main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Our celebration of the 20 Years of the Jedi Council is over!

Here's to 20 more years!

3. Our celebration of the 20 Years of the Jedi Council is over!

Here's to 20 more!

Legacy #16: Claws of the Dragon, part 3 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jango_Fettish, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Whoa...this is not what I expected at all. No wonder we were told the Krayt reveal wasn't the big surprise...

2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 2006
    Concerning the Obi-Wan child idea --- keep in mind that something that crazy would likely have to be approved by Lucas himself. And it seems like something that he would give a very adamant "No" too.

So... Hett, then?

3. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I'd just like to point out that, right or wrong, I was pitching Krayt=Hett before it became cool. Posers. :p

Oh, and this is awesome. And very unexpected. But all the more awesome for that. It's great to see that after 30 years, this franchise is still full of surprises.

4. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    TRAVIS CHAREST has been put on my list of cool cover artists. September can't get here fast enough!

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ten credits Darth Krayt's past had something to do with [link=http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Owen_Kenobi]this guy.[/link] ;)

6. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    So... you're saying that Krayt is actually Robo-Maul, who fought a lonely battle with Kenobi in Old Wounds, but was "killed" by Owen The Bad@$$?

[face_mischief]

7. JEDI-KILLER_17

JEDI-KILLER_17 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Well it's a good thing your only betting fake money...[face_whistling]

8. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    :eek:

:_|[face_laugh]

9. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Well, this is shocking. But a good one. Could Krayt be a Hett beaten by Kenobi? Doubt it, this talks about Obi-Wan's legacy, and makes it clear that it's during the Clone War, so, can't be fighting Hett. Could Krayt be a love child of Siri and Obi-Wan? They do say lonely, and Siri died, maybe she left behind a child.

But the bigger question is how this plays into the big reveal of Krayt's identity. hmm.

10. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    Out of curiosity, has it been confirmed Hett appears one way or another in Legacy?

11. QuinineVos

QuinineVos Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 16, 2005
    Says, "in the wake of the Clone Wars," meaning, shortly after.

12. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    No. Lots of people are being very silly.

13. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 6 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    No, lots of people are reacting to the fact that he was a confirmed survivor in the NEC and then not mentioned once for two years. And like a few people have said already, I'm more convinced than ever that it's him - or at least a descendant. I'm actually rooting for carbonite, myself, if only because it's a severely underused device in the EU.

QFT.

14. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    They didn't get Lucas' approval for Ben Skywalker. Not saying that means I'm in favour of the idea. But I doubt they'd need his explicit approval either.

15. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    What the heck? , Meaning Obiwan wasnt such an eremit at all..

16. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    thats an intresting point!

17. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    I'm thinking this really locks in A'Sharad Hett or an immediate descendant (son?) as Krayt. He's really the only character besides Obi-Wan that has a good reason to be on Tatooine in this timeframe. Hett had already been tempted by the Dark Side (and we all know the Dark Woman wasn't exactly the best teacher), so it's conceivable he might have gone into a dark spell following Order 66 and the like.

Here's my theoretical scenario:

A'Sharad Hett returns to Tatooine, and slowly gives in to despair and anger. Over the course of a few years he begins to secretly band together the Tusken Raider clans with the intent of "reclaiming" Tatooine for them.

Obi-Wan catches wind of this, and seeks out Hett to try to talk some sense into him. It doesn't work, and Kenobi is forced to kill him. Of course, it was all done in secret, hence Obi-Wan's "lonely battle" against the Tuskens/Hett.

But the duel is witnessed by Hett's young son, who had already begun his tutelage under his father. Hett's son grows up on Tatooine, and his "opportunity to end the Skywalker Line when he had the chance" was that he discovered Luke and knew who/where he was, but didn't do anything about it. In any case, Hett's boy grows up to become Krayt.

Alternately:

Obi-Wan defeats Hett, but instead of killing him, grants him mercy. Hett agrees to "stand down" and goes into his own hermitage. But as time passes and the Galaxy grows more dark and conflicted, Hett falls into darkness again, and this time there's no Obi-Wan around to stop him/talk him down. He begins a quest to track down knowledge (dark and otherwise) to let him bring peace to the Galaxy again....by whatever means necessary. Obi-Wan's "lonely battle" could have been his "battle" to keep Hett from falling to the Dark Side.

Really, Hett is beginning to make perfect sense. The markings and to an extent the mentality of the "New Sith" are very "tribal." With characters like Talon who is a "third generation Sith" it seems that these Sith are also "family" to an extent. Perhaps it's all a reflection of Hett/Krayt's past?

And of course, there's the facial markings and the two-blade fighting style that Krayt shares with Hett, as well as the very choice of name (the fiercest predator of Hett's native Tatooine).

While Hett would be a somewhat anticlimactic reveal, I'm thinking it could turn out to be quite an interesting story despite that.

Or of course, Krayt could just be Obi-Wan and Asajj's love child....or Hett and Ventress' child. Hmmmm. Lucas wouldn't likely approve a child for Obi-Wan, but I doubt he'd have a problem with Hett and Ventress. ;)

18. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    =D=

QFT. That makes the cover even more perfect.

Here's a high-res, non-sharpened and more detailed:

[image=http://images.comicbookresources.com/solicits/darkhorse/200709/SWLEG-16-FC-FNL.jpg]

19. FollowTheSnowflies

FollowTheSnowflies Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 28, 2007

Well, this arc was originally called 'KRAYT' so I'd imagine every part will touch on him to some extent or another.

I think the likely scenario is that this will be Krayt's flashback. He could even be narrating- explaining his origins to Cade, having already revealed his identity at the end of #15.

20. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Well, I know I'm in the minority, but I think it would be interesting if the descendents of Obi-Wan were at war with the descendents of Anakin. Nice and poetic.

And why is everyone so hell-bent on A'Sharad being Krayt?! Is it just because he's affiliated with Tatooine?

21. Jmacq1

May 20, 2005
    Because he generally makes sense?

22. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    This is one of those forehead-slapping moments of revelation, isn't it? The guy's name is "Krayt", like the dragon from Tatooine. And the story arc was even retitled "Claws of the Dragon".

Hett does seem to be the likely conclusion, but who said the likely conclusion is what we'll get here?

23. Jmacq1

May 20, 2005
    No one, really. But the hints we've been given from the writers (sparse though they may be) have strongly indicated that Krayt's identity isn't likely to be all that "earth shattering" (ie he's not going to be Jacen Solo, or Ben Skywalker, etc...). They've made a big point about "Who Krayt is isn't that important, it's why he is that matters" (or something to that effect). I'd say being Obi-Wan Kenobi's secret child would fall in the "earth shattering" category as well.

Between that and the other evidence that's been cited in this thread (and elsewhere) A'Sharad Hett is a very likely candidate.

24. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Just a shame it won't be A'Sharad isn't it. [face_mischief]

25. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Immortal Mod-King of the EUC, RPF and SWC star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Hmmmm. Krayt being Maul or Hett....I'm not sure which I'd rather have. Have to see! Great cover, though. [face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.