main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #32: Fight Another Day, part 1 (of 2)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    A fantastic story with fantastic artwork! :D

See below for a brief synopsis and some general things I liked/noticed:

The issue starts with the Imperial attack on the Mon Cal Refugee camp. The Mon Cal Rangers appear in their Krakana fighters. Treis Sinde appears and dices some seatroopers, as well as boards Acklay Base Sealion and deals it some severe internal damage. Before he leaves the craft he encounters a Sluissi named Bor Aslek. Apparently Aslek and Sinde served together before the war on the Imperial warship Intrepid, during a mission to the Unknown Regions. Aslek is loyal to the Sith Empire and assaults Sinde. Sinde kills Aslek in self defense, but it bothered that he killed a former friend.

The Mon Cal Rangers have a grotto underwater. This cave has oxygen and is their base of operations. The Mon Cals are proud of their victory, but Sinde feels otherwise. His goal was the capture of the Sealion. The Rangers attacked prematurely due to their desire to save refugees. Sinde basically uses cold logic to explain that they cannot hope to beat the Sith. Rather, they need to survive long enough until "the rest of the galaxy puts together enough muscule to drive the enemy away". I assume he refers to his hope of a GA/Fel alliance against the Sith.

Cut to the Sith. Lord Azard and a Givin scientist named Vul Isen are on a underwater AT-AT. (It looks very similar to the one from WEG). Basically we learn that they plan to use the Sith Leviathan they created to hunt down any Mon Cals who have not been rounded up. The issue ends with the Leviathan killing dozens of Mon Cals who were in a underwater prison cell.

It was a really fantastic issue. My apologies for my brief synopsis, but I am a bit short on time.

The Krakana fighters, underwater AT-AT, Acklay Base, and Shark-class fighters are all awesome. Omar does a fantastic job with these designs, as well as the fact that he is now the undisputed master of drawing Mon Cal faces. Each one is unique, each displaying great emotions. Sinde is a bad@ss, plus there is a great exchange between him and the Rangers leader Tanquar. Basically, Tanquar asked Sinde if he would still fight for the Mon Cals if Roan Fel ordered him home. Sinde's response is that he honors the Mon Cal and would never betray them.

I can't wait for the next issue. Other than another GA-centric arc, this sidestory is my favorite! :D

--Adm. Nick

2. Darth_Nihl

Darth_Nihl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2008
    Thanks for the synopsis! Wow! A Given!! I am so excited. Here's hoping he survives!!!!

3. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    This was a great issue. I'm sort of wishy washy when it comes to Legacy. There are parts I love and parts I hate.

This issue was nothing but the stuff I love. Exploring new areas, seeing new tech, further developing the galactic conflict, and above all referencing ancient Sith alchemy and artifacts.

These are the type of Sith I want to see!

Cade is interesting at times when he isn't Tobey Maguiring the character (EMO!) but the rest of the protagonist crew Deliah Blue, the other guy, Shaazen, etc. all bore me to tears. Krayt did too for that matter.

Can I vote for my main-cast free issues? Or perhaps a new main cast.

-The Rebel Gungan

4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Many thanks.
    I can't wait to read it.

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, pretty good issue, though not one of my favorite ones- no offense, I just prefer space or land combat to underwater combat. And unfortunately, no appearance by the GA, the entire issue was on Mon Calamari- not that that's a bad thing, I just miss seeing the Remnant. Not to mention all the recent talk about SSDs in other tpoics make me eager to see the Alliance again.

Anyway, on to the issue itself... I love the Krakana designs, and there's even a... sea dragon (?) symbol on its belly as they drive off the Sharks, and the Acklay fortress design is also very nice. And Treis Sinde kicked plenty of butt, though we also see more effects of the Imperial schism between Fel and Krayt. Sinde ran into someone who had served under him, and that person was just following the Moffs' orders (chain of command and all that). Sinde was apparently trying to capture the Acklay, but the Mon Cal Rangers attacked early when they saw the refugees were under attack. And another interesting tidbit is that the commanding officer of the Acklay was called incompetent by the Sith scientist, who said that the idiot only advanced so high due to so many higher ranking officers defecting to Fel. Which I think touches on that issue from Broken, where General Jaeger (at least I think that was his name, the 501st commander) remained loyal to Fel, but the young Lieutanent was loyal to the throne, or rather, Krayt.

