main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Legends of the Force, Book 2: "Cauldron-born", 26 Chapters (OCs)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    "@Darth_Furio: I have two very sweet and kind Italian friends from my Au Pair days in Ireland. One of them suffered under a nasty Norman as much as I did many years later in a more private setting. Therefore my experiences are only positive when it comes to "bella Italia".

As a Bello Canadian of Italian decent i will agree with you absolutely. Of course there are exceptions. :p

As for the fic, I like getting a look at what makes Lucien tick. When there are characters speaking about another there's always something new to learn.

DarthUncle and AzureAngel2 like this.
  2. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    @DarthUncle: I could say a lot about your witty comments, husband, but I´d rather give you a hug in person.

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: And full of candour and emotional intensity we will move on, thanks to your hard work the past days.

@Darth_Furio: I hope you can learn a lot with the next update.

@Kahara & @earlybird-obi-wan, we go on with this fic. I don´t know if @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 is still interested. Please let me know, if you do not wish to receive a link for updates of this story.

Chapter 22:

Éibhear, who has been eavesdropping on us, is not happy, neither is any other member of the household. There is one exception though.

“She is still married to Luçien, kiddo.” Skje winds his way up from his lying position right under the midwinter tree. Up until now, he has been busy watering the tall fir. “Right now, he is the loneliest person on the planet. Everybody shuns him. No wonder that he has a weird idea of entertainment.”

Skylt, my youngest son, mumbles towards his father, “I do not believe in midwinter miracles.”

“I did not mean to blow the celebrations under this roof,” Cousin Éleos states, rather uncomfortably.

“That is very decent of you, Your Royal Highness.” There is not an inch of mockery in my lover's voice. He really means every word that he is saying. “But Sionnach had it coming, had you not, sweety? You did not see him since, yes, since Samhain. I believe there is a reason.”

I blush scarlet. Simply overwhelmed with the memory.

I feel Éleos press one of my trembling hands slightly. “There is always a new hope, Sionnach. There is still good in him. I know it.”

“When maman is going, I am going, too,” Éibhear announces proudly. “I will not leave her alone with papa.”

“Neither will I.”

The answer of Garou makes me snap my eyes open again.

“This is settled then.” Skje looks very smug, while saying thus. “Ruadhan, do you still remember the favour that I asked of you?”

The two men exchange glances. “Oh, that! Yes, there is another reason to see His Lordship.”

“Ruadhan!” curses Skje softly, hitting his own brow with his right palm. “Do not spoil the surprise!”

Before I can probe any further, Éleos has rushed to his feet. “Splendid! Grianán will be happy to see you back. She kept asking about you.”

I blink at him, uncomprehending. “Grianán?”

“She showed up about three hours ago.”

This prompts me to ask, “Pray, how is your little sister?”

“Little?” He laughed. “She has grown quite a bit since you saw her last.”

“How old is she?” I should know such things, but I tend to forget them easily.

“Eighteen, but she will turn nineteen soon.” A shadow of worry steals into his handsome features. “I did not want to mention it earlier on, but Grianán is in urgent need of a healer. Mórag did some horrible things to her.”

It is Draíocht who inquires bluntly, “What exactly did Her Holiness do?”

“Gri's got shaved off completely. Then she bares strange tattoos all over her body. What a weird way to inaugurate a priestess of Darach.”

Draíocht is puzzled, but says no more, until we bring the luggage outside and attach it to the sledge. Only then she leans in on me and speaks hastily, “Sionnach, there is something foul about it. This does not sound like a ritual of the beanmna feasa. Nor is this common as a form of punishment. Mórag might be a mad old bat, but she would not dare to distort any member of the Tjiehenet household. Not after Arcana.”

While my sons are busy preparing the team of sledge dogs for our journey, I stare into the snow. “Mysteries and lies again. They seem to pile up around Luçien, don't you think?”

The sledge dashes through the winter landscape like a falcon on swift wings. The team is eager to show their swiftness to the extra passenger we have on board.

In the aftermath, it is difficult to say which farewell has been the hardest.

Skylt had cried, clinging to my skirt.

The kisses of Skje had kindled my feelings for him.

Ciall had looked as miserable as Ruadhan.

The children of Draíocht had almost broken my heart with their saddened faces.

My best friend herself had been alert in a way that bothered me.

Instead of focusing on the negative I try to think of my reunion with the daughter of Sereno and Gwenynen. And there also will be Grianán. My royal cousin and I need to talk.

When we arrive inside the castle grounds of Dún Barr, my boys jump off the sledge immediately. They storm away in search of Luçien as if to distract him from seeing me first.

“You seem to be in need of Spiced Chai tea. Pappoú always keeps a tin box for you on one of the kitchen shelves,” Cousin Éleos suggests and turns to one of the stable boys. “Boreas, can you take care of the dogs?”

“Sure.”

The closer the young man comes, the better I can see that he is of Amnionian origin. His olive skin and black hair make that quite clear.

Encouragingly, Cousin Éleos pushes me forward.

Inside the castle kitchen, our beloved grandfather waits for us. He is too fragile to lift himself up, so he just waves at me. I rush to the bench he is sitting on and cover his face with kisses.

“Why are you down here on your own, pappoú?” the grey-robed paladin asks. “Do they use the library as their battle field again?”

I can imagine very well to whom Cousin Éleos is referring and smirk. “Let me go into the den of the wild beasts,” I suggest. “Perhaps I can bring Luçien and Isabeau back to reason.”

“No, you stay here and have tea with our pappoú. My Force knights and I will take care of it. Last time Isa and Luc started throwing books at each other. That almost caused another heart attack for pa.”

The prince storms off.

I sit down next to Grandfather Narthex. His energy lines tell me a disturbing truth. He will not survive the night. It does not matter what I do. His time has come. There is no way around it. “Care for some fresh tea?” I smile bravely.

He winks at me. “How kind of you to spend your day with an old man.”

“You are not that old.”

I do not remember how long I sit on that kitchen bench or what I tell him. Grandfather Narthex just goes on smiling, basking in my attention.

“Nonno!” says a small voice when the evening shadows sneak inside the kitchen. Grand-father.

My eyes fill with tears at the sight of my dear cousin. It is indeed as bad as Cousin Éleos has described, even worse. Somebody has destroyed his sister's beauty. It is a small solace that her inner light still shines unaltered.

“Grianán,” Grandfather Narthex says in a slow voice. “I fear it's time.”

“Then please, allow Sionnach and me to bring you to your room.”

Together, we walk our beloved grandfather upstairs to his chamber. We get him into his night gown and helped him to lie down.

“Twilight is upon me, and soon night must fall,” he announces. “Please open the window!”

Despite my wooden leg, I rush to fulfil the given task.

Grianán places a slow kiss on his deeply lined forehead. “Mama and nonna will wait for you on the other side.”

“I am grateful to have known you, child.” Love shimmers in his brown eyes. “And you, Sionnach. Together you two will all make well.”

With that, Grandfather Narthex closes his eyes, for good.

Holding hands, we remain standing in front of his bed.

After a little eternity, I find my voice again. “I will just speak about this once and then never again, Cousin. Who did this to you?”

Her breath is soft and even. “You already carry the answer inside you.”

Then it is indeed as bad as I have feared.

Around midnight, Éleos comes in to check on Grandfather Narthex. “Sionnach, here you are! Your sons were worried. Grianán, what...?”

The young woman radiates serenity. With a friendly voice she addresses her elder brother, “Please call in your guards to have the traditional wake! But quietly. I would not advice to wake any family members before the morning! Let Isa know when she is awake! Tell her I was with him to the last!”

Éleos wipes some tears from the corners of his eyes. “You do not wish Isa to know that Sionnach was with you?”

“She would only get annoyed that I did not call her instead.”

“As you wish.” He hugs us both.

“I will spend the night with Grianán, if she consents to that.” I do not feel like facing Luçien tonight. “Is there any way that you can let my sons know, Éleos?”

“Valiant!” he calls out calmly.

An elegant Lidérc male, a half-blood like Isabeau and Luçien, opens the door. “Yes, please?”

“I want you to wake up your honoured cousin and tell him that Her Ladyship is on a healer's errant for me. There was no way to inform him until now. Sionnach is not to be disturbed by him under any circumstances.”

The guard smiles maliciously. “Bon. That is a very good assignment. He will love that.”

Cousin Grianán leads me through the dark castle. Nobody holds us back or bothered us in any way. All the corridors and staircases are empty.

The air smells of mead and hot wine punch.

Despite all I have to smile.

On the last celebration day of midwinter, there is always a lot of heavy drinking. Some traditions never changed.

When Cousin Grianán closes the room of her chamber behind her, I have to laugh sheepishly. “I feel like doing something forbidden.”

Within a short time we lie next to each other in our night gowns, radiating relief. There is no need to speak. We just hold one another like sisters would.

Sleep claims Cousin Grianán long before it gets to me. Therefore she is not able to see the dark shade with mesmerizing cat eyes that appears next to the bed.

My fingers find the spot where I can paralyse my cousin without harming her.

“If you do not vanish right now,” I whisper vehemently, “I call the guards to get you out of this room.”

“You cannot be that quick!” Luçien assures me.

My right index finger collides with his massive chest. “I am here because Narthex died tonight. Grianán and I helped him to cross over in peace. You would not even grant him a warm place in the library earlier on.”

A knock sounds from the door. “Gri? Sionnach? Are you well?”

The moment Luçien recognizes Cousin Éleos' voice he is gone. There is not even a brief flicker in the Force when he dematerialises.

I leap for the door.

The next two days prove to be rather difficult. Some family members have great difficulties dealing with the sudden death of Narthex.

Heulwen cannot stop crying. Not even my sons can comfort her. “I want him back!” she sniffs from dusk until dawn, getting a hiccup from it.

I stay away from all the drama going on and join Cousin Grianán instead. A fact that does not escape Luçien, nor his scrutiny.

“What do you want to achieve here?” Luçien bellows one morning, when I stand in front of my wardrobe. I just sneaked in for some fresh clothing, which is obviously a grave mistake.

“Jealous that Princess Grianán finds me trustworthy?” My eyes are as hard as steal. “I wonder why that is?”

He steps back, somewhat sobered by my behaviour. “She was at the wrong place as usual. With a particular bad timing.”

That is the wrong answer.

In disgust, I leave the room.

Luçien does not follow me, obviously too busy with his own contradict feelings.

The real trouble starts one evening with Heulwen missing. Not willing to upset her many guests, the Holy Consort locks herself inside the library. A bunch of secret service agents is with her.

“I have a bad feeling about this,” I let Cousin Grianán know, when I join her in front of the office.

“It is indeed a nightmare,” she confirms without turning around, her voice low and somewhat forlorn. “Amnion's flight control fired at the ship. Heulwen vanished from their radars, just to show up with burning engines above for a brief moment above Montségur.”

“Montségur?” My face grows grey to hear. “You mean she eventually crashed down on Sapuhru?”

We can only jump aside, when the double doors suddenly open.

Cousin Grianán disappears into the twilight of the Force, while Marquise Isabeau Riwalan looks at me with big and surprised eyes.

“This ring lost its meaning for me.” Before I even know what I am doing my heart has decided. “Take it, Your Majesty! It can help you on Sapuhru. It is his coat of arms. I see that you recognize it.”

The Holy Consort takes the ring from me wordlessly. I say no more either, turn on my heels and go straight to my chambers, packing.

There is no need to explain to my sons why I want to return to the langhùs immediately. Children are always aware of the marriage problems of their parents. With swift fingers Éibhear and Garou assist me to pack my belongings. More than once my thoughts wander off from my actual task.

Marquise Riwalan and I never were close, but we at least we held a deep mutual respect for one another. The thought that she might be eliminated any time soon is too dreadful to bear.

“Maman,” Éibhear addresses me gently. “The law is the law.”

I give my first-born an exasperated glance. “But she is his step-sister. I thought he still loves her.”

“Again,” he repeats. “The law is the law. Especially on the soil of Sapuruh.”

