main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Legacy #7: Broken, part 6 (of 6) - Glowing Luke on the cover!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vengance1003, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sikon

Sikon Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2006
    Why did anyone have to kill him? He may have died of old age.

Great news indeed, although I hope the ghosty Luke won't become the show-stealer.

2. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Please tell me he stays on the sidelines!

I don't mind if there's the occasional appearance at really crucial moments, and if there's something huge that is a part of ending the Broken arc, that might be an appropriate time to invoke the ghost Luke. But if he becomes a series regular and a major player, I think it's really going to mire the series in the past. Actually, to avoid authorial temptation, it might be best that after he accomplishes whatever he's meant to accomplish, he fades beyond reach as Obi-Wan did at the time of TTT.

-Paul

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    You know that was one of the worst mistakes of the entire TTT. Obi Wan being "beyond use."

4. Sikon

Mar 29, 2006
    And here, my students, we see a manifestation of the five stages of grief in Luke lovers.

Let's tell him: "Luke Skywalker is dead!"

Right now, the test subject is experiencing stage one: denial. We can hear him say: "NO! This is impossible! Luke can't be dead, because... well, because he's Luke! Surely this is just a nice twist and Luke is actually in hiding, preparing to collaborate with his great-great-grandson against the Sith!"

Let some time pass, and he'll move on to stage two: anger. You'll see him sending death threats to Legacy writers, promising that he'll blow up the Dark Horse and LucasArts headquarters if they don't resurrect him. He'll hang on TFN constantly, calling the writers names whenever he has the chance, and overall behaving like a jerk.

Then comes stage three: bargaining. Seeing that his actions do little good, he will propose retcons or other alterations to somehow ease his pain. For example, he will say that he'll accept Luke's death, but only if he sacrifices himself in a blaze of glory, saving the galaxy from the biggest threat it has ever faced, and if the ghost Luke becomes a main character in Legacy.

After that, he will succumb into stage four: despair. No longer will he bargain Luke's fate; he will sob, saying how Dark Horse ruined his childhood memories, and how much he misses Luke. He will write sad fanfics about Luke consumed by the thoughts of his imminent death and realize that his life was for nothing, and his legacy won't last.

Finally, he enters stage five: acceptance. Try to provoke him into tears by saying "Luke is dead", and he will only say "Yeah, I know... Whatever". He will forget about this incident, and the community will too; until, in time, a forum historian, or the test subject himself, will open one of the old threads and read it with a smile.

And overcoming your emotions, young ones, is what constitutes a major part of your Jedi training. Only when you learn not to overreact or lose your temper, to stay calm and focused whatever the odds are, will you have the right to be called Jedi Knights.

5. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    While I don't think it was absolutely necessary to take Obi-Wan out of play, I am quite sure that if TTT hadn't done that, he would in recent years (especially since the prequels were released) been popping up all over the place dispensing wisdom and advice. And that would have driven me crazy. I think it was for the best to put him beyond reach and let Luke begin to build things on his own, which is what I think may be a good idea to do with Luke. I'd only be interested in seeing repeated appearances of a ghost if something special were being done with it (like a mystery story) or if we were finally playing out the ramifications of the "Force netherworld" and all that that entails. Otherwise, minimizing the number of Force ghosts is an excellent idea, and it's usually dramatically much more interesting for characters not to feel they have this help from the past to count on. So I don't object to the Obi-Wan decision, and I would endorse the same course for Luke. I think the idea that it doesn't last forever and that the new generation must ultimately be left to themselves makes sense as part of the very nature of the thing, so I wouldn't mind and would probably find it appropriate if all Force ghosts inevitably faded after a certain amount of time or length/degree of interaction with the world of the living.

-Paul

6. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    What about us Luke fans who accepted his death from the moment we saw the cover?

7. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Well, as I'm sure McEwok will tell you, we technically can't disprove this idea.

8. killfire

killfire Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2001
    It definitely looks like a force ghost. Since force ghosts take the look of the person at the age he/she died (with the exception of Darth Vader :p ), it looks like Luke is going to go out soon.

Sacrifice

9. Darth_Immoral

Darth_Immoral Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2006
    Wow. Sounds like Legacy 7 is going to be a big moment.

I can't wait!...But I have to. Being English sucks. Not only do I have to wait until it's released; but then it will take TFAW 20 to 30 days to get it to me. >.>

10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It's sad.

McEwok gave up stupid theories nearly a year ago and his name is now forever associated with them.

;-)

11. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Have you all lost your infra sensors? This precious Luke lived a hundred years ago. What were you expecting? Mourning him and sentiments of denial look ridiculous. It's not like you've seen his actual demise . . .

