main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #16: Claws of the Dragon, part 3 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jango_Fettish, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike-Sunrider

Mike-Sunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2003
    This could end up really awful or mildly entertaining. I'm reserving my judgement for when I've read it.

2. Crazydan

Crazydan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2005
    Maybe it is an insane clone of Kenobi? If anyone can come up with crazy ideas...

3. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    So the real legacy... is Zahn's.

4. JEDI-KILLER_17

JEDI-KILLER_17 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    I'm already hoping, no matter who Krayt is, that we get a novel or at least a mini-series diving into his origins even deeper.

I would very much like to see stories set on Tatooine during Kenobi's stay there, and then have future Krayt show up or at least cross-referenced in a novel during that time.

Maybe we will see some sort of hint show up in the other DH comics set in that time period.

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Maybe Obi-Wan and Hett met up on Tatooine one day, and both being wanted Jedi out on the run, they decided to go off and get plastered on the desert one night. The two got so wasted, and were so engrossed in trying to outdo one another performing Krayt dragon mating call imitations, that they didn't realize they had summoned a REAL Krayt dragon over to their party until it was too late. The Krayt beat the crap out of the two Jedi, and two walked out of the battle with addled brains.

Ever since, Obi-Wan's been a compulsive lier, and Hett believes he has some deadly disease that's turning him into a Krayt dragon (little does he know that it's really just old age).

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Descendant won't do. He knew the Jedi of old.

7. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Don't I know it --- I'm the one who added it to the Wookieepedia article! [face_peace]

Man, I hope you got the info from the Wook. That would add some delicious irony to this exchange. :)

8. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Honestly I'm not sure where I got the info - I think I remember reading it in an interview with some official type (Rostoni or Chee?). I may have gotten it from the Wook; I know it's not always terribly accurate, but since you added the info - I doubt very much that you added a straight-up lie ;) Though it also wouldn't be the first time I was wrong!

Irony of the exchange notwithstanding - I'm genuinely interested to know why you think they'd need Lucas' approval to give Obi-Wan a kid but not Luke?

9. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    First of all, until all of this shenanigans, I hadn't heard of Hett, which I guess is sad as an EU reader. But after reading everything there is to know about him, I have to say I'd be disappointed if it was him. Just seems kind of blah.

And second, I think people are way over-analyzing the "lonely battle". Sounds to me it's just him dealing with his loneliness, being a hermit and in exile. This of course sounds to me like a lady friend, which would be pretty crazy, but insanely awesome. And they say "the legacy of Obi-Wan Kenobi, kinda seems like they're talking about descendants, not just what he did. We pretty much know his legacy in terms of his accomplishments.

10. Mike-Sunrider

Mike-Sunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2003
    In a way they would have totally ruined Obi-Wan Kenobi's character. You do realise that, right? Keep the Obi/someone ships in the Fanfiction.

11. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    That's a good point that I'd forgotten. Another check mark in the "most likely Hett" column.

A child/descendant of Obi-Wan or Hett wouldn't likely be able to make that claim.

I have to agree here. While the warm fuzzy romantic side of me would like to see Obi-Wan get some action, the die hard Star Wars fan in me says "Please no."

One of the main things Obi-Wan had going for him was that he was the last truly great Jedi of Yoda's Order. To have him turn away from the teachings and beliefs of that Order for some random Tatooine farmgirl (or whatnot) when he wouldn't even do so for the nominal "love of his life" (Siri Tachi) just seems...wrong. As does negating his "hermitage" by revealing that he had a "secret wife" or somesuch in the meantime. It just makes him seem...a little less mythic. Yes, the loneliness would be a trial...but it should be one that Obi-Wan is more than capable of overcoming. To do otherwise almost seems like he would have given in to despair, and that's not the Jedi way. ;)

It'd have to be a heck of a story to get me to buy into it.

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    By the time of Legacy saying that you knew Luke and Kyp and co. would be enough to claim that you know the Jedi of old.

