main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Legacy comics readthrough thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by OutsiderJediSam, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Krayt is not only asking the older Sith for help-I think he's also trying to get their approval thus his whole "I have reinvented the Sith order as you once did" and bane just basically laughs him off. Same with Andeddu and Nihilus.

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    It always seemed to me Krayt was more interested in asserting himself to them rather than getting their approval.

3. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I think it's getting the satisfaction of recognition-Krayt didn't consult them for them to badmouth and mock him. He wanted their support and applause.

DarthJaceus and OutsiderJediSam like this.
  4. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Yeah Krayt is basically looking for validation (it's probs from his history, but we will get into this later)

Yeah it's a good opening scene.

Yeah some good twists and some obvious stuff.

Yeah I really like that Sia isn't dumb, but also still willing to pay.

I also really like the bet with Blue and Syn "you think we can take that?"

People can flip on things, after 1, 2, 3 or 7 years.

kalzeth and OutsiderJediSam like this.
  5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    This issue had some of my favorite expressions of the series. From Cade's "You got a problem with me?" to Sazen's calm answer, then Marasiah's face when suddenly she's again stuck hitching a ride with the pirates she just insulted, not to mention her wide-eyed look at the end after Cade's demonstration. Or how you can almost see the credit signs in Jariah and Deliah's eyes in one panel.

I think Krayt has a point in that he's improved the Sith, at least from his point of view, and its hard to argue with his results considering he's ruled the galaxy for years with an army of fanatical Sith loyal to him. On the other hand, well, they are all Sith and as such they're all evil jerks, so what does Krayt expect? Krayt won't admit it but he's really desperate. He's been dying for quite a while and he's running low on options.

This was probably my favorite part of the intro arc since this is where many of the plot lines meet up. Sazen felt he had to go find Cade and what do you know, he runs into him just like that. And Cade's little Jedi secret is out now.

The Imperial Mission was an odd thing. Back before the war, the Mission was one way Roan Fel rehabilitated the Empire's image. Now, well, you can see Moff Rus is using it as an unofficial spy service to stay in favor with Krayt. And I always loved the first arc's covers, it was just fun seeing all the new important characters. Well, most of them were supposed to be important but the execution wasn't quite as good, but that's still quite a few issues off.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  6. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Power is it's own purpose

Great explanation of the philosophy Sith in one sentence. This is what Kaan and Krayt never understand

MercenaryAce and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. OutsiderJediSam

OutsiderJediSam Jedi Master star 4

Sep 27, 2017
    grouped above 3 posts together to respond to them all here
    1) the first post, I agree Krayt has done his own thing hence why I always thought he didn't care at all about the Rule of Two or the Rule of Two Sith, h/e he seems to me in here to be trying to get the Rule of Two Sith to like what he did and that is looking for acceptance which I wouldn't think he cares about, he def. comes off as begging for help to save himself
    2) the 2nd/3rd posts explain the reasonable rationale for why Krayt would do this to me as well

well I agree he has a point in actuality on the more successful Sith Order, but like you say, what does he expect from evil jerk Sith who were Rule of Two Sith???

yea sorry, just put wrong name, sorry

my issue really comes from the Mission's leader's explanation, that's what really doesn't work for me, he says when the Emperor changes, you serve the Emperor not the person, well that happened 7 years ago, not recently

totally agree on this!!!

AusStig likes this.
  8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I think the scene on Korriban is an interesting comparison (though I doubt it was deliberate done as such) to Empire's End, when Palpatine goes there to commune with the Sith spirits - which I think was also the first work that connected Palpatine, rather than just Vader, to the Sith. It was also fun to see a grab bag of famous EU Sith Lords from the era show up for a few panels.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Krayt is also on a "Villain's Journey" (in parallel to the more traditional "Hero's Journey")... I think it's important to note how Krayt still seeks healing, still believes he's doing things for the greater good, still doesn't see power as its own purpose, still believes the Sith can cooperate peacefully because of his rule, still seeks the help of others like Cade and Wyyrlok, still wants to ultimately help people in his twisted way. In other words, there's still good in him. He's more like if Vader had become Emperor while still feeling that inner-conflict. Krayt will evolve on some of these positions.