“I wish your father was less law-abiding, less blind-sighted,” I mumble, hugging myself.

“Luçien is who he is.”

Once more, Éibhear calls his foster-father by his given name. I cannot help to ask myself what has occurred between the two of them. It must be more than the death sentence for Marquise Riwalan.

For a moment, my son considers hard what to say next. His eyes turn into thoughtful slits. When he speaks again, his voice sounds strangely cold. “Grand-mère Flor once took me hunting with her. That night she taught me that you never must give a name to an animal marked for slaughter.”

Bewildered, I stare at him.

Garou goes on packing, as if nothing of great consequence was just said.

“She also made it clear to me that you avoid eye contact with your prey at any cost. That you have to shield away yourself from any glimpse of affection. And you know why that is, maman?”

Dumbstruck, I shake my head.

“When a beast trusts you, it takes far more resolve to cut its throat.”

My mouth is strangely dry.

Luçien never likes to speak about his childhood. Now it begins to dawn to me why that is. But mostly I am annoyed with myself. I have misjudged Flor and her feelings for her only son completely.

Cousin Éleos shows up with some of his paladins in tow when we are already at the royal stables. Éibhear and Garou get our dog team ready for departure while I load our luggage into the sledge.

“Do you happen to know where Grianán is?” The worry in the paladin's eyes is unmistakable.

“I am afraid that I do not,” I reply full of honest regret. “But, do you, by any chance, know about Luçien's whereabouts?”

My question falls on him like an anvil. Gravely, he shakes his head.

“He never came back in last night,” I continue. “Is he already hunting down Isabeau?”

Cousin Éleos takes a deep breath, letting it go slowly. Finally, he speaks again. His voice sounds more husky then before. “As far as I know His Lordship went fox hunting with Draň yesterday morning. They never came back.”

I do have no time to ponder on this answer because somebody tugs at the sleeve of my travel cloak.

“Perhaps we had better stay here until this crisis is over, maman,” Garou pipes up. “Rune will understand.”

Before I can answer my son, a secret service agent slides in. She has the grace of a temple dancer. A soft blue rules her aura, radiating peacefulness and clarity. There are no insignia on her grey uniform whatsoever. Gold yellow hair falls in soft waves over her shoulders. She rather thin and bony. I think she cannot be older than eighteen or nineteen.

“Mora,” Cousin Éleos addresses her sharply. “What is going on? Are you involved in this as well?”

The agent ignores my cousin and walks straight up to me. “Milady,” she says in a pleasant voice. Her right hand slides into her uniform jacket and hands me a sealed letter. Only now I notice her disturbingly lime green eyes. Old earth magic.

Frowning, I break the wax open and start reading. The words make no sense. Nothing makes sense any more. My legs feel disconnected from my body. I hold on to the sledge with one hand. “Éleos?” I yelp.

“What is it?”

Tears well in my eyes. “You better read this aloud.”

Cousin Éleos snatches the letter away from me. His mouth opens and then, with a strangled sound the parchment sails onto the thatched floor.

Impatient, Éibhear takes matters into his own hands. “My dearest cousin Sionnach,” he reads. “Luçien and I are not able to hide our love any more. We eloped. Ask...”

“Is that true, Mora?” Éleos thunders, silencing my son.

The woman shrugs. “I am not your sister's keeper.”

“But you are one of her best childhood friends. Tell me what she is up to! You know, don't you?”

The heels of her high military boots click together. “I humbly take my leave of you, my prince!”

Frowning, I watch the agent walk away. I am sure that I have seen her many times before. Not only here at Dún Barr, but also at the Holy Isle of Cunabula. But not once I have her spotted her in Grianán's direct company. My cousin seems to be very secretive of her private life and her relationships.

Outside the royal stables, an elderly gentleman approaches Cousin Èleos and me. It is the High Chamberlain of Dún Barr. “Lady Ankoù, Your Royal Highness,” he greets us with a deep and reverent bow.

Cousin Éleos inclines his head to him. “George.”

“One of the scullery maids brought this to my attention a couple of days ago.”

The High Chamberlain produces a piece of paper that is burned around the edges. He unfolds it. I stare at a pencil sketch, showing a sleeping Grianán in her nightgown.

“Why now?” I ask.

He rewards me with a sad smile. “To be discreet is one thing. To restore the mental happiness of this family is another.”

“You fought hard with yourself. Weighing the options carefully. No wonder you look so tired.” Cousin Èleos shakes his head. “I should have noticed earlier.”

The elderly man looks flustered and changes the subject immediately. “I have been looking at this sketch since Her Royal Highness and His Lordship are gone. And I could not help thinking... that... that this here is the artwork of a person in love and uncertain of his feelings.”

With that, the High Chamberlain presses a sheet of paper into my hands and walks away.

Until now I have not even known that Luçien can draw like this. I hold my eyes fixed on the fine pencil lines of Grianán's figure. The deep affection that the High Chamberlain just has spoken of can clearly be seen.

“Let us show this to my siblings, shall we?” Cousin Èleos suggests. His mood has somewhat improved, but I still sense his nervousness underneath. He tries to make sense of the ongoing developments as much as I do.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    DarthUncle and Kahara like this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Poignant with the passing of Narthex and much goings-on with Grianan and secret connections come to light. [face_thinking]

DarthUncle, Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  4. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    *De-lurks* I'm still here! I'd forgotten that Grianan ran off to marry Lucien.

DarthUncle, AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Narthex was a beloved character

6. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Secrets are seldom a good thing in the SW universe. Especially between lovers and/ or family members. :D

@Cowgirl Jedi 1701: I wish it was that simple, dearie! But it´s not. I fear you have to read on very, very carefully. [face_nail_biting]

@earlybird-obi-wan: Thanks for saying so! [face_blush]

Okay, here is more. Perhaps even @Darth_Furio will race in here for reading it. ;) And my husband @DarthUncle might even stop binging "The Orville"... :p

Hum, perhaps I might even be allowed to notify @Kahara who always leaves a like.

Chapter 23:

Entwined like tendrils in the Mother Jungle, my royal cousins half lie, half sit in front of the chimney. This sight makes me smile despite what has occurred the past hours. Love is in the air, clear and undeniable. The dark side has not won yet. This family is still functional.

Cousin Èleos and I arrive in the middle of a lively speech by Cousin Jocus. “Fou, fou, l’amour est fou.” He grins. “Crazy, crazy, love is crazy. Our Gri always has been on the loony side. She will be the perfect match for the Vicomte.”

Cousin Baldita raises her wine glass to a toast. “Cheerio to that!”

“As long as he does not break the bones of his bride-to-be, I will remain content and happy,” adds Cousin Rubio.

“His Lordship is more known to be a heart breaker,” reasons Cousin Jocus, swinging his glass carefree. “Think of little Heulwen.”

Grim determination sets into the features of Cousin Calathus. “If he hurts our Gri in any way, I will finish this dirty tom cat off.”

My gaze wanders on, scanning the library further.

Cousin Daná, Uncle Agathos and Cousin Caelestris are nowhere to be seen. Instead, I spot Boreas Kyrene on the second level of the library. He is deep in conversation with somebody who is hidden between the shelves. I do not recognize the aura of that person. The orange-yellow colours stand for creativity, intelligence and detail orientation. Whoever that person is, it’s clearly a perfectionist and scientist.

Without context, Cousin Èleos starts speaking. “I am not a clairvoyant like Isa. Besides, it is very difficult to predict the behaviour of a man like Ankoù.”

“Hear, hear!” exclaims Cousin Jocus. “But now get to the point, bro. You are holding back here.”

“I do not believe that Isa can escape the situation on Sapuhru alive, even if she manages to find our Heulwen.” Deep sorrow is written all over Cousin Èleos’ face. “If the worst case scenario should occur, we should not hold Vicomte Ankoù responsible for her death. Harsh as this may sound, she had it coming. A death mark needs to be obeyed.”

Cousin Baldita raises her brows slightly. They are a burnished gold, almost bronze. “So your order is: protect and stand still? You should discuss that one with Ce.”

“Dita, the fate of the House Ankoù and this planet rest in Gri’s hands. If she has mercy on the Vicomte, then we can afford to show him mercy, too.”

“So you let them have this wedding?” Cousin Calathus makes a face, somewhat aghast. “Just like that?”

“Our sweet sister has eloped with him, Cal. We are too late to interfere here. They might have consumed the marriage already.”

I blush, hearing that.

Cousin Calathus gets up and immediately crosses his arms in front of his chest. “I still do not buy that. Sorry, Eli. There is something very wrong here. She would not choose a paranoid tyrant. And certainly not a religious fanatic.”

Thoughtfully, I take out the drawing again, lean against one of the book shelves. With my index finger I carefully stroke over the rough drawing paper.
    Cousin Grianán looks so fragile in the sketch. Like some fairy tale princess made to suffer. Lying unconscious in a dragon’s lair. Or being imprisoned in some high dark tower.

Has Luçien really drawn this in her presence? Perhaps he just soaked the moment in and did that sketch later on in his own chambers, relishing in the memory of it.

“Can I have that?” Cousin Calathus asks straight into my left ear, startling me.

I give him the sheet, my hands still shaky with fright.

He studies the sketch for a long time before he holds it up. “Is Ankoù truly in love with our sister? Can it really be? Or is he but her stalker?”

Cousin Baldita shakes her head vehemently. “Then his motive would not be genuine love, but dark obsession.”

“Correct.”

A nervous silence settles over the library.

It is Cousin Jocus who breaks it. “Nay. Our Gri only would go for true love. Have a look into her favourite love novels, any of them. The answer jumps straight at you.”

“What about the darker books about damsels in distress? She also likes those. You all know it to be true,” Cousin Calathus sighs. “Women threatened by some powerful, impulsive, tyrannical male.”

“Normally, our sister is too cheerful to be screaming around or sobbing profoundly. Let alone to faint,” his nest brother voices. “Gri is also not some dull character in a book.”

Feeling watched all of a sudden, I rise my head to the upper level. A pair of emerald green eyes looks down on me expectantly. The face of the woman rings no bell whatsoever. She is about the same age as the first serpent spawn. I can see she wears a uniform of the secret service, in which she holds herself with the pride of a god queen.

Our eyes remain locked, until the stranger turns away and leaves the library through a side entrance.

Not much later, I sit at my desk and compose a brief letter to Draíocht, saying that my presence is still required at the royal court. Instead of losing myself in long explanations, I decide to attach Éibhear himself to the message.

“I expect you to tell nothing but the truth,” I say.

My firstborn nods before he kisses me good-bye in the Lidérc way: two kisses on each cheek. “I will give Rune all your love.”

The mentioning of my youngest makes my heart ache. Due to the farce that Luçien forces on us, I have not seen much of the boy lately.

“Maman, Rune knows that you care for him a big deal,” Éibhear states somewhat impatient and ogles the door.

I bite my lip. “I will make it up to him.”

“Luçien better make it up to him.” He looks at me, and his eyes seem lit like blue fires from within.

My mother instinct makes me open my arms and reach out for him. First, he fights my embrace, but then he sobs heart-rendering and tumbles against me, face pressed against my chest. Soon his tears soak into the fabric of my dress.

“Did you fight, the two of you?” I ask when I believe that his shudders are less powerful.

“No, but we will,” he hicks.

“Because of your Aunt Isabeau?”

“No, this is about Aunt Grianán only.” He pushes away from me and, with much regret, I let him go. His long lashes cast strange shadows on his milk-white cheeks. “I wish for her that... that he has the resolve to cut her throat when it matters. Otherwise he will prolong her suffering.”

“What suffering?” I inquire straight away. “Is she ill?”

“Please do not ask me any more questions, maman!” He focuses his haunted eyes on me. “I already said too much!”

With that, Éibhear storms out of my chambers, almost falling over his own feet. There is no point of running after him. That would make matters worse. Whether I like it or not, I must give my son the time and space that he needs.

I start to make myself ready for bed.

