main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Legacy of the Red Sun --2007 Fanfic Award Nominee-Author's Note 6/26/2008

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth_Marrs, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PunkMaister

PunkMaister Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2006
    Wow this a truly wonderful crossover as well!
    I certainly do hope to see more!

2. Darth_Marrs

Darth_Marrs Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2006
    Dajohu?Thank you, I?m glad your loving it. I?ve always wanted to see Superman lay Vader out.

Raptor517?It?s fun to smash Stormtroopers. Great stress reliever.

Jedi-2B?Yeah, this is the New Hope Vader, still full of bad Mojo. And have I mentioned what a great Beta Reader I have lately?

VaderLVR64?Bad things continue to happen to Vader. In fact, you?ll probably recognize some of this chapter.

SHADOW_MASTER_W?I?m glad you?re liking. I noticed a lot of the other crossovers were tongue-in-cheek. I wanted to take a straight dramatic approach to it. The only time I?m really funny is when I?m trying not to be. As for the Green Crystal?I was flashing back to Superman the Movie on that one. It was the crystal that formed the seed to his Fortress of Solitude. I could be wrong on the color, though, so correct me if it was something other than green.

PunkMaister?welcome aboard my OTHER story. With Gods of Dark and Light winding down, this will be the only thing I post until the GOD&L sequal.

W A R N I N G

There is a very graphic death scene in this chapter. Graphic enough that my Beta strongly suggested I pass it by the moderators, which I happily did. It passed, but you should just be aware of it.

This will also be my last post before Christmas, so I hope everyone has a wonderful Holiday season.

Chapter Six: Alone

Kale sat alone in his cramped cabin, staring at a green crystal.

Just outside his door, he could hear raised voices as if he stood in their midst, even though the interior walls of the ship were technically soundproofed. There was Ryoo, in tears, screaming at all of them, while opposite her he could hear Pooja trying to calm her older sister?s nerves. His grandmother Jobal tried to maintain the peace between them, while Pooja?s aide desperately tried to extract some type of guidance from her employer.

If he tried, Kale knew he could peer right through the durasteel walls and see his family, although he found controlling this new aspect of his vision difficult. It was disconcerting to see his sister?s underclothes, but not nearly as bad as seeing her internal organs. But he did not care to try to see anything. Instead, he sat staring at the green crystal while he cried quietly.

In the fifteen years of his life, Kale had only cried once, according to his and Ben?s own recollections, and that was when he was a baby being shot by the sandpeople on Tatooine, all of whom were dead now, along with the rest of the planet after Vader?s annihilation of the whole planet years ago. Although he felt pain, he knew he did not feel it in the way other people did. Things did not cut or bruise him, and he never became ill. Those things that would make most people cry never bothered him. As for emotions, Kale had always shied away from close bonds that could be exploited.

Except for his family.

A huge sob wracked his body and he leaned forward, holding the crystal to his head as if in prayer. If there was a prayer in his mind, it was to erase the terrible image of his mother as she lay shattered on the floor of their burning home; it was to erase the image of Ben lying at the feet of Darth Vader as his world collapsed around him.

His door slid open, and he heard a voice. ?Kale??

He quickly wiped his eyes and looked up to see Pooja staring at him. ?Are you okay??

?Yeah, sure,? he blurted. He forced a swallow and then asked: ?Do we know where we?re going to go yet??

?That?s what I wanted to talk to you about.? She stepped into his room and sat on the bunk next to him, where she draped an arm around his back. ?Before he died, Ben gave me rendezvous coordinates for a Rebel ship. But you know the Naberries never supported the rebellion. We?re trying to decide what to do.?

?I?m only fifteen, what do I know?? Kale said.

?Fifteen or not, you?re also our brother, and we want you to be a part of the decision,? Pooja said.

Kale stared at the floor. ?I really hi

3. cibbler

cibbler Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2006
    blimers, he's lost everyone now and in what way! I wonder what will happen to him now.
    great reading.

4. Raptor517

Raptor517 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    All right. The Empire will regret this in a major way.
    Great update, anyhow! Thanks for the PM!

Raptor517

5. Arkeus

Arkeus Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2006
    Bastards Empire, they had planned their Assault well.
    Znother great fic here, now if only you could give us a few recs :p

6. dajohu

dajohu Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 16, 2006
    Good if sad update. :( I really don't envy the Empire right now, I have a feeling that Kale is gonna have a little bit of a anger management issue now... Although that might play right into Palpy's hands. Oh well, I'm eagerly waiting the next update.

