main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Heero_Yuy, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    [image=http://is.fivestarlaser.com/6380.jpg]

I thought I'd make a thread about an anime I feel is underapreciated outside of Japan. Legend of the Galactic Heroes is a sprawling, epic OVA series (one of the longest of all time at 110 episodes) featuring a war between the Galactic Empire (which is based on 19th century Prussia) and the Freedom Alliance (which parallels a bloated, modern democracy). These two superpowers have been at war for decades, if not centuries for control of the galaxy and, at the main focus of the conflict, is the battle between two men; Reinhard von Musel who an ambitious noble born and Yang Wen-Li, a young historian who only joined the service because he needed the money. Both of these men are strategic geniuses who gain more and more power and influence as the story progresses, eventually leading them to become heroes.

Sadly, this series was never released in America, or anywhere else for that matter due to its length and dense nature of its subject matter. Also, I frankly think most otaku these days would find it boring as the story is notoriously slow paced. Still, I recommend this series if you're looking for a serious, dramatic anime that isn't "moe moe kawaii" and for those who enjoy history and genuine intrigue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.