main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #43 "Vongspawn" | Monster, part 1 (of 4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Or former Sith? [face_thinking]

*chuckle* Yeah. :p

Am I alone in finding it strange that people are happy for Cordellixte to belittle Veed in every scene they share, but the moment he reminds her he has a spine...? [face_thinking]

:p

Still not sure what's happening here, partially because my instincts tend to twitch in opposite ways than I suspect the series expects... :oops: [face_frustrated]

- The Imperial Ewok

2. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005
    Bah, in my mind there is a difference between being a decent guy/girl/thing and a law abiding guy/girl/thing. You can be decent and not be law abiding....you can be a piece of garbage and be law abiding. Actually, with Jool dealing mostly in information she probably is more or less legit.

Cordellixte belittles Veed...I wouldn't say it is even at the point of being verbally abusive. Grabbing your "Partner's" throat and shoving her against a wall is on a whole different level. Besides....he HAS to realize that he needs her brains operating in the background in order to succeed....unless he is dumber than I thought.

Carnage

3. IllogicalRogue2

IllogicalRogue2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 28, 2003
    Or he sees an end of who she is...I have a feeling she's about to become something worse then Krayt in terms of story plot.

4. ThisIsMadness91

ThisIsMadness91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 19, 2009
    Careful, Jan. There's bound to be someone out there who thinks all this talk of Treis having the hots for Azlyn is canon!

5. Magnuskn

Magnuskn Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    No, I think she is pretty safe. The scenes on Tatooine with the Imperial Missionary seemed to set up a character arc with her being discontent with her life as a pirate, i.e. striving for something better. Killing her now would leave that hanging, so I think she is safe enough. I am worried much more about Syn, who I like quite a lot. I`d hate to lose him.

6. IllogicalRogue2

Oct 28, 2003
    Oh no you misunderstand- I in no way see her dying- I see her being transformed into a new villain. The Vong terraforming stuff will do something to her IMO.

7. Magnuskn

Jul 14, 2002
    Nothing Cade can't cure, I bet. See the early issues of Legacy, when Maladi purposely infected Blue and Syn.

8. IllogicalRogue2

Oct 28, 2003
    Yeah! But this time the whole planet will be aiding the new her. He'd have to touch her; then have her let him touch her long enough to do his thing.... might not be so easy while dealing with the shock of her transformation and sudden hate/ anger at him.

I saw the scene where he's on the death sticks as he was having visions of her being destroyed (being replaced by the vongforming) hence he was trying to push her away. But it's all part of the fun what will they do!

9. Caled_Ors

Caled_Ors Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2009
    Good stuff!

I thought the flashback was a good start, with a smooth transition into the now, we got to see the noble intentions of the project and the horror of it's failure. It was good to see the Myneyrshi and the change to their world.

Ahh! Another relationship theory - always good fun! I don't know if holding hands is definite signs of a relationship, could just be an emotional moment. Then again it's possible I s'pose, working together, late night shaping sessions who knows?

Zeltros was great fun, Jool is a great character and she's right Zeltros is the ultimate place to set up shop. Woulda been nice to see Blue connect to her past, but there was a lot crammed into this issue and to ask for more would be just rude!

The new IK was interesting with a brief, but good back story. I'm not too keen on Rae's armour though - too similar to standard IK stuff in appearance. I think it's good she's got her face free but I'm not convinced with just an extra bit of piping on her neck.

Seemed to be confirmation that Kol knew about Corde's alter ego, as implied in Tatooine, good to see more of them.

And some new ships, always good. The Jedi exploration shuttle was a nifty design with dual sets of foldy-wings. And Wolf had a cool looking ship too, is it s'posed to be flown that way up? Probably is, but these assymetrical designs muddle me sometimes - I still haven't gotten my head around the Fury!!