7. PunkMaister

PunkMaister Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2006
    I would not envy it either if they have an angry kryptonian gunning for them which they do!

I look forward too to the next update of this too great story!

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    An incredible update! =D=

9. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    Excellent story. You really have these cross-overs down don't you? Although, I am wishing that Obi-wan had have become "more powerful then you could possibly imagine". However, I guess, just because he didn't disappear doesn't mean he can't come back (look at Qui-Gon). Add me to the PM list, please

10. Darth_Marrs

Feb 24, 2006
    cibbler?Thank you. I realized early on that it would be difficult writing the entire story strictly from Kale?s viewpoint. So this next chapter I start to introduce other characters from around the galaxy. This story, after all, is taking place just days before the Battle of Yavin.

Raptor517?indeed, Kale does become a pain in their collective posteriors.

Arkeus?Vader and Mara knew EXACTLY what they were doing when they started hunting for Ben, who in the end was their primary target. Thanks for the kind words, but what do you mean by ?recs?? Sorry, still relatively new to the boards myself.

Dajohu?Yeah, this was a pretty sad chapter. I needed the empire to truly hurt Kale, but how do you hurt the man of steel if you don?t have Kryptonite? As with our Superman, though, it?s the people in his life that keep him grounded.

PunkMaister?Just wait ?til Kale gets on the Death Star. Hehehe.

VaderLVR64?Thank you!

Talon-Kenobi?Thank you for reading. I have a confession to make, though. I just flat forgot about Ben?s disappearing. No excuses, just didn?t remember it. I guess we could speculate that there is a moment of preparation involved. Or that Ben didn?t have the time to study like Yoda told him to on Tattoine since Kale arrived after only four years. But the truth is I simply forgot. Oh well. And you?re added to the PM list!

I don't have a long PM list on this one, but this who I have so far:

VaderLVR64
    Jedi-2B
    ikarit
    Raptor517
    dajohu
    Talon_Kenobi

And for those following the Gods of Dark and Light, the second to last chapter, and the actual climax of the story, will be posted tonight (12/28) as well. Please see my signature for a link to that story.

And now, for your reading pleasure, chapter seven!

Chapter Seven: A Little Warmth in Winter

?This is a waste of time,? Holston said.

Winter shrugged. ?It?s our job. We?re in Procurement and Supply, and so we?re trying to procure a general.?

?Okay, okay,? Holston said. ?Just seems like the general would be here by now if he was coming.?

Outside the cockpit of their ship, the universe swirled back into existence as they emerged from hyperspace. ?Uh-oh,? Holston said.

Winter sat up. ?What??

?Debris field,? the pilot said. ?Not large, possibly a yacht or large shuttle. I?m reading trace energy signatures that look Imperial. This just happened in the last hour.?

Winter blinked and stared out the window. ?Looks like we are too late.?

Holston clucked his tongue. ?Well, this is a bit odd.? Winter stared at him, unwilling to ask the question she shouldn?t have had to ask. ?An intact body,? Holston finally explained. ?It?s moving at a pretty good pace away from the explosion, probably free falling. Still has a residual heat signature, so it might have some type of exo-suit.?

She sat up attentively. If anyone could figure out a way to survive the destruction of a ship in deep space, it would be a former general and Jedi Master. ?Can we bring it aboard??

?We don?t have a tractor beam. You?d have to suit up with a tether and try to bring the body aboard manually.?

Winter felt her stomach drop. ?You?re serious??

?It?s that or pilot so I can do it.?

She could fly, but she wasn?t sure enough in her flying skills to matching trajectory and speed with a body in space. ?Okay,? she said. ?Where are the suits??

Ten minutes later, Holston gave her the thumbs up after checking the integrity of her suit and attaching her tether line. The suit had small control jets that could get her where she needed, but the thought of going into space without a line to the ship was too terrifying to even consider.

The door to the airlock closed and sealed as Holston left, then the room flashed red three times before the outer door opened. She began looking for the body, but could see nothing in the absolute blackness of space. It wasn?t until Holston turned the ship?s exterior atmospheric runner lights on the body that she

11. Talon_Kenobi

Sep 3, 2003
    Good job. Like how you forget about Ben disappearing I forgot about Leia. And if you ever wanted Ben to appear again it could be easy, you can still become one in the force without disappearing, look at your other fic for example lol.

