main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Legacy comics readthrough thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by OutsiderJediSam, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, the initial set-up sounded great, with a Kol and Cade Skywalker, Kol's student, the Fel dynasty, the Yages. A'Sharad Hett's reveal wasn't too bad, but when two of the three senior Jedi of the period were from the Old Republic, not the New Republic period, well, yeah, that's when it started.

Dawn of the Jedi, the authors' next big work after this (well, not counting Agent of the Empire which was better). Which had Xesh (at least I think that was his name). Another of those tall, dark pretty boys wavering between light and dark but was redeemed by his girlfriend's love. I can see why some of Legacy's designs weren't for you but DotJ's designs stuck out a bit more, being a bit too close to the OT despite being way way earlier than even KotOR had been.

I agree 50 issues with Cade was already pushing it. The sad thing is that just about everyone else was more interested in fighting the Sith than he was. Cade's apathy towards the galaxy was understandable (especially after LotF and FotJ) but the Force kept saying he had to be the one to save the day, no one else, which just made him more bitter.

AusStig and Gamiel like this.
  2. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    But the books never dealt with K'kruk, he was a comics character, so they dealt with him, just as they left book characters to the books. It's not a lazy excuse, it's a logical one.

kalzeth likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would not say that's the point of the character. And he did fall.

Actually we can, it would be an interesting show that you can dance around the corrupt/dark side looking cool for some time but unless you stop doing all those cool/satisfying but wrong deeds so will you fall.

Jan Duursema also have a tendency to depict all female devaronian as being shaved instead of their natural furry selves.

They do actually have similar face-structures.

its even earlier than TotJ, witch had had its own unique design and really felt like another era, and of some reason they decide to make the supposedly pure-blooded sith looking like the sith-bloods in TOR, with human eyes and noses.

o_O There is no comics exclusive character, just as there are no book, game or audio drama excusive characters. They are all SW characters

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    kalzeth, AusStig and Golbolco like this.
  4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Well yes, but that was Broken, which involved the Vong, while the rest of the post NJO books don't.

Damming with faint praise.
    I prefer Xesh, to Cade. At least Xesh develops and has an arc, even if it is rushed.

I MUCH prefer DotJ to Legacy I really like the Rakatan ships.

I would say everyone else was MORE INTERESTING. Than Cade. He just isn't interesting. Stuff happens to him but he refuses to have any drive. The only time he is interesting is in Vector. Before and after that he is boring.

5. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Something I cannot unsee is how similiar Antares Draco and Poe Dameron are... characterisation-wise.

Then again Ganner Krieg looks like a young Palpatine... or General Hux.

Dawud786 likes this.
  6. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Interesting, may I ask how, aside from being loyal a leaping into action, are Poe and Draco similar? I mean Draco is defined by 1. Being in love with Sia and loyal to her dad and 2. being an @$$.

I would have like it if Draco was more like Poe honestly.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    If I were going to cast someone as Draco, it'd probably be Oscad Isaac fwiw

IG: @jedisufism

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    This sounds very superficial and based on looks.

AusStig likes this.
  9. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    That's a naive comment. You know exactly what I meant.

10. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Well Poe is loyal to the Resistance dream, not Holdo, but to Leia. He can be an ass. And he sure loves Finn. Checkmate.

He is the perfect Resistance Knight... upholding the dream and in case leadership fails to come through, he goes against leadership, as it is the duty of Imperial Knights to go against the Emperor should he not act in the best interest, be it will of the Force or going dark.

Of course, he too is a flawed character much like Draco.

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Not really. The old EU characters appearing in many different mediums.

12. Xander Vos

Aug 3, 2013
    Depending on who the characters were. The characters in the Legacy comics are almost exclusively Dark Horse characters and so could be used with relative ease.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

13. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    On the topic of characters being exclusive or not, Sev quietly waves from the corner.

14. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Do we have any sources on the pronunciation of any of the characters' names? There's a few I could see interpreted a couple ways.

15. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    I tried to find a main Legacy thread, so I hope this is the best place to post about this.

I was thinking about the One Sith and the other factions in these comics, and certain similarities to other Star Wars concepts made me wonder whether this series may have been a way for the writers to indirectly explore a more ancient part of Star Wars history without literally setting their story in the past.

