main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #5: Broken, part 4 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wild_karrde, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    **** yeah!

2. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    This was an AMAZING issue. And it is setting up for an epic climax to the first story arc.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Legacy 5# review

*WARNING, SPOILERS AHEAD SO DON'T COMPLAIN IF YOU READ THE BOOK AND ARE SPOILED*

This is probably the first of the Legacy comics that I think actually feels like STAR WARS except for Issue 1#. There have been bits of brilliance in other works (the Shado and Wolf versus a dozen Sith fight and the classic Luke meets Cade moment that will go down in the EU as one of the best written scenes in the entirety) but this is one never misses a beat.

What works for the issue can be summarized as the developing character dynamics. Pushing Cade's shameful and barbaric act of turning a Jedi over to the authorities (BOO! *HISS*!) The storyline has a wonderful relationship established with Marasiah trying to cheat the smugglers while acting all prim and proper only to have the smugglers turn it back on her. Mara's attempt to show off also backfires only to have Cade show her up again.

I loved her wide eyed look too.

It's a delightful dynamic between the two. Though I am surprised that Cade showed off the full scope of his force powers. Nevertheless, I'm actually quite disappointed that Talon didn't snuff it here and now. I love Jon and Jan to death but they have GOT to start killing off their female villains. Ventress, Aurra Sing, and now Talon have this insipid habit of survival. Hitting her with a corvette would have been the perfect way to off her.
    *sigh*

What also surprises me is the fact that Jan and Jon not only had Darth Bane call Krayt a pretender but also Darth Annedu. That implies that the Old Sith think there's something wrong with Krayt's management style. I wonder why this is, or if they're just trying to cheeze him off as Sith Lords do. He certainly SEEMS evil enough. He defeated the Jedi (I don't think anyone else at that meeting has the distinction except Nihilus) and he rules the galaxy.

Krayt should tell those old timers off.

9/10

4. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    I liked this issue. The opening scene with Krayt and the other Sith is amazing. Unfortunately, despite the whole thing with the Jedi meeting up with Cade's party, not much actually happens in this issue, and it felt really short. Though I imagine the two next issues are going to be amazing.

5. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Damn good issue. I loved the parts with the old sith lords. I thought Bane looked really good. I also like that the jedi are back together. I'm interested in seeing how this all plays out.

6. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    spoilers

i loved just about every part of this issue. loved it when Cade showed his bad ass jedi side, loved it when the princess busted out her saber(too bad she didnt fare so well). Interesting too that Astraal said something about the jedi to the Moff(loved his traitorish...uh traitorness) but said nothing about Cade. should be interesting next time sith try anything w/ Cade & Co.

7. ZombieProblems

ZombieProblems Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2004
    Great issue! Beautiful artwork! (Although I'm bummed that DARTH KRAYT does not appear to be a WereKrayt, but a victim of some kinda Vong armor hoobajoo...)

I did think it was a little strange that none of the characters remarked on Cade's use of Force powers, though. I would think that would cause quite a bit of shock, especially amongst Cade's immediate crew, no?

Anyways, I suppose theres plenty of time for that next issue...

8. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I was kind of disappointed in that as well. Although, I'm pretty sure that they were more worried about saving their own skins and then getting the ship repaired rather than reacting to Cade being a Jedi.

My interpretation, though.

9. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    The issue was insane. But a good kind of insane to paraphrase Jariah "I eat bugs" Syn.

I loved the Korriban scene at the beginning with Nihilus and the other Sith. Bane especially looked cool to me, though I can understand his being ticked off at Krayt. "Rule of two I said. Not two-@#!$%ing-hundred, TWO!"

All the scenes on Vendaxa were eyecatching in the best possible way. The panoramic shots, the fight with the Acklay (and man, was that thing ever huge!) the Jedi fighting Darth Talon, Marasiah Fel leaping to Sazen's rescue, Cade whuping a$$. Awesome all around. The small details count too though, especially the look on Sia's face after Cade uses TK to knock Talon bass ackwards. I'm guessing that there are going to be repercussions all around when the next issue gets out.

Marasiah's anger over Vetter's death, though at the present being utilized for righteous fury may become a problem in the future. Personally I feel her anger is right, good and natural, but playing by the rules I'm guessing that Sazen may need to talk to her. Speaking of whom, it's good to see him in action once again, but why oh why does he not have a prothetic arm? Surely he has not Tenel Ka-like qualms about not losing it in combat? A Sith Lord chopped it off. A SITH LORD for Pete's sake!:_|

Being on the run from the Sith means a good prosthetics dealer may be hard to come by, but still...

Shado's scenes were all great, as were his interactions with Mission (whom I hereby dub as perkiest Twi'lek in the galaxy![face_peace]) but why doesn't have the double-bladed lightsaber he has on the cover? Did he leave it in his other robe or something. Small nitpick.

An all around great issue, perhaps my favorite since #3, but all the same it felt very short. And left me with a burning desire to buy the next issue. Good marketing or publishing conspiracy?

You decide. I'll just be re-reading the other issues until #6 comes out.

And beware of Moff's clad in off-white robes. No good can come of them.

10. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I like that. The kindly old man running the missionary department, who in 90% of fiction would be portrayed as a Fel loyalist, is an amoral self-centered traitor. Good to see.

11. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    The man's protecting his life's work-- I wouldn't go so far as to call it amoral or self-centered (at least, not until reading it in context). He certainly is a traitor, however, although so is Fel's great great great grand pappy. :p

I like what I hear, anyway. Looking forward to picking this one up.

12. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Protecting his life's work by selling out his own missionaries?

At any rate, it certainly doesn't seem to bother him. He's not a sweet old man but a cold pragmatist, at a minimum. Nice change of pace for such a grandfatherly character.

13. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Oh. Yeah, well, when you put it that way, it does seem a bit cold.

I agree, though, that's a great bucking of stereotypes. I never figured Rus for a cold pragmatist when I saw his dewey-eyed portrait in #0.

14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah. My first thought was "He looks nice. I bet he is a good guy." It is neat to see a character like this. New and exciting.

--Adm. Nick

15. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I kept smacking myself after reading it.

Yes, the dewey eyed portrayal had me fooled.

Then I remembered...Henry Gibson

Whose made a television career out of evil doers!

I also think that the character of Moff Konrad allows for some Palpatine like manipulations.

I do have one question though....WHERE IS THE STAR OF THE BOOK? Yes, MORLISH VEED!

;-)

16. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Brilliant, as usual. Jan, John, I must say that you are continually impressive. The arc of the story has been fantastic so far; the pacing brilliant - answering enough questions and bringing up enough new ones for the next issue to keep us both satisfied and annoyed in a good way - and of course, the art absolutely amazing on every level. I can quite honestly say that, as much as I'm enjoying LotF and KotOR right now, this is the number one part of my Star Wars experience. I appreciate that immensely. Keep keeping us on our toes, and keep keeping up the good work. [face_peace]

- Keralys

17. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    This issue was a treat. If there's one thing to say about Legacy so far, it's that it's unlike anything we've seen in the EU for a while --- a nonstop orgy of Jedi vs Sith. A delightful concept that could be ruined by poor execution, but has been anything but. Jon & Jan are doing an wonderful job so far at keeping the issues exciting, well-written, and action-packed.

The hands-down best part of the entire issue (save for perhaps the opening on Korriban) was Cade's "Like Ossus... like Ossus." As soon as Vao and Sazen appeared during the battle against the Acklay, my intrigue-o-meter was piqued even more. I hadn't expected Sazen's reunion with Cade to come so quickly, but the fact that it did failed to diminish the great execution. "Yeah, Cade. Problem?" "No." So nonchalant on Sazen's part. I can't wait to see how this will play out in Issue #6. Though it seemed like Sazen was ready to just abandon him ("Princess, Astraal, we'd better get going", despite several issues ago, vowing to find him. Odd...

Broken has simply been getting better and better. I can only hope that all of the arcs are this good. Look at Republic --- it didn't get really good for a while, did it? If Broken were anything like Prelude to Rebellion, we'd all probably be boycotting it. :)

18. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    Probably sitting on the floor of his bedroom, rocking back and forth with his thumb in his mouth, thinking, "But I want to be Emperor, but I want to be Emperor, but I want...." :p

What might be kind of interesting is if Veed actually plays a major role in the downfall of Krayt....

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Though it should be noted that Konrad looked less like Henry Gibson here than his uncanny similarity to him in #0 then again, that similarity worked for the character for me, since he's just so nice-guy-looking (and I only mostly remember Gibson from his roles in Switching Channels and on an episode of SG-1, both where he played nice guys).

Though it's entirely possible Konrad is actually betraying Krayt, and not Marasiah- he could simply be trying to lure Krayt's Sith into an ambush by Fel.

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Pfeh. I read the entirety of that scene with Rus and had an Admiral Ackbar moment...

Its a trap!

For Nihl and co....

Anyway, Sith spirits.

The Sith seem able to imbue their staffs, Holocrons, and of course bodies with there spirit, and they are limited to only what they imbued prior to death - or the Sith spirits would be intensely mobile.

Children count as extensions of your own body, assumedly. Cue Freedon Nadd popping around the galaxy because he visited Korriban, Yavin, and Onderon, and his body ended up on Dxun....

*mind-blank*

Him popping over to Teta.....maybe the Sith worlds allow Sith spirits more mobility?

[face_plain]

Freedon Nadd is a pain when it comes to Sith spirits. Or it could have been the amulets Keto was given...more than likely, thinking about it, Freedon Nadd used the amulet to keep track, probably imbueing all his artifacts so.

So, Nadd imbued items on Korriban, Dxun, Onderon, and Yavin, and his relics were transferred to people who in-turn wandered the galaxy. Nice way to be mobile.

Either way, the way to kill a Sith spirit is to

a) Break all the items they hold onto
    b) Kill the spirit itself

21. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I think the Fel probably has spies and electronic survalance equipment. I would think he know about a lot of the communication coming in and out of the empire. The mission doesn't seem to be an organisation that would have a lot of security features.

22. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    It's Rus and Fel are setting up a trap for the Sith.

That wouldn't surprise me. Two can play the double agent game.

23. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    I love it!

It's like The Fonz, but with less leather and more lightsaber.

24. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    It may have been just me, but I got the impression that Cade was using the Force conspicuously in this issue. It seemed to me that Talon was throwing the spaceship junk at Cade, and Cade merely redirected it back at her, appearing to merely duck to avoid the wreckage. He then retrieves his gun while no one's looking.

Of course, I could be way off.

John, if you're listening, you could shed some light on this scene?

25. princess_of_naboo

princess_of_naboo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2000
    Wait...

Does Wolf definitely realize that Cade is Cade Skywalker, or is he just suspicious because of the name slip?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.