Teasingly, his warm breath blows against my neck, waking me up. His big hands rub my shoulders. I do not mind Skje doing all that, so I let him slide up behind me.

To my astonishment, he is fully dressed, trousers and all. But at least he has taken off his boots and he smells of lye soap. I suspected him not to be in his working clothes right now, yet there is the faint scent of hay, copper and animals. It lingers in his shoulder-length hair that he likes to bind into a ponytail. At present the hair band is not properly in place, because a curtain of hair falls over my face.

I produce a muffled sound of protest.

“Ursäkta mig,” he mumbles and fixes the problem immediately. I beg you pardon.

I smile into my pillow.

My official husband and Skje are like night and day. The latter produces sweet honest excuses, even about little vanities. He cares for the people around him, makes them part of his life. There is not a bone of malice in him.

We end up with his right hand resting on my right thigh, his entire front snuggled against my back and legs.

I am already dozing off again, when it occurs to me that something is very wrong.

“You are not supposed to be here!” I shriek and struggle out of his embrace.

“Shush now!” Skje sounds taken aback, but not cross. “All is well!”

“Luçien will kill you when you finds you in this bed with me!” I cry into the darkness around us.

“Sionnach, the Vicomte is far, far away from here. Busy with Princessa Grianán. Hopefully in a healthy way. And honestly, I think he could not care less what you are up to with me.”

“No!” I wail. “He could take your head! Or worse!”

He sighs, then the words rumble out of him like an avalanche coming down the mountain. “I don’t wanna do this any more, Sionnach! When he is back with us, I will not shut up. It is bad enough that he turned you into somebody so frightened and passive.”

I cannot believe my ears. “Frightened? Passive? Me?”

He sits up, letting go of me. “I will not put up with it any longer.”

“Skje!” I yelp.

He jumps out of bed and makes his way towards the door. “There must be something I can do!”

I stagger behind him. “Please don’t go like that!” I beg.

“Luçien will set you free! I will take care of that!”

He opens the chamber door and is out in the corridor before I can stop him.

Tears are streaming over my face, when I hold on to the door frame.

“Hi there!” says a sympathetic voice.

Cousin Daná is leaning against the opposite wall.

“Was there anything wrong with the midnight snack that I sent in for you, Sio?”

Perplexed, I blink at the god queen in waiting. “You let Skje in?” I get out, each word weighing as much as an entire mountain.

“I bloody well did,” she confirms. “Ankoù does not run the show around here. That leaves you to have some fun once in a while.”

“But...” I start.

She walks towards me, furious and her index finger outstretched. “How long are you together with Skje?”

“I...”

“How long?” she repeats, a bit calmer, but as if she is talking to a retarded child.

“Sixteen years.”

“In the Name of the Force, make something out of it, instead of fearing your own shadow!”

I do not know what to say.

“Okay, Sio, I will try to use simple words only.” She glares into my eyes, her own alight with exhaustion. “This entire castle belongs to the Tjiehenet family. You are one of us. Act like it!”

Before I can ask how, she moves on speaking.

“Bide within the Law you must, in perfect Love and perfect Trust.
    Live you must and let to live, fairly take and fairly give.”

For the rest of the night, I sleep badly. I am only tossing and turning around in my monstrous canopy bed. Too many things are on my mind and I miss the langhús with its cosy arrangements.

Early in the morning, a servant knocks at my chamber door. He announces that I have visitors from Ceilonwyn.

“Draíocht?” I wonder aloud.

“Actually Mistress Mössa brought her entire clan along,” the old man replies with a smile. “Young Master Ankoù is with them.”

“Eibhéar,” I blink in surprise.

“Yes, milady. He is back again. But there is no need to worry. They are all well.” His smile widens. “Master Aletheia decided to host them in the library. It is much more cosy in there than in the dining-room."

Not caring to get properly dressed, I follow him immediately through the castle corridors.

When in a haste, Dún Barr can be a painfully big place. Entire centuries seem to pass by until I am able to reach the royal library. My heart is in my mouth when I can finally press the door handles down. With a gasp I push the giant folding doors open.

They are all in here, my two families. Scattered between them are the traces of a generous Highland breakfast. But what really catches my curiosity are the washing bowls and used towels. The water is deep black. There is also the faint smell of burned wood. And I can tell that it is not coming from the chimney.

“What happened?” I ask, tugging my morning robe tighter around me as I step towards them.

“Taran,” snaps Ciall, dressed in a fluffy towel only. This way I can see all his scars and mutilations fairly well.

“That crazy, old werewolf put my house on fire,” Draíocht shrieks. “It burned down to the ground.”

The langhús is no more. My heart makes a pang. But not due to the house. “You did not kill the commander, did you?” I inquire, my voice thin.

“Ruadhan would never forgive me such a deed. I injured him though.”

I spot Garou, who looks stricken at the revelation. The peaks of his Elfin ears sink down visibly. I cannot explain it, but I sense he cares deeply for the mad were warrior.

“Gun Dragh, mo leannan,” I hear Ciall coo as he kisses Draíocht’s shaky hands. No worries, my love!

“Another wedding!” Garou cheers and claps his hands together.

“Who else is getting married apart from us?” Ciall asks baffled.

“Boreas and Daná,” my son beams. “Aunt Isabeau decreed that before she flew off to Sapuhru to rescue Heulwen.”

Before my patchwork family has time to ponder on this revelation, Rune adds somewhat maliciously, “And Luçien obviously has wedding plans as well. In full Lidérc bride kidnapping style. Grianán is missing.”

“He couldn’t have!” Draíocht jumps out of her arm chair, knocking down a nearby side table plus the tea tray on it. “He would not dare! Not her, of all women possible.”

“Just because he is married to my mother?” There is deep revulsion in the face of my youngest son. “You know when this dirty tomcat wants something, he simply takes it. People’s lives, innocent girls – name it.”

I always had known that Rune disliked Luçien, but I had no idea that his loathing went this deep.

“Where is Mora?” Cousin Dána explodes and turns towards her elder brother Éleos. “She sanctioned that drama. I am sure she did.”

“You have no proof that we are dealing with actual bridal kidnapping here,” he answers.

Out of the corner of my eye, I can see that Uncle Agathos turns away from us all and walks towards the main window. He clasps his hands behind his back and stares into the surrounding mountaintops. I can tell by his shoulders that he is very tense. Even though he is in plain sight, he is hiding.

I concentrate on Draíocht again. “Where is Rudhan?”

“On an errand with Skje.” Her mouth curls sourly. “They would not tell us where they are heading to. We were not really in the mood to wait for them. I left a note at the outdoor toilet, saying, we are here at the castle.”

In the late afternoon, I am called to the nursery of Dùn Barr. It lies in the West Tower. Due to the large glass windows with colourful fairy tale ornaments its a somewhat enchanted place. Unicorns, dragons and winged fairies dance a timeless dance, their transparent bodies gleaming in the late afternoon sun.

The entire room is held in bright pastel colours, soothing the eyes of the beholder. It has thick and soft carpets. There are low shelves with wicker baskets in them, loaded with wooden toys, precious puppets and other niceties like an entire infantry of rocking horses.

I have been up here once when I had been in search of my boys. I had found them frolicsome with Heulwen. Today the entire scenery has a more eerie quality to it. No children are present. A musical clock plays continually. It is a lullaby that I happen to know very well.

“Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
    How I wonder what you are!
    Up above the world so high,
    Like a diamond in the sky!
    Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
    How I wonder what you are!”

Suddenly, I spot a pair of naked feet behind a large toy box. I count twelve toes. With a shriek I rush forward.

Like a discarded doll, Cousin Caelestris lies on a carpet with her eyes wide open. Her face unbelievably pale. Touching her feels like the inspection of a corpse. Her energy level is wrong. Metabolism and breathing have been slowed down to a hair of being standstill. It is almost like shock-frosting meat in an ice cellar.

“A Force trance,” I mumble to myself. “But not self-inflicted.”

Just when I begin to investigate her skull, I hear the door open.

“Sionnach, what is the matter?” Cousin Èleos asks me rather puzzled.

“A servant girl told me that you want to see me in here.”

“Really?” His confusion grows. “I just received a note that you want to meet me here.”

I have more important matters to attend to than finding out who is playing treasure hunt with us. “There is something amiss with Caelestris’ brain tissue, especially in the area of the frontal lobe,” I explain hastily. “Where healthy synapses should be, torn ends are showing. Memories have been removed in a most clumsy way, more than once.

“Who is responsible for that massacre in her head?” Cousin Èleos clips out.

An ugly idea rushes into my mind. There is a person who can manipulate body and mind. A Force healer who compromises his trade all the time. Who has chosen anger and violence to be his source of power. “Luçien, I reckon. Only he could be so bold,” I decide aloud. “But let us discuss over misgivings later.”

The humanoid brain is the most complex organ in the body, and perhaps its most remarkable. With one hundred billion nerve cells, the complexity of that organ is mind-boggling. It has many parts, each of which is responsible for particular body functions.

“Her brain patterns are messy, especially in the frontal lobe,” I murmur. “No wonder that she was moody and unpredictable recently.”

With my own consciousness, I dive deep into the cerebral cortex with all its various lobes. For now I am interested only in the frontal lobe. Here executive functions take place. These are activities like thinking, organizing, planning, and problem solving. But also memory, attention, and movement come together.

“As far as I can see it, Luçien tried to cover up how ill the crown princess really is,” I conclude in a calm manner. “I cannot replace her memories, but I think that I can repair and undo some of the harm that was done to her brain tissue.”

Cousin Èleos listens to me very intensely. His breathing is shallow and slow. “May I stay? Ce might need another familiar face when she wakes up from her Force trance.”

I nod while light spreads between my fingers, blue and white with a flicker of green life force.

While two paladins carry Cousin Caelestris away on a stretcher, I lean my brow against one of the windows. The glass surface is cool and smooth. Right now, I feel unbelievably weak, yet cheerful.

My patient will wake up from her trance in due time. New synapses are growing by themselves already. She will be a happier and more balanced person again, though slightly altered.

Somebody touches my shoulder.

I slowly turn to meet Cousin Èleos’ gaze. He smiles as I draw near. It is a beautiful smile, calm and serene. He winks. “Let us have some tea, shall we?”

Tea time, the usual approach for problem solving here in the Northern Hemisphere.

I fling my arms around his neck. He does not flinch or falter, only holds me in his arms. I bury my face against the shoulder of his paladin robe for a very long moment. He squeezes me in warm sympathy. At a point he kisses my temple and lets go of me again.

A question forms in the back of my mind as I gaze into his grass green eyes. “How do you fare?”

He does not hesitate. “A part of me wants to harm the Vicomte in bad ways.”

“How bad?”

“Very bad,” he whispers. His usually lovely voice drips poison.

“You are only human,” I add for consideration.

He laughs a mirthless laugh. “I am only partly human, dearest cousin.” A shadow falls over his face. Outside the sun is setting, gliding over the landscape. Twilight settles into the nursery. “But I know what you mean,” he moves on. “I am so much more than an animal surviving on its sheer instincts. I am capable of empathy, logic and mercy.”

I reach out and brush a stray lock of his hair from his brow. “On top of all you are a Force knight, a paladin. You volunteered to serve the ways of the Force some time ago.”

He tilts his head, fleeing sunlight spinning the shining length of his hair. “Indeed I did. Thanks for reminding me.”

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    DarthUncle likes this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Fascinating developments with Caelestris =D=

8. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    "The mentioning of my youngest makes my heart ache. Due to the farce that Luçien forces on us, I have not seen much of the boy lately."

Lucien is tough on all of his family it seems. :p

9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    great post as always

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  10. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    What he said.

11. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    Oh Luçien, what tragedy have you let come to pass now; no doubt protecting someone to the point of folly and harm to someone else,and because you are bad at admitting mistakes and asking for help before it is just about too late. Not just Celestris, but potentially with Grianan too.

