main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy ~*~ ANNOUNCEMENT ~*~ COMPLETED --TAGGED

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Mcily_Nochi, Sep 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    up

I seem to have gotten over my inital embarrassment at upping my own story. :)

2. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    Wow! Six pages!!!

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Congrats to your 6 pages, Mcily! :D And don't worry, I think it's all right to up your own story... as long as you don't do it TOO often... ;) :D More soon please!!!

4. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Oh, good, they got away! The wave of terror was half of the population of Dantooine going up in smoke, right? Poor Nastom. Bring on the next post, I'm ready for it!

5. I love Sci Fi

I love Sci Fi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    **pulls out popcorn** Ready for the next post ;)

6. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    Here you go, guys! I LOVE YOU!

Kos knelt over Nastom, shaking him. Nastia stood beside her, sucking her thumb. "Is he dead?" she asked, tears spilling down her cheeks.

Kos touched Nastom's neck. "No," she said in relief. "I've got a pulse." She shook him again. "Nastom! Wake up!"

He moaned and opened his eyes. "What happened?"

She put her hands on her hips, trying not to show the concern she had felt when he fainted. "I could ask the same of you!"

He shook his head. "I don't know. I heard--" His eyes got a faraway look, and his voice trailed off. "I heard the screams of children, the feeling of sudden death from hundreds of people . . ." He swallowed. "I think I know what happened. I had a vision of it."

"What?"

"I think Pryo blew up the factory." Kos stared. "And something went wrong, and it took the whole city."

"Nastom," she said, suddenly cold. "That could mean war. A war that might wipe out the planet. The sector!"

He pulled himself to his feet. "I know." He grimaced, rubbing his temples, and looked out the viewport. "We're in, uh, hyperspace, aren't we?"

Kos looked out at the flashing colors. "Yes. I got us away, though a shock wave registered on the sensors." She shook her head in amazement. "Advanced technology!"

"Where are we going?" Nastom asked quietly.

"I don't know," Kos admitted. "I looked on the star charts, and found a nameless planet in the Polith system."

"Does it have air we can breathe?"

She shrugged. "It didn't say. But if not, we can go somewhere else. I sort of picked it at random."

"I see." They stood, silently watching out the viewport.

"Nastom," a small voice said. Kos turned to see Nastia holding up her arms. "Pick me up, please," she whimpered.

Nastom laughed and scooped her up. "How do you like all this space travel, Nastia?" he asked. "You're the most traveled baby in the sector."

"Not a baby," she said stubbornly, and he laughed again.

Kos turned away from the sweet sight, staring out the viewport. They hurtled through hyperspace, making her feel momentarily dizzy. As blasé as she tried to act, she couldn't remember the last time she had traveled through space. Maria had begged her way to Dantooine when Kos was a baby. Kos wondered how she had managed it in her mental state. Oh, well, it doesn't matter now, she thought, picturing her mother's body sprawled on the floor. Strangely she felt no grief anymore, just pity. The large woman had looked so pathetic, curled up on the dirty floor, her body stiff with death. Kos swallowed, and forcibly pushed the image out of her mind. Both she and Nastom had lost all ties to the past; all they could do now was move on.

7. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Would this nameless planet be Coruscant, by any chance (before it was turned into one huge city, of course)? I liked the way Kos was thinking about her mother, wondering how she'd managed to beg her way to Dantooine, and feeling only pity but not grief for her death. I liked the way Nastia was sucking her thumb, too. Good touches!

8. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Great post! Can't wait for more! :D

9. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    Mar: Thanks!

Jane: Hmm. I don't think it's Coruscant, though I do have a particular planet in mind. Remember, I said that it's in the Polith system. That should clue you in, and if it doesn't, the next few posts will. :)

10. I love Sci Fi

Jan 21, 2000
    Polith eh, never heard of it.

Great post though...

more soon right? :) (yes, I'm greedy)

11. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    Because I got requests, I'll post the next part now. Er, in a minute. I need to go check where I left off. I'm several posts ahead, you see. :D

12. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    Nice long post. So is the next one. Tehehehe!

