main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - ST Legacy of the Order (Tie-in to ROS and TFA)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Devizz, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    I recommend reading the story over at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16IbTlY20fOpycCWcK0pUahqbm1NxcWqIt5kbbcnVsmU/edit?usp=sharing (most up-to date version)

A brief disclaimer from the author:

A prelude to The Force Awakens and a tie-in to The Rise of Skywalker, this short story aspires to seamlessly intertwine with all the established canon material from multiple media, be it movies, tv series, video games, comic books or something else entirely.

Focusing on the trio from George Lucas’ 1977 classic, I strive to add more depth and meaning to the ever expanding narrative of Star Wars while doing justice to the treasured and deeply revered characters. I sincerely hope that you appreciate this passion project of mine, a love letter if you will, addressed to my most beloved franchise of all time.

From one fan to another - enjoy.

---​

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…

STAR WARS

LEGACY OF THE ORDER

It is a time of PEACE and healing. After the destructive galactic civil war and the collapse of the GALACTIC EMPIRE, citizens of the newly formed NEW REPUBLIC take a much needed respite.

Rumors have spread of the return of the Jedi. While many are now HOPEFUL, aftermath of the war still ripples throughout the galaxy, having left many systems in utter CHAOS.

Now-legendary Luke Skywalker struggles to find his place in the world and answers a distant call for aid, feeling the need to help the galaxy at large however he can, like the knights of old.

Unbeknown to Skywalker, not all is as it seems and there is more at play to his undertaken mercy mission...

CHAPTER 1: From the Shadows

Very funny Artoo. No dashing heroics this time.

The droid beeped in conciliation and Luke could swear he sensed a morsel of sarcasm in the said beep. R2-D2 clearly realized that when one travels with a Skywalker, dashing heroics is an unavoidable part of the overall experience. Indeed, apple did not fall far from the tree.

We’re about to jump out of hyperspace. Be ready, just in case.” Luke proclaimed admittedly.

In his recent travels on the fringes of the unknown regions, he realized just how dangerous the galaxy was. The empire has fallen but as a result countless crime syndicates rose up from the previously dormant and seemingly contained underworld. The New Republic was stretched thin as it were, lacking the resources to maintain order in the core worlds much less the outer rim. At times Luke wondered if things truly changed for the better. So many lives were lost at Endor and the western reaches, Jakku especially. Not to mention the clash in the Yavin system - what he did that day… it still kept him awake at night.

As the T-67 X-wing starfighter left the hyperspace, a planet materialized before his eyes, slipping him out of his slumber of thoughts.

I think my scanners might be malfunctioning Artoo. I am picking up very few life forms.” Luke’s disclosure was worrisome.

R2-D2 let out a concerned chirp.

You too? I thought there were many settlements in the system, even a spaceport or two.” Surprise filled the Jedi’s voice.

They were quiet for a moment, taking in the recent revelation. They came here to aid the populace of this world but apparently there were very few left that needed their aid to begin with.

All right, we can’t just leave so here’s what we’ll do.” Luke declared, his voice immediately shifting from uneasy to determined.

We’ll head down and try to find out what happened.” He continued. “With any luck, both of our scanners readings are inaccurate.” As he uttered the words, he realized how unlikely they were.

Luke brought down the X-Wing, adjusting the fighter’s four thrust engines to half-speed. The planet’s swirly winds played with his controls - nothing he couldn’t handle.

See if you can do something to boost our sensors Artoo.” Luke requested expectedly.

While the little astromech worked his magic, Luke did too. He let the force flow through him and stretched out with his feelings. The planet’s fauna seemed to be intact, acting in synchronous harmony like it did for eons past which seemed to indicate that whatever happened here, no weapons of terror were used in the process - as if the people of the planet decided to leave their homes behind and travel off world for no apparent reason. Indeed, the place looked unnatural, haunting even - urban areas that spanned for miles on end were utterly abandoned. Suddenly R2-D2 began to beep excitingly, clearly pleased with his findings.

