main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #5: Broken, part 4 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wild_karrde, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    At the time Sidious had told Vader that, Dooku had already raided the Temple's holocrons years previous.

2. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    This Lorian Nod was a childhood friend of Count Dooku and he accessed
    a Sith holocron in either 89 BBY or 88 BBY. Got thrown out of the Jedi
    Order because of it. In the same novel, Count Dooku himself accesses a
    Sith holocron in the Jedi temple 13 years later, 76 or 75 BBY.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I never liked that line.

In any case, I think Sith Holocrons are no more mystical than Jedi.

In other words, very mystical and very powerful.

4. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Or perhaps it differs based on the user, not necessarily the maker. If you were Darth Bane's holocron, imagine you had to give information to one of these two candidates:

Candidate #1: Hi there, Mr. Holocron. Look, I'm an inexperienced, naive Jedi Padawan who got stuck under this falling rubble and now I can't get out. I've tried all the tricks my Jedi masters taught me, but nothing's working. I'm afraid I'm gonna die down here, but I wanna live. Is there anything you can do for me? I know I'm not s'pose'ta use the Dark Side, but I don't see any other options, well?

or

Candidate #2: Hello, Lord Bane. You may remember me. I'm the diseased old Sith Lord with no legitimate claim to the title of DLOTS, but you see, this Vong disease is really bothering me as of late. You got any tips? Keep in mind that I pretty much spat and defecated all over your designs for how the Sith should be maintained. Come on, I don't have all day.

Well, who would you be more inclined to answer to?

5. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    If I recall correctly, real Sith HOlocrons are powerful enough to basically make an untrained force user dark just by being near it...or something

They remind me a lot of "The One Ring" [face_mischief]

6. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    A reminder though.

Legitimacy is something thats' alien to the wielder of the Sith Lord title.

Krayt conquered the galaxy and destroyed the jedi. That's enough for me.

7. TheEmpireStrikes

TheEmpireStrikes Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2004
    I have a theory - the backstory of Andeddu may well be covered in the upcoming Darth Plagueis novel. After all, if Plagueis was seeking a way to prevent death, he would surely know of his predecessor for whom death was not the end? I personally like to think Andeddu was the master of Plagueis, but it is unlikely to come about thus.

8. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    I would guess that even most Sith Lords would probably be rather
    wary of following the example of Darth Andeddu. That kind of
    immortality probably was not the goal of Darth Plagueis... Being
    an undead, rotting corpse possessed by your own spirit and all.
    Perhaps Plagueis would have seen Andeddu more as an example of
    what he did not want to accomplish - and if he would have known
    the secret of that kind of immortality, he certainly seem not to
    have come back from death to visit his apprentice after he had
    killed him.

Interesting that the holocron of Andeddu was made after he
    already had become undead if what we saw was the gatekeeper.
    And his Sith name would imply the same - of course, it could
    be the result of a vision that he or his Sith Master saw when
    he took the title of Darth.

9. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Or, as I've contended many times before, Sith names do not carry the same meaning in-universe as they do OOU. Otherwise in ESB, it might have gone something like this:

Vader: Obi-Wan never told you about your father.
    Luke: He told me enough. He told me you killed him.
    Vader: No, I am your father.
    Luke: Oh, I get it! Vader sounds like Father. It was all a big hint that Sidious was dropping 20 years ago before mom gave birth to me. It all makes so much sense. Too bad I didn't piece that together sooner, eh? We coulda ruled the Galaxy as father and sone or something.

10. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    I think that ROTS pretty well shows that Vader comes from Invader.
    As Anakin invades the Jedi Temple almost directly after he gets the
    name of Darth Vader - a mission that Darth Sidious certainly had
    already planned out when he gave this name to his new apprentice.
    At least this way the name makes more sense.

11. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Though, as Krayt sees him, it's likely Plagueis thought of him as a step in the right direction. It's not what Plagueis wanted, but it was similar, and so it was likely useful to study the work of Sith lords like Andeddu, Nihilus, and Sion, who found their own ways to "cheat death," though we know from Palpatine that these Sith Lords never really cheated death, In fact, it seems that Andeddu and Nihilus died, but found a loophole. Palpatine's transference of his essence from clone to clone was another way to "cheat death."
    Wow. I never know there were people that thought otherwise. Whatever the meaning of the Sith names to those IU, the symbolism is for us, OOU.

12. Mark686

Mark686 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 30, 2001
    I apologise if this has been clarified before...but can someone please tell me what the hell is going on here? As far as i can tell part 4 and 5 are the same cover and plot summary, and ive read a review for Part 7 of 6. Who at Dark Horse missed second grade?

13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Broken is a 6-part arc, but there was one issue that was an "interlude,' and not part of the Broken storyline. Therefore Issue #7 is Part 6 of 6.

Confusing enough? [face_monkey]

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    My take has always been that the original Sith spoke Basic, so their Sith titles that sound so strange and mysterious to the Sith people are words taken from Basic.

;-)

15. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Mark: There's a preview up for issue #5 on the Dark Horse Website.

16. Mark686

Mark686 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 30, 2001
    Ahhhh. Thank you. So which episode was the interlude?

17. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    Issue #4 is the interlude. Issues #1-3 are the beginning of the main story, #4 goes in a separate tangent to tell its own story, then #5-7 continues where #3 left off.

18. ShaunStarshooter

ShaunStarshooter Jedi Master

Jul 17, 2006
    Is the issue coming out tomorrow like listed at darkhorse.com? Boy, I sure hope so!

19. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    Yeah, it's on the Diamond list so it will be out tomorrow.

20. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Yay!

Now I just wish a copy of KotOR #7 would materialize on the shelf of one of my local comic shops. It's driving me crazy not to be able to go on, but I don't have enough to justify ordering it.

-Paul

21. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    So does it say if those are spirits on Korriban or just holograms?

22. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Wow, this is out already? :eek:

23. Lightsnake

Lightsnake Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Who has it? Summary?

24. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    After Krayt transforms, we cut back to the Mynock crew and their two passengers. Cade, Jariah, and Deliah are shooting towards this unseen thing that's later revealed to be an acklay.

They're trapped by the creature at the meeting place, and are then bailed out (after Cade expresses doubt that the "missionary brother" of Astraal is going to show up. The creature scoops Astraal up from her hiding place, but she is then saved by the two Jedi.

Deliah suggests going after them, but Jariah--seeing that the odds are firmly stacked against them--questions her sanity (and sobriety).

With the beast dead, Marasiah reveals that she knew of Cade's attempt to betray them but offers them the money anyway. It is then that Darth Talon makes her presence known by blowing up the ship that Wolf and Shado arrived on. It isn't long after that that she attacks the group, using the dark side to lead some smaller native predators on the group to help her as she attacks. Somewhere along the line, Talon uses the Force to disarm the three bounty hunters.

She eventually begins to fry Wolf with some lightning, but Marasiah saves the day by blocking the majority of it with her blue lightsaber. Talon mocks the Princess, stating that she isn't even a knight and that Talon had murdered her Master. Talon quits playing possum and throws Sia across the area with the Force and resumes the lightning attack on Wolf.

Wolf orders Cade to take the women to his ship and save them, but Cade--remembering Ossus--Force pushes Talon off of her feet and into an ancient wrecked ship, allowing the group to escape.

They return to the ship to find that it has been sabotaged by Talon, but not destroyed. Shado volunteers to go out and hunt for Talon, but Wolf restrains him, reminding him that it would be better to stay at the ship with the others, safety in numbers.

Inside of the ship, Astraal begins to contact Moff Rus (center guy on the cover), but is interrupted by Shado. They debate about Astraal's decision to join the Mission rather than following the path of the Jedi.

Astraal makes contact with Moff Rus and briefs him on the situation. Rus comments that the Princess will only be safe with her father and that they should remain on Vendaxa until he contacts them again.

Rus then turns off the holoprojector and reports all of this to Krayt, who has returned to human form. He states that it is his duty to serve the Emperor, not the Empire, and that he must make accommodations.

Krayt then reveals that he is going to send Darth Nihl and other Sith to Vendaxa to strengthen the Sith presence. Rus states that he will attempt to get Roan Fel to go to the planet to rescue his daughter....

25. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I have it.

After the preview, the Mynock has landed on Vendaxa, at the sight of an old shipwreck where Astraal and Shado were apparently orphaned. They're under attack by an Acklay. They complain that Astraal's brother is a no-show - they don't know he's a Jedi (apparently not even Cade).

Astraal nearly gets speared, but Shado and Wolf show up and start slice'n'dicing. Cade's compatriots aren't happy, and Deliah thinks they can take them. Syn doesn't. Siblings re-unite. Marasiah is about to leave with them, but stiffs them on the payment, saying she knew they were going to betray her. She'll arrange for the payment to happen...later, once they're well gone. She's really snarky here.

Cade tells them to cut his losses. He's trying not to be recognized. Syn calls him Cade and asks him if he's really going to let them rip him off like that.

Wolf: Cade?

Cade: That's right. Cade. Problem?

Wolf: No.

Wolf tries to leave with the Princess. His ship blows up.

Deliah and Syn immediately become really really snarky about offering the princess a ride. Double the price.

Everybody in the know senses Talon about this point. She shows up, followed by a bunch of random critters. She fights Wolf and Shado, using Force lightning. Wolf nearly buys it, but Sia jumps in with her lightsaber and gets her butt kicked.

Talon pwns her.

Wolf tells Cade to take the Princess and run. Cade makes a stand with blasters. Talon disarms the three with the Force.

Then Cade throws the whole old shipwreck at her. Yeah. The entire thing. She didn't expect -that- and is out of play for a little while.

They fix the ship. Astraal calls her superior, Moff Rus, secretly. Shado catches her at it, she explains she trusts him.

Astraal and the Moff talk. She tells him everything. He says he must get word to the rightful Emperor. She promises to remain on Vendaxa until he or the rightful Emperor contact her.

We switch to Rus in the Imperial Palace.

Rus: I hope this pleases you, My Lord

Krayt says it does, praises Rus's adaptability, having thought the mission was useless when he first took power. He's sending Nihl and others to corner them, and hopefully either catch Fel or torture his location out of Sia.

Rus says one must change with the times, and the Mission is always at the service of the Emperor, and that he himself lives to serve...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.