Kale seems really powerful here,would say he is at pre-crisis level or post (too be honest I haven't really read superman but do know the pre-crisis was almost near ulitmate god level and the could pretty much destroy anything if he wanted)

12. dajohu

Oct 16, 2006
    Glad to see Winter, she's always been a character I liked. I thought Vader got off kinda easy when it came to the Emperor, Palpatine never impressed me as being forgiving of failure. Did I sense a little hint at a possible romance between Winter and Kale? Maybe I'm just imagining things, but whatever you've got up your sleeve I eagerly await it. :)

-dajohu

13. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Finally getting caught up here, too. Hmm, I did send my betaed copy back to you of this last chapter, didn't I? Because you usually put in all my corrections, but hardly any of them were changed in Chapter 7. I thought I was all caught up on this story, so please let me know if I forgot to send it.

You really had some timing, to get in these 'everyone dies' chapters right before Christmas, here and in GOD&L. LOL!

I wasn't sure what you and Talon_Kenobi are going on about, regarding Ben not disappearing. At the end of Chapter 5:

Kale roared, shaking violently as he continued to hold her like that. Tears flowed down his cheeks as he fought with something inside himself. At long last he let go and she crumpled gasping to the floor. ?I loved you,? he whispered. He turned his back on her and ran for Ben, but the body of the Jedi master was gone. All that remained were robes.

This was the same in my version that I betaed, so it was in there all along. :confused:

14. Raptor517

Sep 12, 2006
    Interesting. And they think Kale is dead....LOL. They're gonna regret that. [face_beatup] [face_beatup] [face_beatup] [face_beatup]

Raptor517

15. SHADOW_MASTER_W

SHADOW_MASTER_W Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2005
    I'm loving this story! I really do hope that Kale isn't on Alderaan when it get destroyed. That is if it gets destroyed.

16. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I love Winter! [face_mischief]

?As you say, My Master. What is your wish for me??

Palpatine nodded in satisfaction. ?I have learned that the plans for the Death Star have been stolen. The plans were beamed to a rebel cruiser called Liberty. This indicates the rebels may be planning a strike against the battle station.?

?You wish me to hunt down the rebel ship??

?No, my friend. I wish you to go to the Death Star. Remind Moff Tarkin to whom he owes his allegiance. And if you must, pursue this second child of yours.?

?Thank you, my master.?

?And Lord Vader? Make sure that if you ever do find this second child that you bring it before me.?

?It shall be done, My Master.?

Wonderful! =D=

17. Darth_Marrs

Feb 24, 2006

Talon_Kenobi?Kale is very powerful, but also very young. I?m taking kind of a middle-path between Smallville and the comics, of which I?ve actually only read a few. As for Ben disappearing, I like my Beta reader?s correction to us both. I forgot that I didn?t forget to put that in ;)

Dajohu?Palpatine was actually more fearful than angry. That?s why he redirected the star destroyer, which in canon was the ship that intercepted Leia. Of course, Vader wasn?t aboard in this AU. As for romance?I honestly don?t know what I?m going to do with him in that regard. After all, despite being superstrong and super handsome, he is also only 15, and for Winter that would be a little inappropriate. We?ll see when he gets older, though ;)

Jedi-2B?posted from the wrong file. I?ve gone back and replaced the entire previous post with the revised one. Thank you so much for catching that!

Raptor517?you know it!

Shadow_Master_W?Well, we?ll find out this next post!

VaderLVR64?Thank you, I like Winter too. I?ve always thought she was underused and abused as a character. Someone with her talents should never have been used as a babysitter only. Oh well.

Well, we few, we happy band, I give you Chapter Eight, in which I give a glimpse of the rest of this AU. Keep in mind?Tattoine is destroyed. There is no Jabba the Hutt.

Chapter Eight: Alderaan and Toprawa

His Serene Highness, Prince Bail Organa, First Chairman and Viceroy of Alderaan, approaching his 69th birthday, looked younger than Obi-Wan, though more than twelve years the Jedi master?s senior. He wore an immaculately trimmed beard that was still mostly the same shade of black as his hair, save for streaks of white at his temples and lines of white in his beard from the curve of either side of his mouth.

Organa carried himself with a regal air that went beyond just his birth. It was the air of a man who, aside from being born into privilege, had seen and done many things, and felt both humbled and at the same time worthy of the responsibility and privilege given him.

