main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Length of Episode 7

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Darkslayer, Feb 18, 2015.

1. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    Length of movies was also driven by physical median. Much like music has been. Now with blue ray you could put a 3.5h hour movie on one disc. I want to say the max length of a VHS was just over 2 h.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    As long as it needs to be.

3. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    135-140 minutes maximum.

4. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    I agree with Kasdan about blockbusters these days- in both Desolation of Smaug and Battle of the Five Armies, I was wanting them to be over for the last 10 minutes.

If the number on the die is between 1-2, the movie will be 2 hrs. 10 minutes
    If 3-4, then 2'20"
    If 5-6, then 2'30"

Edit: Ignore the second and third dice.

5. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    I really hope the pace of the movie is good and it doesn't drag.

If it's over 140 mins from the crawl to the end fanfare it will probably be too long.

Editing and storytelling are becoming lost art in movies these days.

The best ones at the moment are curiously Pixar (which releases its movies through Disney).

Nothing wrong if it's under 120 mins.

Since JJ Abrams is using IMAX cameras to record we know that likely it won't exceed the current max. IMAX time of 2.75 hrs.

Prediction: between 110-150 mins.

As a side note: I love the LOTR trilogy and own both the theatrical and extended editions. The only movie that I think is overlong due to pace is ROTK (250 mins!) :D, but SW is different than Tolkien's world

EDIT: Autocorrect woes

Forbidden Island likes this.
  6. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I would say that is more of a pacing and content issue than a length issue. They tried to put way more content into the movies than was necessary, or was good, as well as had pacing issues.

7. Sar Bandona

Sar Bandona Jedi Padawan

Aug 6, 2013
    Calling it now: 121 minutes from first title to end credits (This is a JJ fast and punchy movie after all)

8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Anyone know the "rules" of when we'll find out for sure what the running time is?

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It is not the length that counts!
    It's the... er... quality of the film.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  10. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    He's not using them for the whole movie. In fact, it's already known what was filmed in IMAX. I hope that's not spoiling anything.

Anyway, I think it'll be a minimum of 120 minutes and max. 150.

11. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Longer than Episode IV, the shortest movie (around 125 minutes) but shorter than Episode II, the longest one (I think it's around 142). So I'm guessing 126-140 minutes. Pretty specific, I know.

12. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Depends on how much stuff they need to pack in. If they have a lot, then it should be longer. If they can leave stuff out until the next movie, then keep it shorter.

13. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002

Storytelling 101.

Keep the story simple and to the point.

Seriously that's why GL fired the editor of Star Wars (ANH) even though the first editor was supposed to be really good, the edit of the movie lacked flow and pace. GL then hired a second editor and co-edited (cut) the movie to make it tighter. He completely removed the whole Biggs story arc (toshi station) and other secondary points of the story to focus on the "Luke rescues princes becomes the hero" story.

14. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    ^yep. This is the lost art of film editing.

15. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I have no problem with long movies. I think SW benefits from being fast paced, so I wouldn't expect anything over 2 & a half hours. But as long as there's important content to be had, I don't care how long it is.[face_dunno]

TheOneX_Eleazar and DARTH_BELO like this.
  16. CowMoo

CowMoo Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2001
    I'm all for a 6 hour film, as long as there is an intermission. 12 hours max though, for sleep.

17. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm of the same.

I always get "extended versions" of certain films when I can. (LOTR/HOBBIT extended versions are the ONLY versions, in my eyes.) But there are films that don't make sense to be longer,with the pacing and whatnot (can you imagine like a three-hour extended version of...The Bourne movies?),. and SW is one of those IMO.

I'm actually very glad that it has the running time of

just a few minutes over 2 hours, which is consistent with the rest of the saga.

Not sure if that's really a spoiler but just in case, as a measure of courtesy...;)

I just hope that the timeframe doesn't make the film feel rushed. Running time is actually quite a delicate game of balance, if you think about it.

18. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I only watch the Extended LOTR films,myself. The run time doesn't bother me, since I treat it more as a mini-series and watch an hour or two a night.

I admit, viewing the Star Wars films like that wouldn't really feel right. The episodes need to be watched in their entirety,IMO.

Forbidden Island and DARTH_BELO like this.
  19. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    This. I believe your'e right about VHS. In college a friend of mine had the VHS of Braveheart (two tapes), the film cuts off right about the 2 hr. mark.

One thing to bear in mind about blu ray however, is although they can take a longer film (many hours, in fact), the longer the movie is the more data it uses up on the disc. This can hinder the audio/visual quality of the film. That is one reason I was glad the LOTR extended versions were still on 2 discs. I remember reading they said they could have put each part on just one disc, but it would've sacrificed the quality. Good move!

Agreed. IMO Certain movies are just meant to be enjoyed differently. LOTR and any other long film like historical epics seem meant to invest time in. You know, kind of like reading a book. Whereas other straightforward action/sci-fi movies-SW is included in this-are more meant to be enjoyed as a slam-bang adventure experience, in one sitting. The pacing is set up as such for those films.

I can't remember the last time I watched any of the LOTR films in one sitting. With the two discs for each extended version, I basically treat it as six movies, rather than 3. One disc at a time. Then again, sometimes it WILL take me multiple weeks to get thru all the SW movies. Having a full time job, two toddlers, and other specific weekly obligations doesn't make it easy, as I'm sure some on here probz understand. My only window to watch movies is after 9pm, once everyone else is asleep (assuming I don't also fall asleep)! :p

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  20. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Well the two best films in the saga so far are the shortest.

21. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    So now it may be longer than we thought???? :confused:

apparently it's been said now that it's actually 136 minutes...

Not sure how much truth there is to that...but I guess we'll see soon enough!