main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #21: Indomitable, part 2 (of 2) - The conclusion of a shocking two-part tale! INDOMNICTABLE!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Oh, that's fine then. I don't mind an ensemble cast of pilots. Skull Squadron on Coruscant is already a step in the right direction, now they just need to give the GA more spotlight. And while we've had Rogue Squadron comics and books, most of them were set in the later Rebellion eras, not like in the early, just before or after ANH. It'd be interesting to see GA pilots under that amount of stress. And pardon the outburst, I just... don't happen to like the new Battlestar Galactica, its getting way too weird for my taste. Although I'm also still a fan of the original Battlestar (in all its campy, corny silly glory) probably doesn't help either.

Sorta on-topic, I do wonder how much of a government Stazi might have with his fleet. From what it sounds like, Stazi just barely managed to escape from Caamas with his own forces. Since then, its hard to tell if he would've picked up anybody. Its not like during the Rebellion days when Mon Mothma showed up on warships frequently and Admiral Ackbar was both Admiral of the Rebellion fleet and a high-ranking Rebellion official. Stazi could've picked up some government people along the way, but then again, just adding more people might just strain his limited resources even more, which might not be something he'd want.

And I kinda wonder what his opinion of the GA government might be too. Stazi is still loyal to the GA, of course, but what was left of the New Republic Defense Force was not feeling pretty happy with their government by the halfway point of the Yuuzhan Vong War. Though let's hope the Sith-Imperial War was conducted in a more competent manner than the YV War was.

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The Triumvirate agreed to carry on working under the Empire, and in essence betrayed the entire GA by surrendering.

I doubt Stazi likes them too much. :p

Sounds very...post-World War One Germany, with the military blaming the politicians.

And with Darth Krayt incredibly Hitler-class with himself not being born a Sith (Hitler being Austrian), but taking those born a Sith into consideration especially (Hitler championing Aryan's while he himself was not one), I wonder what conflict the writers of Legacy have in mind for us...

[face_thinking]

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Cute.

[b]Ferguson[/b]: Since we appear to be done with the meat of the discussion, I'll keep this very brief.

The problem is not with the use of Wikis themselves, but the conflict between Wikis and the original sources. Whenever there's a discrepancy between them, the sources always win. That's all.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Well, put yourself in the Alliance government's shoes. Your main fleet is crushed at Caamas, you have been losing the war for awhile now, and the Empire is closing in on your capital. It is entirely possible that they decided that surrender was the best option, in order to save countless civilian lives.

As for the Triumvirate, it is hard to say exactly what their role was in the aftermath of the Imperial/Sith victory. Based on what Veed was saying during that briefing before Krayt took over, the Triumvirate was only being kept around until the Imperial government was fully established. It is most likely that the Triumvirate was "removed" as soon as Krayt and his minions established their control.

Of course, we still don't know exactly what the Triumvirate is. My guess is that the trio includes the Chief of State, a Senatorial official, and possibly the GSDF Supreme Commander. However, until John revelas a bit more, it is entirely conjecture.

As for Admiral Stazi, odds are that after his escape from Caamas that other surviving fleet units and some governmental officials linked up with him. Isolated task forces, deep space patrols, individual capital ships and starifghter squadrons would of rallied to Stazi's command.

As for Alliance governmental officials, I would not be suprised to see a mix of senators, diplomats, planetary governors, and ministirial types all linking up with Stazi too. Unless the GARemnant is only a military body, there would be at least some politicians to set up a government-in-exile.

Jeff_Ferguson:

Hopefully issues #20 and #21 shed some more light on the structure of the GA Remnant. It's nice to know there are a few other GA fans out there.

Nobody145:

Well, based on the little we know about the Sith-Imperial War, the Alliance government was winning the war with Jedi aid until the Sith joined the Empire. Based on the assumption that the GA and Empire were allies up until the war, it is entirely possible that the Alliance govern,ment was sucessful during the years between LOTF and Legacy.

--Adm. Nick

5. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I'm definitely done with meat --- until tomorrow, anyway. I had some Indian food for dinner, and had a very unpleasant trip to the bathroom. Ick.

Uh, I mean... to the refresher.

Was it Sacrifice where someone told Jacen that he, Niathal, and Cal Omas were essentially a Triumvirate? After LOTF ends, it's possible that the GAG will still be kicking, and that that will be your triumvirate right there --- Chief of State, Head of GAG, and Supreme Commander.

I really hope that GAG goes under, though.

6. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    GAG is designed to make us gag-- er, dislike it. I am trusting in Stazi types and the free Force users to oust it and set up the Imperial regime of the comics Legacy era.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We don't yet know if the GAG still exists or not. It may be gone already.

8. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    Oops. You are right. :oops: I edited that so it is time-line compatible.

Caedus is flow-walking us into Vector???

9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Excellent point, my Imperial friend.

While the final outcome of LOTF is yet to be seen, we know that the Galactic Alliance survives. Free of Sith or Imperial control, up through 130 ABY. I am inclined to believe that the GAG is one of the first things to go when ole' Darth Caedus is killed/deposed/retreats/melts/falls down a shaft/insert random fate here. :)

While we do not know the exact state of the Alliance post 130 ABY, we do know that it had good enough relations with the New Jedi Order that the Jedi still kept a temple on Coruscant. And the all important fact that the Alliance followed Jedi advice to support the Vong after the Sith sabotage of Project Ossus. And considering the Jedi fought on the side of the GA during the Sith-Imperial War.

--Adm. Nick

10. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Perhaps....Chief of State Luke Skywalker!? [face_laugh] Most likely Jedi relations with the GA will improve in the aftermath of the death/general neutralization of Caedus by one of their own (most likely Jaina).

