main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Lesser-Known Fandoms] Tell us about yours! (image-heavy)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by poor yorick, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue
    1972-2007 UK radio panel game
    I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, billed as "The Antidote to Panel Games," was a mainstay of BBC Radio 4 for thirty-five years. For almost all that run, the chairman was jazz trumpeter Humphrey Lyttleton. The regular panelists were Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graeme Garden (both also members of the Goodies), Barry Cryer, and, until his death in 1996, Willie Rushton. Lyttleton, aided by pianist Colin Sell and by his lovely (and fictional) assistant Samantha, led the panelists through games such as One Song to the Tune of Another, Late Arrivals for the Ball, Mornington Crescent, Cheddar Gorge, and Sound Charades. In this last, each team of two would be given a title and would act out a scene hinting at that title. Garden and Cryer, usually paired together for this game, created two recurring characters, the elderly Scotsmen Hamish and Dougal, who often featured in their scenes. [The characters even got a spin-off radio program, which had much of the same punny humor and cheap double entendre of ISIHAC.] Sadly, Lyttleton passed away early in 2008, bringing this long-running institution to an end.

Happy Tree Friends
    2000-present US internet cartoon
    Happy Tree Friends is a series of Flash cartoon shorts about an assortment of very cute young animals (with names like Cuddles, Giggles, and Lumpy) who invariably die violent, graphic deaths. Characters are routinely impaled, burned, sliced, and more, all in gruesome detail; however, unlike certain cat-and-mouse cartoons, these deaths are usually accidental. These characters simply can't do anything without killing themselves and/or those around them.

EDIT: Dana, I have the '91 revival on DVD, but haven't bought any of the original series yet. If you do get the later series, there's one thing you should know first. Even though the show was filmed in the usual 4:3 aspect ratio for television, the DVD is widescreen. It's basically pan-and-scan, but vertical. It had never occurred to me to check for that, and I was not happy when I found out. I'm not all that excited about the movie, but then I'm not a huge Tim Burton fan; I like some of his films and dislike others. Now have you listened to any of the audios made a couple years ago?

2. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    Ehm... I do feel a little out of place with my other fandom. Small and about ten years old, but still alive, still generating new stories - and absolutely not fantasy or Sci-Fi at all.

It does have seven gorgeous cowboys though. One of which is portrayed by Michael Biehn :p, but I guess there's an archetype for everyone, so maybe that's why it keeps such a dedicated group of followers and still attracts new fans.

It's the Magnificent Seven TV series.

The boys are described (short!) here: http://www.magnificent7.com/characters.html

Most stories that are written in this fandom can be found on the excellent Blackraptor site: http://www.blackraptor.net/m7fic/index.htm

I'm not saying all stories are good, but there are wonderful ones. One that captures the feel of the original OW setting, from a wonderful writer is this one:

http://www.blackraptor.net/m7fic-33/candles/index.htm

And now for what makes this fandom different from most others, the alternative universes! These seven guys have been written in about every universe you can think off, including Star Trek, and yes, even Star Wars! There's a whole set of Star Wars stories, set just after Palpatine's victory and the killing of most of the Jedis:

http://www.ans.com.au/~gsuter/au2.htm

The alternative universe they are written in mostly though is as a team of modern day ATF agents. That alternative universe has so many stories, that it has almost become a sort of tv-series that's never been on tv [face_laugh] Again, not all stories are good, but a lot definitely are. And this I think is one of the best:

http://www.blackraptor.net/m7fic-30/aftermath/index.htm

Oh heck, all of the stories of this author are good, so if this one is too long and on the (probably very slight) chance someone thinks it's worth trying out this fandom and see about the modern variant, just pick some of her shorter ones :)

3. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Feb 7, 2005
    [This is probably about the point when someone'll put out a contract on my life for the good of humanity.]

Into the Labyrinth
    1981-1982 UK television series (21 episodes)
    Into the Labyrinth was a UK children's adventure that ran for three seasons of seven episodes each. Only the first was aired in the US, as one of the rotating titles of the Nickelodeon series The Third Eye. The story centered on three kids recruited by a sorceror named Rothgo (Ron Moody) to seek out the mystical Nidus. They traveled to various historical periods to find the Nidus, which was disguised as a different ordinary object in each location and could only be identified by its glowing reflection. Trying to stop them with the villainous Belor (Pamela Salem), who would deny them the Nidus, sending it away to another time and place. Because of the show's low budget, every historical period was realized by redressing the same cave set.

4. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Magnificent Seven! Never saw the show, but the movie had a great theme song. Geek moment: Laurie Holden played Marita Covarrubias on the X-Files, plus Deb in Fantastic Four. :p And I can't believe some young folks haven't heard of Edward Scissorhands. What is this world coming to?! I feel old.

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I'm always amazed by the sheer number of fandoms. I've never even heard of half of the names listed here.

5. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    :D That geek moment could go right into a plot bunny, JadeSolo! Mag7/X-files cross-over with Laurie Holden as the link. Since her name was Mary in Mag7... Mary/Marita....

6. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Feb 7, 2005
    Yes, it makes me want to go back and write entries for every fandom I've done that's from more than a couple years ago, just in case. :(

Skipping the ones I put up, I've actually watched Edward Scissorhands, The 4400, The Magnificent Seven, and Dinotopia (miniseries and series -- the former had a few big names, including Wentworth Miller and David Thewlis), and I've at least heard of all the others. [Though I do have to admit that if not for X-Play, I probably would not have known about S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and may not have known about Elder Scrolls.]

EDIT: In fact, here are a few more of mine:

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
    1963 US film
    Directed by Stanley Kramer
    Intended to be the ultimate comedy film, this movie featured literally dozens of the era's best-known comedians and comic actors, including Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Buddy Hackett, Ethel Merman, Mickey Rooney, Dick Shawn, Phil Silvers, Terry-Thomas, and Jonathan Winters in major roles. The plot, such as it was, concerned the race to find cash hidden by a criminal (Jimmy Durante), who died in a car crash at the film's start but not before telling witnesses that the loot was under a giant W. As an ever-growing assortment of characters rushed to find the buried money, often leaving chaos and destruction in their wake, they were tracked by the police, led by captain Spencer Tracy.

The Italian Job
    1969 UK film
    Directed by Peter Collinson
    Before there was Wahlberg, there was Caine. Michael Caine played Charlie Croker in the original British film The Italian Job. Just out of prison, Croker is given a plan for a gold heist in Turin, Italy, and in order to assemble a gang and pull it off, he seeks help from the crime boss, Mr. Bridger (Noël Coward). The movie's most famous sequence is the criminals' escape from Turin in Minis,* and another highlight is the score by Quincy Jones (including the song "Get a Bloomin' Move On," also known as "The Self-Preservation Society").

The Loop
    2006-2007 US television series (17 episodes)
    The Loop was a short-lived Fox series that ran for seven episodes in the spring of 2006, got a surprised renewal for the next season, and was then canceled before it returned to the air. [The ten episodes made for the second season were burned off in the summer of 2007.] The show centered on Sam Sullivan (Bret Harrison), a young executive at an airline in Chicago, where he dealt with his unpredictable boss Russ (Philip Baker Hall) and lecherous mentor Meryl (Mimi Rogers). At home, he lived with his brother Sully (Eric Christian Olsen), as well as Piper (Amanda Loncar) and Lizzy (Sarah Wright). Piper and Lizzy did not appear in the second season. After The Loop was axed, Harrison went on to star on Reaper, playing a character named Sam Oliver.

*If you don't know what a Mini is, the high-end version is called the Mini Cooper (which is what they used in the remake). Though not acknowledged as such, the fact the Nigel Powers' car in the third Austin Powers film was a Mini was almost certainly a reference to The Italian Job.

7. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Drabbi, you just made my day. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World is a family favorite. :)

Name of original work: Quantum Leap
    Original creator: Don Bellisario
    Original language and country of origin: English, USA
    Media type: TV series, books
    Short summary: From the Show's intro, we have Sam himself: "It all started when a time travel experiment I was conducting went... "a little caca". In the blink of a cosmic clock, I went from quantum physicist, to Air force test-pilot. Which could have been fun... if I knew how to fly. Fortunately, I had help - an observer from the Project named Al. Unfortunately Al's a hologram, so all he can lend is moral support. Anyway here I am, bouncing around in time, putting things right that once went wrong, a sort of time traveling Lone Ranger, with Al as my Tonto. And I don't even need a mask... ("Oh boy!")."
    Links for more info: Wikipedia Article, Al's Place, The Accelerator Chamber, and The Quantum Leap Information Kiosk

And, for further adventures beyond the show's five seasons: Quantum Leap: The Virtual Seasons

8. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Feb 7, 2005
    First, I shudder at the idea of Quantum Leap being a lesser-known fandom. Back in the day, it was one of the few fandoms to have a .creative (fanfic) newsgroup on Usenet. [It had a couple, actually.] Star Wars never had one, which was why I didn't start writing anything for that fandom until I came here years later.