And, by the way, might have occurred to you to find a way to get Sionnach freed without her and her gathering of friends and family having to force you into it! But, she has been a bit passive in that matter herself too, maybe because of the children, maybe too in a need if keeping that connection to their shared past, and reluctance to cut him loose and give up on him.

Loved the interactions between her and Eleos in these last few updates, she's such a warm, giving, without losing herself, healing, person. Great that she can help minimize some of the damage done here.

And her living kids are great too, feel like a warm, caring, good presence, despite their youth and Luçiens presence, for though he had a lot of good fatherhood in him that he shared with them (especially Eibar), they clearly know a lot about his actions, and his blindness to the darkness he leaks.

Great update [:D]:cool:

12. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: And also very disturbing.

@Darth_Furio: Ah well, Darksiders. Always concentrating on power and personal growth. Not family issues, love and friendship.

@earlybird-obi-wan: Thanks, dear bird!

@Cowgirl Jedi 1701: Thanks for reading and commenting!

@DarthUncle: Eloquent comment as usual, errand husband. Greetings from the person whose phone got stolen, who has a leak in the bathroom plus construction work going on and a very stressful job at present, that will either make her daft or mad. Perhaps both.

Okay, finally after a lot of stressful RL events plus the 2nd anniversary of my former best friend´s death, an update. Perhaps also for @Kahara to read.

Chapter 24:

Instead of taking me to the dining-room, Cousin Èleos brings me to the kitchen. I appreciate that. Down here I feel more in my element. Fires are burning, cookery pots bubble cheerfully and the air is full of interesting odours.

We have scones with whipped cream and lemon curd. There is also black tea with milk and sugar.

The dark side feeds on negative emotions like a parasite. Therefore it is nice, that Cousin Èleos gives his utmost to seek moments of happiness in the small pleasures of daily life.

With every slip of tea that I take clarity settles in me and my thoughts are less frozen by terror.

I start looking around, scanning my surroundings and the people in it carefully.

Even though the servants are busy as bees, I cannot help feeling watched by them. Their looks are sorrowful, uncertain. Are they also part of this bewildering plot? Or do they have a different agenda altogether?

While we are munching on more scones, Malm enters the kitchen in his working clothes. His aquamarine coloured eyes are inquiring.

“Kan jag hjälpa dig?” I produce warm, welcoming smile. Can I help you?

“Vi måste snacka. Kom med mig!” he scowls like a tired grizzly bear. His face is flushed underneath his dense beard. We need to talk. Come with me!

Cousin Èleos gives me an encouraging nod. “You better join this good man, Sionnach. I will investigate matters elsewhere.”

“Tack så mycket!” Malm says to him and throws a withering glance around. Thank you very much.

Chéf Norn looks on edge when we leave and so does Nathalie, the senior housekeeper of Dún Barr.

There is indeed some sort of conspiracy going on, but I am not sure whether it is about Cousin Caelestris or her younger sister Grianán.

The castle grounds look empty and desolate. There is something weird in the air. I just cannot put my finger on it. Somehow I am missing some very important connections. That is the only certainty that I have.

When we finally reach his little kingdom, Malm bars the door of the smithy and locks us in. “Äntligen ensamma! Vi sitter bland oss själva,” he sighs full of relief. Alone at last! There is no-one here but ourselves.

There is a little stool close to the open hearth. I make myself comfortable on it, enjoying the heat from the gleaming coals.

Malm takes another stool and pulls it close to mine. From the setting of his shoulders I can tell how tense he is. He even switches into Basic.

Princessa Grianán was in here on the day she vanished.”

He has my full attention now.

“She was actually looking for you and while she chatted along, she touched some of my tools playfully. I did not mind that. Since Polysýndeton she has those restless hands. People who know her better, notice that very quickly.”

I know of the illness that he describes. Except it is not illness. It is her hands retrieving memories from the surfaces represented to her.

“Anyway, within the blink of an eye the princessa became angry. I have never seen her like this before. She almost frightened me.” A note of sorrow sings in his voice. “It was like looking at her mother, if you know what I mean.”

Despite the warmth around me, goosebumps form all over my skin. The dark side had spoken through Cousin Grianán. There even had been visible marks all over her face.

“The princessa left the smithy immediately, but not empty handed.”

My heart bangs loud against my chest, almost forcing the ribs apart. “What did she take?”

“A poker, my hammer and one of the branding irons for horses.”

Pain explodes behind my brow, dances from synapse to synapse. “I need some fresh air,” I say hoarsely, feeling unbelievably sick all of a sudden.

My skull hums from intense pressure while I stumble over the inner yard. When I pass the half open stable doors, I cannot help but hear Cousin Èleos shouting at somebody.

“He took what was his by eternal right? Stai scherzando! Questa non la bevo.

“Live with it,” comes the quiet answer. I neither recognize the female speaker nor her angry aura. It shows muddied red with dark blue spots. “Some people are meant to be together. It is written in the stars.”

“Stars, Luna? It is more a phenomenon called star crossed lovers. You mix things up here.”

“You would not recognize true love even if it would hit you straight in the face, Eli!”

“Attachment is not helpful for a servant of the Force.”

Politely, I back away. I should not eavesdrop on lovers, for that is what they are.

I always have felt that Cousin Èleos had a secret, that there was some inner conflict.

There is something that I should remember, but I cannot.

I glance upwards to the tower that holds the family chambers of the castle.

The pain level inside my brain swells and swells. I fear that my brow is going to crack apart any time soon. Normally, I do not suffer from migraine attacks.

Via the kitchen, I enter the castle, keen to ask Chéf Norn for a glass of ice water or a wet cloth to put on my eyes for a while.

A woman, wearing a tight secret service uniform, sits at the staff table. It is the one that Cousin Èleos referred to as Mora. As I step closer, I can see that her mouth is smeared with chocolate. A large plate stands in front of her.

My stomach almost turns at the sight of the chapulines. Throughout the River Valley of Cunabula those roasted grasshoppers are regarded as a quick snack.

“Good evening,” I say.

Hastily, the agent cleans her lips with the back of her hand and pushes the plate away from her. She rises formally. “Lady Ankoù.”

“And I have the honour to meet with Mora?”

She nods. “Doctor Mora Clementia Hemutiu, Chief of the Suspect Behaviour Unit.”

I blink at this unexpected revelation. “Why are you waiting for me? Are there not more important people to talk to at present?”

“No, not really. I am just here for some damage control.” She laughs heartily. “Gri likes to do things her way, which is not always easy for her surroundings.”

“None of her actions makes sense to me,” I complain about my royal cousin.

“I have known Gri my entire life and believe me, she was always thus. A whirlwind of activity.” Doctor Hemutiu winks at me. “You get used to...”

The kitchen door opens with a loud bang.

Cousin Dána storms in, swinging a slender blade. Her aura is that of a dangerous thunder storm. The dark colours reign. “Traitor” she shouts.

Doctor Hemutiu remains seated. I cannot even see her twitch. Her right hand is slightly elevated, the palm turned outwards. I can tell that she is doing the Gesture of Fearlessness. “I am not part of a palace revolution, PD.”

“Oh, I am not so sure, after what you pulled.”

In one swift movement, the curved blade is dangerously close to the throat of the agent. Cousin Daná looks gaunt, haunted even.

Chéf Norn comes running, her skirts flying and her face full of indignation. To my surprise, she starts attacking the royal princess with a frying pan. “Farðu!” she shrieks over and over again. Be gone!

Doctor Hemutiu holds up a hand which causes the elderly cook to stop. “If it pleases Her Divine Majesty to see me chained up, Noni, then let her do it by all means.” Her voice remains firm and calm like a river that knows its course. “There are five rules of anger management. First: Acknowledge...”

“Shut up!” Cousin Daná demands. “Ce has been lying in the nursery for hours. With her head smashed in by bloody Ankoù.”

“Be truthful, PD!” Slow and purposeful, the agent’s hands shift into the Vitaka mudra – the Gesture of Debate. “The Vicomte did not harm your sister this way.”

“Her mind is broken. She is unfit to rule this planet. Guess who is forced to take the damned snake crown now. I never wanted that. You owe me now.” Cousin Daná shivers visibly and so does the weapon she clutches on to. “Tell me about his dark matters.”

Doctor Hemutiu looks at her blankly.

“What sick stuff is Ankoù into? Is he a delusional stalker? An erotomaniac?”

There is still no answer.

“Come on! Be a good profiler! The treasury pays you for it.”

The point of the blade cuts lightly into tender skin, making it bleed.

“You already did a private valuation on him. Do not deny that! Gri is the apple of your eye.”

“May the Ancient Mother protect you from further harm.” The agent smiles with remarkable sweetness. “Your eyes have a tint of yellow fire. I hope for your sake that this is still mostly you speaking and not just the dark side.”

“I am nobody’s plaything,” Cousin Daná says acidly. “Never was, never will be.”

“Arrogance leads to the dark side as well.”

“I do not know what to think or feel any longer,” Cousin Daná howls. “And you try to influence my mind!”

A somewhat distorted voice whispers to me, “For you have a wonderful mind.”

Pain makes my head ache ferociously.

“Father wants a word with you,” says an urgent voice next to us.

We all turn around to face the speaker.

Cousin Èleos stands by the table unannounced. He looks flushed from the effort of teleportation. Instinctively, I reach for his hand and he pulls me into a loving embrace. I feel his gaze slide over my profile, concerned. Then his full attention is back on his younger sister.

“Daná, Father wants to know why you have arrested Captain Magenta without consulting him in the first place.”

My brows raise. In how far is Uncle Agathos’ personal flight pilot involved in the current drama? This makes no sense.

“I will not be summoned to the library like a naughty girl.” Cousin Daná shakes her head vehemently. “For I am not the one misbehaving. Ankoù clearly overstepped some boundaries here.”

“But he is not the one at Mora’s throat,” reasons Cousin Èleos. “You are.”

All of a sudden, Cousin Dána stands right behind Doctor Hemutiu, yanking her head back with one hand and viciously exposing her to the blade with the another.

“The first twenty-four hours during a kidnapping are the most crucial ones. We are wasting time being frecking nice!”

My breathing becomes as ragged as my heartbeat. Should this indeed be a case of Lidérc bridal kidnapping? But why did Grianán write her note to me? Did Luçien force her hand?

Doctor Hemutiu radiates calmness still. Her face is relaxed, her voice low. “We should all have a break,” she suggests. “You both are agitated and Lady Ankoù...”

“Not a word from you, liar,” Daná slurs acidly. Her mouth thins. “A demented pervert took our sister. You are involved in the actual taking. That makes you his accomplice. You and all the other nutters of his private fan club.”

As I still try to wrap my mind around all those things being said, Cousin Èleos presses my hand reassuringly before saying to his sister, “You are making very wild and obscene accusations today.”

“Obscene?” Muttering this, Cousin Daná suddenly lets go of Doctor Hemutiu and pushes her to the ground. “This is her blood. I swear it is.”

Only now I notice that the weapon is already covered in blood. Dried blood by the looks of it.

“His Lordship would not attack a member of our family with sheer force. This must be a misunderstanding,” Cousin Èleos counters. “He may not be a man of honour all the time, but he has his principles.”

“Do not tell me that I am losing it. That I should take my crazy somewhere else.” She rams the blade straight into the table.

All of a sudden, I recognize the weapon as Luçien’s stale-ward scimitar. He would never part from it willingly.

Cousin Èleos also knows the scimitar for what it is. I can tell by his strained and weary face. “Where did you gets this?” he chokes.

“From the slaughterhouse that used to be Ce’s bed-room.”

“Oh ma douce souffrance!” I whisper and it feels like a strange déjà-vu saying so. Oh my sweet torment!

Strange images are pushing into me like daggers.

I can see torn skin tissue and bloodied bedsheets. A woman lies on a bed, more dead than alive. Her face is blurry. The more I try to concentrate on it, the stronger my headache becomes.

“Ce’s bed-room?” echoes Cousin Èleos, profoundly confused now. “But Sionnach and I found her in the nursery, unconscious. And what business can she possibly have in Gri’s elopement?”

