weren't Jedi? They violate what GL set up. Krayt has also re-defined what it means to be a Sith and has imposed it on his order. ARE there cracks and fissues in his Order? He is clearly concerned about what happens after his death. Might he be concerned that the Rule of One won't survive his passing?

The Sith Order has been re-defined in the past and was still called the Sith Order. Why shouldn't this one be?

-- John

11. TheEmperorsProtege

May 22, 2004
    agreed :D
    why cant I ever say it like that.:(

12. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Daniel K
    "I would presume that, since the Force comes from life, a living being would show up more clearly then the rocks around them. In other words, the Sith would outshine the planet. "

Disagree. While 10,000 seems a large number, we're talking about a PLANET. On our world, 10,000 would maybe be a small city.

As for Jedi keeping a watch on Korriban -- it was more likely that a new Sith would've come from the Jedi Order itself. Kyle Katarn was a prime example. Luke's Order doesn't have that many members right through NJO and they lost some. Sending a Jedi there to monitor it would be a waste of time when there had to have been (and often WERE) what seemed like matters of life and death that need Jedi attention. A Jedi GOING to Korriban would have been cause for alarm (unless he was sent by Luke).

Besides, you don't KNOW that a Jedi never checked in on Korriban or what might have happened in that case. Do you?

Not yet.

-- John

13. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    I understand your point but, in our discussions everyone -- Jan, myself, DH, LFL -- agreed pretty early on that we needed a Skywalker because we needed to appeal to as many SW fans as possible. The whole concept was risky enough as it was -- new setting, redefinitions of concepts, and so on. And since the theme, as well as the name, of the book is LEGACY, having a Skywalker having to cope with all that legacy entails made it a pretty natural choice. You'll get your first real taste of the adult Cade with issue 2 -- we'll see if you like him better then -- or less!<g>

Quin was able to function because he already had a context -- the Prequel Era which was pretty well defined. As you may recall, we even worked in both Obi-Wan and Anakin from time to time, going so far as to make Quin and Obi-Wans friends when they were padawans. This time, we're working without that net. So a Skywalker seems like a logical idea.

Keep in mind -- it's not jthe story elements that really count; it's the stories themselves. You've had the general concepts in 0 and been given the setting (more or less) in 1. Now we really get down to the story.

-- John

14. Maximillian-Veers

Maximillian-Veers Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm sure I agree with a large number of fans that the redo was a good idea, except that when he went back to spruce up some things he actually changed a few very intrinsic things about the films which had become important to the way the fans saw the universe and the way the EU was written. It is those things which nag at people and fuel a cry for the release of the unaltered films on DVD.

On the whole, I love the Special Editions, I really do, I just find the whole concept of a being whose trade is the capture and killing of other sentient beings that can miss shooting an immobile target seated at a table not even a meter away completely unbelievable.

15. lordmorpheus

lordmorpheus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Mr. Ostrander,

Are there any stories within the SW Universe, regardless of timeline, that you'd like to tell that you havent been given a chance to? ANy characters that you'd like to write that havent been Greenlighted?

16. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Regarding them hiding, it does say in Legacy 0, after all, that already dark Korriban did function in a way that the Jedi wouldn't distinguish between the planet and the Sith, and it does make sense...

(I didn't remember it being in Leg#0, I just suggested it because it seemed the most probable answer [face_blush] )

17. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Well, IIRC, Greedo wasn't -really- a "bounty hunter". More like a "Two-Bit Thug/Bounty Hunter Wannabe". He was trying to make a quick "big score" with Solo, but was generally pretty incompetent to begin with.

At least, that's if I'm remembering my Greedo backstory correctly.

18. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    There's a precedent for it, as well. Isn't one of the explanations for Yoda's choosing Dagobah because the dark side presence on the planet masked his own light side presence?

19. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Actually, I'm DOING what I most want to do in SW.<g>

-- John

20. JediWampa

JediWampa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2000

"Get a job doing what you love and you'll never work a day in your life..." A piece of advice I was given a long time ago that's just as valid today.*

I'm woefully unqualified to comment on the story so far, since I've only been able to get #0 so far, but the overall concept has had me hooked since I first saw it back in February. The background provided in #0 (the politics, the equipment, and the characters) just whetted my appetite even more. I'm grateful for a side of the GFFA that hasn't been touched. Jumping in should (I think) seem like starting over with a whole new story...

* - this is not to indicate Mr. Ostrander, or anyone, don't work hard. Hopefully the meaning of the saying is evident...

21. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Too true.
    Didn't stop other people.
    [/quote]

22. lordmorpheus

lordmorpheus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 16, 2004

Is there any "backroom" planning or has it come across anyone's desk to perhaps to tell the story of the first order of the jedi or even the story of the first rift that led to the beginning of the sith in the GFFA?

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I figured as much John, and thanks for the reply.

However, I think that people like Quinlan Vos, or the Rogue pilots, or Corran Horn (in I, Jedi), and the characters of the KOTOR era prove, beyond any doubt, that Star Wars fans will appreciate a hero no matter if they're Skywalker or not.

As I said, I'm willing to give you guys a chance with this, and really, #0 and #1 probably hamstrung you in terms of establishing the context with respect to the NJO - unlike, say, KOTOR which is just "It's old, and different!" ( ;) ), or Quin's stuff, which is, "It's the prequels, we know as much as you so let's have fun!" - and trying to cram a history lesson and set up the backstory for this new arc wasn't easy.

I guess your answer clarified something I was already suspecting (i.e LFL telling you to keep it as familiar as possible); which makes it a pity that they couldn't trust both your judgment and your record in this field.

Here's to hoping. ;)

But I think if you were to hang an arc on a totally new, unconnected character, you'd find a hugely receptive audience.

E_S

24. jfostrander

Jul 16, 2001
    Just to clarify -- LFL DIDN'T push a Skywalker on us. That was OUR choice. We'll have some issues that don't have Cade in 'em; some stories not centered on him. It's a big galaxy, after all. A lot of the supporting characters are clammoring for attention and we plan on giving them some.

Having a Skywalker made sense to Jan and myself. We'll see what everyone else thinks after they get their first look at the adult Cade in issue 2. Could be interestin'.<g>

-- John

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ah right. Sorry, I getcha.

I'll look with interest for subsequent issues... :D

E_S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.