For doing fic for it or for listing it here?

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Edward Scissorhands is good. And I loooove the Italian Job, but the Wahlberg version; never saw the original.

10. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Listing it here... Why? You planning one?

Um... Lesser-known on an SW board. Better-known everywhere else.

Name of original work: Out Of This World
    Original creator: Steven Kunes
    Media type: TV series
    Short summary: Out Of This World was a children's television comedy series about a teenage girl who is half alien, which gives her unique supernatural powers.
    Links for more info: Wikipedia Article
    Images: It's sad that this was the only image I could find...

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4d/Outofthiswolrd.JPG]

11. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    DaenaBenjen42: It's sad that this was the only image I could find...

Hmm . . .

*checks Wiki link*

*Google Images for "Evie-Ethel-Garland"*

I believe the girl in the top row doing the thing with her fingers is Evie, yes?

Image googling for "out-of-this-world" got me a couple more. I suspect you can find others with the right key words.

- lazy

12. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Feb 7, 2005
    Everything I've listed here is something I've posted already.

I remember Out of This World; many years ago, I once did the Time Warp with one of the show's cast members.

13. DaenaBenjen42

May 15, 2005
    Huh... I didn't think of checking google? :oops: Ooops... Thanks, Lazy. :)

Am doing these together because they happened in the same year.

Name of original work: Earth 2
    Original creator(s): Michael Duggan, Carol Flint, Mark Levin, Billy Ray
    Media type: TV Series
    Short summary: In the future, the human race is living in space stations orbiting a dead Earth. Faced with a debilitating disease attacking her young son, Devon Adair and a band of non-conformists leave their artificial environment and travel to a distant planet, where they begin a new life for themselves.
    Links for more info: Wikipedia Article, Eden Advance Homepage, and Destiny and Earth 2

[image=http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/8356/maine2.jpg]

Name of original work: Space: Above and Beyond
    Original creator(s): Glen Morgan and James Wong
    Short summary: Earth is embroiled in a desperate war against invaders and this series focused on one squad of marines involved in it. (Or, as the TV guide summary put it: Star Wars meets Top Gun. And no, I'm NOT making that high concept summary up.)
    Links for more info:Wikipedia Article, Beyond the Bitter End

[image=http://www.cyberpursuits.com/heckifiknow/saab/images/saab-splash.jpg]

And this one because I got a surprise while looking for something else... (This is not obscure, but there is that fun factor...)

Name of original work: Bonanza
    Original creator: David Dortort
    Short summary: The adventures of Ben Cartwright and his sons as they run and defend their ranch while helping the surrounding community.
    Links for more info:Wikipedia Article, Bonanza World, The Bonanza Page

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/Bonanza.jpg]

14. DreamingIce

DreamingIce Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2005
    Not sure if this can qualify as a minor, but where I am, it's definately a minor... :(

Name of original work: NCIS
    Original creator(s): Donald Bellisario
    Short summary: A spin-off of JAG, NCIS follows a group of federal agents from the Naval Criminal Investigative Service. Lead by ex-marine Gibbs, the team works together to solve crimes involving personnel from the navy and the marines. Plenty of laughs from team interactions.
    Links for more info: Wikipedia Article,

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/20/Ncis_cast_main.jpg]

Name of original work: Sea Patrol
    Original creator(s): Hal and Di McElroy
    Original language and country of origin: English, Australia
    Short summary: Follows the adventures and trials of the crew of an Australian Navy Patrol boat, the HMAS Hammersley. With a crew of just over 20 people crammed in on top of each other, it also has some great character interactions. And you get to see the characters kick some serious butt.
    Links for more info:Wikipedia Article, Unoffical Fansite

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9e/Meettheproducers1.jpg]

Name of original work: Deltora Quest
    Original creator: Emily Rodda
    Original language and country of origin: English, Australia
    Media type: Book Series
    Short summary: Leif and his friends journey to restore a magical belt that will help to free their land, Deltora, from the grasp and influences of the sinister Shadowlord.
    Links for more info:Wikipedia Article

[image=http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n10/n54731.jpg]

15. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Feb 7, 2005
    Wow, Sea Patrol was the first fandom in this thread that I didn't know. I wasn't sure about posting these, since the drabbles I did for each were unpostable (both had real people in them), but here they are anyway.