Nastom watched the planet rise up in the viewport. It was very green, and very beautiful. He stared in awe. He knew he would never get used to this sight, this feeling. Below him was a planet, teeming with life and a history of its own, just hanging there in space.

Kos glanced over at him, and he saw her lips twitch. "Sensors say it had breathable air," she said. "And life. We can stay here for awhile."

Nastom nodded solemnly. "Where else would we go? We have no money--"

"And even if we did," finished Kos, "it wouldn't be the same on any planet outside of the Danto Sector."

"And we can't ever return there." He bit his lip. "I wonder what will happen to it now?"

"The city will be gone by now," Kos said flatly. "Most likely, without the seat of power, wars will rip the planet apart."

"What a waste," Nastom murmured. There was so much evil in the galaxy. As a child on Jedos, he had encountered malice, and even cruelty, but never in such a large scale. Probably because the planet had just a few thousand people on it, he thought. And most of us didn't know the others even existed. They had never thought there was anybody else in the galaxy, or even on the planet. But he knew it wouldn't have mattered anyway. The Jedi were happy in their way of life, until it was taken from them.

He tried not to think about that; it still hurt too much. Instead he turned his attention on the planet below. He stretched out with the Force, marveling at how natural it was becoming to him. He felt a rich, sweet life force below them. Every inch of the green planet had vegetation. He sensed animals, grazers and predators alike, wandering across the surface, and smiled at the simplicity and perfection of their minds. No hatred there, just instinct.

He reached out further, then drew away, startled. "Kos, there's intelligent life down there!"

"How do you know?"

"I can feel them," he said in awe. Now that he felt one, ohters appeared in his mind's eye. "Thousands of them."

"Are they hostile?' Kos asked immediately.

"I can't tell. I won't know until we meet them. They can't possibly be against us now -- they don't know we exist!"

Nastia clmibed up in Nastom's lap and stared up at him. "It's pretty," she said sweetly. Nastom hugged her. His sister was his biggest soft spot.

"It's pretty in more ways than one, Nastia," he said. "It's pretty because it is covered with life, and the Force." He looked at Kos, something nagging at him. Ever since the Force had spoken to him, he had wondered how he was supposed to find another Force-sensitive person to teach. "Do you think any of them touch the Force?"

"I don't know. I picked this place randomly, remember."

"But if the Force is everywhere, and has a purpose, then nothing can be an accident. Especially if it involves me."

She snorted. "Nastom, I believe that's the first sign I've ever seen in you."

"Of what?" he asked, puzzled.

"The male ego."

"I wasn't bragging!" he protested. "But I'm the first person to feel the Force, so it's natural it would pay special attention to me, right?"

"Whatever you say." She looked over at him, and her eyes were definitely twinkling, though she reigned in her smile. "We should land in a few minutes."

They plunged down into the atmosphere, and Nastom held on for dear life as the ship bucked and rolled, red light flashing past the viewports.

"Is this always so violent?" Nastom shouted above the noise filling the cockpit.

"I don't know!" Kos shouted back. "I've never flown before, remember?"

"So how do you expect to land?"

She grinned at him. "I don't know. I'll figure it out when I get there."

Nastom swallowed and held Nastia closer. She was crying, and he whispered, "Don't worry, we'll land safely. I'm here, you don't have to be scared."

She sniffled and buried her face in his shoulder. "Nastom keep me safe," she mumbled.

He rubbed h

13. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Sorry, I haven't heard of the Polith system, either. I'm not very good with SW geography because I've only ever read the JA series and the Wraith Squadron books. Well, never mind. Keep writing and I'll discover it soon.

I liked the jibe about the male ego, and the way Kos had never flown before, and the way she didn't know what that smell was. (Can't wait until she steps in something soft and brown--that'll really make her say "What's that smell?") And the way Nastom was homesick when he saw the greenery. Thank the Force they landed in one piece. Now what about that intelligent species?

14. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Great post, Mcily! :) More soon?

