main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Legacy comics readthrough thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by OutsiderJediSam, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I always figured Zekk would have married one of Tenel's cousins-Taryn Zel I believe. Probably becoming a member of the Hapan royal family by marriage.

2. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    There is a closeness between the Hapan family and the Felpire, so it might be that Zekk did that, he might have been an ambassador or something like that while also being an Imperial Knight

3. OutsiderJediSam

OutsiderJediSam Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2017
    hey everyone sorry about being slow on this, a lot of spoilers I see, but that's ok, I'm onto Issue 3 right now and I'll post a review later tonight, I also will do my best to do an issue per night this week

Ghost likes this.
  4. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    Issue 3 Review

Socorro scene
    1) cool place for this with it being a ship just sitting in a desolate place over a sarlaac pit
    2) I really like how there is a cool clue for Syn's past, I hope it is revealed later
    3) jw, they just throw out Cade's being saved from Ossus as a throwaway line it seems, I hope that is revisted more
    4) I know what they're doing to set up the "fallen" hero, but I do admit, not a fan of Cade being hooked on death sticks and fighting with his crew
    5) I've never read many comics, so since I notice it again here just like last issue, is it usual for the art to be real detailed in some instances and very not in others? just something I have to accept???

Bastion scene
    1) seems very odd to say but....great to see the Stormtroopers loyal to a man and "not a throne"
    2) love to see that the 501st is still active as a squadron, that squadron is super elite/famous
    3) I actually like that Fel is gonna have a known home base and it won't be a copy of OT with good guys hiding constantly
    4) I love that Fel makes the hard but smart decision to not go save Sia

Socorro/Princess scene
    1) the quick look in is fine

Socorro/Cade/Luke scene
    1) awesome to see Luke show up (but first art doesn't look like him much, although second is spot on so that's even weirder to me)
    2) I do have an issue with Luke's belief here that maybe what Cade did wouldn't have to be a Dark Side power...I mean I know Luke is like Force Jesus at this point so if anybody would know he would, but it seemed pretty much totally believed that what Cade did was a Dark Side thing when he did it by all the Jedi involved who would have gotten their beliefs from Luke's teachings down the line, right???
    3) but this does raise a overall issue I have with the Jedi belief that "once start down the dark path...." means you're basically done for…..one thing? one time? that's just harsh in my opinion....and I would even argue Luke is proof it's not true, maybe that's the point though...but the issue is Cade seems to be taking that approach here, maybe Luke is here to teach him how it's not...but once again with above, seems like it's really gray based off Jedi's reaction what Cade did
    4) I do love the back and forth b/t the two, and Luke's admonishing of Cade for being a baby about hard life is quite funny and objectively true even if Cade's opinions sound valid from a subjective pov

Socorro next scene
    1) is that a hint that Cade and Deliah have something going on? good job Cade!
    2) so of course Sia runs into Cade and he has to save her, just realized something, maybe Cade is what I've really always wanted....Han Solo personality with Jedi powers!!!
    3) the escape scene is very reminiscent of Tatooine escape in TPM
    4) jw, what was that one panel where it looked like Cade reacted with a yellow glow???
    5) wow, not shocked, not even upset, just "disappointed" Cade makes the decision to sell out the Fels, so it's def. "fallen" hero storyline....hopefully it will work and not disappoint me, often these stories do sadly

5. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I really liked Luke's appearances in Legacy, they showed that Luke seemed to remain the physical world for some time after his death whenever that was.
    And yeah the 501st scene was awesome.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Cade definitely did use the dark side to heal (it's implied it's the power that Anakin wanted, that Plagueis had)... but it doesn't need to be a dark side power, just the way Cade does it is dark. I don't want to spoil, so I'll just say it's elaborated on (though much later). But the Jedi can definitely sense that the way Cade heals is dark.

Cade and Deliah are definitely lovers.

The dark side is treated more like an addiction to break (like death sticks), not that it will forever dominate your destiny (as Luke in ROTJ proved that wasn't true).