Greg the Bunny
    2002 US television series (13 episodes)
    Greg the Bunny was another in the long line of short-lived Fox series with a cult following. The central character (voiced by Dan Milano) was a puppet living in LA and working on a children's television show called Sweetknuckle Junction, which had a mixed cast of puppets (including the ape Warren Demontague (Milano) and vampire Count Blah (Drew Massey)) and humans. Greg's roommate Jimmy (Seth Green) was the son of the show's producer (Eugene Levy). Before the Fox series, Greg, Warren, and Blah had appeared in segments produced for the Independent Film Channel, to which they later returned.

Liar's Club
    1969, 1976-1979 US television series
    Liar's Club was a syndicated game show in which contestants had to decide which of four celebrity panelists was giving a true description of an object. It ran for a single season in 1969 with Rod Serling as the host, and for three seasons in the '70s with first Bill Armstrong and then Allen Ludden playing host. Frequent panelists during the '70s run included Fannie Flagg, Dick Gautier, Betty White, and Hogan's Heroes alum Larry Hovis.

16. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    This fandom is not particularly obscure, but it's rather small compared to some other ones. It's a comfy group of followers, mostly for the TV films. But the books have their devotees too.

Name of original work: Horatio Hornblower

Original creator(s): C.S. Forester

Original language and country of origin: English, United Kingdom

Media type: Novels, TV Series, Film

Short summary: The chronicles of a most extraordinary and imperfect man in the British Royal Navy during the Age of Sail.

Links for more info: Wikipedia Entry, Best Fan Site

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/leiamoody/hornblower/371787a6fx_600.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/leiamoody/hornblower/grandturk.jpg]

17. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Name of original work: Dragon Riders of Pern (AKA DRoP)

[/b]Original creator(s)[/b]: Anne McCaffery/Todd McCaffery

Media type: Novel

[/b]Short summary[/b]: Dragonriders use their dragons to combat the threat of Thread.

Links for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonriders_of_Pern#Original_trilogy

Name of original work: The Young Wizard Series (So You Want to Be a Wizard, Deep Wizardry, High Wizardry, A Wizard Abroad, A Wizard's Dilema, A Wizard Alone, A Wizard's Holiday, Wizards at War [A Wizard of Mars], Uptown Local [short story]); the Feline Wizards series (The Book of Night With Moon, To Visit the Queen)

[/b]Original creator(s)[/b]: Diane Duane

Media type: Novel

[/b]Short summary[/b]: Young wizards Nita Callahan and Kit Rodriguez discover wizardry, and join the fight against the Lone Power and his tool, entropy.

Links for more info: http://www.youngwizards.com (main website);

http://www.youngwizards.com/ErrantryWiki/index.php/Main_Page (Errantry Wiki)

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I wouldn't say that that's very unknown (at least in the SFF world), though I'll admit I haven't read them. I liked her series about the unicorn girl, though (at least, the first book. I keep trying to read the whole series and end up getting a couple books in, stopping, and then deciding to try again a couple years later, but again giving up after the first couple 8-} ).

19. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    I would agree with you that it isn't quite as unknown as some of the other fandoms here. DRoP has certainly always had a big roleplay following (it was, in fact, my very first roleplay) but it's only been opened up this past year for fanfiction.

I never got into the Acorna series either... never picked them up, in fact. Or her ship (The Ship Who Sang, etc...) series. But if you've never read the Dragon Riders of Pern stuff, you're really missing out. She also has another series, which I forgot to put up, called the Talent series, starting with Pegasus in Flight which is also really good.

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'll have to try them :)

Yeah, she's the one with the limited fanfic, I think.

21. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Feb 7, 2005
    I got a few in my last drabble post, so let's start with two from Week 13.

Sasuke/Ninja Warrior
    Japanese television program (20 competitions)
    Sasuke (aired in the US as Ninja Warrior) is a semi-annual athletic contest held in Japan, in which a hundred competitors try to run a grueling four-stage obstacle course. Most never make it to the end of the first stage, and many of the tournaments have ended with no one making it past the third. In fact, only twice in the twenty times it's been run (in the fourth and seventeenth editions) has anyone actually won the whole thing. These run as specials in Japan, but the US version (airing on the cable channel G4) edits these into a varying number of half-hour episodes. These air mostly with subtitles, though linking segments have an English-speaking announcer. A related all-female competition (Kunoichi) airs in the US as Women of Ninja Warrior.

