main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #16: Claws of the Dragon, part 3 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jango_Fettish, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melted_plasteel

melted_plasteel Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2007
    does any one think that defeating a multi-clan warlord might be one of the reasons why obi-wan is feared by tuskens?

2. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Yes, he has to fight every injustice or none at all. He can not really decide one day he will act like a Jedi and save settler A from the attacking Tuskens and the next day decide that he does not really feel like wanting to do the Jedi business that day and that he will let settler B be robbed by a swoop gang. And this is not including the fact that he thinks that watching over Luke is more important than trying to fight against the Empire or correcting other ills.

Yes, that sounds what a real Jedi might do during a desperate time, when he thinks that the future of the Jedi and the galaxy will be depending on the fate of two small children, one of which he is protecting himself. Once he himself said to Yoda that he would not hesitate to sacrifice Yoda if it would bring the end of the Clone Wars closer even by one day. And now the stakes were even higher.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, he has to fight every injustice or none at all. He can not really decide one day he will act like a Jedi and save settler A from the attacking Tuskens and the next day decide that he does not really feel like wanting to do the Jedi business that day and that he will let settler B be robbed by a swoop gang. And this is not including the fact that he thinks that watching over Luke is more important than trying to fight against the Empire or correcting other ills.

The Jedi are not idealists but Pragmatists.

Obi Wan believes Luke trumps over all.

He does what he can but won't endanger his mission.

4. SkywalkerShine

SkywalkerShine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2007
    I kinda felt bad for her too. Cade looked so... scary when he threatened Talon with that devilish grin. I was like, "Woah." But the part when Obi-Wan and Hett duels really shocked me. I might be wrong but... I think I get it now.
    Hett blamed Obi-Wan for his humiliation in front of his fellow Tuskens and blamed the Jedi. So there was no place for him but the Sith. Could Cade feel the same way? [face_thinking]

5. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Remember the way Kenobi took off both Anakin's legs and arm in one shot--well, it was something like that.

6. melted_plasteel

melted_plasteel Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2007
    i have to compliment you by saying that kenobi was looking more badass than ever.

7. SkywalkerShine

SkywalkerShine Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2007
    I agree. When he means it by kicking someone's rear, he means it. ;)

8. jedi_ursus

jedi_ursus Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2006

Actually, that Jude Watson story referred to a little earlier in the thread (the one featured in the combo-paperback of "jedi" stories) spells this out in a really cool way...when Obi-Wan is in the Tusken camp about to let rage overcome him and just slaughter the Tuskens like his apprentice did all those years before, Qui-Gon speaks to him through the force and reminds him basically find the Tusken's weakness and exploit that.... THeir weakness? Being unmasked...it brings fear and shame to them, so Obi-Wan unmasks them and reveals them by ripping away their tents and shelters using the force. This instills more fear in them than any slaughter could do and still stay true to being a jedi.
    Now I wonder "when" that event occurs in relation to the story being told in "Legacy?

Can't wait to get home from work and read this thing....

9. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Anyone else notice the minor artistic gaffe in the fight? Hett's RIGHT forearm gets lopped off, but his LEFT forearm is flying through the air in the next panel! :D Great issue! This is my favorite SW title by far.

10. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Yeah, that makes absolutely no sense. Seriously, think about it a second: he has to fix everything...or he shouldn't do anything. Doing some good is a bad thing, somehow, and doing no good is better than that. You're a better person for sitting back and watching evil or injustice than doing anything to fix it, because the moment you do something good, you're a failure for not doing everything else.

Your ideas are unrealistic, impractical, and pretty damn insulting. So, moving onto more interesting matters:

The pacing was kind of weird in this comic. Not the speed, necessarily; fast pace is good, but this felt pretty jumpy too. It seemed like a lot of important dialogues or scenes were over very quickly, and we were suddenly moving onto the next subject. The fact that there are 4 1/2 stories being jumped between may have something to do with that (Morrigan and the gang, Cade and Hett, the flashback, the Jedi on Ossus, and the Morrigan/Veed scene for the half).

The NEC's line about Hett finally got realized, and his "campaign of revenge" isn't against the Empire, but the Tatooine settlers, which I thought was interesting. Still love Morrigan's specs. Great little scene between Cade and Talon; good or evil, he's a sassy fellow. Liked the Ossus bit, too; nice sinister atmosphere throughout it.

I don't know who writes the DH taglines, but I hope they don't take offense at the amusement I'm getting from "Next issue: Whispers become SCREAMS!" :p

11. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I'm not sure Cade has that much justification for joining the Sith. They killed his family so he has no love for them but at the same time they freed him from his responsibility of being a Skywalker. His friends refuse to abandon him no matter what, despite Jariah's tough guy act even he knows it's just an act. He wanted nothing to do with either the Jedi or Sith or even the force itself & he made sure to use enough Deathsticks so that he wouldn't have to.

I'd need more info to understand why Hett became a Sith, the death of his Jedi family by the Sith & Kenobi's making him looking bad in front of the Tuskens coupled with Hett's past battles to fight the Darkside within himself is alot more justification for going Sith than what Cade has.

It's cool cause I think Cade's got the Sith look down so I'll go along with it but if I was to play the Devil's Advocate & really analyze it, I'd probably think his "Teach me the ways of the Sith, Master" business was pretty weak or a bluff.

12. Tricky

Jul 26, 2001

I see a connection now to why the Tuskens left Hett after Kenobi beat him. Cool!

Also, thank you again Jan, John & Randy. LEGACY #16 is sweet, good work peoples!

13. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    What is so insulting about them?

What iso impractical or unrealistic in saying that a Jedi should act like a Jedi all the time, and not pick his fights. So that he would try to help all the people he can help, not just some of them. Yes, it is demanding, but then nobody has said that being a Jedi is easy.

Also Obi-wan thinks that safeguarding Luke is the most important thing for him to do. I am not saying that he would not be right in this; I am just saying that he can not with clear conscience excuse inaction by using this as an argument and then at other times be active, throwing this argument aside. This claim is not really about this Legacy issue, instead it is about his actions overall during his exile.

14. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Somebody can probably give a reason to this: Why Cade does not use the same trick he used on Talon to Krayt? And how can Krayt be sure that Cade will really try to heal him, instead of killing him? If a holocron gatekeeper can cause an actual transformation for Krayt, then one could think that a powerful living Force user like Cade, especially with his special ability, could do far worse and more permanent damage to him?

15. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    You know, when you claim that someone's not "acting like a Jedi" when there's no Jedi in the history of the fiction that acts the way you seem to think they should act, it's not the writers that are portraying Jedi the wrong way....

16. Lord_Hydronium

Jun 11, 2002
    Impractical and unrealistic? No one can do everything. Fact is, people have to pick fights, because unless you expect Obi-Wan to be omnipotent - and from the sound of it, you do - he will have to give priority to some things over others. It's not "demanding" to fix everything. It's impossible. The only way to stop all evil that other people do is to just eliminate them - which, of course, creates more evil.

Insulting? You're suggesting that people who go out and do good, but are unable or even just unwilling to do good everywhere, are somehow worse people than those that don't try to do any good. That doing some good, but not all, makes you a failure. Yeah, that's pretty damn insulting to anyone who tries to make a difference for the better. You trivialize every accomplishment people make by ignoring it in favor of the things they didn't do. You glorify inaction and vilify those who do some measure of good.

17. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Maybe Krayt's just too powerful for that to work on him. And perhaps just because one ability affects him doesn't mean that another would.

I wonder if Cade is going to be the latest guy who tries to understand the dark side from the inside only to fall to it (See Ulic, Revan, Luke, etc.). Or maybe, for once in this universe, he'll learn all about it with all of its mysteries and secrets and still not fall. That would be a change.

18. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Why not? In many cases they are even clearly intending to give us Jedi that are not achieving what they know is the ideal for a Jedi, and are themselves troubled by this. Even Qui-gon Jinn was pretty defensive in TPM about the fact of not having come to free the slaves. It would have been the right thing to do. But instead the Jedi had become basically civil servants of the Old Republic, doing its bidding, thinking of problems in political terms instead of what was right. It was one of the reasons why the OJO fell: They followed the government of the Old Republic and not the Force. They did what was the right thing to do for a civil servant and a representative of the Old Republic, but which often was wrong to do when you were a Jedi.

19. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    I do not glorify inaction. I am just saying that if Obi-wan can stop a Tusken warlord from killing the settlers that stole their lands, then - and this is just an example - he should also stop Jabba from feeding enslaved girls to his pet rancor. There is a limit for what he can do, but if he lets one evil to continue even when he is capable of ending it, then we should not give a standing ovation for him for having stopped the Tuskens from killing the settlers.

20. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I think I'd choose another example. It seems to me that taking down the sector's most notorious gangster is not the best idea for someone trying to hide from the greater galaxy.

21. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    It was just an example - and of course he would not have to get caught or at least recognized as a Jedi, and then his identity could remain hidden. Also making a such decision is not really fit for a Jedi, at least in normal times. Perhaps keeping Luke in safe justifies inaction when it comes to the criminal activies on Tatooine during the Dark Times. (Although I do find it troubling that when it comes to acting against natives driven from their lands, instead of criminals, Obi-wan is ready to ride to battle as eagerly as any cavalryman in an old Western.)

22. Lord_Hydronium

Jun 11, 2002
    Like hell you don't. "Yes, he has to fight every injustice or none at all."

What's that? I see you giving two choices there: do everything, or do nothing. Doing something, but not everything is not on that list, and it sure looks to me like you're saying doing nothing is better than that.

Wrongo. You'll notice I didn't quote the rest, because it's irrelevant for this point. Obi-Wan doesn't stop some other crime from happening? Fine, criticize him for that if you like. But saying that fighting the Tuskens is wrong, that whatever else he does or doesn't do means stopping them isn't a good act? That's a load of crap.

23. Tricky

Jul 26, 2001
    When Obi-1 walks into a place like Jabba's Palace or the Mos Eisley Cantina, he's bound to get recognized, talked about & then hunted by Bounty Hunters or the Imperials. When he's dealing with Tusken Raiders, he can be absolutely certain that no one there will know who he is or what he is nor will they tell anyone that can do something about it like sell that info to the Imperials. He's hiding & protecting that which matters most, he's got to pick the battles that he knows he can win while still remaining anonymous & taking care of the kid.

24. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    And what you are seeing is an illusion. I do not glorify inaction. But what I mean is that if Obi-wan decides to fight injustice in one case, then he can not be inactive when faced with another injustice that he could correct and still afterwards have a clear conscience.

Saving Luke was probably a good act, but was stopping what Hett intended to do against the settlers a good act? After all, what right Obi-wan has to take sides in a local conflict on a planet that was not even a member of the fallen Old Republic? But now he helped the settlers. What right did he have to do that?:confused:

25. Juken_Rukhan

Juken_Rukhan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2004
    Is this issue worth buying?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.