Ouch, the Mon Calamari are really being slaughtered, especially with the Sith Sea Leviathan on the loose now. That Sith scientist, Vul Isen, is really creepy, and he's Force sensitive too. Apparently he based his creation on the old Leviathan, following a suggestion from Darth Wyyrlok, who's helpful, unlike Maladi who never shares anything.

And to be exact, Treis Sinde said that he's glad to be there, to be able to help the Mon Cals, and he respects them, and he would never choose to betray them. Of course, maybe in the future he won't have a choice... as the Mon Cal Ranger commander Tanquar said, "That is... good to know, Master Sinde". I like Treis Sinde, he seems like a nice fellow, but we've seen that commands from the Emperor can sometimes override honor... or rather, certain IKs don't have high opinions of non-Imperials. Let's hope we don't have to see Sinde make a choice between honor and his Emperor. Ganner already seemed almost ready to rebel.

Pretty good issue, and I'm looking forward to next month's issue. *starts humming the Jaws theme* I just wish there was more GA, these non-Cade issues don't come often enough.

6. Darth_Nihl

Darth_Nihl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2008
    If someone wanted to upload a picture of Vul Isen, I would be quite pleased...:)

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    You know, those Krakana underwater fighters are pretty damned cool. Looking back at the issue after dinner, I noticed that they definately appear be able to "move" akin to an live krakana. The heads move slightly, the mandibles move, etc.

They are also quite heavily armed. I count six laser cannons- one on each of the four arms, plus a pair on the main body behind the "head".

nobody145:

Good catch on the conversation between Tanquar and Treis Sinde. There is definately some possible foreshadowing that Sinde may be forced to choose between following the orders of Emperor Fel or aiding his Mon Cal allies. It can't be easy for Sinde either. He is basically dealing with a people that are extremely loyal to the Galactic Alliance, so I imagine an Imperial is viewed with some suspicion.

Also- the Acklay's official designation is "mobile battle fortress". I hope that the AT-AT looking craft gets a designation in #33, or possibily even in the Legacy-Era Campaign Guide.

--Adm. Nick

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I wasn't wowed by the Krakana fighters, to be honest- dunno. I liked the sharks and other craft better.

9. Wordslinger

Wordslinger Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 5, 2009
    I think its safe to say that I wasn't dissapointed--great issue.

A leviathan! I didn't see that one coming. and it wasn't even a regular one, it was a sea Leviathan, kinda looked like a big shrimp. I liked all the underwater craft, although i thought Sinde took out that Acklay walker a little too easily, even though it just ran away--but i guess that's just the Sith Empire for you.

I liked the Mon Cal Rangers, especially the leader Tanquar. He seems to cocky, like when he took credit for driving away the Acklay fortress, and Sinde says no I drove it away and you basically kriffed up the entire operation. Can't wait to see how he reacts when that Leviathan comes to town, his eagerness to jump the operations just might get than Mon Calamari cooked.
    I also liked the New Sith Scientist, Vul Isen. I appreciate his distaste for Maladi, and am also pleased that Darth Wyyrlok suggested the use of a Leviathan in the first place. Since Wyyrlok approves the Mon Cal extermination can continue beyond the death of Darth Krayt.

