main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy Family Trees

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Loclown, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Lavinium was allegedly founded by a Trojan. His son founded Alba Longa, and eventually their descendants supposedly founded Roma.

Of course, the Trojans weren't Greek. Recent scholarship speculates that they were actually an Hittite outpost or client state, but it's hard to tell.

2. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    The early history of Rome seems to be total a fiction until the 6th century BCE. Rome was not established in 753 BCE; there had been villages on the area which was to become the city of Rome for centuries before that date. Of the Roman kings those who ruled in the 6th century BCE were probably real historical persons, but the stories connected to them might be just fiction; Romulus and Remus and the kings that supposedly came after them in the 7th century BCE are just mythological figures. The battles against the Etruscans during the era of the kings that later Roman historians regarded might have never happened, instead the town perhaps was under direct Etruscan rule, not just ruled by kings of Etruscan family background. From the 5th century BCE onwards the surviving Roman histories seem to be more or less in accordance with archaeological and historical evidence.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The problem with early Roman history is that the Romans themselves just didn't know. The burning down of the City in 390BCE took a lot of their records, and they probably didn't have too many written records before the founding of the Republic at any rate.

Of course, by the time of Varro there had been a good deal of myth-making to both glorify the Republic as well as the greater families.

Now, it's possible that the legendary kings did exist--just that the various actions attributed to them may have came in a different order. That, and it's possible that they were client rulers of the Etruscans.

4. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Bah! Real history always comes and ruins my mythic fun.

5. Furyan_Jedi_13

Furyan_Jedi_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 6, 2007
    How did we suddenly get from EU history to real-life European history? I know I'm the one who brought it up with my offhand comment about the British royal family being German, but still, he've had two whole pages of discussing that as opposed to the Legacy family trees.

6. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    It's probably because there ain't a whole lot else to say on the subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.