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, it seems very likely that there was some sort of "reparation/reconstruction" going on that returned the GA to its professed principles and eradicated that police state business. Otherwise, as you correctly point out, the Jedi would not have had such good relations with them. Especially considering what Jacen's GA has been doing.

12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Based on a holocron entry at the end of the Jedi vs. Sith sourcebook, it is increasing like (as I have been harping to people for a year) that the Jedi and Alliance rapidly restore friendly relations. Afterall, the way I read Jedi apprentice Ellu Viss's holocron entry was that she had remorse in the apparent defeat of the GA during the Sith-Imperial War.

John, forgive me if this is considered a spoiler by DH, but when you wrote Legacy did you envision the GA and Jedi as having reparied relations int eh aftermath of the S-I War? So far, the hints (GA/Jedi cooperation on Project Ossus, Jedi aiding the GA during the war) seem to point to that conclusion.

Also- when will we have the arc name? I am curious as to why there are no names for the issues yet. :)

--Adm. Nick

13. jfostrander01

jfostrander01 Writer: Dawn of the Jedi, Agent of the Empire star 3 VIP

Oct 26, 2001
    Certainly the Jedi and the GA work together BEFORE the Sith-Imperial War and, obviously, fought together during it against the Empire and the Sith. AFTER that, after the fall of Ossus -- well, what do we have of the GA outside of Gar Stazi and his fleet? (The upcoming story will help clarify that to a degree.) And the Jedi were scattered. Stazi's own feelings towards to the Jedi currently have not been much explored.

-- John

14. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Thanks for the response. I obviously look forward to you explaining what exactly makes up the Galactic Alliance Remnant. Hopefully at least a few honorable politicians and senators round out Stazi's group. :)

I am hoping that the Alliance and the Jedi still maintain some ties after the Sith-Imperial War. Afterall, they are longtime allies and both are in the same boat. (In other words, both are weakened and scattered)

--Adm. Nick

15. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Preview!

Looks like Stazi's flagship gets a name, along with a few new GA officers.

16. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The Empire's in that boat, too.

It's been more than implied that the Jedi aren't hanging out with the GA, anymore.

Edit: Anyone catch the hint that the Corellian's are a-okay with the GA, these days?

17. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Borasco seems to be not only a leader of the whole GA apparently - Supreme Commander, member of the triumvirate? - but I would guess that he is also an apparent traitor. Because GA wasn't losing that badly, it appears, had still Coruscant, the Jedi had won a victory over the Sith... Even a defeat at Caamas shouldn't have mean the end of GA. And then Borasco steps in to declare surrender.:( It's pretty certain now Corellia is still a member of GA in 130 ABY.

18. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Woah, the GA's starbird is even more modified than I thought.

Anyway, this new artist has my approval. He can stay.

19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Why?
    :oops:
    Appears to who? We don't know the state of the GA, right now, nor what the Empire was bringing to bear against them.
    No.
    This is the last battle of the war, not the first. We don't know how well the GA's doing = presumably not well considering the Sullustan declares that the loss of Caamas is in fact the end of the GA.

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    What I truly love about Legacy is that the run so far is really two stories in one - the story of current galaxy, and the story of what happened at the end of the war. Elements of the latter are revealed in relation to the former, and we get another piece of the puzzle each time...

21. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Let's see: Borasco can't order a surrender of all GA fleets everywhere, if he isn't of very high rank. And Stazi's stance shows, the GA could still fight. So why did Borasco give up? Lack of will to fight or a traitor? I guess traitor.

Feint attack is still an attack - feint attacks in WWI tended to cause huge casualties - and this Sith attack seems to have led to a heavy battle, which the Jedi won. The Sith didn't get to Coruscant. This of course implies that the Jedi basically must have had a fleet of their own.

One fleet battle can't decide the fate of of a state which had probably hundreds of thousands of member worlds, even after defections and losses. The thing is, one can never conquer huge states if they decide to fight. They can always retreat, re-organize, fight guerilla wars on occupied areas. Etc. Only big states which die through war are those whose elite jump ships.

22. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Let's see: Borasco can't order a surrender of all GA fleets everywhere, if he isn't of very high rank. And Stazi's stance shows, the GA could still fight. So why did Borasco give up? Lack of will to fight or a traitor? I guess traitor.

It depends how we define traitor.

It's quite possible he simply found Veed's terms to be acceptable.

23. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Like Petain? Whether Borasco ordered surrender after being bribed or having lost his nerve, he still betrayed GA. The surrender wasn't necessary: Stazi's actions on Caamas and during the last seven years after it make that clear. If Stazi could get those who choose to continue the fight out of Caamas, then the whole GA armada could have escaped Caamas. They could have gone to Coruscant, joined the Jedi, could have pulled more ships from other areas - certainly GA must have had ships elsewhere still - and make a stand there.

24. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Again, you're using an awfully large definition of betrayal since we don't know what the terms are. Victory is not always the most desirable course for a war as Pyhrric victories show. Let's face it, the Galactic Alliance wasn't losing but it wasn't WINNING either.

A quick end to the war and minimal reparations might have been vastly preferable. Of course, my father always used World War 1 as an example.

"When you sacrifice a 10th of your nation's young men to achieve a victory that's in a foreign nation you didn't like that much to begin with, you're best to re-evaluate your priorities."

25. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    It's not all fleets everywhere. Notice that Veed's there at Caamas, not...everywhere. Maybe he's the Supreme Commander, but there doesn't appear to be much left of the GA.
    The Jedi won an attack meant solely to distract. This is not a major victory.
    And yet surrender is often a pretty good option. Notice, again, that it's not just Bellasco, but Stazi and the Sullustan that realize the loss at Caamas is the loss of the war. World matter not, here - military capability does.
    That doesn't count as winning. We call that a "remnant."
    Or who lose the capability to wage war.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.