main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #1: Broken, part 1 (of 6) (release discussion)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Having a Skywalker makes sense: it's only 100 years late. Having a Skywalker as a major plot point, considering the surrounding plot, makes plenty of sense as well: the Skywalkers have tremendous symbolic value, both IU and OU.

2. TheEmperorsProtege

TheEmperorsProtege Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2004
    just for once I would like a skywalker that walks away from his "legacy" (or rather his familys legacy) and not turn jedi or sith, but just do whatever he likes to and vanish into the gigantic galaxy doing whatever "normal" people do :D

3. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001

Sauron_18
    Regarding them hiding, it does say in Legacy 0, after all, that already dark Korriban did function in a way that the Jedi wouldn't distinguish between the planet and the Sith, and it does make sense...

My copy of issue 0 has still not arrived, so I didn't read about Korriban's darkness hiding dark siders. Still, wouldn't at least ONE Jedi knight have a vision or a feeling or something about all these new Sith Lords? In Betrayal, Luke has visions of Sith Lord Jacen before he even becomes a Sith. With thousands of Sith establishing themselves in the galaxy, it just seems hard to believe that not even one Jedi would sense something or have a future vision of impending darkness or some unsettling feelings or something.

jfostrander
    I understand your point but, in our discussions everyone -- Jan, myself, DH, LFL -- agreed pretty early on that we needed a Skywalker because we needed to appeal to as many SW fans as possible.

The fact that there will be another Skywalker who will be a major character in Legacy is one thing I really LIKE about the new comic series. While I'm disappointed that it's not set much farther forward in the timeline, I'm very pleased that there will be a Skywalker to "anchor" us to the new era. It was the story of the Skywalker family set against the backdrop of the Clone wars and Galactic Civil War that got all of us into SW in the first place. Skywalkers (and Solos) have continued as main characters in the post RotJ fiction. I think it's fitting that we continue to follow a Skywalker into a new age.

BobaMatt

Having a Skywalker makes sense: it's only 100 years late. Having a Skywalker as a major plot point, considering the surrounding plot, makes plenty of sense as well: the Skywalkers have tremendous symbolic value, both IU and OU.

I agree.

4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    That's what Cade does.

At least kinda.

5. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Yeah it says:

"For over a hundred years, Krayt's Sith have hidden on the planet Korriban, using the miasma of dark side that permeates the planet to conceal themeselves."

I dunno about Jedi sensing them, after all, Luke could've sensed Jacen solely because he was so close to him. And "Dark Jacen" was using flow walking to talk to people in the past, which is something much bigger than just hanging around old Sith :p

Still, it's a good enough explanation for me. :D

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    And for all we know they might have had visions but just didn't know what to do about them. People were having visions of Revan and Malak decades before the Jedi Civil War but it didn't help stop it from happening. Even Luke's visions of Jacen aren't exactly that detailed. "There's an evil darksider somewhere"... helpful.

It's likely the Jedi sensed the dark side was growing but that wouldn't necessarily be the same as a giant arrow pointing at Korriban. Plus, since they're so used to there only ever being two Sith it probably never occured to them that what they were feeling was due to a growing Sith Order. After Anakin and Jacen they probably expected the threat to come from the inside, i.e. another Jedi falling to the dark side.

7. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    True, sort of like Yoda and the rest of the Jedi order before ROTS...

2 is different from 10,000 some might say, but the one the Jedi sensed was the leader of the republic, with whome they spent countless hours with without even detecting the slightest ounce of force sensitivity. It stands to reason that, the Sith being far away and mostly concealed, the Jedi would at best get the same feeling.

8. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Yeah, those "Force visions" are rarely so specific as to say "OMG THE SITH ARE ON KORRIBAN GO STOP THEM NOW!"

Even Luke doesn't know the identity of who he's getting "visions" about. It's a vague, symbolic warning. It's not "Look out, Jacen is going to the Dark Side!"

Besides, one other very key point: In the lifetimes of any of the Jedi from Prequel-era until "Legacy", Korriban -hasn't- been a source of trouble (that we know of). A Dark Side Nexus, sure, but there haven't been any major threats that have originated from it (that we know of) for more than 3,000 years. As noted above, the Jedi probably figured the Sith were more likely to spring from within the order or from a "rogue" element of the Jedi than to build up slowly on a dead and nigh-forgotten world. Plus with the loss of so much lore and history during the Clone Wars/Jedi Purge, it's entirely possible the Jedi barely even knew they -should- be looking.

9. jfostrander

jfostrander Writer: -Legacy -Republic/Jedi/Purge star 4 VIP

Jul 16, 2001
    i don't know EVERYTHING that's going on or may or may not be planned for the Sw Universe. Just what concerns my section of it.

-- John

10. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    luke is so emessed in the light side of the force all jacen would have to do is fake his death before his full committment to the sith. he would be cut off from luke. why does luke have that connection to the man that doesnt exist? b/c of jacen's connection to him and the light side. jacen goes to korriban and they all think he is dead. leia wont feel him, she is a knight now, jaina is too busy with her own connection. notice how jaina and jacen never refer to the twin bond. why after all these years does leia now become a knight? to get her out of the way. ben's trying to tell them but they arent listening. we want things to remain the same and will continue to think of them as such until we are hit smack in the face with it. i dont know why but i dont think jacen could go sith commando if there was a chance to see any disappointment in the eyes of his loved ones.

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    [face_talk_hand] Not good enough John! [face_shame_on_you] I expect by the time you come back you'll be a walking, talking, comic-ing encyclopedia of Star Wars Universe developments! [face_not_talking]

;) :D

E_S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.