Vader hated everything about the man. Here was a spoiled prince, born to more wealth than Vader ever knew, raised to believe himself worthy of his wealth and power when he was no worthier than a slave.

Not even a week since his embarrassment on Naboo, still physically weak and angry, Vader was in a foul mood to begin with. But when Bail looked at Darth Vader, it was the look of a man who believed himself superior. It was infuriating to the already short-tempered Dark Lord.

?I?m sure you can understand our concerns, Highness,? Moff Tarkin said, his clipped, cultured voice at once a compliment and a counterpoint to Bail?s own measured and stately speech.

?Of course, Grand Moff Tarken, and I am grateful to both you and Lord Vader, and our Emperor, for that concern. Alderaan has always been a loyal subject of the empire, and we will of course cooperate in any fashion required.?

?I?m glad we?re in agreement, then,? Tarkin said. ?You will have no objection to our stationing a garrison of stormtroopers then, to keep the Caamasi and other alien scum in line??

It was a hook, of course?a deliberate insult to the viceroy?s sensibilities. Although Vader was never one of Tarkin?s admirers, he nonetheless had to respect the man?s abilities to bait his enemies.

However, Bail too must have recognized it for what it was and gave just the hint of a smile and a bow. ?As you know, we are a pacifist world and are not armed ourselves. We would welcome the additional security to be gained by your garrison, and thank you for the offer.?

?Our pleasure, to be sure,? Tarkin said with the same ghost of a smile. ?It is always an experience, Viceroy. Please be sure to give our regards to your daughter. Speaking of, where is the Princess??

?She is on a senatorial mission to Ralltiir,? Organa said. ?I?m sorry she is not here to meet you personally, but I will make sure to pass your regards to her.?

?Thank you.

18. SHADOW_MASTER_W

SHADOW_MASTER_W Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2005
    Very nice! Love the Han Solo integration into the story as well as the reference to his past. I'd love to see how Kale is affected by all of this.

19. Raptor517

Sep 12, 2006
    Wow. I like how you're tying everything together so neatly. Fascinating. I still want to see Kale go one-on-one with the Death Star. Sorry, I just love Superman's ability to trash everything and come out un-harmed. And this is my favorite icon:[face_beatup] Of course, you've had to have noticed by now.....:oops:

Great post, let's get another one, soon.

Raptor517

20. Talon_Kenobi

Sep 3, 2003
    Good job, glad to see Han and his start. And the Death Star not attacking Alderaan first is a nice twist

21. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I really like seeing Han as an Imperial officer, especially since he's defecting. And Topawra's loss is Alderaan's gain, it seems.

22. cibbler

cibbler Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2006
    You sure manage to pack a lot into one chapter. Vader is staying on because he feels a disturbance there. Will that mean that Winter can't take Kale to Alderaan?
    Han thinking about defecting.
    Leia feeling that rush of pain...does that mean her forceabilities are awakening?
    I'm eager to see how this will continue and if those questions will be answered;) Geat story.

23. dajohu

Oct 16, 2006
    I also really enjoyed the integration of Han into the story at this early period. The destruction of Toprawa instead of Alderaan made a lot of sense to me. I never really understood why Tarkin chose Alderaan who he was only suspicious of harboring rebels instead of a planet that was obviously in rebellion like Toprawa. My personal opinion is that George Lucas needed a plot twist and decided to off Leia's home planet instead of actually coming up with a legitimate reason. Anyway, I can't wait til the next update.

-dajohu

24. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Very nicely done! I admit that crossovers aren't usually my "thing" but this one is superb! I've decided that I would love pretty much anything you write. :p

Princess Leia Organa suddenly understood what it meant to be afraid.

She had thought she was intimate with fear after almost two years of working for her father trying to unite the various rebel cells into a singular alliance. On several occasions her life had been in real, immediate danger. She had wielded her blaster and killed a fair number of storm troopers herself, as well as the disaster with Lord Tion on Ralltiir just days ago.

There was, however, one aspect of Leia?s personality that her father and close friends all knew far better than she herself ever did. Leia cared far more for those around her than she did for herself. That overwhelming empathy shaped her entire life, setting her feet on the path of politics and her destiny squarely against that of Emperor Palpatine.

Lovely! =D=

25. AndrewLightstar

AndrewLightstar Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2006
    Love the story, been a member of the boards for a while but haven't had the time to really read till now. Your doing a really good job of mixing two loves Superman and Star Wars. Hope to read more posting and would love to have a PM when you next post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.