The exact same transmission Leia received? You sure?” Luke asked.

R2-D2 chirped in acknowledgement. Luke knew better than to doubt his long-time companion.

You managed to lock onto the signal...?” Before finishing the sentence, Luke realized the inquiry was unnecessary. R2 already took control of the ship’s controls and steered them away from the city.

---​

In contrast to the previous settlements they flew by, the district they now traversed seemed obscure and distant. Somewhat out of place in terms of the materials used in its construction. While the earlier establishments had countless durasteel constructs, which was rare for an outer rim world, here everything was mostly made out of actual wood and stone, an equally rare sight these days, even in rural areas.

Luke raised the hood of the cloak he just appareled as he stepped off the X-wing, a barrier against the unrelenting wind and pummeling rain. A sudden burst of lightning tore the sky apart, for a brief moment illuminating the building ahead. It would seem that the planet’s climate went in pair with its current disposition. Clouds completely blocked out the sun rendering his eyesight close to useless. Luke recalled what one of his mentors taught him about visual perception - your eyes can deceive you, do not trust them. If need be, even blindfolded, he could navigate his surroundings with ease. Then again, the shimmering lamp which extended from R2-D2’s central panel made things easier.

There it was. Luke felt a faint presence in the force, most likely indicating an intelligent life form nearby. He moved towards it with the little droid slumping through the boggy morass not far behind.

In an instant, Luke’s senses heightened. His hand a blur, empowered by the force, grabbed the hilt of a lightsaber attached to the belt of his tunic. In position with an ignited blade even before the bolt came, he assumed the stance of the classic Form IV deflecting the incoming particle beam. Blast ricocheted onto a nearby scaffolding, vaporizing it.

Artoo, take cover!” He shouted and then continued: “Please, hold your fire! I mean you no harm.

He could sense another blaster fire surging in his direction. This time, bending the laws of time and space, Luke manipulated the energy field of the force stopping both the blaster bolt and its origin point, the mysterious assailant.

He turned around and in what seemed like a flash dashed towards the attacker - an elderly male of a feeble, slouching posture, his face full of deep wrinkles and hair a dark-grey mess.

The male was clearly in shock, unable to move even a single muscle of his body, as if frozen by an unknown power.

Luke pulled down the hood of his cloak and extinguished his lightsaber simultaneously sheathing its hilt.

Forgive me, I didn't mean to do that.” He said in an apologetic tone while slightly waving his hand, releasing the old man from an abnormal paralysis.

The man stumbled backwards, the recent shock he felt now manifesting as disbelief and dread.

Y-y-you. I saw you and the others. Murderers, all of you!” He spat.

Please, calm yourself. Like I said, I just want to talk...” Luke countered but before he could add anything the elderly man muttered:

You’re clad in black just like... t-them. One had the exact same laser sword!

What was he talking about? A lightsaber wielder? Perhaps a marauder of some kind that managed to get his hands on an actual functioning hilt? Luke was aware that on occasion a relic from the Clone War or even times before might circulate on the black market but very few such weapons still existed, much less ones with intact kyber chambers. Most were obliterated in a grand spectacle of propaganda on Coruscant orchestrated by Palpatine’s puppet, Mas Amedda. The political ruse that meant to symbolize Darth Sidious’ ultimate triumph and his inevitable, indefinite dominance occurred decades ago, shortly after the Jedi Purge which all but wiped out the order. Then again, Luke sensed no deception from the man that laid before him in the dirt, face half-submerged in gritty muck. The most likely scenario was that the old-timer saw an augmented vibrosword of some kind and confused it for a lightsaber.

Let me hel…” Luke started while reaching out with his hand to help the elder but before he could finish, the man squeezed the trigger of the blaster he was now holding directly near his forehead.

No!” Luke’s voice echoed off the nearby cliffs but it was too late, the stranger’s lifeless body stumbled onto the muddy ground.

R2-D2 emerged from a nearby alcove, strolling towards Luke and chirping with concern.

...I am fine Artoo.” He declared resigned.