This last one is for you AdmiralNick22. You mentioned in an earlier post that you looked back over the issue after dinner, you by chance didn't happen to have any of that fresh cooked Calamari did you?
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

10. Emperor_Time

Emperor_Time Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2007
    Yeah I agree it was a great issue with the reasons being mention in the spoilers. :D

11. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I do quite like fried calamari. However, last night had baby back ribs. :p

--Adm. Nick

12. Vrook_Lamar

Vrook_Lamar Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2008
    Cannibal :p

13. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Heh heh heh. http://notrapshere.ytmnd.com/

Great issue. Omar Francia is fantastic, and the story itself packed a great punch. The underwater combat was awesome, and with it being so rare in SW, it had the chance to introduce really cool new things like the inkbomb, the sea troopers, and the Mon Cal Rangers. Treis Sinde kicked a lot of arse in this issue, and it was great to see him really sticking to the Imperial Knight ideals. "Nice to know not everyone has forgotten us!" = :D And like Imperial Knights often do, he cut through those seatroopers like it was nobody's business. He seems like Ganner Krieg in a lot of ways --- no problem with killing (as has been the case with every Imperial Knight we've seen (different take on the light side than the Jedi!)), but feels guilty about killing other Imperials, even if they follow the Usurper. The scene with him questioning his killing of people he had once served with was very well-written, and it's really good to see this storyline involve a conflict between Sinde and his Mon Cal allies (Mon Callies?), which makes it far more interesting than everyone being on the same page would be.

Sinde showed his awesomeness a lot in this issue. "I do not lead. I only advise." His honor really shone when he revealed that he continued to fight despite knowing that they couldn't possibly drive the Sith off-planet. "We're fighting for time."

Good call. I can definitely see this arc ending with Sinde being ordered back to Bastion, and reluctantly abandoning the fight. He was a very interestingly deeply-conflicted character in this issue, and I find myself loving him even more (and not just because he's an Imperial Knight. :) Though that is really all the criteria one needs [face_peace]).

I really have to say... I love love love Legacy's tendency to use random, underused species. We got a Givvin and a Sluissi in this issue. Wow. And it's also great to see Darth Azard again --- will he and Sinde have another confrontation? [face_thinking]

So, yeah. Awesome issue. I can't help but feel that at the end of this arc, the Mon Cal will still be slaves, and will still be being genocided... and may be without Treis Sinde's help. [face_worried] Man, having this happen to such a prominent species is a very bold move by an authorial team, and even though it first happened a year ago, I still want to applaud it. =D= This is great storytelling.

Also, awesome to see that concept art in the back! Felt like Broken. Would love to continue to see that in Legacy.

Legacy continues to cement its status as the current flagship of Star Wars on a monthly basis. The side stories it produces are about awesome characters like Treis Sinde, while the side stories that The Clone Wars produces are about... Jar Jar Binks, doing all of his annoying things from Episode I. ... Yeah. I think we have a winner.

14. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    There are those Cade-centric arcs like Broken and Claws of the Dragon and there are these great peripheral "Meanwhile on..." type issues found in trades like Shards and Alliance that richly fill in this era. This was the latter.

Great, poignant issue! Really really strong art. I'm a sucker for that old Sith magic so I loved the Leviathan. I'm just finding the IK's infinitely more interesting than the Jedi of this era. Much more inner conflict. And it's clear why. Duty is a real sticking point for these guys. And duty to a man in hiding has got to be troubling at the best of times. Sinde is an interesting guy. Seems like one IK Cade would like or vice versa.

15. tc_cruizer

tc_cruizer Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2005
    If there's one thing I didn't like about this issue, it would be the over-thematic naming -- "base sea lion", "shark squadron", "fishhead colony". OK already, we get the point that the issue takes place underwater. When I had read the line "Awright, you Seamonkeys, you know the drill! Hit the water...", I couldn't tell if it was a joke, or a sad new name for a trooper squad.

That's just me nit-picking though. All in all, I thought the issue was great, complimented Omar Francia's awesome art-style!

16. Vrook_Lamar

Vrook_Lamar Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2008
    Maybe Jon was trying to trick the reader into hearing the voices of the characters from Jaws as they read the lines.

17. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Well, "Sea Lion" and "Shark" are the names of the base and squadron, but "fishhead" is just the Imperial nickname for the Mon Cals.

