main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Leslye Headland reportedly developing a female-centric SW TV series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jeff_Ferguson, Apr 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    This is from Variety, claiming that its sources are reporting a new series is in the works at Disney Plus.

~~~~~~~~
    A new “Star Wars” series is in the works at Disney Plus, Variety has learned from sources. The series hails from Leslye Headland, the co-creator, showrunner, and executive producer of the critically-acclaimed Netflix series “Russian Doll.”

Details of the exact plot of the series are being kept under wraps, but sources say it will be a female-centric series that takes place in a different part of the “Star Wars” timeline than other projects. Headland is said to be attached to write and serve as showrunner on the series, with the show currently staffing.

Reps for Disney and Headland did not immediately respond to Variety’s request for comment.

Headland also directed multiple episodes of “Russian Doll.” The show was nominated for 13 Emmy Awards for its first season, ultimately winning three. Headland began her career writing and directing the “Seven Deadly Plays” series, which includes “Bachelorette” and “Assistance.” “Bachelorette” was the basis for her directorial film debut starring Kirsten Dunst. Her other film credits include writing the 2014 remake of “About Last Night” and writing and directing “Sleeping with Other People.” Besides “Russian Doll,” her other TV credits include “Terriers,” “Blunt Talk,” “SMILF,” and “Black Monday.” She is currently under an overall deal at Fox 21 Television Studios, with the studio now under the Disney umbrella.

She is repped by Michael Sugar at Sugar23 and Steve Younger at Myman Greenspan. She is repped by UTA for directing.

News of the new series development comes after Variety exclusively reported that a third season of “The Mandalorian” is already in the works at Disney Plus ahead of the second season premiere later this year. “The Mandalorian,” one of the launch titles for the Disney-branded streamer, proved to be a major hit and pop culture phenomenon upon its release.

There are currently two other live-action “Star Wars” shows in the pipeline at Disney Plus — an Obi-Wan Kenobi series starring Ewan McGregor and a Cassian Andor/”Rogue One” prequel series starring Diego Luna. Variety exclusively reported that Joby Harold had recently joined the Obi-Wan series as the writer, while Stellan Skarsgard and Kyle Soller recently joined the Cassian Andor series.

~~~~~~~

Maybe it's just a rumor, maybe it's real, maybe everyone will forget about it in a few months like that reported JD Dillard & Matt Owens movie, but hey, here's a thread! Enjoy!

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hmmm, I wasn’t crazy about the premise behind Russian Doll. Assuming this is real, I hope the characters and plot line don’t follow that type theme.

3. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I hope for a time before the saga.

6. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Nice change of pace after the Latino-centric series' and Brito-centric series we've had so far.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ...Femo-centric?

CooperTFN likes this.
  8. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    To paraphrase Hondo:

'If one star wars movie every year is star wars fatigue.
    Two seasons of the Mandalorian is better!
    And three additional Disney + Television series? Well that's just good business!'

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    MrDarth0 and Ackbar's Fishsticks like this.
  9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Wow, seven posts in and this thread hasn't devolved into hot garbage yet! I'm shocked.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Just go looking at reddit or youtube, lol.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I wonder where in the timeline they will set this series. Will the settings of the Sequel Trilogy be out?

12. VGCinema

VGCinema Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2019
    I'm honestly really excited about this. I love Russian Doll and while I agree I don't necessarily want this show to be like that, I'm sure she'll do a great job. I would personally love it if this series was set sometime in the future myself.

Jeff_Ferguson and Xammer like this.
  13. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Did it really have to specify "female-centric" from the start? Why can't it just be a Star Wars show? Unecessary and going to cause a lot more issues (negative reactions) than if it wasn't marketed that way IMO

there ya go

Xander Vos and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Is the Internet burning yet?

Wait, it already is.

Outsourced likes this.
  15. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Gosh, those pesky females always causing *checks notes* angry fan boys to complain about them. Out of sight, out of mind I always say!

VGCinema and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  16. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    FEMALES IN MY Star Wars WHAT !!

VGCinema and Xammer like this.
  17. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Its sad that there already youtubers out there putting out videos titled 'DISNEY IS PLANNING TO REBOOT STAR WARS TIMELINE WITH FEMALE CENTRISM'

Cos a star wars show with a female main character just has to be a part of some agenda right?

18. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I'm curious to see if it'll be an established character or a new one?

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It hasn't been marketed as anything. It's a story from a Hollywood trade publication from "sources." Calm down.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  20. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    "marketed" was a poor choice of words. Wouldn't surprise me if the story was deliberately reported that way for click-baity reasons with the intention of stirring the pot

either way it would be nice to just avoid this kind of completely unecessary conflict. Just make the show. Make it a female lead.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  21. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    It wouldn't be 'stirring the pot' if there weren't so many people hyper-focused on "female centric" in this fandom.

Jeff_Ferguson and VGCinema like this.
  22. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    obviously. what's your point

23. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    My point is that it's not on them to leave out "female centric". It's on us to make the community a place where something like that isn't received with vitriol by bad actors and people who are passive to them

Dawud786, VGCinema and Daneira like this.
  24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'm more interested about the vagueness about the Timeline....They say it's a place in the timeline that hasn't been focused on.

In terms of Live Action TV areas that are focused on is

Post ROTJ Era

and Dark Times

That leaves
    High Republic
    OT Era
    ST ERA
    Prequel Era.

25. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    It can be both. It's not a matter of "leaving out" female-centric so as not to trigger overly-sensitive bigots, as you are implying. It's a matter of just treating everything as normal and acting as if there's nothing special about having a female lead. Judging every product, and announcing every product, by the gender it's led by is toxic in and of itself, and more importantly recent history shows us that it doesn't work and is more likely to hamstring your product than help it.

And yes I'm aware that this is clearly an overreaction to just one report at this stage so apologies for that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.