15. I love Sci Fi

Jan 21, 2000
    something soft and brown??? eeeeeeewwwwwww :p

great post!!!

16. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    Thanks, guys! Here you go! Some questions answered, some not . . .

Kos woke the next morning wet with dew, and feeling more alive than she ever had before. The air was filled with moisture, without a speck of the dust and grime she was so used to breathing. She sucked in a deep breath, and coughed as the cool air filled her lungs.

She sat up and looked around. They had decided, at Nastom's urging, to sleep under the stars. The meadow stretched around her, the serene landscape broken only by their stolen ship, sitting contentedly nearby.

The faint smell of smoke reached her nostrils, and she turned in surprise. Nastom was building up a fire, with a pile of dry sticks next to him. He grinned at her. "I haven't done this for a long time!" Nastia stood next to him, watching the dancing flames and busily sucking her thumb. Nastom pulled the digit from her mouth, saying, "No, Nastia. That's bad for your teeth."

She smiled, agreeing. "Bad for my teeth." The thumb popped back in her mouth, and Nastom sighed.

"Someday you'll regret that," he told her, too soft-hearted to reprimand her.

Kos laughed, and Nastom's grin grew broader. "Come on over here!" he called. She stood up, straightening her crumpled nightshift. They had left so quickly they hadn't taken the time to change. The fire was small, but crackled cheerfully in the small, sandy pit Nastom had dug for it. Nastom held his hands out over the fire, and Kos hesitantly copied him.

"Will it burn me?" she asked nervously as the flames jumped up toward her hands. She jumped away, startled.

"No. Just make them all warm and toasty." He reached over and grabbed her wrists, guiding them to the fire. "See? There's nothing better on a cool morning without a shirt." He grimaced.

Kos wouldn't admit it, but she loved the warmth of the fire against her cold fingers. Nastia pushed up next to her, imitating her. Nastom pulled her away. "Hot, Nastia. It will burn you."

"Burn me?" Her eyes were wide.

"Yes," Nastom told her firmly. "Let me help you." He held her hands over the fire, and she giggled.

"It tickles!"

Kos's lips twitched at the sudden gleam in Nastom's eyes. "Not as much as this!" He seized her and tickled her. Nastia shrieked in delight, and Kos laughed. When Nastom put the little girl down, all their faces were red from laughter.

"Nastom," began Kos, chuckling, when he stiffened.

"Something's coming."

Kos's good spirits refused to leave. "It's probably an animal."

"No . . ." He paused, eyes closed, and Kos felt a twinge of jealousy that he could use the Force like that. "It's sentient! It's thinking!"

"Is it thinking bad things?" Kos asked. Nastom assumed that all living things lived together in harmony, but she understood that they might receive a less than friendly welcome.

"I don't think it knows we're here," he said. "We should go make contact."

Kos considered. If they introduced themselves, instead of being discovered, they might seem less hostile to the natives. "Good idea. Let's go."

Nastom picked Nastia up. "This way," he said, pointing. He threw sand on the fire, then they plowed through the grasses toward the rising sun.

Soon Kos could make out spiky silhouettes against the sky. There were five of them, moving in a group. When they got closer, the low hum of conversation reached her ears. It was unintelligible. "Nastom, I don't think they speak Basic."

He stopped short. "Fascinating!"

She raised an eyebrow. "What, specifically?"

He faced her with a look of wonder. "I come from a planet without space flight," he said slowly. "Yet I speak Basic. Maybe it's a little different, but it's still Basic. I wonder how that happened."

"You're people must not be indigenous to Jedos," she said matter-of-factly. "You have a strange accent, though, so it must have been a long time ago."

"You're accent seems strange to me," he said. "Really thick, and slow."

She wasn't sure whether or

17. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Ah! Thyferra it is then! :) Nice post! :)

18. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    Thanks, Mar!

That just exhausted my store of posts I wrote yesterday. I guess I should write the next one. Then, rumor has it, things will skip ahead a number of years.

19. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jedi_Laura_Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2001
    Whew! I missed quite a bit! Sorry! [face_blush]

This is GREAT! I love how things are progressing! :D Excellent! :D

I really ejoed the part where Nastom and Kos were talking about their accents - very cool! :cool:

Looking forward to more! :D

20. Rennati

Rennati Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 27, 2001
    Okay, I'm such a bad reader.. I've missed so much!!!!!!!

But still, the story is still great!!

I love it!

WONDERFUL!!!

Love the whole intro thing to the other race, love the whole flying bit, and the Force stuff......

I just love it all. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Later
    Rennati

21. I love Sci Fi

Jan 21, 2000
  22. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    Thank you everybody. Welcome back, Laura and Rennati.

More tomorrow, if I have the time. I've written more, but I might have too much homwork to come here at all. *pout*

23. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Ah, Thyferra. Nice details with the fire, and Kos being concerned about it, but liking the sensation of heat on her cold fingers. Good luck on your homework!

24. Rennati

Rennati Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 27, 2001
    Uppity....... :D

25. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    Thanks everyone! (Gee, you'd think I could think of something more original to say, wouldn't you?) Here's the next part.

Nastom absently pushed his overgrown blond hair behind his shoulders. They had been walking for hours, following the silent Vratix. Kos thought they were friendly, but couldn't be sure. Nastom touched them with the Force yet again, reassuring himself that they bore the humans no ill will. He got a sense of curiousity and friendly puzzlement.

Nastia squirmed in his arms. "I want to walk!" she announced.

"I thought you were tired," he grumbled, but put her down. She ran excitedly up the the Vratix, chattering at them. Nastom started to run after her, but Kos stopped him.

"Look," she said. "They like her."

The largest of the Vratix, the one called Yulia, stopped and stared down at Nastia. The little girl stopped talking and stared back, her eyes very large. "Nastom?" she said, her voice quivering.

Yulia leaned laboriously over and touched her pale curls. The fine hairs were caught in the joints of the Vratix's exoskeleton, and Nastia whimpered. Yulia hesitated, then made a soft, crooning noise. A big tear that hd started to form in Nastia's eyes disappeared, and her face broke out in dimples.

"Pretty!" she said, lifting her arms to the Vratix. Yulia hummed, and carefully lifted Nastia in its spindly arms. She shrieked, but with delight, not fear, and patted the top of the Vratix's head. "You're pretty," she said contentedly.

Next to Nastom, Kos breathed a sigh of relief. "At least they're friendly."

Abruptly they broke out of the jungle through which they had been walking and came upon a bustling city. Voices and movement filled the air, and Nastom smiled despite himself. It reminded him of home.

All around them were mud huts. The Vratix wandered in and out of their huts, and smaller creatures, very similar to the Vratix, were busily working. They scooped up mouthfuls of mud, worked it in their mouths, then spit it out, smoothing against the sides of the huts. Nastom watched, fascinated. Their saliva must add strength to the mud. On Jedos, they mixed nisi juice and dired out grasses to the mud to make it solid.

"Nastom!" Kos called. "Keep up!"

Nastom hurried to catch up with her, but was distracted by the sensations around him. All the Vratix and the other creatures watched them go by, feeling gentle curiousity and friendship. It gave him a warm, fuzzy feeling inside to be so well-liked by so many strangers. He grinned at them.

Kos stopped short, but somehow he knew an instant before she did and didn't crash into her. Yulia turned around and addressed her. Nastom sensed she was inquiring about somethng, but had no idea what. "She wants to know something," he whispered to Kos.

"That's a big help," she whispered back. To Yulia, she said, "We hope to stay here on Thyferra. If you will suffer our presence, we wish to live in peace with you."

On a hunch, Nastom directed a feeling of goodwill and friendship toward the Vratix. It bobbed slightly, and said something else. He sened affirmation. "I think they like us."

Kos shrugged. "I guess we stay until they throw us out, then."

"I don't think they will," Nastom said confidently. "But even so, after awhile we'll be able to speak with them, so if they want us to go, they'll be able to tell us. I think they understand that as well as we do."

Kos smiled broadly at the Vratix, opening her arms. "Thanks," she said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.