Cade's past will be revisited a lot more.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    At the same time, Cade walked the line between line and dark-and seemed extraordinarily resistant to the darkness.

kalzeth likes this.
  8. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    so basically, Cade's attachment issues to Sazen...yea, now I can get on board with that

yea, that's how I see it too and I def. agree on Luke proving it wasn't true in ROTJ

Ghost likes this.
  9. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    It's something Duursema does a lot --- here and there there's a panel that's a closeup on one of the main character's faces, and it's significantly more detailed than the rest of the page. I never found it jarring or anything. If Duursema put that level of detail in every panel then it would probably take a few months to knock one issue out, but the quality of her art in the rest of the panels is still top-notch, and throwing in an even topper-notch panel now and then is just an added treat.

10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I remember when I first saw Force ghost Luke, that was a big shock. I had hoped that Luke could have died peacefully surrounded by friends and family, but that was before LotF was finished. Anyway, it was a nice way of focusing on the legacy theme, with Luke apparently having been nagging Cade for quite some time.

Luke is right, Cade has reached a particular low point, turning in a Jedi like that. Turning in the Bothan might be an even worse fate than if they had just killed him. On the other hand, I feel sympathy for Cade, especially his argument about what's the point of saving a galaxy that's turned on the Jedi again and again (and this was based off the Vong War, after LotF and FotJ it feels even more like the galaxy isn't worth saving.)

I did like Luke knocking down Cade's argument, that every generation has their own battles to fight, and its the right thing to do. But Cade just wants to hide from things and that's an understandable human thing to do. At least Cade's not full on darkside raging, so far he's more pitiful than annoying (like that suicide threat). Luke's also right in that trying to avoid his destiny isn't going to work, as Luke himself knows. Although I'm not sure how I feel about that implication that whether he wants to save the galaxy or not, the Force says its Cade's destiny and he doesn't have much choice? And what do you know, who shows up on his doorstep but a very important person.

At least the issue ended on a kind of funny note- you know whenever anyone says something will be easy score it won't be.

11. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah the pirate stuff is interesting.

Cade is very broken at this stage is pretty much at rock bottom.

Yeah Fel is very logical and not emotional, a lot of people don't like because of it but I like it. Very much a 'good is not nice' character.

Force Ghost Luke is a very signature scene (even more so given recent movies) also good to see that Luke hasn't given up on Cade, even if Cade has.

Cade does not care one whit for the galaxy at large, only for people close to him (in this way he is a total foil to Fel)

kalzeth and OutsiderJediSam like this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Fel puts the Galaxy over those immediately close to him-it's not that he doesn't love Marasiah, it's that her life is less important than overthrowing the Sith.

And yeah the force ghost Luke scene I always felt was very touching and encouraging.

AusStig, kalzeth and OutsiderJediSam like this.
  13. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    Issue 4 review

Yinchorr scene
    1) I get this is really supposed to make the new Empire more like the PT GA army of clones, fun, personable, not stoic strict like the OT Empire/EU
    2) h/e personally, this doesn't work for me, especially with this being the Sith Empire army, since the Sith have been in charge for 7 years now and didn't take over unexpectedly anyway
    3) the Joker squad concept seems like a knockoff on Wraith Squadron having sarcastic comedic tones
    4) IDK but the story seemed to be a total setup for a joke being played on the new recruit, then that's just totally dropped
    5) the "dead" pool is somewhat funny, but it is a sorta overused trope
    6) the setup for Stormtroopers having to fight each other feels like it should be compelling (Civil War), but sadly it doesn't compel me at all (of course the Civil War never compelled me either)
    7) last thing, just a pet peeve of mine, but the fact all SW stories and especially the other issues of this comic have all been told in 3rd person, it just sorta annoys me for this one to be like a memoir of a character...that's just me though

Borosk scene
    1) just saying, that big gun feels pretty inefficient if it needs a power pack every 4 shots
    2) I also get what the "after battle scene" is trying to accomplish with endearing us the notion of unit bond but....is this gonna continue or is this just a one off story? I can't imagine them spending much time on a Stormtrooper unit throughout this series, so this feels sorta useless to me
    3) also, I hate to say this, maybe it's cold, but the "unit bond" story doesn't hit me as strong since it's used now in all war stories, and these are Stormtroopers, sorry, I've just been so accustomed to not feeling for them since they're the bad guys it's hard to flip a switch and suddenly care now
    4) good Lord, how wide and tall is Lord Maleval???? and all he is is Quarren right? are they usually that big and tall?
    5) I did like the ending of this scene with Hondo standing up to Lord Maleval and the squad questioning if they should kill the other Stormtroopers or not