Cousin Daná’s gaze darkens visibly. “Lovers that elope sneak out of a place in secret. They do not leave a battlefield behind. The walls are basically sprayed with blood. I found the BAU team frolicking in it.”

“I need to see that bedroom,” I get out breezily, but loud enough to be heard.

Three pairs of eyes stare at me.

“Caelestris’ bedroom,” I repeat with much more emphasis. “Let us go there now.”

“Why?” asks Cousin Èleos matter-of-factly, but not unfriendly.

“Luçien might have tampered with my memory as well.” As I speak, my headache reaches a new frightening level. “It is even possible that I used to have full knowledge of his unfortunate affair with Cousin Grianán.”

At least I hope that this is truly the case.

It is not dark inside the chambers of the crown princess. Countless star shells turn night into day. Strange patterns of red wool spin through the entire room. The threads look like sun beams and form an abstract piece of art. But there is more to take in. Blood. Great amounts of dried blood.

Unbidden, I remember an ancient saying from the Holy Isle. “Sometimes blood is the only sacrifice that will suffice.”

A surge of bile rises in my throat, and I fight to swallow it.

“Grianán!”

The word breaks from Cousin Èleos’ throat like slivers of glass. He sinks onto the stone floor, buries his face in his hands, and weeps.

Distraught, I kneel beside him and seek to offer my comfort immediately. My fingers flutter over his tawny gold hair. I cannot think of any appropriate things to say to him.

Cousin Daná remains standing right behind us, a pondering shape. Negative feelings emit from her. Fury, desperation. If we do not watch out for her, she certainly will slip away from us, right into the heart of darkness. A place where Luçien already might be trapped.

After a while, Cousin Èleos wrestles himself under control. He catches my hands in his and stills them. “I am okay again, Sionnach. Thank you.”

Cousin Daná lifts up her voice, her gaze wild. “Is Gri in a safe, sane and consensual relationship with Ankoù?” Sparks flicker in her bloodshot eyes like the tail ends of lightning. “Did she agree on any of this? Or is he a deal breaker?”

“Daná!” Hot blood scalds the face of Cousin Èleos. “What sort of questions are that?”

“Take a good look around and then dare to tell me that this is healthy stuff. It is not. Lovers don’t do such things to one another.”

Doctor Hemutiu just looks ahead of her. A serene statue of grace, unblinking. The past decade I have seen snake priestesses praying that way. “Just for the record, I have the right to remain silent.”

Cousin Èleos steps forward to handcuff her. His face is implacable. Only his nostrils flare. “You will be put in solitary confinement until further notice. My second-in-command will represent the interests of the BAU. You are done.”

Once Doctor Hemutiu is gone, led away by two Force knights, the scenery is much more quiet again. A sense of eeriness returns. I look around, trying to retrieve my missing memories. But my mind remains blank. Right now, I am confronted with a revelation too large to encompass.

Cousin Grianán has been badly hurt. By Luçien. And she is not the only Tjiehennet princess who has suffered great injustice by him.

My eyes burn from uncried tears. “I can’t. I can’t remember.”

“Sionnach, you are a clone of the unborn Princess Scarióideach Adamah Tjiehenet.” Cousin Èleos beams at me with new enthusiasm. “Your brain is a marvel. You cannot really forget.”

I grant him an uncertain gaze.

His smile widens. “I read all the files on you before Father had them destroyed. Believe me, when I tell you that you have the total recall. Mother made sure of that.”

I press my fingertips against my temples, which radiate an unbelievable heat. “What must I do to remember?”

“Stop tricking yourself to think that Luçien succeeded! Walk over the threshold and find yourself!”

Bracing myself, I do what I have to do.

Twitching.

The gates to the Unifying Force open wide.

Floating. Diving. Searching.

I see the face of my former master and one-time-lover fly by thousandfold. Smiling. Frowning. Scowling. Concentrated.

There it is, the ghost of a memory that once had been mine. Luçien has overestimated his willpower.

I look closer into the matter at hand.

Words echo in my head, at first not really matching the impressions that I am offered. Then everything comes back into place. An eight year old memory.

Garou has told me that Cousin Caelestris would love to see me. That she is feeling unwell this morning. Curious, I walk into her chambers. She never asked anything of me before.

I find the crown princess lying in bed with the curtains closed. Her aura shows me that she is in severe pain. “Sionnach, I am so happy to see you!” she croaks.

Pressed by urgency, I take a direct shortcut. “Did you already wake up with that dreadful back pain of yours?”

Astonishment mixes with gratitude. “Draň was already gone and I could hardly move,” she explains. “It was fortunate that Garou was passing by in the corridor. I am not very good with long-distance telepathy. Actually, I am not a decent Force user. A little handicap of mine.”

So the rumours about a non-Force sensitive on the Draconian thrown are true. Aunt Arcānā must have loved her oldest daughter very much to let this happen. I am glad about it, but sad for Cousin Caelestris though. The universe is a less lively place if one is cut off from the Force.

As I pull the curtains open, I notice a lot of sweat shimmering on her brow. Her pupils are far away from normal. “Let me have a look now!”

“Oh please, take this dreadful pain away, cousin!” she pleads. “I would hate Draň finding me this way. He might think that he is married to an old woman, not able to enjoy intimacy with him without breaking apart.”

I stare at the exposed skin, while my right hand clamps in her night shift. “Right...!”

“Sionnach? What is wrong?”

“That is a very good question.” My stomach turns around in wild loops. I cannot believe the damage that I am faced with. “Perhaps you care to tell me how you managed to hurt your back.”

“I think that I must have twisted it somehow, when Draň and I... you know. We are a bit wild now and then.”

That is a complete understatement. The branding iron has left ugly wounds all over her back. What startles me even more that she seems to be clueless about it. How can she not know?

Suddenly, I hear the door handle lower.

I dive under the bed straight away.

DarthUncle and Darth_Furio like this.
  13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Intense and very disturbing indeed! =D= Traumatic revelation!

14. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Perhaps too intense & disturbing for the rest of the readers, dear Ny. But thanks for reading & commenting.

I have rough days after me. The theft of my mobile phone, new heights or new lows about the drama with the broken bathroom tube, difficult tasks at work which only figured out to be nicely solved by me today, but costed me a lot of nerves & engery.

This is why I reward myself with a leisure weekend. @Cem_Fel & I will meet. And do some fun girl staff together. This is why I won't be online until next weekend.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  15. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    Intense scenes. I feel like some are taking the presence of the dark side in some, not to seriously. Like Cousin Dana.

16. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    And right you are, @Darth_Furio.

Kind greetings from @Cem_Fel 's home base. She & I are doing a girl' s weekend, including an event at the famous Marienburg in Pattensen, County Lower Saxony Germany. There will be a live audio play of Orson Welles ' "War of the Worlds". And tomorrow we hit the city of Hildesheim before I jump on my train back to Berlin.

Darth_Furio and DarthUncle like this.
  17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Very intense in your writing and in real life

18. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @earlybird-obi-wan: Well, it cannot be helped! Life keeps being busy and full of surprises, even unpleasant ones.

Okay, I had to delete my update, because it was Chapter 26 instead of Chapter 25. Meh!
    I was in such a hurry attending a birthday party with @DarthUncle!

Soon the right chapter. My lunch break is almost over & this is my mobile phone...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  19. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Okay, here we are @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, @Darth_Furio, @Kahara, @DarthUncle & @earlybird-obi-wan. This time with the right chapter:

Chapter 25:

“I am not here!” I manage to hiss before Draň strides in. He is not alone. I know those black leather boots that follow him all too well. Midnight blue desert robes sweep over the floor.

“Caelestris, my dear. You have a visitor.” Draň almost trips on my fingers, when he reaches the bed. “I thought you looked a bit ill this morning and so I brought my friend Luçien with me to check on you.”

“How thoughtful of you, milord, but I had rather have Cousin Sionnach check on me later on.” Her nervousness gets to me. I cannot smother it.

“I am a master of healing,” Luçien insists calmly. His voice causes me to shiver, even though he does not sound menacing. He is truly concerned for my cousin and her well-being. “She is just my disciple.”

“I find her very skilled.”

“There is no need to alarm the girl, Your Royal Highness. Please, let me see what pains you! I will be as gentle as she is, I promise.”

My skin starts to prickle as familiar energies fill the air around us.

Cousin Caelestris yawns. It is a heartbreaking sound.

Then an uncomfortable silence follows, just to be broken by a flustered voice several heartbeats later.

“I cannot believe that you did it again, Draň! Control yourself, man! First during your wedding night and now this!”

“But I love being artistic on her perfect skin.”

I hold my left hand wrapped around my trembling mouth.

This is no love match. Luçien has manipulated poor Caelestris into marrying a sadist. I bet it is an attempt to restore his honour, concerning the death of Cousin Sereno and his Gwenynen. What was he thinking? Has the Dark Side burned out his common sense? How twisted have his thoughts turned?

I feel like screaming into his smug face.

Cousin Caelestris raises her voice in protest again, fighting hard not to have her memory of the actual assault erased for good.

How many times has Luçien done this to her? Because there is a hard limit to this mind wiping business. I hope for her that Luçien has kept to it. Beyond that precious frontier lie severe personality changes and, in the bitter end, madness.

“Draň, you will get therapy sessions from somebody that I trust. He is from Amnion. You cannot go on this way. For I endanger those that I love! This is not right. I should not be here.”

The shock of a gloved hand clamping around my right wrist makes me yelp.

“Oh ma douce souffrance!” His mesmerizing cat eyes filled my view. Oh my sweet torment!

“You would not dare to do anything to me!” I protest at the top of my voice. “Not after all that we have been through together.”

“I am so sorry, but there is no other way,” Luçien cries openly. “You cannot be allowed to remember this incident.”

“The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded,” I speak hastily. “I am not weak.”

Compassion steals into his gaze, mingled with pride. “No, you are not. You never were.”

“You should be ashamed of yourself corrupting the Force this way,”

“I am,” he answers plainly. “For you have a wonderful mind.”

Like Caelestris, I am not able to call out for help. I am not very trained in telepathy. A fact that Luçien is able to exploit. He reaches into my thoughts. Again. After what he did to me so many years ago on Sapuruh, he enters my mind without allowance.

“Let go, Sionnach! I do not wish to damage you permanently! It is not a memory that you will miss.”

“Let me judge that for myself!” I struggle in his embrace.

“You will forget!” Luçien insists.

When I fully return to the present, the cruel knowledge re-awoken, I find both Cousin Èleos and his younger sister Daná holding me. I snuggle deeper into their embrace, relishing their love. It makes me feel safe.

“The prince consort is abusing his wife,” I inform them, when I am ready to speak again.

“Draň will get his punishment,” Cousin Dána swears under her breath. Her body is tense now, but she does not interrupt our physical contact. She strengthens it gently, adding, “And so will Ankoù for what has occurred in here.”

“It was not the first time for Caelestris,” I add for the truth needs to be spoken.

It is Cousin Èleos who voices the questions that I dread myself. “Are you trying to imply that Ce's marriage was a disaster from the beginning? And the Vicomte did not want it to be known? Deleting memories all the time?”

“Oh!” his sister gets out, sounding like a scared little forest mouse.

Unsettled, I start walking around.

There is a suitcase next to the bedroom door. Nobody has opened it yet, but I do. It is neatly packed. Even the pants are folded. I recognize the signature. “You packed this, Luçien. I am sure you never do that for someone you mean to die. Draň must be still alive and well.”

I take in the size of the luggage piece.

“You wanted to bring your friend home, finally realizing that marriage of his as a complete failure.”

“Val, I want you to send two of the boys to Clan Kherb immediately,” Cousin Èleos says in a low voice.

There is sudden movement in a corner and the melodious voice of Chevalier Ankoù says, “Consider it done, Eli!”

Those paladins can mask their presence in the Force so excellently that one only notices them when they actually start speaking aloud. I wonder how Cousin Èleos has been aware of his comrade, but then again, he is their captain. He ought to know their exact whereabouts.