He had no idea what to make of all this. His only lead was now gone. Worst of all, he messed up by not reacting quickly enough to stop the undoubtedly traumatized man from taking his own life. Yet another soul lost on his account.

You found what?” Luke responded to R2’s beeps, distressed.

He followed the astromech and gazed in horror at what he witnessed. A vast, broad field stretched as far as the eyes could see in every direction and at its center, there was a hole of enormous proportions, filled almost to the brim.

It was a mass grave. Surprisingly, no smell of rotting bodies accompanied it nor peckish insects that given the planet's fauna, should be stripping all the flesh clean, down to the very last bone. Some sort of material was used to seal off this... tomb, for lack of a better word. It was almost as if the whole thing was hidden with intent. Luke couldn't help but wonder if that were the case, why weren't the bodies simply burned or vaporized?

He sensed something was amiss with every fibre of his being. Ramblings of a deranged, old lunatic or not, something deeply unsettling occurred here and he knew it was paramount that he got to the bottom of it.

Artoo, head back to the ship and try to make contact with Hosnian Prime. It might take some time to get out a clear signal in these conditions.” He said with utmost urgency and began to inspect the abhorrent pit.

The astro droid could already be seen cruising in the X-wing’s direction but for a brief moment he stopped and turned his upper visor back towards Luke, beeping questioningly.

I don’t... know my friend. I don’t know.

---​

TO BE CONTINUED IN CHAPTER 2: REUNION.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  2. Devizz

Apr 30, 2014
    Just wanted to add that I'd appreciate ANY feedback in regards to not just the continuity to the canon, if the story is interesting and so forth but also on the structure, grammar etc. (English is not my mother tongue). Cheers.

Also, here is a small tease from the upcoming chapter:

Luke strolled through the New Republic’s senatorial complex at quite a swift pace, not wanting to draw too many prying, overly inquisitive eyes. Unfortunately, the end result seemed to be the exact opposite. His worn out, rather plain robes made for a unique appearance - in combination with that inappropriate and rushed stride of his they attracted the attention of numerous senators aptly attired in extravagant regalia. The contrast was uncanny and it showed.

Shortly after the destruction of the second Death Star and prior to the signing of the relatively recent Galactic Concordance, while the war still raged on with remnants of the Empire and its warlords, some senators, including the likes of Mon Mothma and even Leia, wanted to use Luke as a symbol to rally people behind. Jedi were mostly forgotten by the commonality, in no small part due to the efforts of the now disbanded, infamous Imperial Security Bureau - one of Sheev Palpatine’s mere tools to put it bluntly. Still, there were some that remembered the stories, legends of the mighty sorcerers that protected those less fortunate. Basically, Mon Mothma and Leia wanted Luke to be a glorified poster boy for a struggling government that lacked authority to rally multiple regimes, states reluctant to join yet another greater power with a promise of peace and prosperity. While Luke wanted to help and considered agreeing to the proposal, in the end he declined. So much suffering was caused by not just the Sith but the Jedi too. The order was not without its flaws and only recently he understood that if he was to pass on what he has learned, he needed to learn himself. To understand, fully grasp, the failures of the past. Unfortunately, despite his request to remain anonymous, stories have spread of a hero of the Rebel Alliance, up and coming Jedi knight - a myth to some, a living legend and a paragon to others.

Hey kid.” An all too familiar voice barked at him with a snide, yet warm tone.

Luke knew only one person in the galaxy that could pull off snide and warm within a single remark. He turned around and wouldn’t you know it, the galaxy’s most notorious smuggler stood right in front of him. Not just a smuggler but also a rebellion general and a fabled war hero, he corrected himself in his momentary reflections.

Han!” He ignored the nearby gawking senatorial staff and greeted his friend with an embrace.

All right, all right, don’t get all mushy on me master Jedi. People are looking.” Han Solo said jokingly, shortly thereafter reciprocating the embrace, though more subtly and gently.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  3. Devizz

Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  4. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I enjoyed what I read so far.

5. Devizz

Apr 30, 2014