main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #16: Claws of the Dragon, part 3 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jango_Fettish, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    They do not seem to completely cauterize, though. Look carefully at the Wampa that Luke 'disarms'. There is plenty of blood. There is also blood in the Cantina scene of ANH when Obi-Wan disarms the criminal bothering Luke.

However, there are no gouts of blood when Anakin looses his arm in AtoC. There's no rush of blood when Dooku looses his head in RotS. There are no founts of blood when Anakin looses the rest of his limbs later in that movie. There's no blood when Luke looses his hand, and we aren't given a good enough angle on the Tauntaun to see if it bleeds when Han cuts it open. Mace Windu didn't fall out the window spurting pints of blood.

So... maybe lightsaber wounds don't bleed only when you're a Force-user? :oops:

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Actually, you'll note a simpler connection: all those who don't bleed are human. It may be that Wampas and Aqualish have physical differences which make cauterization more difficult.

3. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    All instances of ligthsabers leaving blood happened very early on in ANH and ESB- places where its been admitted that they really hadn't thought through everything with lightsabers. For me, I look at the Prequels because this is where they finally had all the little details figured out.

4. TIEDefenderPilot

TIEDefenderPilot Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2003
    Most of the goons in RoJ that get sabered don't seem to erupt in Evil Dead like gouts of blood.

5. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Ditto Luke in Empire.

6. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I think Havac wins the "answer that makes the most sense" award.

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Is a Zabrek human? If not, then yes he's right. However, if you notice, there is a spray of red just as Obi-Wan slices Maul in half. It's very subtle but it's there.

When I write about cauterization in my fics, I always think that the saber would cauterize the area where it touches but if the being moves a lot, the burned flesh might pull apart and then there might be blood. Of course, that doesn't explain ANH's cantina scene.

Another inconsistancy in the SW universe... gasp! LOL. :p

8. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    Zabraks are certainly not baseline humans. We don't really know if they're near-human or totally alien, but even if they are near-human, all that's needed to make sense is a minor change in blood chemistry. I don't see a problem.

9. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I always saw that as flash-vaporized blood-- the "red smoke" or whatever seen in (Stackpole's?) novels on occasion.

So, no problem at all.

10. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    I have to agree with dianethx in that cauterization can become 'undone' in a way. Way back when I had to have braces on my teeth, I had an eye-tooth that had never descended from the gum because there was no space for it. Space was made for it and other teeth via the removal of first bicuspids. However, to get this tooth down, they had to dig it out of the gum. The oral surgeon used a laser to cauterize the area and then applied a packing that had the consistancy of dried up chewing gum. Later that evening, the packing tore loose, which further damaged the area that had been cauterized, and there was significant bleeding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.