I sit on my heels to close the suitcase again. “Your efforts at helping out a friend constantly put Caelestris in jeopardy.” My smile is sad. “She waned away in front of you, because you gave her too many mind-wipes. The Force healer in you realised the madness in all of it. Oh, that must have hurt.”

As I rise again, my eyes wander over to the work of the blood splatter analysts. Now that my fear is not repressing me so much any more, my thoughts are more fluent again. In the Living Force as much as in the Unifying Force. It is like waking up from a long, long slumber.

With my fingers I compose the Hakini mudrā for thinking and concentration. It helps to enhance my Ajna-chakra, that had been blocked by Luçien and his foul doing by far too long.

“But what possibly hurt you even more was that you would need to sacrifice your new found love on the altar of your principles,” I muse aloud. “You let your anger lead your hand when you attacked her. There is mercy in not caring too much. Having no boundaries whatsoever! The dark side can be kind.”

A single tear runs down my right cheek.

“You wounded her severely. But when her life was running out of her, you had second thoughts. You saved her, forbade her to die on you. But you did not stay here. That was too risky. You brought her somewhere else with your apparition skills. A place where it would be safe for you. The hunting lodge.”

Cousin Èleos stands so close behind me that I bump into him when I take a step backwards. “The Vicomte has a hunting lodge?” he gurgles.

“Luçien had it built in the aftermath of Polysýndeton,” I offer. “It is not that far from Draíocht’s property.”

“We never knew. Blast!” Cousin Daná chides, heat colouring her cheeks.

While the three of us are on our way to the royal library, a familiar face from the past appears in one of the corridors. I know Lady MacGhillie, an Elfin noblewoman of means, from the self-support group of widows that Draíocht has set up ages ago. Like me she has Daoine Sidhe blood.

“Your Majesties,” she calls out, visibly distressed. “A word!”

“If you must,” mutters Cousin Daná. “Open office hours, I suppose.”

Melting snow keeps falling off her travelling attire. Her bright blond mane, done in a complicated Sleah Maith hair style, shines like gold in the torch light. “My name is Coire Buchan née MacGhillie. This is my husband Rory.”

Another Elf in travel attire comes speeding towards us like a long distance runner.

Cousin Èleos brightens up visibly. “Ah, the famous horse trader!”

The handsome Sleah Maith bows, despite being out of breath. He has raven hair and thin eye brows. “Your Royal Highnesses, Lady Ankoù.”

“We are losing precious time here with bloody etiquette.” Cousin Daná is exhausted. “Can we get to the point?”

Coire looks nonplussed, but speaks again. “A confident source within the royal household was so kind to inform me that Vicomte Ankoù is in grave danger.” Lavender eyes lock with mine, seeking confirmation. “That he is being accused of crown treason.”

“I knew it,” scowls Cousin Daná, her face dark. “His crazy groupies reveal himself to save his reputation. But it’s too late. He is beyond saving. I will put him to death. Slow and painful.”

“Milady.” Cousin Èleos intervenes and holds his sister like a vice. “This court is hugely upset with the mess His Lordship has left us with.”

Coire gazes at the prince intensely. Underneath her mellow appearance, there is a hard and determined core. Her aura colours tell me as much. “I would like to state that the Vicomte is a true gentleman when it comes to courting a woman. He would never willingly harm a lover of his.”

All colour leaves my face. Luçien has freely bedded another woman. Something that I was forbidden to do by the laws of his people. That is not fair!

“Yeah, sure,” mumbles Cousin Daná under her breath. “To cut the jugular is considered an act of gentle love making.”

The deep frown of Coire increases. “I do not know what crimes the Vicomte is charged with. I just know him to be an honourable person. Throughout his courtship never raised a hand against me. I always felt save with him.”

“Milady!” There is this edge in Cousin Èleos’ voice again. “You arrive at our household at the most desperate hour imaginable. This is elusive timing on your behalf. Who sent for you, may I ask?”

Coire bites her lip before answering straight out, “Temperance did.”

“Captain Magenta?” I mouth, nervous for the confirmation

“She said the more of us, the better.” Coire looks at me somewhat pleadingly. “Irmgard nor the twins would not answer her calls made to Ostal Blanc.”

“What twins?” I ask, automatically thinking of Tāchys and Phrēn.

“Néné Gwenaël and her honoured twin sister, Oeillet.” It is not Coire who answers but Cousin Èleos. His face is unreadable and so are his eyes. “Like Mistress Haganwald they are sacred moon priestesses.”

On Sapuhru, a beaton does get special training when it is for the treatment of patients. The art of love making is considered as the most powerful remedy for many mental diseases. Could it be that Luçien suffers from melancholia also known as clinical depression?

I feel strangely light in the head, while Cousin Daná thunders, “You are all but a litter of dirty street cats! Am I the only woman here who has not slept with Ankoù yet?”

“Don’t.” Cousin Èleos draws her shaking frame fully into his strong embrace. “Her Ladyship came out here to make the truth known.”

“Her truth, not ours. Fact is, he hurt both Ce and Gri.”

Coire pales. “On what account?”

“None of your business,” roars Cousin Daná, dark side fire crackling over her under arms.

The Elf takes a considerate step back and her husband rushes forward to shield her body.

In a graceful movement, Cousin Èleos presses his raging sibling closer to his chest, not caring about the dangerous currents that crackle over his own body now as well. “Milady, please follow my trusted paladins to my study. Your husband can accompany her. If you all excuse us now.”

Within the blink of an eye, they both vanish into thin air.

Coire plunges forward and grabs my hand. “I am so sorry about all this heartbreak, my dear Sionnach. I never meant to...”

“Ceart go leor,” I answer, my voice more quivering than I want it to be. “It is alright. If Luçien chose to be with you for a while, I can find enough strength to forgive him.”

“Actually three years,” she confesses.

I let Coire’s words sink in for some heartbeats. “You are a decent woman.” I feel somewhat numb despite my kind words. “And it is very brave of you to attend the royal court.”

Protectively, her husband Rory has stepped up behind her. “Aye, it is. My Coire rather loses her own reputation than a dear friend like Luçien. He was the best man at our wedding, you know.”

Coire’s hand feels so unreal in mine. “This entire affair is a nightmare. Two of my royal cousins got hurt in unspeakable ways,” I confide in the two other Elves. “I do not know what to believe or think any longer.”

“It does not sound like Luçien. He may be a difficult man, torn between duty and privacy, but I cannot believe that he would hurt a woman on solemn purpose,” Coire gives to consider.

“If you would have witnessed what I was forced to see within the past hours...” My voice breaks and I stare at her perfect Elfin hand.

“There must be an explanation,” offers Rory Buchan.

“Did Luçien ever speak with you about his upbringing as the heir of House Ankoù?”

Coire looks sad. Even the peaks of her pointed ears sag. “No, he did not. You know how closed up he is with private matters.” She lowers her voice. “But as you may have noticed, he has an uneasy, almost tortured sleep.”

Lingering symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder or disrupted attachment can present difficulties with sleep. It also would fit the other symptoms that I have spotted here and there in Luçien: anxiety, oppositional behaviour and even violent behaviour from time to time.

Coire looks at our intermingled fingers. “During one occasion Luçien confessed to me...”

“Milady?”

The sudden appearance of Chevalier Ankoù startles me slightly. “Yes, please?”

“You are expected on board the 'Delta Sailor',” he bows politely, before handing over my travel cape. “Let me lead you the way. Her Divine Majesty and her brother Èleos await you on-board eagerly.”

“A lodge?” Cousin Daná gapes down the slipway and holds on to one my shoulders. “What an understatement! This is a wooden palace.”

To me, the two storey building with its three outbuildings is just an extension of Luçien’s large ego. Besides, I have been here before. Once. Not liking it in the least.

“When my cousin has a project running, he puts a lot of effort into it.” I hear Chevalier Ankoù say from behind us. “Sometimes too much effort, if you ask me.”

The mouth of Cousin Éleos tightens. “This could have helped BAU to complete his profile much more easily and in-depth.”

“BAU!” In disgust, his younger sister Daná spits on the ground. “I would not trust a single special agent these days.”

“But you are the head of state,” I object. “They are obliged to follow your wishes.”

She makes a dismissive gesture with her right hand. “Only a purely technical matter the rat pack chooses to ignore.”

“Who is that 'rat pack' you keep talking about?” I wonder.

Before Cousin Daná can answer me, the chevalier comes into motion. With frightening speed he is on the porch and retrieves a large metal key from right under the door mat. “Just as I thought,” he announces loudly. “The hospitality of the North. Luçien really changed his ways.”

When the paladin opens the front door, his new queen rushes past, carrying a small metal suitcase with her.

Placing a gentle hand on my left shoulder, Cousin Èleos holds me back. “You already have met Mora.”

I incline my head to him. “Doctor Hemutiu, the Chief of the Suspect Behaviour Unit.”

“Right, the very one.” He moves through his hair like a shy, little boy. “Then there is, of course, Admiral Merkhet, the Secretary of Defence.”

“Your former lover,” I state and watch him blush all over.

Bravely, he tries to keep his emotions better in check and moves on, “The third best childhood friend of Gri is Miss Djed, the Director of State Intelligence.”

“The one from the upper library level, when we all were gathered last night.”

He looks relieved. “Your intuition serves you well. That was her.”

“Her aura was unusual.”

“She is a very special woman altogether. And as Gri’s oldest and most intimate friend, she is my greatest nemesis right now. Much worse than the other two.”

Sorrow fills me. “I do not understand why. Don’t we all want the same thing? The safe return of your beloved sister? And no more bloodshed and lies?”

Cousin Èleos takes my right hand and brings it to his lips. “Oh, Sionnach.” He blows a kiss on my skin. “I wish it was so simple. Daná is right in one respect. There is indeed a palace intrigue going on. I have not reached the bottom of it yet. Even Val might be part of it.”

Valiant, a traitor to the Draconian crown?

Not sure what to say, I lean in on Cousin Èleos and give him a hug.

Loud and obscene words come from the inside of the lodge, disturbing the peace of the spring morning.

The entrance hall, also called 'The Hall of Fire', is the biggest room of the hunting lodge, a large, spacious hall divided into various living areas. There is the kitchen with its counter-tops and large oven, a dining table for six, a larger-than-life chimney breast, a lounge area and a lot of sofas. Plus, of course, all the trophy animals, carpets and other furniture that Luçien has scattered masterfully all over the place.

“How can anybody get so ill from the Dark Side when he can erect such a place in the middle of complete wilderness?” Cousin Èleos wonders and starts walking around in awe.

In the meantime I behold Valiant. The tall Lidérc sits in front of the chimney, lost in deep meditation and obviously connected with the Unifying Force. His body hovers five inches above the wooden floor.

The swearing sounds through the lodge. It comes from one of the upstairs bedrooms.

I take courage and I climb the stairs for the first time ever.

One of the three bedroom doors is wide open. The chamber seems harmless in the bright morning light. Everything is neat and clean. It looks more like a hotel room in a breakfast pension. A bed, a wardrobe and a chair. Strangely, there is no mattress. Just the bedstead.

What also disturbs me is the strong smell of vinegar and lemon.

Cousin Daná already has opened her metal suitcase. Instead of her house frock, she now wears protective clothing that prominently features the Udjat-eye in the chest region.

“You may as well come in!” she salutes me, while collecting evidence with a forceps.

“I do not want to contaminate the location.”

“Commander Cú Síth did that already,” she murmurs, while looking into her electron microscope.

“How so?” I ask dumbstruck.

She ticks against the long neck of the microscope. “Oh, coz, this hair here is definitely his.”

My right hand flies towards my mouth. “How can you be sure?”

“That flea bag was spotted in this region, was he not?” She looks up, making a flustered expression. “Plus he is friends with our vile kitty cat.”

And I have not known this to be a fact.

The more I think on it, I have no clue about Luçien and his life.

