main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Legacy of the Red Sun --2007 Fanfic Award Nominee-Author's Note 6/26/2008

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Darth_Marrs, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cibbler

cibbler Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2006
    I know there'll be Heaven Falls but this one is my fav. of your stories and I'll miss the regular updates when part one is finished :(

But not at the end yet. Lots of action Great chapter DM

2. Raptor517

Raptor517 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    He asked it as a rhetorical question, and when Kale raised his hand, the captain glowered. ?Yes, Ensign..what is your name??

?Naberrie, sir,? Kale said. ?Kale Naberrie. If I were wanted by Darth Vader for punching him in the face and breaking his mask, what type of security would the Death Star be able to send to try and catch me??

The Imperial captain stared. ?Is this some type of joke??

Yup. And it was hilarious! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

And of course, Han making women want to kick him:

?You must really get on my nerves, Solo,? she said. ?I should have stunned you the moment this started, and I didn?t even think about it.?
    ?What can I say, I have that effect on women,? he said.

LOL, LOL, and LOL. [face_laugh]

3. Lady_Jade

Lady_Jade Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004
    :eek: Evil, evil cliffie!!!!!!

how is Kale gonna get himself out of this one????

4. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Still enjoying this! And it was longer, too! Post two chapters now! :D

Just kidding. Looking forward to the next update. Keep up the great work!

5. Darth_Marrs

Darth_Marrs Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2006
    Shadow_Master_W?Wish granted. See below.

RedGold?has Superman ever really lost a fight? I mean, aside from the one he lost and died. But other than that??[face_thinking]

Jedi-2B?Wouldn?t be Star Wars without a few snags.[face_cow]

VaderLVR64?Thank you!

Dajohu?Hopes granted. o_O See below.

PonyTricks?Beware redheads with weapons.=P~ :eek:

Hpssslashfan?rest assured, our heroes will be victorious. Although, that said, I have been known to just kill all the main characters just for the fun of it. [face_devil]

TigerofRobare?But would he want to? Kale?s only fifteen.

Talon-Kenobi?Thanks. It?s fun to have an AU/Crossover and still manage to stay within the general framework of the existing story. I?m glad it?s working for you.

Cibbler?and don?t worry, it?s not over. Just on hiatus (after one more chapter, that is). My Beta is finishing up a section of Heaven Falls, butwhen she?s done, I?ll shoot her the next part of this one. Think Empire Strikes Back to this one?s New Hope.

Raptor517?I?ve made women want to kick me as well. It is at once exhilarating and terrifying and the best advice I can give if you?re ever in that type of situation is to run as fast as you can. [face_beatup]

Lady-Jade?See below. [face_whistling]

Skalenfehl?here?s another long one for you, though it might be the last long one for a while. After this post I have one more small chapter, then we?ll have to wait until the next section is Beta read. Trust me, you really DO want me to have the stuff Beta read. I can?t edit my own stuff worth a penny.[face_monkey]

And now, ladies and gentlebeings, we have nearly come to the end of this glorious tale of bravery, adventure and naked Kryptonian teenagers. But I am no T.S. Elliot. My story will end not with a whimper, but a really big bang. I hope you enjoy.

Chapter Fifteen: The Battle of Yavin

Kale screamed in agony.

Green energy poured into his body from the six heavy e-web emplacements. He curled up into a fetal position within the bubble of null gravity and screamed again as the blaster bolts struck his body again and again.

Beside Vader, Grand Moff Tarkin himself joined the spectacle. ?Quite remarkable,? the moff said. ?Do we know what this creature is??

?I believe the emperor knows,? Vader said. ?His ability to survive the barrage is impressive.?

?I received a communication from the Emperor?s Hand. She says she caught two rebels attempting to free the princess from your quarters.?

Vader nodded. ?As I suspected.?

?One is a pilot I personally awarded the Imperial Medal of Honor to, believing him dead.?

Vader took a moment to look at Tarkin?s outraged expression. ?Indeed. The rebels are of no use to either my master or myself. I leave it to you to find a suitable punishment for the traitor.?

?I?m sure I will,? Tarkin said. ?Tell me, Lord Vader. What will you do if this creature does not die here??

?He will die,? Vader promised.

?Very well, then. I will return to the command deck to oversee the final destruction of the rebel base. Let me know if you need any assistance.?

?Thank you, Moff Tarkin,? Vader said, his voice barely audible over Kale?s screams. ?I will indeed.?

Tarkin nodded and walked to the nearest turbolift. Using his command override, the lift took him directly to the command deck in the northern hemisphere of the station, traveling through a vacuum tube at a thousand klicks an hour. It took nearly five minutes to arrive. When the door opened, though, it did so directly on the command deck. Admiral Motti smiled in greeting. ?Moff Tarkin, we will be in range in twenty minutes!?

?Excellent, Admiral,? Tarkin said.

?We have detected approximately 30 star fighters en route from the rebel base,? Motti said.

Tarkin turned and stared. ?Thirty ships? That?s all the vaunted rebel alliance could throw at us? Do we even n

6. TigerofRobare

TigerofRobare Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 11, 2006
    Hooray! Wedge did it! Kale and company are safe! Great post.