Next day scene
    1) IDK, I def. get this comic is supposed to be a war comic, but to me, it really detracts from SW themes, it's way too war gritty with all the deaths of the troops...to me another def. theme contrast b/t NJO and pre NJO EU....and as a fan of the more light hearted parts of the EU, this just isn't my cup of tea
    2) I feel it is very in character of a Sith for Lord Maleval to do what he does with trying to make Lt. Cassel kill his brother, I also think it's more proof of the above
    3) I'm not sure how I feel about the believability of the reduced/injured Stormtroopers killing Lord Maleval, the willingness of them to go against him is nice, but it's somewhat confusing, was Hondo able to stab Maleval or not? Maleval laughs at the attempt to kill him, but Sith/Jedi can be killed normal ways (or at least should be in theory), did Maleval go dumb and not think about the others might attempt to shoot him? or is it the tried and true tactic of evil person's overconfidence gets them killed??? just not sure I buy it would play out like that at that point is all I'm saying even if I like the concept of the troops refusing such an order

Ending scene
    1) wow, all I can say is I guess one day of battle makes this Noob "battle hardened" and ready for anything else.....okay sure

Just saying, my least fav. executed of these early ones....

also, just think if going for what they said on troops vs troops, wouldn't it have been better for a pov from both sides???

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Dr. Steve Brule and AusStig like this.
  14. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Noob was a great issue. I didn't appreciate it fully at first, since it was still so early in the series and I was still getting used to this bold and new post-apocalyptic era. It felt like I hadn't acclimated enough to Legacy and its premise yet to be able to get into this side story away from the main cast. With time and hindsight I was able to appreciate Noob a lot more though, and I rank it as one of the finest issues of the series.

15. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    yeah this is a weird issue that feels like filler.

I don't mind it as a stand alone, it's ok. But it really breaks up the flow of Broken and honestly I feel is unnecessary, I honestly forgot it existed until just now.

kalzeth and OutsiderJediSam like this.
  16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    If I remember right, and after consulting Wookieepedia, this issue was originally meant to be after Broken but there were some delays with the main storyline so they moved this issue up to give themselves more time. Actually, back in those days I think there were plenty of delays with the monthly series.

Its an ok issue, an interesting look at Legacy era stormtroopers as well as what the Empire's like in the Legacy era and under the Sith. As well as kind of tying into the previous issue, as those troops were trying to reach Roan Fel but never made it to Bastion.

When they collected it in TPB they put this issue in the second one, where it fits more naturally. Its not a bad issue but yeah, at this point I was definitely more interested in the main storyline.

OutsiderJediSam and AusStig like this.
  17. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    It's a shame that it had to break up the flow of Broken, but it's understandable that Jan needed some more time to pencil six issues. Nobody's right in that it fits more naturally in the Shards trade paperback, which has a couple other one-off issues (Allies, Ready to Die).

The marketing was a little weird, in that the issue's cover continues the Broken theme of three characters on the front with a blue-grey background, which didn't help to advertise it as a standalone issue separate from the Broken narrative and may have made it even more jarring to new readers when they opened the issue expecting to see more Cade, Sia, and naked red Twi'lek.

But looked at retrospectively, or read as part of the Shards trade, it's a great story with a truly dark and frightening villain.

18. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    yea I really missed the bigger story of Cade and all after last issue...and I will say, I was really hoping this whole thing would grab me and so far I'm just like....blah, it's okay....this might sound weird but I think my issue is that with these comics the fact that the focus jumps b/t issues makes the story feel so uncontained.....almost like it's more of a lookin on various places around the galaxy....and I like more contained stories in SW (single books) as opposed to the trilogies (some good some not), nine book series, and NJO...this whole thing just feels a lot like the NJO and I wasn't a big fan of that myself so I'm finding the same feelings I had while reading that here...

AusStig, Sinrebirth and Xammer like this.
  19. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I would keep going at least to the end of Broken.