“Foxes tend to have shorter underfur than wolves.” Cousin Daná stares at her find once more, her voice tight. “Of course, bears and canines have close taxonomic relationships, but this hair here comes definitely from a wolf. Not your common canis lupus though. I am talking about about a true lukánthropos.”

I catch my breath, my skin prickling with discomfort.

Suddenly, we hear the soft buzzing of a space ship landing outside.

“The 'Paracelus', she is back!” yelps Cousin Daná.

We leave the bedroom immediately and head downstairs.

DarthUncle, Darth_Furio and Kahara like this.
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ominously traumatic revelations for Celestris :( - which devastate Sionnach and put everyone on the hunt for more clues especially about Grianan's fate. [face_thinking]

DarthUncle, AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  21. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    “His crazy groupies reveal himself to save his reputation. But it’s too late. He is beyond saving. I will put him to death. Slow and painful.”

Not going to lie, I like Dana. :p

22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    what is happening? The cat on the prowl?

23. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    Well, so the climax has begun it seems - sorry I found no earlier opportunity to comment, though I have to say that these last few posted updates do (re)read nicely as a unit @AzureAngel2 !

At first I thought this was related to Eleos, but then, well. The mind is an amazing place.

Heh, nice one - good bit of slight slapstick to inject into this enfolding drama. And at the sight of that dangerously curved blade, I shuddered to think what Lucien had been doing.

Heh. Well, I suppose inner calmness is a good antidote to one's own dark side, but I am not so sure it also helps to quell the rising tide of darkness in another :)

Yeah, so fear and uncertainty lead to anger, etc. Honesty to oneself is a good antidote to the dark side, most likely.
    Indeed, but, maybe not quite the best way to go in this moment, as I alluded to above, Mora?

I LOLed, and am amazed she is actually getting through. Guess she's the expert!
    Huh. Oh, so here it really hit me what that might be, though I was still fuzzy on what exactly happened - but poor Garou did warn her. Poor kid though.

Dana has a point, but indeed, is that what this is? Not quite what he had planned I think, though then it seems that maybe it did turn into it. I mean, sheesh, messed up relationship, thanks to the dark side keeping Lucien alternatively in a close embrace and within easy, comfortable, touching distance I guess; but this seems like plans gone very wrong and then maybe some sanity trickling in before it became not only bloody but also order 66 like mayhem.

Well, I don't think we get to quite that point in this update, but yeah, seems that Lucien has gotten scarily comfortable with messing with women's minds (misogynistic as his home planet believes are be, as is befitting of the females that provide the living, making the men create and impose a story where they aren't lazy cats that are dependent on them, but rather the leaders that allow the females to do their bit in the greater plan, under the mens guidance) - eh, anywaaay - scarily comfortable, certainly blinkered into maintaining his own method of madness that keeps sucking him into the deep dark. Having said that, the fact that Grianan turns out alive, says he's less far gone than Anakin, as at least he does something, in the end, to not let Grianan die. I think?

Yeah, guess that makes sense. Still need that quarter to drop as to why Grianan is still deemed in control enough by her close friends to not lift the veil of secrecy at this point.

Ooh, nice, with a little advice from a friend. The Unifying force, that makes sense indeed, nothing there should be able to separate her from her thoughts, unless she lets it.

Shudder.

Not weak minded, no indeed.

And for so long already he has kept her from being her true, strong self, purely as a by effect of the small minded evil he allowed to happen, and which he concealed for who knows what reason. Not sanity at least, but a clouded mind for sure.

Yeah, deluded madness does have a sort of bereserker like fake feeling of clarity and purity, I guess. Certainly seemed that way for Darth Vader when he set to complete order 66, right?
    Though apparently Luciens bond to Grianan still pierced it, in the end, before she was gone.

Nope, indeed, fair he's not, and neither is his story of believes.

Well, maybe, just maybe, it really is, if you could allow yourselves to get over your fear and anger, and trust in the force, as Sionnach seems rather able to do, now she's back to being more one with her healer self again?

Aint that the truth. But, deep down he knows he's in the wrong, and needs to hide his deeds in darkness, as he's hiding the truth about why and what he has done from himself.

SO, sorry I haven't found opportunity to comment before. Enjoyed it a lot.

Oh, and didn't we have a discussion about the evil of clones before (or was that with your story about Cassie? Maybe it doesn't matter ;-) - in the end, even if the clone is created out of madness and/or for nefarious reasons, and unless they are deliberately corrupted I suppose, they are still their own beings, with their own lives and choices that can either diminish or improve their surroundings, friends and loved ones. Sionnach is a beaken of joy, and basic solid wisdom, when she has the opportunity to be herself and is listened to.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  24. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Yeah, I wanted this fic to be more like a detective story! ;)

@Darth_Furio: The original Dana was inspired by Ferris Bueller´s sister Jeanie. And the crazy thing is, compared to Grianán, this character never changed her name throughout my SW story. It was always Daná.

@earlybird-obi-wan: I fear we need to wait for Luc to tell us about his adventures, because Gri will keep silent about the things she found out with her special gift.

@DarthUncle: I am very, very touched by your long comment and excellent findings. Once more, you are right about me and everything else, darling husband.

Okay, here is the new bit:

Chapter 26:

Cousin Èleos is on the move towards the entrance door already. From my current position, I cannot see his face, just the taut cords at the back of his neck. The tension extends to his strong, lean shoulders.

Five loud knocks sound through the lodge. Then there is a pause. Two more knocks follow. There is only one person knowing this pattern. Because it is our secret code. It has been since many, many years.

I start crying with relief. “Skje!” I get out. “It’s Skje!”

Cousin Èleos opens the door.

“Hej!” my lover greets us, grinning wide. Good day to you.

I sink into his arms. My tears are hot and feel good. Frantically, we start to nose kiss one another.

“Silly me,” Skje chuckles and, breathing in, he causes my skin to be suctioned against his nose and upper lip. “I thought you would be happy to see me, Sionnach.”

“Of course I am happy, you big mouse,” I sniff.

The ship’s engines activate again.

“Wait!” Cousin Daná shrieks. The blood drains from her face. I fear she is going to faint, but instead she goes from utter stillness into blurred motion.

I shake my lover off and follow the princess through the still-open front door.

The leaving space ship is not 'Paracelsus'. She is much smaller, less grand in style.

“Ruadhan and I got a lift by an acquaintance,” Skje explains straight away. “Why is anything the matter?”

A flicker of hope lights Cousin Èleos’ face. “Have you, by any chance, been on Sapuhru?”

My lover nods. “That obvious?”

Only now, I realize that Skje is dressed in desert robes. A long cotton shirt with equally long sleeves and beautiful embroidery covers his muscular torso. The shirt extends all the way to his knees. He also wears wide trousers that are tight at the ankles. It amuses me that his feet are encased in silk slippers that Lidérc male like to wear inside their homesteads.

But that is not why I raise my brows at him. “Why are you wearing the colours of House Ankoù?” I ask.

“Ah that!” He blushes and scratches the back of his head. “We got into a little brawl at the spaceport. His Lordship arranged that his servants took good care of us.”

With a tremor in his voice, Cousin Èleos cuts in, “Did you,… did you see my sister Grianán and Luçien?”

“I basically bumped into the Holy Consort.” A sense of profound gravity and kindness radiates from Skje. “And not much later I had a word or two with His Lordship. But I did not see the princessa at all. Why? Is she supposed to be with him?”

Before I can explain matters to my lover any further, I can spot a familiar figure staggering over the clearing.

In his suede clothing, Ruadhan looks like his usual, dishevelled self. “Whose cooking burned down the house?” he shouts over the clearing, while he is waving something yellowish that looks like a pergamentus roll.

Draíocht’s message.

We all wait until my foster father has come closer. His knuckles are pale where they grip the pergamentus. “And why, by the Northern Lights, does the entire area smell of my father?”

“Werewolves! So sensitive in smell and clan matters!”

Laughing hysterically, Cousin Daná sinks onto the moist grass. But soon, the laughter ends in thick tears starting from her eyes.

Her older brother Èleos rushes to console her.

To say that I am surprised about this breakdown would be wrong. It has been bound to happen. She is the sister who has the strongest bond with the missing Grianán. That much I have found out over the past days.

But there are still so many facts that I do not know or events I have trouble to fill in. For example the harsh martial arts training both princesses have undergone from their sixth birthday on.

Perhaps I have the wrong picture of the education that the Holy Consort has given her protégées altogether. I have romanticised their relationship beyond recognition.

A wry smile forms on my lips.

I have been absent from court too much the past nine years. Each time I had forced myself to visit Luçien I really had not taken notice of what had happened around me.

Ignorance is never a wishful state. Especially not for a student of the Force.

Inside the lodge, Chevalier Ankoù has put on a kitchen apron. He also has placed a picknick basket on the side board. “Norn and Carrie have been more than generous when packing our lunch parcels.”

This is an understatement because a little celebratory banquet comes forth from underneath the striped kitchen towel..

There are Highland short bread fingers, several smoked sausages, a large tarte flambée with large bacon bits and crudités, raw greenstuff in stripes.

I am given a medium lunch box. A note is attached to it, saying, “This spinach quiche is for Princess Sionnach only! Don't you dare, Dána! Norn”

I am deeply touched by the old woman's commitment. Even though we have little business with one another, she seems to be concerned about my well-being.

While we all dig into our food, Chevalier Ankoù walks around with a brazen tea pot. He lets us know that it contains a delicious herbal infusion from Luçien’s pantry.

“Reviving!” Cousin Èleos praises his fellow Force knight. “How good of you to spot this hidden treasure.”

Looking a bit smug, the tall Lidérc pulls me a generous amount of tea. Even though he moves graceful and flawless, I detect an iron-clad layer around him. It severs his heart from his physical body. What else should I expect by a blood relative of Luçien?

“Merci beaucoup!” I beam nonetheless. Thanks a lot.

“De rien!” he purrs. You are welcome.

I take a considerate sip from my fragile porcelain cup. It is definitely white tea, for the flavour is mostly fruity with a slight floral touch to it. There is vanilla and lemon balm. But the third ingredient makes me thoughtful.

Goji berries, also known as wolfberries, are closely related to the nightshade family: Solanaceae.

I waste no time with politeness. Not with the fate of Cousin Grianán still being unclear. The healer in me needs answers. “Nightshade is one of the main ingredients for the witch hunt potion, isn’t it?”

The mug that Chevalier Ankoù is about to hand over to Ruadhan, shivers slightly. But only for a few heartbeats. His self-control is amazing.

“Wolfsbane can also support the composition that you refer to,” the paladin answers truthfully. “But Mandrake is the main ingredient.”

“They all cause spasms and hallucinations,” I point out.

“Indeed, milady.”

I tick my right index finger against my closed lips twice. “We are both students of the honoured Minou Yeotenn,” I decide. “Why can’t we be honest with one another?”

“Yes, why can’t we, Val?”

With trembling shoulders, Cousin Daná stands in front of the huge fireplace. Her back is turned to all of us.

The paladin smiles with sorrow, gazing at me. “What exactly am I charged with?”

“Do you consider me stupid, slope?”

He exhales hard. “Stupid is as stupid does.”

Without warning, licking flames come to life in the huge fireplace.

There are two books lying on the mantel piece. Cousin Daná takes one of them, gazes at the cover. With no hesitation whatsoever she throws it straight into the fire. “Too much reading is not healthy,” she complains. “I always told her. Old books are full of mites and silver fish. They must have gotten into her brain, munching on it.”

With a few large steps, Cousin Èleos is at her side, closing his fingers around her still raised hand. “Please do not burn all of the Vicomte’s books! That might upset him very much when he returns.”

She murmurs something that I do not get.

“The way that I see it, he has some of Grianán’s favourite books gathered in this place.” Kisses sailed down on her bent head. “That is no coincidence, Dan.”

“Mandrake potion is not healthy,” she mumbles, her lips ashen. “You are right, coz.”

From a pocket of her protective clothing, she produces an empty flacon. But that is not the only item that comes forth. There is also a rope, neatly convoluted.