The key issue is how plain and unexciting the cover looks, and the directional vector of his eyeballs. You could even say he demised young, from his age. Your mental energies should devoted to conspirational speculation.

Get to it! [face_batting]

12. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    No, no, no! Killing off Luke COMPLETELY INVALIDATES everything he accomplished during his lifetime. That hack Ostrander has officially killed Star Wars, and by extension, all that is good with this world.

13. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    My sarcasm meter just exploded. Thanks dude. :p

And because of a blown up computer, someone else posted all the comic threads this month :(

14. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Something tells me Luke's first words to Cade will be "***hole, what are you doing?! You're as stupid as my idiot nephew!"

15. Sikon

Mar 29, 2006
    Force ghosts, as I see it, take the shape of the Jedi in the pick of their power.

And Luke, as of LOTF, already looks older than on this image.

16. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999
    Force ghosts are supposed to appear in the form they were in when the person died. The reason Anakin Skywalker looks like Hayden in ROTJ is because Anakin died in ROTS (or so GL claims). If this is indeed Luke Skywalker, he should appear as he did when he died (minus any injuries). I'm guessing that Luke in the interior art will appear older and they just put a ROTJ-era Luke on the cover to get people to pick it up (ie, putting a Jedi with a GUN!?!?!? on the cover).

17. Darth_Angle

Darth_Angle Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 13, 2006
    :_| I knew it had to happen. I really hope that it's a one shot I was so enjoying the post Luke SW universe.

18. Corran_Fett

Corran_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2005
    Exactly. He could've always died by age... and not in LotF, as many here suspect. And the fact that he looks even younger there than he should in LotF only adds to that they made him look so young for more readers to get the issue. But from what GL says about Anakin in RotJ, I think that the force ghosts don't display the Jedi at the time of their demise - or Anakin was just "powerful" enough to display a younger image of him, but then his son would be able to do same. Nonsense, imho.

19. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    can't anything be left to our imagination? I'm disgusted by this and consider it sacriligious. I may be the only person with this opinion but it just seems that Dark horse are just pushing the fanboys buttons to add controversy and increase sales. I realy did not need to see a dead luke!
    If luke was going to appear it should have been to someone worthy like cade's father not cade (presuming that's what happens) Luke should not waste his time on this disgrace to the skywalker name. I'm glad that some of you like this but I'm absolutely gutted by this, gutted.

Unless this is Zonama (sp?) Sekot?

20. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    I'd see that more as guidelines than an actual rule. What's to stop Luke de-aging his blue self a few decades? Besides, when did he ever steal Obi-Wan's outfit when he was alive, just like Anakin magically appeared wearing robes he'd never previously been seen in for RotJ.

21. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999

Hostile much? If you don't wanna read it, don't buy it.

Also, if Luke were to appear to anyone, it would be Cade. What would be the point in appearing to Kol, someone who doesn't need guidance or help? The only reason Obi-Wan ever appeared to Luke was to help guide him and offer advice. That is why Luke would appear to Cade. And saying that he shouldn't waste his time with him? I hope you don't treat your children/grandchildren like that if they don't foillow in your footsteps ....

22. Jedi Vince

Jedi Vince Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 2, 1999
    I have said it many times ... John Ostrander and Jan Duursema have created the best the EU has to offer ...

And Legacy will be their crowning achievement -- the embodiment of two artists reaching the peak of their creative powers, capturing the very essence of Star Wars.

I'm certainly not in love with the direction of Legacy of the Force so far, something compounded by the fact I find Aaron Allston barely readable, and I deplore the writing of Karen Traviss. Thankfully the brilliant pen of Troy Denning will not only make Legacy of the Force worth my time, but help pave the way for this incredible series.

The prospect of Luke guiding Cade to a possible showdown with Krayt is amazing.

I can not wait.

23. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    kol didnt need help? so you think he couldnt have done with a warning about the thousands of sith about to knock on his front door?

And believe me i wont be reading it now. I'm not saying everyone else should boycott it am I? I'm giving my opinion, which i am entitled to do, the same as everyone else. I hate this idea and im entltled to say so. You like? fine good for you.

24. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Calm down, dude. It's just a story. And yes, you are entitled to your opinion.

Now that the initial shock of seeing that cover is over, I can very much see the logic in it and I think it is a good idea. Just so long as Luke doesn't become a major player. Then Legacy might as well be Red vs Blue :p

25. wild_karrde

Oct 8, 1999

How would Luke know about all those Sith? The only way he'd know about them is if they were the ones that killed him.

And I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion, I was just pointing out that you were presenting your opinion in a very hostile way, by attacking the product instead of criticizing it and calmly pointing out why you do and don't like it and opening it up to discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.