main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #14: Claws of the Dragon, part 1 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jango_Fettish, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Nah, Ganner seems too calm and centered to go traitor, and while Draco is brash, I think he's loyal unto death.

However Legacy #0 strongly implied that Sigel Dare (who's yet to receive any real spotlight time) might well be suffering a "crisis of faith" before long...if she's not already.

2. Jedi_Master_Luc

Jedi_Master_Luc Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2006
    My money's on Sia. Roan's too pridefull and a lot of the problems i think they've faced has been on account of that. He's been ducking and dodging too long. He forgot how to rule in the open i think. Were Krayt to (not that he ever would) offer Roan a truce today, Roan would turn it down over wounded pride. Sia would take it though. She knows the Sith are evil and must be stopped, but she seems like she might be a little more open to the suggestion until she could rid themselves of the Sith once and for all. Remember, she's been spending the last seven year infiltrating Imperial Missions seeking out allies and gathering strength to her father. I'm sure most of the people she's ushered to Bastion would listen to her as Empress as much as they listen to their Emperor. And he wouldn't see it coming! In that respect Maladi's plan for complacentcy would work and not. Fel would die, but would be replaced by a ruler that people can really rally around. (then MAYBE Krayt might ACTUALLY have to do some punishment skewering!) Also i don't see Sia jumping through Maladi's hoops anymore than Roan would. Roan may be rally-around-able, but from a distance. Sia is more thoughtful and less prideful. She's more willing to risk for greater things than to risk for personal gratification. Which in turn makes her equally rally-around-able and from not so great a distance. She seems as well to be the type to lead though her followers rather than Roan's apparent lead his followers approach. She would work with, he makes them work for. Just different styles really, but as it's been seven years and they're STILL not back on Coruscant, i could see some Imps embracing a new outlook on the war.

Don't get me wrong i still like Roan, but it wouldn't be too far a stretch to see Sia be the one to end the war. As has been stated he didn't want to have war. He didn't want the Sith as allies. And he's only fought in retalliation. Sia might have the cohones to finish what Roan seems unable or unwilling to do.

All just theories and "could be" conjecture though...

Master Luc

3. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Uh...unless there's a WHOLE lot more to Sia than we've seen so far, she really, really, really, really, REALLY does not seem like the type of person who would kill her own father short of drastic personality alteration.

4. Jedi_Master_Luc

Jul 28, 2006
    She doesn't seem like the type of person YET. There's still a lot to happen before we're done for the year. Roan made a lot of people mad with the Dauntless, and it could be just the beginning. She may not have much choice. I stand by his decision to do what he did (PLEASE DON'T SEE THAT COMMENT AS ME OPENING UP THAT CAN OF WORMS AGAIN!) but others in the EU might not understand it. And who knows what's on the horizon for Fel? Like i said he IS prideful. And in their current situation, his men are looking for a close to the war, but he might have more on his mind. Maladi was chastised for scheming for scheming's sake. He might be waiting for waiting's sake. Eventually he will HAVE to act and i think it will be at that moment where he'll either step up to the plate or he'll shrink away from his responsabilities. Should he shrink, Sia will have no choice but to get him out of the way so she can lead her Empire to defeat the Sith.

Do i think it's likely? No. But is it possible? Always! I'm still hoping i didn't misplace my respect of Roan, but i can see him on a slippery slope.

Master Luc

5. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    I fear that Antares might be the traitor, especially if Fel chews out some more chunks of him like he did back in #9. He's certainly the most strongly-characterized Imperial serving Roan...

I wouldn't like it, but I could see it happening. [face_plain]

Although, there's also the Imperial Mission to consider - can we really trust Astraal Vao...? [face_thinking] [face_mischief]

On the other hand, it would be ironic if Krayt was the one who faced an internal traitor... we know that Veed/Callixte are still scheming against him, but they're not the only possible threat - betrayal, after all, is the way of the Sith.

[face_whistling]

- The Imperial Ewok

6. TIEDefenderPilot

TIEDefenderPilot Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2003
    I say Ganner because there is nothing to suspect.