But I can see your point, unlike the KOTOR comic, this one isn't focused on a few people so much as the galactic events. There are few 'view-point' characters (and they get added to as the books go on)

OutsiderJediSam likes this.
  20. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'll chime in an add that even though it seems very disconnected now, the squad from the Noob issue do show up again a few times as the series goes on, so you can see Trask and his friends evolve along with the rest of the main series cast.

Ghost and kalzeth like this.
  21. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Definitely take AusStig's advice and keep going at least until the end of Broken. You've probably already figured it out, but all of the different groups that Broken's peeked in on so far are going to converge really soon. The final act of the story arc, and the fallout from it that occurs in the next few issues, are what bring everything together and make Legacy feel like a contained story (if one with a very large scope). I wasn't really on board during Broken's initial run either, but by around Issue 10 or 11 Legacy had already become my favourite part of the then-current EU.

22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    See Broken had me hocked from the opening.

I never minded the switching of the views and it does all come together in the next few issues.

kalzeth and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    don't worry everyone, I am committed to following through, we will persevere and I will read it all as promised, and yea I thought it would start coming together down the line, just hopefully sooner than later, from what you all keep saying things are in arcs anyway, so that will hopefully force it being contained to a degree....on Marvel Unlimited you just see there are the entirety of the issues to read (50 I think which seems quite large)

SWpants likes this.
  24. OutsiderJediSam

Sep 27, 2017
    Issue 5 review

Korriban scene
    1) okay, IDK, but Krayt vs Bane on One Sith vs Rule of Two seemed a little too like Krayt was trying to "belong" with the group (until he got mad at the end)...I always took Krayt to be his own man, not worry about others
    2) just saying, if all it takes to find the secret of death are Sith Holocrons on Korriban, I bet the Emperor wish he had these in the ROTS with Anakin.....the Rule of Two Sith probably would have told Palps the info
    3) good overall scene for a quick call back to other Sith though

Vendaxa scene
    1) wow so Shado is Vao's brother, good twist
    2) great to see Marasiah knew what Cade was up to, glad to see smart characters
    3) great banter b/t Cade, Syn, and Deliah
    4) great fight scene with Darth Talon
    5) great call back to the Ossus scene b/t Sazen and Cade
    6) great to see Cade begin his journey back (maybe)...I'm sure it'll be rocky though
    7) a little too obvious that they'd all have to end up leaving together on Cade's ship (but that's SW!!)
    8) a little too obvious Vao's comm was gonna be a traitor on the other end (but that's a trope at this point too)
    9) question though, if Krayt's been in command 7 yrs, haven't the lines already been well drawn for who's on Fel's Empire side and who's on the Sith Empire side....so shouldn't the Mission already have chosen it's side and that be known at this point??? the head guy even gives the reason as understanding the Mission follows the Emperor who is know Krayt, so then, why would Shado still trust in and be with the Mission and be working with the princess???

Final scene
    1) fine, just setup for next issue with Krayt and Mission leader deciding how to handle Princess situation

this issue was a lot better than last!!! finally a good look at how the storylines are beginning to come together!!!!

25. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Krayt's definitely his own man with his own plan --- that's precisely why Darth Bane yells at him and tells him to get off of his lawn. "One Sith? Bah! There can be only two at any time! And they don't all have to look like Darth Maul, dammit!" Krayt's not trying to belong to any previous group of Sith; he's just smart enough to accept that different Sith sects may have some points worth learning about.

It's not Shado who trusts the Mission, it's Astraal. She contacts Konrad Rus and asks for aid because he's the head of the Imperial Mission and she trusts him with her life. Shado expresses surprise that she trusts an Imperial.

Rus is essentially a double agent. He outwardly supports Darth Krayt because it's the only way to keep the Mission alive, but he and his agents (like Astraal) are in reality more sympathetic to Roan Fel's Empire-in-Exile. That's why Astraal is close with Sia. So when she contacts him, she believes that he'll help her on the sly like he's probably done many times before. Rus, however, knows how big of a prize Sia is, and he thinks that betraying Astraal in this case will curry favor with Krayt and ultimately be more beneficial to the Mission. He doesn't really care about Sia's life ---- keeping the Mission alive is his sole motivation.