Who named Kale, because I notice how similar it is to Kal-El.

7. dajohu

dajohu Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 16, 2006
    :) Kale can fly and use heat vision now? YAY I loved the update, but I'm wondering where this "preprogrammed" destination is that Vader went to. I also liked the way Wedge blew the DS, it makes alot more sense than what they did in canon, I never understood why if the turbolasers couldn't target something as small as a snubfighter effectively, they had to use the trenches for cover. Anyway, great postie and looking forward to the next one.

-dajohu

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    AMAZING!!!! :eek:

Since everyone there except Leia was clad in Imperial clothing, they moved through the , panicked crowds in the halls with ease. The whole station rocked abruptly, and everyone there knew the Rebels were getting very close to achieving their ends.

They finally found an armored assault shuttle in a hangar Kale hadn?t completely destroyed and climbed aboard. Han ran to the cockpit with Leia a step behind, while Kale and Winter put the still unconscious Mara on a bench.

?Kale, you have to realize she won?t stop being an Imperial just because you saved her,? Winter said gently. ?I know you cared about her once, but she is the enemy.?

Kale nodded. ?I know.?

Winter looked into the young man?s face for the longest time. ?You still love her.?

Kale?s cheeks reddened, but only a little. ?Like everyone says, I?m just a foolish boy.?

Winter took his hand. ?Not so foolish, Kale. And you?re not a boy any more. Even Mara saw that in the end.?

I particularly loved that section. :D

=D=

9. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Aww! So Kale loves Mara, and wouldn't let her die on the Death Star. But I feel he made a mistake letting Vader live. [face_worried]

10. hpssslashfan

hpssslashfan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2007
    Don't you dare![face_not_talking] Don't even tease. I'd miss you too much when the Fic Cops come by and take you to a safe place! [face_shame_on_you]

So, onto my thoughts on your Post.
    Isn't Kal El powered by Light/energy? Wouldn't you think that if something isn't working that they would try something new? *snickers*

Beautifully written, very descriptive setting of a racial memory coming to the forefront of his mind in this moment of torture.

Didn't I say that He was powered by light and energy!
    Yahooooooo, Young KalEl with attitude and kicking ass! WHOOHOOOO!

Besides Clark (Tom Welling naked =P~ my favorite visual} facing off against Vader in black leather. Wow great image and reeeeeeealllllyyyyyy kinky. [face_devil] LOL

Oh shoot, you put clothes on him, Poo! :(

Love the snark!

Can't Wait For More!
    @};-
    PS. I am a huge Clex Fan

11. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Kale is great in this one, he's grown up a lot mentally but still a kid, and in love with Mara... *shakes head* he's just like Luke, a glutton for punishment.

And did I read that right, Vader is heading towards Yavin? That could really change things.

12. Raptor517

Raptor517 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    I was a little worried there that you might have Wedge crash into the portal and accomplish the same purpose. Glad you didn't, as he's one of my all time favorite characters from SW.

Laser eyes was my guess as to how Kale would get out of it, but I liked how he had the vision of his homeworld blowing up. Puts things in a different light.

Great Update, again!

Raptor517

13. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    If Luke's not around to blow up the DS, then Wedge is the next best thing. And I like how Kale is maturing, both in his abilities and in his wisdom.

btw, I'm getting ready to send that last section of Heaven Falls back to you. Probably first thing tomorrow morning.

14. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Very nice post! And long, too! I'm not worried about Vader in this story.

I have to believe that you are saving Mara for some kind of redemption. Maybe she has a change of heart and even falls in love with Kale. If it can happen to a farm boy...

Looking forward to the next post!

15. cibbler

Aug 30, 2006
    Way to go Wedge and Kale!

We're nearing the end of the first installment and I'm suddenly wondering how Kale is pronounced:confused: I've been reading it as Kah-le, but its probably more like Kail...

16. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
    Good job. I forgot about Wedge. He sure has the skill. And it seems like Kale is slowly becoming Superman

17. Darth_Marrs

Darth_Marrs Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2006
    TigerofRobare?Within the story, Obi-Wan named him. Perhaps at the whim of the Force. In the real world, I chose the name as a play on Kal-El.

Dajohu?The pre-programmed destination is a bit of an unintentional red herring. It just takes him to a nearby Imperial outpost for servicing.

VaderLVR64?Thank you.

PonyTricks?Kale loves her. Kale is a romantic idiot. Gotta love that. And he will most definitely regret letting Vader live.

Hpssslashfan?well, okay, just for you. Better never read Gods of Dark and Light. Hehe. Actually?since it was pointed out that I had him running around naked so much, I made a point of getting something on him. The problem is that when exposed to such devastating energies?I?m sorry, he?s going to lose his clothes. It always bugged me to see Clark walked out of a building-shattering explosion with a few patches of dark smudge on his jacket. Come on!

Anyway, glad you liked it. I?ll admit I wasn?t quite writing it the way you are reading it, but Reader Response is a perfectly valid form of literary critique, so have at it! o_O

RedGold?Yeah, Kale had to do a lot of growing up real quick. As for Vader?again, unintentional red herring. Think nothing of it.