Nebulous
    UK radio program (18 episodes)
    Nebulous is a BBC Radio 4 comedy set in the year 2099, sometime after a disaster called the Withering reshaped the planet and destroyed much of humanity's knowledge of the past. It stars Mark Gatiss as Professor Nebulous, the leader of the Key Environmental Nonjudgmental Taskforce, an agency that investigates unusual phenomena and takes in laundry on the side. Among his team are Paula (Rosie Cavaliero), Rory (Graham Duff), and Harry (Paul Putner), who sadly no longer has the luxury of many of his former body parts. Storylines are often broad parodies of other science fiction series, and running gags include Nebulous's flashbacks to his childhood in a family of circus clowns.

22. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Name of original work: Red Dwarf

Original creator(s): Rob Grant and Doug Naylor

Media type: TV Series, etc.

Short summary: Imagine if you will, the last human alive in the universe, stuck in a mining ship with the hologram of a dead megalomaniac, a humanoid lifeform that used to be a cat, and the ship's computer that has lost most of its IQ...and that's just for starters.

Links for more info:Wiki Entry, Official Site

[image=http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/about/images/about.jpg]

Name of original work: Hellraiser

Original creator(s): Clive Barker

Media type: Novella, Film

Short summary: Fiddle with the gold box, lose your flesh and soul to a demon with pins in his head.

Links for more info: The Hellbound Web

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c4/Hellraiser_poster.png]

23. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Feb 7, 2005
    Red Dwarf? Lesser-known? Really?

24. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    You'd be surprised...maybe it all depends on what sort of places a person goes to on the Net. Among sci-fi fans in a certain age group, they've more than likely heard of Red Dwarf. But there are other groups/communities where the most common reaction is "Whaa?"

Of course, if you really want to talk about obscure fandoms...Alien Nation, film or TV series. I used to like the latter back in the old days. Friday the 13th: The Series...Tales From The Darkside...Monsters...o hai, I'm really dating myself here :oops: .

25. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Feb 7, 2005
    Given where we are, I think SF fandom can be safely inferred.

Now for all these fandoms people are listing, do you guys have stories to go with them?

EDIT: To keep this on-topic, here are the three relatively obscure fandoms from Week 14.

Nero Wolfe
    US novels/short stories
    Created by Rex Stout
    For forty years, the great detective Nero Wolfe was the central figure of the novels and short stories of writer Rex Stout. Wolfe was brilliant, but temperamental and eccentric. He very rarely ever left his home on West 35th St. in New York; if anyone wanted to talk to him, they had to go there and at a time convenient to him. He followed a strict schedule, which included several hours each day dedicated to his orchids, during which he was not to be disturbed. [Because of his weight, usually described as a fraction of a ton, Wolfe used an elevator to get to and from the rooftop greenhouse.] To handle legwork, he relied on his full-time assistant Archie Goodwin, who also narrated the stories, and others hired on a case-by-case basis. The characters have been adapted for other media, including a television series earlier this decade starring Maury Chaykin as Wolfe and Timothy Hutton as Archie.

Old Harry's Game
    UK radio series (6 seasons)
    Created by Andy Hamilton
    Old Harry's Game is another BBC Radio 4 comedy. This one is written by comedian Andy Hamilton, who also stars as Satan. Yes, that Satan. Centuries of torturing condemned souls has left him with a very jaded view of human nature. During the earlier seasons, he spent much of his time with a professor (James Grout) who steadfastly maintained a more optimistic outlook despite both his current circumstances and Satan's repeated efforts to prove how nasty people could be. A recurring feature is the mention of famous figures experiencing the agony of eternal torment, including some who might've been expected to go the other way.

Police Squad!
    1982 US television series (6 episodes)
    Created by Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker
    Even if you've never seen Police Squad! (in color), you're likely familiar with it; the series was the inspiration for the Naked Gun films. Like the later films, the series starred Leslie Nielsen as Frank Drebin, a detective in Police Squad (his rank shifted from scene to scene or even line to line). However, there were some differences. Captain Ed Hocken (George Kennedy in the film) was played by Alan North. Drebin's subordinate wasn't Officer Nordberg (nor did he look like O.J. Simpson) but Officer Norberg, played by Peter Lupus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.