main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Legend of the Seeker

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Mastadge, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryorin

Ryorin Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2008
    [hl=black]They've already shown up? Really?[/hl]o_O

Yeah, I also kind of wish that they had made a mini-series instead. I think that was the original plan, but oh, well.

How would you say the characterizations are?

2. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2002
    The show for the most part has taken the spirit of the books and run with them but hasn't been 100% true to the books story element wise, but instead they've taken nuggets and reworked them well for TV. Honestly, there's no way that anyone could've been 100% true to the story using this format. Kahlan/Richard spent like 200 pages w/ the Mud People in the books and frankly that would've made for boring TV. They incorporated elements from the first part of the book and reinterpreted things for the first 1/2 of the season. IMO Richard, Kahlan, and Zedd are being portrayed spot on as to how they are written in WFR (I just reread it.) I personally love the cast...give Craig Horner a few years on the show to really sink his chops into improving his craft and I can see him becoming Australia's next Hugh Jackman. Bridget is fantastic.

Last night's ep completely set up where the rest of the season will be going with finally the introduction of the Boxes of Orden, Demmin Nas, and Shota. Kahlan's reasoning on why she and Richard was finally fully disclosed w/o Richard knowing so this will lead to a lot of angst for the rest of the season.

First 1/2 of the season = Richard/Kahlan/Zedd getting to know each other, Richard getting the feel for his new position/ability/destiny, Richard learning how bad things are for the people in the Midlands. Second 1/2 of the Season [spoilers][hl=black]will have Richard hardening up...thanks to Denna...GRRR! The full angst Richard/Kahlan love story getting explored and the search for the boxes which will lead to the big climactic season end.[/hl][/spoilers]

As an FYI - the next episode DENNA won't air until 1/10. Click [link=http://multipleverses.com/2008/12/08/legend-of-the-seeker-episode-schedule-update/]HERE[/link] for full episode schedule. I've also got my [link=http://multipleverses.com/category/tv/sci-fi-tv-news/legend-of-the-seeker-sci-fi-tv-news-tv/]full episode reviews[/link] posted over on MV for anyone who's interested in finding out more about the series. I also maintain a massive [link=http://multipleverses.com/legendgallery/index.php]Photo Gallery for the show.[/link]

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2002
    First photos of [link=http://multipleverses.com/2008/12/15/legend-of-the-seeker-news/]Denna[/link] are now available.

4. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Denna (01x08) was a great episode. Interesting character. I wonder if she "just" is crazy and sadistic or if there is some underlying things that makes here act like she does. Although I haven't read the books I think the series (so far) laks some what of continuity. It almost feels like there is something missing in the plot and characterisation.

5. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    So far, I'm enjoying the series. This coming from someone who hasn't read any of the books.

Basically, I enjoy that it really looks like good ol' pure fantasy. There is the hero, the lovely princess(-like character), and the wizard. There is good ol' magic. There There is a Dark Lord in a faraway creepy castle. is an evil Empire. There are an opressed people who need to be motivated by a hero to stand up to fight for themselves.

Summed up, there is adventure to be had.

And I, for one, am definately along for the ride.

6. Jainasolo101

Jainasolo101 Jedi Master star 2

Dec 23, 2007

Denna use to be good. But all mord-sith are like that. The nicest, kindest, young girls are taken by a mord-sith and trained I think through three steps. They go through pain and suffering for as long as it takes. Then they have to do somethimg their trainer tells them so they can prove themselfs mord-sith. So at one point all mord-sith were good. If I'm wrong please correct me. It's been a while since I have read Wizards First Rule. So you could kind of understand her crazy actions.

7. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I only read the first book by Terry Goodkind (Wizards First Rule) and loved it. Didn't really had the time lately to read much, but the series awoke my fondness of it, so I'm going to catch up on the books during the summer.

The series is pretty cool thus far. I'm still a few episodes behind. It doesn't really follow the book, but it is none the less well made and written. However I understand how more hardcore fans may not appreciate it.
    The actors did a nice job as well, especially the actress that portrays Kahlan, and Zed is awesome.

As somebody mentioned, they made it even a bit more similar to Star Wars than the actual book, but I don't feel it's a rip off. Ok, some points are pretty sci-fi/fantasy cliche, but they looks pretty good and have that certain hue of epicness about it.