If you look at the Sith Order in the comics, they seem to generally match the ancient Sith Lords as imagined by George Lucas. That is, they match ideas about the Sith that were not known until after the prequels were released. Consider the following:
    • The One Sith were founded by a former Jedi Knight who fell to the dark side. This is also the origin Lucas envisioned for his Sith.
    • The One Sith grew in power and existed in relative harmony up until their one Sith Master was betrayed and killed. That was precisely the path of the original Sith Lords in the background Lucas provided in the novelization for The Phantom Menace.
    • The One Sith are a diverse Order, much like the Jedi Order, and include members from many different species. Lucas's Sith Lords were also a dark mirror of the Jedi, and they were not part of any one species but were rather something closer to a warrior cult or people.
    • The One Sith have a culture that is visually represented by the red and black tattoos sported by most of them. Maul's tattoos canonically evolved to mean something else in TCW, but the original notion was that they represented the ancient Sith lineage that he was a part of.
    The Sith of Legacy never quite had a civil war or self-destruction like Lucas imagined for his Sith, though they did end up going into the shadows for self-preservation. And we never see them get to the point where they only exist in twos, so they only parallel the first century or so of the Sith Order. And there are clearly differences of setting and story, but the parallels did strike me as interesting.

Then you also have the Jedi Order being based on Ossus, until they are forced to abandon that world because of a Sith attack. And rather than a Republic, an Empire is the form of government that rules the Galaxy. All these things seem like a synthesis of ideas about the ancient Galaxy that came from both the EU and George Lucas. The story is obviously set in the future, but in a way it echoes different alternate pasts and portrays them in its own unique lens.

Irredeemable Fanboy and AusStig like this.
  16. RogueWhistler

RogueWhistler Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2021
    Self-destruction is the single most defining characteristic of GL's Sith, though. The TPM novelization has the original Sith all but wiping themselves out in a matter of weeks.

It's interesting that Zahn and Veitch/Anderson both came to the conclusion that the Sith were a species when it doesn't seem to have ever been Lucas' intention. It makes sense as an extrapolation of Vader being a "Dark Lord of the Sith", but less so a "Sith Lord", even though both terms were introduced at the same time. I've heard that the TotJ Sith came from misunderstanding a Lucas note calling them a people, so I wonder if Zahn had heard something similar.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    Sauron_18 and AusStig like this.
  17. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I prefer them as a religion not a people. I also like that they call themselves lords (rulers) not knights ( servants [kinda]).

18. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Eh, the Sith as both a religion and a people is fine. The Sith species' fate was bound with the Jedi exiles. It may have not been Lucas' intention but a lot of things in the EU weren't.

Irredeemable Fanboy likes this.
  19. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Jao Assam from Legacy #2 I've always seen as a Force-using Finn. He even happens to be an Imperial... who defects at the end. Parralels can also be drawn between Ania Solo and Rey, quite a lot of them. Kylo Ren is definitely a Darth Caedus expy, but there's some Darth Wredd in there as well, if you stretch it far enough.

20. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    They even put a little Kol and Cade Skywalker both in old man Luke. I mean he didn't do Deathsticks on Ach-to but he wasn't that far off.

kalzeth and BobaMatt like this.
  21. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Rereading the first arc of Legacy, and an interesting bit of dialogue stood out to me. After rescuing Sia, the gang makes it back to Bastion.
    The phrasing "our daughter" seems rather odd to me. Fel could be using the royal plural, but I really don't recall him speaking like that anywhere else in the comic. If that was what Ostrander intended it just seems unnecessarily confusing. I would interpret the line to mean that Elliah Fel was still alive at this point, or that Roan had a new partner. Maybe Fel's new partner was this unnamed Imperial Knight. Perhaps she could be the mystery woman at Roan's funeral. It does seem possible that Elliah could've been alive at this point, even if the series glosses over her death. The original Empress dies in a city, with Antares and Niin wearing full uniform. Considering Fel was undergound for some seven years, I'd imagine she died either before the coup, or after Roan returns to Bastion in issue #3.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
  22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I think he was using the Royal We as he was talking to Cade, Jedi and co. So he might want to look regal.

Jedi Ben, Ghost and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  23. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    It's definitely quite possible. I still find it a bit confusing, but maybe I'm just too American lol. If anything, I imagine Roan Fel would be a tad snooty after being indebted to a band of space pirates.

AusStig likes this.
  24. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Royal We is the simplest explanation.

25. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I mean have you seen Cade? I also bet he smells worse.

Jedi Ben and SpecForce Trooper like this.