Raptor517?I have no problem killing characters, but not Wedge! Who doesn?t like Wedge? Glad the racial memory flashback worked for you.

Jedi-2B?He still has a lot of growing up to do, but Kale?s on the right track!

SkalenFehl?yes, no worries about Vader in this story. As for Mara?honestly I?m not sure what?s going to happen to her yet. I like Winter too. Fire and Ice, each after their own super man.

cibbler?In my mind I?ve been pronouncing it Kail (rhymes with pale).

Talon_Kenobi?Thank you. Wedge rocks, and Kale?s getting a lot closer.

So, dear readers, I have good news and bad. The bad is, this is it. Part 1 of Legacy of the Red Sun is over as of the end of this chapter.

The good news is that I?ve submitted the first 50 or so pages of Part 2 to my Beta for review. I send very large chunks at a time, so it may take her a couple of weeks to get to it, but there will be more adventures of Super Kale in the GFFA soon, and I?ll go ahead and just post here. I?ll also keep the current PM list for just that purpose. And as a reminder, the current PM list looks like this:

AndrewLightStar
    Cal-gon
    Centerpoint1
    Cibbler
    Dajohu
    Dralksakrak
    hpssslashfan
    Ikarit
    Jedi-2B
    Lady_Jade
    Raptor517
    SkalenFehl
    Talon_Kenobi
    TigerofRobare
    VaderLVR64

Some I haven?t heard from in a while, others I hear from daily. If you would like to be added, or removed, please just let me know. For those who?ve stayed with me through the whole thing, thank you very much for your help, comments and support. I especially wish to thank Jedi-2B for Beta reading. If ya?ll had any idea how bad my editing was, you would really appreciate the work she did.

And now I present the final chapter of Part I of Legacy of the Red Sun, in which Han gets permission to look down Leia?s dress and Kale and Mara don?t kiss and make up.

Chapter 16: Saying Goodbye

The awards ceremony was a hastily assembled affair, since everyone recognized the need to evacuate the exposed base. However, enough personnel were gathered to make for a very large audience when Colonel Han Solo, newly promoted Captain Wedge Antilles, Winter, and Kale Naberrie were each awarded the Alliance Medal of Honor for their individual roles in the destruction of the Death Star.

As Leia turned to fetch Han?s medal, she heard him whispering quietly to himself: ?Don?t look down the dress. Don?t look down the dress.? She honestly didn?t know whether to be offended that he would even consider such rude behavior, or flattered that he was trying as hard as he was not to be rude. And he was trying, she saw. When she bent over to place the medal over his head, he kept his eyes steadily on her face and even managed not to make a

18. cibbler

Aug 30, 2006
    Awesome story beginning to end DM. Looking forward to the next installment, to say put it mildly;)

This story certainly started my love for cross overs.

19. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Great wrap-up to part one. Han and Leia are even much more civil to each other. And we can't help but root for Kale and Mara.

I'll start part 2 as soon as I can. Will be out of town part of next week. And then there's a certain new book that came out yesterday to keep me busy, too. ;)

20. dajohu

dajohu Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 16, 2006
    Poor Mara, when is Kale going to kill of the old sithbag so she can get rid of those pesky mental commands and fall for Kale like she's supposed to? lol Anyway, can't wait for the next update and hope your Beta is a REALLY fast reader. :)

-dajohu

21. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Excellent conclusion!

As Leia turned to fetch Han?s medal, she heard him whispering quietly to himself: ?Don?t look down the dress. Don?t look down the dress.? She honestly didn?t know whether to be offended that he would even consider such rude behavior, or flattered that he was trying as hard as he was not to be rude. And he was trying, she saw. When she bent over to place the medal over his head, he kept his eyes steadily on her face and even managed not to make a snide comment.

?You helped save my life, Colonel,? Leia said softly. ?I suppose I shouldn?t be too offended by a peek.?

He blushed, only then realizing he?d been muttering aloud. But then something strange happened. Rather than a roguish grin or a rascally smirk, he smiled like a true gentleman and said: ?Your face is enough, my lady.?

Leia felt her cheeks redden, but couldn?t help smile a little. ?You?re learning, Colonel.?

[face_laugh]

Please include me on the PM list for the next part! ;)

=D=

22. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Awesome stuff, Han and Leia are great.

I really like Kale/Mara here, so much angst, makes me wonder how you're going to pull this off!

;)

PM would be nice for when you start it back up again!

23. hpssslashfan

hpssslashfan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2007
    WOW

Very well written, I like Leia interaction with Han and Kale's discussion with Mara. Can't wait till the next segment.

24. TigerofRobare

TigerofRobare Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 11, 2006
    Excellent! Great scene. Just like Clark and Lana. Thanks for the PM.

25. Lady_Jade

Lady_Jade Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004
    As sad as the ending was...I think it was rather fitting. It must have a cost a lot for both of them to do/say what they did.

Though I have to say....I loved the little scene between Han and Leia [face_laugh] There is hope for them yet.

This was a great story Darth_Marrs!!! I can't wait for the next instalment!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.