As for the Imperial Mission, Jeff had a really good explanation in the last post of page 5. They outwardly help Krayt because it allows them to continue and still do good in the galaxy, but inwardly are sympathetic to Fel and have tried to help out. But on this, Rus knows it has the attention of Krayt, and he'd be exposed if he helped them at the moment. He places the Imperial Mission above Marasiah's life... just like Roan Fel places returning to the throne and righting the galaxy above his attachment to his daughter.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  10. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    I would say Krayt has a motivation, a dream if you will. He isn't just out for power or revenge, he says as much here. So he seemed interesting at the start.

kalzeth, spicer and Ghost like this.
  11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Krayt's whole ambition is explicitly called a dream.
    And yeah he does want something else than self aggrandizement or godhood as palpatine did.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Xammer likes this.
  12. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    For the dream to live the dreamer must die.

It's the line I was referencing

13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I was aware of that, Krayt had a vision, a glorious vision but yeah Wyyrlok and his lessons ;)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    AusStig likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This thread is starting to read like a redacted MI5 document!

Sam's at the start of the Legacy, how about we keep the talk just to the point where he's up to?

15. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    What do people think of the character designs?

I like them all haha, the main Sith are very cool and iconic, the jedi look nice, not to robey and the IKs are very cool, invoking the old Royal guard but still looking 'nicer'

OutsiderJediSam and kalzeth like this.
  16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The IKs have an element of martial uniformity about them-their armour and lightsabers is uniform which shows that their individual identities and preferences matter less than their service to the emperor and the empire

OutsiderJediSam, kalzeth and AusStig like this.
  17. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The Imperial Knights had a fantastic design. The crimson armor stood out visually in every panel they were in. It was really popular with cosplayers and gamers throughout Legacy's run.

The Jedi and the Sith... not so much. The former were prequel-era Jedi clones and the latter were just clones of Darth Maul. The thing is, though, I totally understand why. John & Jan used visually iconic appearances in order to draw in casual readers, and then made them stick around by giving the characters unique and fascinating personalities (interestingly, the most interesting Sith were the rare ones who didn't have Maul tattoos (Nihl and Vul Isen)). As dumb as it seemed on the outset to have an army of Darth Maul cosplayers attacking Ossus, I got used to it far more quickly than I thought I would. Still hate the Tatooine Moisture Farmer robes as Jedi garb, but that's Lucas's fault for not understanding his own damn movies.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I always liked the design for Krayt and Maladi as well, and that Quarren, as well as Vul Isen.

19. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Yeah, the Imperial Knights were a really great design. I appreciated that just as John and Jan drew from the prequels for Jedi and Sith looks, they were also inspired from Crimson Empire for the IKs (and yeah, I know the Royal Guards were in the movies, but I think they said at one point early in Legacy's run that it was a nod to CE). Which builds off of the fact that Legacy built off of and tipped its hat to, not only the movies, but a very wide swath of the EU as well, even stuff that were nowhere near to what John and Jan had themselves worked on. I always thought both of them were among the best creators for going back to the EU as a whole.

If nothing else, I think Talon's design clearly struck a chord (I won't dare speculate as to why...) given that Lucas wanted her to be in the Maul game, and then his early Episode VII ideas. I think it's funny that we went full circle in that Iain McCaig came up with Maul's look for TPM, then Jan based Talon on Maul's design, and then for TFA we had McCraig doing concept art of Talon based on Jan's design.

Ghost, DarthJaceus, kalzeth and 4 others like this.
  20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The maul tattoos never bothered me that much-it always seemed as a way of expressing the uniformity of the Sith order under krayt

kalzeth, spicer and DarthJaceus like this.
  21. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Couldn't agree more. They invented just one new planet and, as far as I can tell, zero new species throughout all of Legacy. This wording sounds a little corny now but back in the day I posited that they "wove together a rich tapestry of existing EU material" in order to make the galaxy feel more connected.

I mean, two of the main characters were Nagai and Zeltron, two Marvel species from the eighties that basically nobody had touched since. They took a planet that had been made up for the Attack of the Clones Visual Dictionary as the homeworld of one of the Geonosis Arena monsters and set the climax of their first story arc there, complete with an appearance of said monster. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Would love to see a re-do of the Legacy Vol. 1 series now so that it includes DOTJ, the rest of LOTF, FOTJ, Dark Times, Republic Commando, TCW, Invasion, KE, TOR, and stuff from Cult Encounters and Supernatural Encounters.

Sinrebirth and AusStig like this.
  23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I always wished we had gotten legacy novelizations. I would have loved to have read books from Cade, Krayt, Rian and Marasiah, etc...'s POV.

That would have allowed more lore building and in depth exploration than what the comics could manage by virtue of the medium.

24. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    By James Luceno right?

kalzeth likes this.
  25. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Yes! And Matthew stover as well.

kalzeth and AusStig like this.