This is clearly a set up for the rest of the arc, but it's still held it's own with great detail and story

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I FINALLY got my copy of this issue. [face_dancing]

Boy oh boy, what an issue! Easily the best Cade-centric issue in the past 12 months. I am a big Kol Skywalker fan, so seeing him, Wolf, Shado, and Cade on Wayland prior to the Sith-Imperial War was to awesome for words. Jan Duursema's art is beautiful as always, plus I love how the colorist switched from bright, vivid colors to a red, evil set of shades. It really provided a nice contrast visually for Wayland.

Master Sazen looks great with his new arm. John Ostrander is the master of tying his plotlines together, which is evidenced by the scence where Wolf and Shado discuss the events of Legacy #42 and the new alliance between the Jedi Order and the Galactic Alliance Remnant. The issue definately hints that a big GA/Fel/Jedi offensive is in the works, though this events of the next few issues will undoubtedly affect that.

The Coruscant scences continue to be amongst my favorites. I get a sense that Operation: Thunderstroke may turn out in the Sith-Imperials favor. In fact, the Sith have been in need of a victory for some time now.

All eyes now turn to Agamar and Wayland. I have a feeling that some serious things are about to go down... [face_thinking]

--Adm. Nick

11. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Well, I thought the issue a pretty good "all around" issue. It had a little of everything. Well, no Sith. Not yet anyway. I'm excited about the whole Ossus thing.

I loved the encounter with Veed and Calixte. Now Veed really is a tool.8-}

I was most happy to see Azyln. I think I stated this before somewhere. I really liked her character. Nice to get her out of the scuba gear and with her feet firmly planted with the IKs.

However I'm still having some big issues with Cade. Actually, I think it's now that Cade is really getting to me. I feel I'm enjoying Legacy around him. He's walnuts in a really good coffeecake. At issue #43 he's still hittin' the sticks? Blue is still wondering what's up with him? Now, she wants to know?o_O

I'm devoted to this comic. I'll stick with Legacy through thick and thin because I love so many things not-Skywalker in it. The art is to die for and the supporting cast is stellar. But Cade's bringing me down at this point. He's still stuck. Even after the thing with Luke he's still stuck in the same place. And he'll stay stuck in issue #44 as well. Is it fair to ask, is he the hero in this thing? The man is a planetoid of himself.

12. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Loved the historical opening on Wayland with Kol and company. Nice look at the Vongforming.

Wolf getting a new arm and growing a spine was also nice.

The hedonism of Queen Jool's Playland on Zeltron struck me as very unneeded.

I liked the scene with Veed and Calixte a great deal, though it leaves me thinking that Veed isn't long for the universe.

We have a new Imperial Knight, if it was the intention or not. Honestly I can't find fault with the colorist. Unless it was relayed that that was suppost to be Sinde, well that fellow has very few similarities Sinde even if he had the right color skin, hair, nose and whatnot. I think the mark was just missed enough on him even if he had the right colors I'd still be questioning if it was Sinde.

Of course Jan captured every other character perfectly so one character in one panel is very minor.:)

As for the advancement of Azlyn's arc, its not my favorite thing as I really thought she was more of a monster now instead of female Imperial Knight number seven. Do we see every Imperial Knight except Marasiah there?(I believe that Dare is beside the off-Sinde)

Chalk didn't do much for me either, or his Vader cosplay for that matter. He strikes me at this point as a very unneeded character. I do assume he has a cool helmet though:p

Kol meeting Nyna was cool, I guess that scene is actually the first time Kol learned the truth about her?

And lastly Cade falls off the wagon again. Not much I can say here. I think I like where this is going, but I've thought that before.

13. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    I have to disagree with that. On behalf of the beefcake demographic if for no other reason. But for neks sake, her attitude is so very traditional for Hutts!

OMG I am practically zombified by all the goodies this issue. They have already been listed by one post or another before I got here but, OMG [face_dancing]

14. Magnuskn

Jul 14, 2002
    Uh, why? This is Zeltros, y'know. I actually am very happy to have gotten even this limited look at the planet.