Good issue. The Mon Cal running plot is probably one of favorite ongoing things in canon; like the non-Cade issues in general, it really feels like it's doing something new in the universe. That sounds kinda like a backhanded insult, so to clarify: I don't dislike the Cade issues in general (though the Hidden Temple arc did bore the hell out of me), but except for the "living up to my Skywalker name" idea (which, not coincidentally, is the part of that character arc that most interests me), they really feel like they could be set any time. The wider galaxy issues, on the other hand, are taking full advantage of their setting; the universe itself feels like it's developing there, not just a set of a couple characters. And it feels like we're exploring more interesting angles here; Sinde's conflict between helping the Mon Cals and ultimately being loyal to Fel, and his harsh-yet-pragmatic attitude about the whole fight just seem more interesting than "will Cade fall to the dark side" or "can Krayt heal himself" (er, before the lightning :p).

As to speculation, I agree that Sinde's going to be called back and have to decide what he's going to do. The title "Fight Another Day" says a lot, I think.

18. KNJO

KNJO Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2004
    The preview of the next issue is up now, you have got to see it. I honestly do not know what our 'Dirty Harry' [face_skull] IK will do.

As to Legacy #32, it is a sweet issue offering us a rare glimpse of aquatic warfare in the SW universe. I loved the Acklay base, the Stormtroopers updated sea armor and I really loved the Mon Cal ranger craft, especially on how many weapons it has for its size, and its design.

I wonder if those Ranger craft, Krakana Units, can work in the air or space? The possibilities if they can are immense, and didn't anyone else see the Rangers putting claws on the weapon arms for melee combat:D . Also speaking of weapons I would love to see Ackbar's FIDO (Not seen since JAT) platform making a huge comback protecting the refugee refugees, mabye even helping to actively take back the cities while the Rangers and other forces moved to more vital strategic targets[face_praying].

By the way is it just me or do the Krakana Units resemble the Basilisk War Droids used by the ancient Mandalorians?

My personal favorites though was the philosophical debates between Sinde and Alsek and the Mon Cal commander Tanquar. I want to feel sorry for Sinde but reading his and Alsek's debate only shows me just how empty the Empire is regardless of who leads. There is no substance, personal intergrity or free will inside the Empire and its world view, and that is clearly seen when Alsek confronted Sinde.

One line that foreshadows the next issue, if you have read the preview like I have, is when Tanquar askes Sinde if the Emperor will betray or abandon them if ordered: Sinde does not answer, he side steps the question saying HE will never choose to turn against them. He does not say what will happen IF ORDERED.

19. EmperorPL

EmperorPL Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2008
    I will be very grafteful if someone confirm that those Sharks and Imperial (At-At) transport can be used on the surface (because those are repulsorocrafts for sure).

20. AdmirableAckbar

AdmirableAckbar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2008
    I agree with this exactly. The non-main cast stuff is brilliant (Indomitable's the only reason I started reading Legacy in the first place) and the rest is okay, but just not as interesting.

I liked the use of Givin and Sluissi. The story and art were great - I love the close-up of the Givin.

21. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008

Nice too know that not all new sith are darths.

22. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    There is no confirmation as to whether these craft can be used on the surface. However, one could argue that if the Empire uses underwater AT-AT's on Dac that they have a walker variant that they use on terrestrial worlds. The Shark-class fighters may be solely underwater as well.

I have to echo the comments that the variety of aliens in this issue was fantastic. I have always been a fan of the Sluissi, so it was awesome to see one. I also really liked that the Given scientist is a Sith. Really ties in with Jor Tolin well, showing that there are non lightsaber wielding Sith.

--Adm. Nick

23. goraq

May 15, 2008
    ,,Really ties in with Jor Tolin well, showing that there are non lightsaber wielding Sith. ,,

Do we know for sure that he doesent have a lightsaber?

24. Emperor_Time

Emperor_Time Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2007
    I don't think we will ever know since he died by Morrigan's hand in his only appearance.

25. goraq

May 15, 2008

Sorry,i was thinking about the Givin guy in the last issue.Does he has a lightsaber?
    i supose we dont know yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.