He isn't clearly traitorous, nor is he a super Fel Zealot.
    He's just sort of there.

No one suspects the butterfly.

7. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Or if he gets jilted by the Princess.

If they are setting up a probably incestiriffic Cade-Cia-Draco triangle, and Cade wins out, it would be a perfect setup for a heel turn by Draco and a really dramatic Cade/Draco duel.

8. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Ganner being a traitor would explain why he did not stop his friend and superior Antares from going to save Marasiah, which revealed to the Sith that Fel had taken Bastion. Of course, he killed several Sith himself on Vendaxa... But the best agents do what they must not to reveal themselves.

In the style of Legacy the traitor will most likely be Sigel Dare. Legacy seems to have a habit of bringing forth these one or two issue minor characters, who have not been introduced before in the story itself and who are only mostly rather crude plot devides. And Dare fits this profile. Ganner being a traitor would be better, because we have seen him, he would not just be an off-the-shelf cardboard betrayer, but a character we are already used to in a different role, so it would be a shock to see him, this loyal, rather silent side-kick, run Roan Fel through with his lightsaber.

9. Corporate_Jedi

Corporate_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    I highly doubt that it is Ganner. His reactions during the 'rescue' of the Princess pretty much spell out his feelings on the matter. His speech to the Sith in one of my favorite lines as well. I wouldn't call him silent at all.

I'd also ask what you mean by crude plot devices? In a comic format space is at a premium, and we have already seen the set-up for Sigel. A sudden turn by a loyal Knight with no warning would be crude storytelling, without setup is has no resonance.

10. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I think if anyone in the galaxy can understand Roan's actions against the Dauntless, it's Sia. She understands he needs to be ruthless, and stood by the decision she knew he had to make not to come saver her. In fact, when she thought Draco and Ganner were her father, she seemed to get pissed that he was stupid ehough to come for her. She knows how ruthless her father has to be (and as of now, he seems to know what he is doing, so I wouldn't be afraid of him backing down when he is needed to step up and finally take out the Sith, he seems like he'll do it when the time comes), and she herself seems pretty ruthelss, and in fact Ready to Die for her father's cause.

As for a traitor within the Fel ranks, I throw my support in for the Sigel Dare group. She has been noted in #0, so she must be important for some reason, but she has been nothing but a background character so far.

11. Jedi_Master_Luc

Jul 28, 2006
    Legacy #7
    Darth Krayt: "Rus, through his acolyte, has learned Fel is on Bastion."

It wasn't Ganner who sold out Fel it was either someone unnamed or it was Astraal Vao who unwittingly sold herself out on Vendaxa. It was never stated whether or not Vao and Sia learned of Rus's duplicity yet. As such it's still in the air as to who it was that let Bastion slip, but it wasn't Ganner or Antares. After the Mynock took off from Vendaxa, Talon wanted to go after them to track them, but Nihl pointed out that by the time they go to their ships, the Mynock would already have been in hyperspace so it as well wasn't either of them.

Then of course Krayt did nothing for the failure. If Maladi can kill Governor Dorn for failure, why can't Krayt kill his helpers for the same thing!

Master Luc

12. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Sigel Dare is in two pictures in Broken arc, as a character in the background. Not exactly a great set-up for a traitor. You probably mean Legacy #0, though, correct? Still, to us who have not read Legacy #0, her turn without any warning, or set-up will be crude storytelling, if she is the traitor. Of course, creating a set-up for her turn would not demand much. Perhaps an off-hand remark by some other character that her mothers maiden name was Dorn, or something like that, would later make her betrayal understandable.

13. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    So by making her related to traitor, it's okay for her to be the traitor? I thought the whole point of Empire: In the Shadows of their Fathers was that the mistakes your parents make don't guarantee that you'll fall down the same path, and that you'll often try to do things differently than them.

I've nothing against Dare being the traitor, but for the love of God let's not see it happen because of her genes.

14. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Genes?:confused: No, just give her some good reason - preferably connecting to something we have already witnessed - to betray Fel, instead of her just becoming born again Sith out of the blue.[face_plain]

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There's enough difficulty just making the PT work with the OT, which is Lucas' own work. He can't even work with himself! Of course, had he just said his ideas had changed over time, that the PT became a bit different, I wouldn't mind. It's when he mentions this master plan, of there always being 6 movies....