Besides, surely a Hett descendant would know his own father? Maybe he and Obi-Wan gang up on Baby Krayt, both refusing to share his vision. Who knows?

B'Sharad Hett is far from ruled out.

Besides, Krayt's holocron is full of mistakes - "today the last of the Jedi will die".

Poppycock.

We've learned since then that he only got half of the order. :p

13. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Krayt would have to have been one hell of a baby if both Obi-Wan and Hett had to team up against him at that age :p

14. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    took you long enough![face_peace]

if you really want to see some great chrest artwork -- check out his old run in image's wildc.a.t.s.
    PHENOMENAL

i think john and jan have been shocking us almost every couple of issues -- so what makes everyone think they can figure this out so easily?

krayt = hett is far from proven -- so just relax!
    hate / love --- little too early for those emotion-- the book doesnt come out til september!!!!!!!!!

the word legacy can represent a lot of things -- but acting like you are certain it means hett or kenobi's kid is way too speculative.

did john /jan even invent hett? i didnt think so -- so i have a hard time believing they would make him their major baddie -- since they dont seem to have a history of doing that with someone else's characters

remember we first saw quinlan on tattoine in TPM -- so maybe its Quinlan after all? he was in a constant search for the second sith -- and it turned out to be anakin.
    he had chances to kill him also!

see how easy it can be to back up a theory with shaky evidence?

not too shabby... i can see that!
    and assajj living is really all b/c of obi-wan [speaking of legacies]
    after she seeks out the true sith [face_beatup] - she goes in search of kenobi -- and finds hett instead

i for one think it would be so totally lame if obi-wan had a family that went dark after -- it just DOES NOT fit in SW at all
    no way GL approves of tarnishing obi wans image so directly -- and no way john or jan do it either

15. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Yeah, I suspect that this story will ultimately make Obi-Wan more heroic than ever. It's how it'll accomplish that particular feat that remains a mystery.

16. DS_Emp_Viper

DS_Emp_Viper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2001
    uhh...just leave Obi-Wan's story dead and buried before we get a bunch of people asking for his resurrection....

17. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    I don't want his resurrection, but I've been waiting to see the return of his Force Ghost for like...ever. Even moreso once I learned that ghost Luke made an appearence in Legacy. If Obi-Wan is involved in the history of Legacy, he may actually show up as a ghost, which would be great :D

18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I agree (though I don't think his ghostly presence is neccessary and I'd rather see him crop up in LotF)

Cade: Obi-Wan!? But... you told Luke you had to move on to another plane, that you couldn't stay to guide him any longer!

Obi-Wan: Your great-great grandfather needed to follow his own path, not be shackled by my expectations of him. So, what I told him was true - from a certain point of view.

19. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Did it occur to anyone else that because Hett's sooooo 'obvious' Jan & John would never do it? Legacy's been throwing us curveballs for 13 issues now, why would they stop now?

20. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Because now we're expecting a curveball, so not giving us one would actually be a curveball.

It may have been 'obvious' to you guys, but I've never heard of this character before so it sure isn't obvious to me.

21. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    Besides, again, remember Jan & John (and i think Randy echoed their comments as well) have said essentially that the "why"/"how" of Krayt may in fact be more interetsing/important than the "who".

22. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    So... you're saying they'd throw a Sith Herring at us? [face_mischief]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/Rogue_Follower/sithherring.jpg]

23. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    I used to think that before this issue. I didn't want Hett to be Krayt, and that was one of my main arguments. But given the description we are given, I really cannot think of anyone else who fits the bill.

24. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Not unless they really wanted you to cut down the tallest tree in the forest in exchange for a shrubbery.

...I'll get my coat. :p

25. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    I don't think it would totally ruin the character. It would change a lot of what we know about him, but it would just add a whole other side that hasn't been explored or talked about. And believe me, I'm not a shipper, it's just my opinion. And I've never read a fanfic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.