main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Leia remembering Padme?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by RyanForder, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    This has always got me. When Luke ask's Leia if she remembers her mother and she says that she does yet she was only with her Mother, what, a minute? The only explanation i can think of is she means her adopted mother and then she died very young? If someone can clear this up that would be great, thank you.

2. Da'wid Yott

Da'wid Yott Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2014
    ...the only scenarios are; since the Force is strong with her as well (her father and brother too), Leia "Force Remembers" Amadala - or it is as you say and Leia is referring to Mrs. Organa (sorry do not remember her first name) - OR there is too much going on in six films, maintaining continuity is very difficult and sometimes film makers are willing to have these hiccups for the sake of their particular story.... I will have to rewatch all movies now....

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  3. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
    She means Padme. The explanation was that she remembered Padme thanks to the Force. For some reason Luke's connection wasn't as strong as Leia's at the time.

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    There's no clear answer and it's been discussed to death and beyond. Maybe EpVII will address it?

5. RyanForder

Mar 3, 2014

Sorry i am new to this.

As far as "Force Remembering" i have never heard of that? Is this mentioned in a book? or is it just something that has been thought up and stuck to the situation?

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I have recollections of my natural dad, even though he left my mom when I was one. So I dont think its completely out of the relam of reality that a strong family relationship can generate vague memories.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    And for the record, I am not a Force user.

8. RyanForder

Mar 3, 2014

I thought you was ;)

Bazinga'd likes this.
  9. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    You caught me. Bazinga.....(Lightening emerges from his fingertips and transmits to his boss, who collapses and writhes in pain on the floor.)

Nope, not Sith either.

RyanForder likes this.
  10. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    It's a plot hole.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    When ROTJ was made, the story was going to be that Leia went with Lady Skywalker to live with Bail Organa on Alderaan after the Jedi purge/rise of the Empire. Lady Skywalker would have later died there (when Leia was about two). Leia's memories would exist because she simply spent more time with her mother than Luke did (mentioned in The Making of Return of the Jedi).

But that story got changed when it came time to actually film the prequels. So now, the idea seems to be that Leia's 'memories' might be more like a latent use of the Force to have visions of the past.

12. SarlacsDinerParty

SarlacsDinerParty Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 2, 2014
    I was under the impression that it was images and feelings due to the force. But why Luke does not remember is Beyond me. Mabey its a "Girls thing" [face_blush]

13. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003

If you look hard enough, you can find what you need to plug one up.

14. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    There's nothing big enough.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    That's the theory I go with. She had visions of the past and misinterpreted them as actual memories.

16. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    The Skywalkers has very strong familial ties in general, and Leia even more than most because her family and whole planet died. If Luke could communicate telepathically with Darth Vader and Leia because of their strong ties it's not unreasonable to assume that Leia could have "remembered" her mother even if only from 9 months their were linked while Padme was pregnant.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  18. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    RyanForder Welcome.

I think it's a huge inconsistency due to Lucas' writing.

Sarge RyanForder is new here and these are questions every single new forum member is likely to ask. Just like anyone who joins the Megadeth or Metallica forums wants to know if The Four Horsemen is better than the Mechanix or like anyone who joins the official Guns n' Roses forum asks if people prefer the classic band or the new lineup.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

YODA: "Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Yes. Good. Calm, yes. Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future...the past. Old friends long gone."

ANAKIN: "I had a dream I was a Jedi. I came back here and freed all the slaves...have you come to free us?"

20. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Likely yes...I'm a stranger to the EU, but I don't think it has ever been dealt with. That's the best explaination many fans came up with.

Yeah...That's why this "Force explaination" doesn't really make sense.

Lucas wanted one of the child to remember the mother for ROTJ's scene, probably because it was emotional and moving. Like Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn details above, he came up with a little backstory pretty consistent with that. Actually it was to be mentioned in the movie when Obi-Wan speaks to Luke on Dagobah (along with Owen being Obi-Wan's brother...), but was eventually cut out, although it's in the shooting script and the novel.

Exactly why remains a mystery. Probably because Lucas wasn't completely satisfied with this and didn't want to put himself into a corner for the PT. Or maybe simply because it was thought to be unnecessary and fastidious exposition...

Then Lucas decided that Mother Skywalker/Padme would die at the end of ROTS, when Leia is just 20 seconds old, and that her fate should happen onscreen, not off...Leaving us with this strange inconsistency.

I'm actually suprised he was never questioned about this in the media when ROTS came out.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  21. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    It's just one of the many examples of the prequel trilogy contradicting the original trilogy. If anyone actually believes that he had all of this planned out, they are really gullible. He didn't even have the original trilogy all planned out.

22. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I agree that Lucas didn't have his saga completely planned out.​

However, I disagree that Padme's death is an example of the PT contradicting the OT. I'm sorry, but I feel that this stems from some belief that Leia's vague memories of Padme is a sign that she was raised by her mother as a toddler. Not only do I not see this as a sure sign, I find it extremely difficult that Padme would choose to raise one twin and give up the other one to in-laws she barely knew. I find it very disturbing that so many fans found nothing wrong with the idea of Padme doing such a thing.

I could see her raising both Luke and Leia in some far reach of the galaxy before her death; giving up both twins at the same time; or dying after giving birth to them. Apparently, Lucas chose the latter.​

If that's the case . . . then using "the Force" in the saga doesn't really make any sense. I get the feeling that many fans refuse to consider the idea of the Force being behind Leia's memories, because they want an excuse to bash the PT and state . . . again, how inferior it is to the OT.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    People also overlook the fact that Luke and Leia did not grow up in identical circumstances.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This, and I'm not interested in looking for something big enough to plug up that hole, even if such a thing existed.

Because I shouldn't have to look. Plugging up plot hole is the job of the storyteller, not the listener or viewer.

25. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    This gets thrown on the heap with the rest of the "the Force did it" sloppy storytelling fixes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.