15. DragonMaster_85

DragonMaster_85 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 7, 2007
    I felt the hedonism scene worked perfectly with the respective character's (Cade, Syn, Blue, Jool, and Rav) personalities. For Cade, Syn, and Blue, it sort of gave a "were, are, and probaly always will be bad" feel, despite recent almost-turn arounds.

I also like the death sticks scene. I took it as, with all the Wayland stuff, Cade uses them as a crutch, and it's more sad/pathetic than bad.

The backstory was great, seeing the before and after of the Ossus Project. The Nyna/Kol bit was also interesting.

Good to see Wolf finally get pro-active. Knowing from the cover of #45 that Maladi looks to be the villain here, I'd love to see, at some point, Wolf end up on Wayland, and confront her with Cade, as justice for Kol. Also a good redeeming point for Cade.

The Nyna/Veed part was my favorite. Now that he's basically co-ruler of the Empire, Veed shows how much of a creep he really is. I agree that, after this, his days are probably numbered, but I still want to see this played out for a while. Have Veed do something, or at least order something, that makes him a legit bad guy for at least an issue or two.

Finally, I didn't really care for the IK part. One, it's the only group in Legacy that, IMO, is too big. Two, the Vader suit thing was a tad weird.

16. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    It struck me as a brothel. Maybe that wasn't the intent, but thats how it came across to me. Ontop of that we have Deliah apparently cool with Cade running around with every nearly naked chick in the brothel, then trying to snuggle up to him again later in the death stick scene.

Is it at all out of character for Cade and Co.? Nope, I just could have done without seeing it.

17. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    This is Zeltros we're talking about. The whole planet is like that, and for the Zeltrons it's all normal. That's just their natural lifestyle.

18. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Cade is a Zeltron?

Lets just leave it by saying that I didn't like it, that I don't find the subject matter of interest to me.

I said "unneeded" not inaccurate. I'm not arguing that Zeltros or Zeltron or whatever isn't like that, just that I didn't enjoy the scene, much in the same way I don't enjoy Cade in general.

19. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

I don't know if this has been asked before, but was one of Rav's thug's a Morgukai? He sure looked like Bok from the "Republic". There were clones but I believe the last issue of the Selecami arc had a statement something to the effect of "In the room next to the one where Secura and the last true Morgaukai do battle". How can there be a Morgukai in Legacy if this is the case?

20. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    The Morgukai is more a school of thought and teaching than a race--though only Kajain'sa'Nikto were allowed to be Morgukai.

The last known Morgukai-a former Morgukai turned Jedi) was killed by Vader. Tsyr and his son, Bok, considered themselves the last 'true' Morgukai--and did not even consider the Jedi Ma'kis'shaalas to be true Morgukai after he joined the Jedi. (There's a story in there... :p) Tsyr was strict in his definition of Morgukai. That does not mean there were not other clans of Morgukai in the Galaxy or that other Nikto would not later take up the traditions of the Morgukai teachings.

21. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    If Wolf finds Cade by the end of the arc, I wonder if he'll be a part of helping them off of Wayland. That'll be interesting to see the old master and apprentice encounter for the first time since the Hidden Temple arc.

Yes, like all drug addicts he's putting the ladies safety first.:rolleyes: [/quote]

Thinking about it now, I'm actually not that against his continuing relationship with death sticks. Like a real drug addiction, he's not kicking it just by saying he's going to kick it. He keeps relapsing and that's actually somewhat realistic. Some keep talking about if and when Cade might turn things around, if this issue or that issue or the other arc are it. Maybe Tatooine and his latest spirit walk with Luke was the beginning. But even if it is, that's only what it is. The beginning. If he comes back from the brink it's going to be a long journey and there are going to be a lot of bumps in the road.

After seeing the preview for the next issue, I'm not sure optimism is really on the menu.

22. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Thinking about it now, I'm actually not that against his continuing relationship with death sticks. Like a real drug addiction, he's not kicking it just by saying he's going to kick it. He keeps relapsing and that's actually somewhat realistic. Some keep talking about if and when Cade might turn things around, if this issue or that issue or the other arc are it. Maybe Tatooine and his latest spirit walk with Luke was the beginning. But even if it is, that's only what it is. The beginning. If he comes back from the brink it's going to be a long journey and there are going to be a lot of bumps in the road. [/quote]

Well, I suppose I, like those who care for drug addicts am hoping he hits his rock bottom soon. Course those often have trap doors. His death stick thing is exactly like a real drug addiction. And I suppose I've had too many drug addicts in my family cause I'm getting as angry at Cade as I have members of my family. So, I may be taking this fiction a bit more personally than I expected.

23. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Finally got around to reading this despite having it sitting on my desk since it came out. Legacy just hasn't been grabbing me lately, and with KOTOR coming to its end I've been far more invested in that. But. And it is a big but. Having now read this, I've just been reminded why I fell in love with Legacy in the first place. This had all the stuff that I liked about the earlier arcs.

I'm sure enough has already been said about the Kol-Nei hand holding, the Nyna-Veed bust up (and it may just be me, but Veed strikes me as having been rather Sithwhipped), the Vadery-looking armoursmith guy (who is cool), and so on. What really grabbed me above all of that though was the suggestion that Wayland is critical to Cade's future, that everything that happened there happened for a reason, that whatever Kol said when he met Nyna that time was important (Cade was already born, so it wasn't for that), and that Cade's return to Wayland is important enough to pull Wolf away from the imminent new galactic alliance to stop the Sith Empire.

Now, it could just be that if Wolf doesn't go Cade would die, but... that seems too everyday for me.

So, what really got my eyes popping during this? Well, it wasn't so much this issue, it was thinking back to when Cade was told that if he let go of his anger he would learn to use his powers without needing to tap into the dark side. And what was the whole point of the first half of the series? Using his power to undo the coralseed disease afflicting Darth Krayt. With Krayt's death, that became one big side quest with no real pay off. But there is now an opportunity for pay off. BIG pay off. Wayland-sized pay off.

Of course, as Kol warned, Cade's power can also be used to break as well...

Which leaves me to interpret #4's blurb of "It's a turning point for Cade Skywalker and the entire Legacy story line!" as meaning either this is the point he categorically falls, taking his revenge on Maladi for what she did, killing all life on Wayland in the process as some dark act of "mercy". Or else this is where things finally change, with him healing Wayland, and putting his demons to rest once and for all by undoing the Sith curse that has haunted his dreams ever since then, the one that made Kol's life appear as if he'd completely thrown it away.

I can also feel a Sith counterstrike coming after the Fate of Dac though. Legacy doesn't do lots of good stuff all at once, so if Cade does at long kriffing last get over his past, I can feel Wyyrlok twisting the knife and manipulating his new little puppet emperor to do something beyond just poisoning one planet, forcing Nyna into exile, yadda, yadda. It's been a fairly decent sized break now since we saw Wyyrlok mentioning moving into the next stage of the Sith master plan. Cue Imperial Mission conversion, perhaps? In essence, I want to see Wyyrlok do something that makes Order 66 look weak. To hell with killing all Jedi, kill everyone that isn't [born?] Sith. :p

It'd be rather typical of Cade's life if he goes back with Wolf to the Hidden Temple, announces that he's back to finish his training... only for them to condemn him that they told him not to kill Krayt and that now the schutta has truly hit the fan with Wyyrlok going into overkill, and revealing himself as far, far worse. Cade'd have finally snapped out of it... only to discover it's now too late, much too late.

...cue some ubersecret Kol-Morri undercover infiltration master plan that had prepared for this? :p

I would really like Cade to be given a reason to see why Wyyrlok is the one he should have gone after, not Krayt. I'd very much enjoy a revelation, either from Maladi in her final words, or Morrigan, that somehow points out that the Wyyrloks have been running the show all along, that Krayt was only ever a figurehead who Wyyrlok was now ever so grateful for Cade having removed.

Admittedly, the revelation I find more likely from Maladi is more along the lines of "Your mother caused all this. She contacted us."

Which act

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.