16. Jedi_Master_Luc

Jul 28, 2006
    I hope it does NOT turn out to be Dare. We haven't seen her yet! Where is she?! She was on the cover of one issue, and in #0, but not a peep from her yet. It said in #0 that her galaxy is crumbling around her. That to me is not an indication of imminent betrayal. More like she is the only one who WHOULDN'T betray the Emperor. Draco seems unlikely because he was talking about doing anything to restore his rep with Roan. If the traitor is an IK, i'll have to say Ganner. (yeah i've been all over the place on who i think it's going to be. but i hope that you can see where i'm joking and where i'm being serious.) Ganner rubs me like a Danno from Hawaii 5-O. And Danno ended up the bad guy in the end....

Master Luc

17. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Looks like this issue will have everything, dogfighting, scoundrels,and Jedi vs. Sith lightsaber action. This story arc is going to have one heck of an opening!!!:)

18. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Well said, Wrinty! I was excited about seeing Chak and Kee, who we've been wondering about since Issue 0, but Gunner Yage and her buddies as well? Hello!

I doubt if they'll touch on it in this issue, but I'm still predicting that Gunner Yage is a descendant of Arien Yage, and that Arien's time lost in the Unknown Regions will end up having some sort of effect on her descendants.

19. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    Well it is called Legacy ;)

But yeah, Arien Yage was a great character, and I like the possibility that she survived and had descendants.

20. QuinineVos

QuinineVos Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Out this Weds at my local comic shop, according to their website.

21. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Astraal Vao being a traitor of some sort has been a favorite theory of mine for awhile. I always felt that the scene with Astraal calling her Moff was more than met the eye. She essentially "Schemed" her way into making the call, innocently suggesting that maybe she could check out the comm system. The entire Wolf/Shado exchange about "I will hunt the Sith" "No, be alert......The danger could come from anywhere" that goes into the scene of Astraal contacting the Moff.

Her insistence on running onto the battlefield when she believe that Roan Fel had walked into the Sith ambush was a little...strange...seeing as how there were several Sith with Lightsabers and she was unarmed. It could ahve been that if the trap was a success she wanted to make sure she was there to receive the accolades for her part in the plot.

Mind you I came up with that theory about the same time that I insisted that Rav's "Don't worry, droids caught ALL OF IT on Holovid" comment needed some reading between the lines. :)

If one of the characters we already know by name does turn into a Darth Maladi sleeper agent, I honestly hope it isn't Sigel Dare....unless she gets some character development first. Her lack of page time currently makes her pretty much of a red shirt and her betrayal wouldn't have much of an impact. I can't see it being Sia....even if she found out her father committed some atrocity she knows that the Sith are worse. Ganner doesn't seem to make much sense, as he doesn't really have any additional interests. Draco could make sense if he believes that he relationship with Sia is on the line. "That the person I care about more than my vows as a Knight, more than my fealty to your father was in danger. I Love you Sia!" I think Antares has proven himself to be a little bit less than level headed and if he believed that with Roan Fel out of the way, he could sit on the throne beside the love of his live, Marasiah Fel. It seems like a stretch for him to believe it but well....characters that began to drink the Dark Side Kool Aid ended up thinking some pretty strange things in the past...

22. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    While I am unsure if Astraal is a traitor, I certainly hope she is, as it makes sense with the implications of the scene, even though she puts on the face of innocence for the whole comic. It would also open up an interesting dynamic with Shado.

23. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Mmmmm....Dark Side Kool-Aid...

24. _Kris_

_Kris_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2006
    I'm on board on the "Astraal is a traitor" theory. During her appearances in the "Broken" arc, I just got a vibe that she wasn't as pure as snow as she was shown to be. My personal theory is that Rus is into the Imperial old school way of thinking and brainwashing someone wouldn't be something he'd think twice about to met his goals, whatever they are.

25. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    How about the "Maladi doesn't have a traitor yet" theory?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.