main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lego Star Wars: Secrets of the Data Disk

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by CIS Droid, Aug 9, 2018.

1. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

This is a brickfilm I've been working on since august 9th 2017, i hope you enjoy.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    @CIS Droid - was wondering what the process looked like for this film, and how much time each step took. Assuming that the story was written out before animation and sound production. Did you take inspiration from any existing SW stories?

Again, job well done!

CIS Droid likes this.
  3. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    Great question, i will try to remember how it all started.

[​IMG]

It all began after i had finished building the base, it was originally just going to be a lego moc, but then thought it would be pretty nice to actually make an animation out of it. The first scene i filmed of the movie is the one seen at 2:06. Subsequently i filmed all the other scenes that took place outside the base, because the base itself simply took up so much space i couldn't animate otherwise. For the story process, i generally had an abridged version of how the story would be already imagined, and i wrote that down so i wouldn't forget to film something. Otherwise i generally didn't plan out scenes (except drawing the environments to get a good idea from what angles i should shoot from.

That is, until i got to the chase scene at 8:45. I wanted to get it right so i made myself a storyboard to get a better idea of how i should film something i was inexperienced with. Im also really happy with how the chase turned out, and will make more storyboards for future films. I will post the storyboard and concept art at a later date.

I started animating in August of 2017 and was finished in January 2018, i didn't animate much in the later half of October and most of November, since i had life come in the way and simply didn't have time (i also needed a break from animating), then i used December and January to finish the final scenes of the animation. The final day i was animating i animated for 13 hours with only a break for lunch and dinner. The final scene i filmed was the opening space segments.

Sound editing took me from the start of January until May. It was easier than animating, but finding the proper sound effects was very time consuming. That and life was the main reason finishing the movie took so long. The poster and thumbnail took 2 days, the first day i took the photos, and the second day i turned those photos to a poster.

The plot of the film was mostly inspired by the episode "Rookies" from TCW, with the clones being the smaller and weaker force, while the data disk itself was inspired by Rogue 1. The final scenes location being a beach with the transmitter was also inspired by R1, because i thought it would be more interesting than having the setting be more forest. Other than that, i dont recall being inspired by anything, though there was a scrapped scene of an energy room that was very similar to the tractor beam scene from ANH. I never filmed this scene, but concept art exists.

That was more information that i thought it would be, thank you for the question heels and thanks for the compliment, I'm glad you like film :)

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Thanks for the detailed response - great to have commentary and a look at the process.

Cheers, amigo.

CIS Droid likes this.