I also love the costumes.

Denna episode was pretty good, yes, probably one of the best ones. Here I'd also include Listner and Puppeteer with Zeddicus' amazing [hl=black]conning of Darken Rahl[/hl]. :D

8. Topper_Harley

Topper_Harley Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2008
    I hope they put this on DVD, I ain't got cable.

9. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah I don't catch the channel that it plays on either. I read WFR and really liked it but never read any of the others because all my friends that read the rest of them said they really sucked. Too preachy they said.

10. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I would definitely expect the box set for the Season 1. I'm looking forward to the behind the scenes material; not only it is the amazing New Zealand, but by the looks of everything there should also be a quite funny gag reel.

11. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Yay! There is an LOTS thread! Fantastic!

The show isn't being aired here (even though it's full of Australians, and is being filmed right next door :p) But i Watched it all on youtube and it's a pretty cool show. Even if it does have Hercules-esque elements.
    It got me onto the books though which are pretty amazing!

12. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    Well comparing what I watched in season one and hwat I've read in the Wizards' FIrst Rule, they have made the show attract a wider audience and it's very clean compared to the novel. So I doubt they'll put that other stuff in if they continue the show.

13. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Apparently Disney have a 5-year plan for this one.

14. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Whoa, seriously?!? :eek: I did hear about the second season but not about this. If is is true, I'll be jumping up and down from happiness. :D

15. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I just started watching the show online a couple of weeks ago, I like it.

It doesn't help that I'm a big fan of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys though. :p

Evil.

16. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    You're bound to enjoy ep 18 then. It has been done in the good ol' Xena-ish / Hercules-ish style. ;)

17. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I never said I liked Xena. :p

But I did like Episode 18, it wasn't the best so far, but it was pretty fun. :)

Evil.

18. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Not the really new news, but something interesting to bump the thread:

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP1-WBIBO80]LOTS - Season 2 Sneak-peak[/link] :D

19. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Future Films/NSF star 7 Staff Member Manager

Aug 12, 2000
    What I've seen of this show, I've enjoyed a lot. I don't always get to catch it on do to my crazy work schedule and then forgetting that's it on. But from visiting my family I've discovered my Dad likes to record a month's worth of LOTS and watch it on a Sunday afternoon.

20. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    The show is watchable. I saw the trailer for the second seasin and I'm looking forward to it. That being said, the producers have really let the show go off from the novels to the show's detriment. Some of the episodes feel like that take place in middle earth, not the midlands.

21. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I like the show. It's a bit corny at times, but so was Herc and Xena.

One thing I don't like is all the puttering around they're doing adding episodes to extend the plot of WFR into a whole season of TV, but I'm a fan of the books and am impatient to see Cara, Ann, Nathan, Nikki, Jegang (who was three times the more effective villian than Darkan Rahl was)...In short I just want tot tell them to get a move on and quit wasting my time with unimportant filler episodes.

22. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I never got into this series, but I hope to do so eventually...

Apparently Jolene Blalock is joining the cast as a baddie for season 2! Sounds interesting!

23. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    [link=http://dadt.com/lots/]Official website[/link] gets an upgrade.

An official poster was published on the series facebook profile.

[image=http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9996/lotsseason2poster.jpg]

Can't wait to see the new season. :D

24. Bill-Thompson

Bill-Thompson Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 4, 2008
    Just finished the first season of Legend Of The Seeker. Overall I really liked it, all the elements I love from the sword and sorcery genre were present, it was suitably weird at times, captured the whole doomed love thing nicely and had some nice eye candy, for men and women naturally. It will be interesting to see where they go in the second season, and a quick check tells me that it starts in a few weeks, cool.

One thing about the show, it has very interesting subtext of sexual punishment, sexual torture and so forth. Hercules and Xena also had sexual subtext, but LOTS is very overt about it and opted for more of a sexually deviant style. Personally I like it, adds an interesting wrinkle to the show.

25. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    ...a sexually deviant style. Personally I like it....

Bill-Thompson, thank you for finally admitting what we knew all along: You're a sexual deviant. :p

In all seriousness, my wife is a huge fan of this show (and books), and now, having read your description of it, I understand why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.