With bloodshot eyes, yellow from the dark side, Cousin Daná balls her fists. “Something very dirty took place in this lodge. A drama with no eyewitnesses.”

“Can I be of any help?” Ruadhan offers.

“Yes,” the young woman hisses snake like. “I trust you to be more helpful than our Lidérc here.”

There is a vein of dignity that runs beneath his charm, and Daná´s words have tapped it. “I am a Force healer and paladin.” His almond eyes are slits of disgust. “Not a retriever, breed to hunt down snippets of evidence and bring them to your attention.”

“Enough!” Cousin Èleos´ voice rings. “This bickering is neither helpful nor constructive.”

Both of them swallow hard, but remain silent.

We remain seated downstairs, granting my foster father the necessary time and space to literary sniff around.

“Nobody should torture a lover.” The cheeks of Cousin Daná are scarlet, while she glares at Chevalier Ankoù. “Don’t you think, Val?”

He purses his lips, visibly forcing himself to stay calm. “Any form of torture depends on complicated interpersonal relationships between the one who tortures, and the person who is on the receiving end. When torture takes place, the torturer believes that he is on the high moral ground. In other words, when two ideologies intersect, one must give way.”

Her eyelashes flutter. “Gri is stubborn, always was.”

As if to back her up, Rudhan shows up on the staircase, leaning on the banister. “The vinegar and the lemon make it hard to be precise...”

“Great!” Cousin Daná curses.

“But I would say that Princess Grianán threw up at least one time. It also seems that she had a problem with her bladder. The room still carries the echo of her urine.”

While we let the news sink in, my foster father excuses himself and sneaks outside. I do not mind him easing some of his tension with a stroll through Ceilonwyn.

To elevate my own energy level, I simply let my fingers compose the mudrā of life in my lap.

My royal cousins are upstairs again, investigating the crime scene once more.

While I listen to the sound of the crackling firewood, I let my thoughts wander.

Even though this place has a lot of comfort and beauty to offer, I cannot fully relax around here. It´s his sanctuary, his life style. I am but an intruder. Actually, he has never allowed me into his bed room. Not even for a little peak. I had never been welcome around here.

Besides, my relationship with Luçien has never been that of equals. In his eyes I will forever be the student, and he the master, despite what I have been able to learn.

I keep asking myself, if I had noticed more of his deeds, and taken more action, would I have crossed his path, and thus his plans, more often? Would I have been able to do something, or would I instead have been crushed? Would he have started to see me in a new light, different from his initial and never truly amended impression? Would he have begun seeing me as a fallen friend, possibly even a tragically mislead enemy?

The front door opens unceremoniously and Ruadhan approaches me with a flushed face. His hands and knees are dirty with mud and old leaves.

“What have you been up to?” I call out, torn between laughter and worry. “Crawling all over the property?”

He nods, his earlobes getting as pinkish as his cheeks.

Lying is not in his nature. A trait which I somehow inherited from him. Honesty is certainly not a gift that runs in the veins of the Tjiehennet family.

“My father’s scent was too strong to push it aside,” he admits. “I had to follow his tracks. There was no way around it.”

I hang on to his lips.

“See, Luçien has an ice cellar just at the back of the property.”

I force myself to stay calm. In this area of the planet, it is common to have such cellars. The langhùs had one, too. Perhaps it is still out there.

“Well, I do not know what I found exactly,” Ruadhan moves on. “But I would very much like to share those strange objects with all of you.”

“The way you react tells me that it cannot be a corpse or body parts,” Cousin Èleos observes, while he slowly descends the stairs to join us.

Ruadhan runs a hand through his stubby beard, making it dirty with wet earth. “Luçien is a hunter and so is my father. None of them would contaminate a place where food and drink are kept. Think again.”

“Your find is not organic then,” Chevalier Ankoù throws in for consideration, his cat eyes lowered to thoughtful slits.

“It is hard to explain in words.” His almond shaped eyes flicker nervously. “You need to see it for yourself really. All of you.”

A thick oak door is at the heart of the artificial hill. It has a handle, but no lock. That eases my heart enormously. Cousin Grianán must not have been imprisoned in there, just in Luçien’s room.

I speak a quick prayer to the Unifying Force.

At least she has not been kept in the dark. Alone, afraid and cold.

My curious gaze comes to rest on the large ebony chest. Its lid is wide open. I walk towards it and look inside.

To be honest, I had expected a more cruel sight, such as the instruments of Luçien’s trade.

I reach into the chest and take out the top sheet.

The drawing of a very young child rests in my slightly tumbling hands.

Among the green lushness of the Mother Jungle stands, unmistakable for me, the royal pyramid, gleaming in the sunlight. There are a lot of animals and plants. I can recognize a young rancor with its mother and a sea of white orchids.

“This is not something that my children did,” I tell everybody and move on to the next drawing.

With no difficulties I recognize a room from inside the Sapuhrian Embassy on Amnion. It definitely represents one of the guest chambers. The flower pattern of the wall paper looks as alive as the rain forest scene from the previous drawing.

The more drawings I take out of the chest, the more it becomes clear to me that they all have been done by the same child. Bright, lively colours dominate each art piece. It is like a dive into the Force vortex.

Suddenly, I notice a change.

The child has gotten older and more skilled, using an oil crayons now.

I stare at the face of the deceased god queen, my aunt Arcānā . Her hair is not done in dreadlocks. Wild and free it roams around her like a living creature, that has a will of its own. Her eyes are full with the ire of the dark side.

Next comes Isabeau, obviously long before she had been the Holy Consort or even the royal nanny. Her face has been sketched in quarter profile and there is a desert tent behind her. I cannot see the dune sea directly, but I feel it. The scene has an overwhelming sense of serenity. The twin moons of Sapuhru shine brightly in the night sky. Even though it represents the work of somebody who is still a learner, the haughty beauty of the marquise is done rather well.

The next sketch makes my blood freeze.

Her Holiness Mórag MagUdhir is done in a stark close-up. A giant Elfin eye stares at me, its iris split by the cold fire of the dark side. Long raven hair surrounds the abbess in twisting strands, covering most of her face. A cruel smile lies on her half open lips.

Quickly, I choose another sketch from the chest.

I frown when I behold Luçien done three times. First, displayed as a dark shadow in his desert robes, next as a young man in his mid-twenties with tender cat eyes and finally in his late thirties. This version of him has holes instead of eyes. That is more than spooky.

I grasp for the next portrait, which is really a surprise. It shows a very young me surrounded by the grass sea of the Western Plains. But that is not the only surprise waiting for me.

“This is Adamah’s old holocron,” says Ruadhan while he peaks over my shoulder. “I never knew you had it.”

“Granny said it was a family inheritance.” Tears fill my eyes. “It was a secret and had to be kept save. I threw it into a glen and got very sick after doing so.”

“You dump a holocron that is synchronized with you into the ice waters of a lake? And you wonder that you fall ill immediately?” Cousin Daná’s mild laughter fills the air. “Oh, Sio, dearest. Mommy really took great trouble to keep you ignorant and carefree. Your keeper must have hated herself for not explaining that learning device any better to you.”

Finally, Èleos moves closer towards the chest and me. He bends down like a pilgrim inside a holy shrine. His slender hands dive into the sea of papers. He picks up a random sheet and studies it for at least a minute.

“These are indeed done by Gri,” I hear him mutter, more to himself than to us. “She did similar ones at the castle and in Sendero. Sweet that Luçien kept all those.”

“Why would he want her drawings?” Cousin Daná spat. “He has kids on his own.”

When my royal cousins start walking towards the lodge again, Ruadhan says with a hushed voice, “My father has written a note for Luçien. It lay on top of the chest.”

Under my curious eyes, he reaches into the inner pocket of his leather west. From there he produces an envelope with elegant and pointy handwriting.

“I sit at your desk while I write this, Luçien. Grianán’s fear and horror are still around me. The acid and lemon I used for cleaning cannot take the scent away.

Let me be frank and point out what should be obvious even to you by now. You are the Darksider and not her.

Taran (a danger that you have to consider from now on)

PS: I have bothered to gather all her paintings on her behalf. It is her privacy that I want to protect and not yours."

I hesitate to hand over this letter to Cousin Èleos, but in the end I decide that there are too many secrets running in the royal family already. By the end of our dinner, cooked by Chevalier Ankoù, I shove the folded paper towards him.

“Despite a person’s intentions—whether those are good or bad—secrets can often cause more harm than good,” I tell him with a rueful smile. “I always believed that the truth can be liberating.”

A faint smile appears on his somewhat tense lips. “I bow to your wisdom, Cousin Sionnach. The Force is with you as usual.”

“If you would let go of your sorrow and fear, it could be with you as well again,” I suggest to him in a friendly manner. “You seem to have lost your way.”

He lowers his gaze. “I fear that I have been bankrupted by the dark side.”

“Is there a separate dark side to the Force?” I see his eyelids flutter alert while I state this. “I rather would say that the Force itself is neutral. But I agree with you that it can be used rather maliciously by people for personal gain.”

With transcendent determination, Cousin Èleos grips the letter. He reads it over and over again, while his younger sister Daná sleeps on one of the sofas.

“Thank you,” he finally breathes and walks to a side table, where he pulls himself more tea. “For being the calm voice of reason around here.”

Because the god queen in waiting does not wake up, we decide to stay overnight. Chevalier Ankoù notifies Dún Barr via the ship’s communications.

At bedtime, Skje sits down next to me, nestling me against him with his large, yet tender hands. He pulls the quilt around us lovingly. “United again, but less intimate than I hoped for. At least no Luçien is around to stop me.”

I snuggle against him, feeling daring. “Tell me about your meeting.”

In the dark the Udhaler begins grazing my neck. “The night I left you behind in the castle, I went straight to the stable and got myself a horse. Morbus, a young and fierce stallion. Poor beast. I almost have ridden to shambles when I reached Ceilonwyn, but I wanted to get to Sapuhru as fast as possible.”

“Why did you ride into the mystical forest?” I ask. “You could have requested a direct flight.”

“Woman, I was not thinking! Luçien had forced you into that pointless marriage with him, making me feel like a cuckold all the time. I wanted to end that.”

“But why Ceilonwyn?”

“Ruadhan has this Lidérc friend of his staying over at this time of the year.”

“Gaston,” I mouth, remembering that particular gentleman from a barn dance some time ago. He had been the only one watching instead of taking the dance floor.

“We did not even need to pay anything once I mentioned that I had urgent business with Luçien.”

“A Brotherhood member?” I murmur against his chest.

“They are not all religious fanatics, you know. There are different divisions for various aspects of daily life. Luçien is hardcore though. Their prince of light. His name is like a reverent prayer. He is the purgatory around which they all gather.”

That remark makes me grunt softly.

Involuntarily, I have been part of this unhealthy worship. The woman at His Lordship’s side. Mother to his children. Sharer of misfortune caused by his duty.

People seem to long for a hero to do the things they don’t dare do, and who they can adore for it, without sharing the burden.

Even I have become moulded into a victim for Luçien to save. I cannot even begin to imagine what they make of Garou. Do they expect him to carry on the torch of faith?

Skje interrupts my line of thoughts. “I was never able to enter the homestead. Your beau just walked into me. As if the Force itself willed it.”

“Was he on his own?”

“Pretty much,” my lover considers, stretching his bearded chin.

“What did he say?”

“That he was sorry for all the hurt he caused you and that he has no objection ending the farce.”

“Are you sure it was really him?”

“Even with his war mask on, I had no trouble recognizing him. He has this certain air of pride and annoyance around him, you know.”

Wordlessly, I glide into his arms and this is how we fall asleep not much later. Two bodies entangled with one another in a gentle embrace, granting each other warmth and comfort. Love always conquers the dark side in the end. For it has more patience and endurance.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    DarthUncle, Kahara and Darth_Furio like this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    What a delightfully intense and emotionally rich update! =D= And the culinary details are appetizing! ;)