main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - ST Let the Dice Fall Where They May (Phasma, Maz Kanata, Lando Calrissian) COMPLETED w/ Pt.3 & art

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by GreyBard, May 5, 2017.

1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    This story came very highly recommended to me, and it absolutely did not disappoint! First, I have to echo what the others have said about the very unique combination of characters used here, and you really get it to work, with flying colors. Their interactions are all very natural and sensible and fit well with the scenario you’ve set up, with the First Order and Republic/Resistance maybe kind of sort of having to work together against the Syndiens.

One thing that strikes me about the three main characters you’ve chosen here—Lando, Maz, and Phasma—is that they’re all arguably shortchanged by the ST in one way or another. Lando we haven’t seen at all in the sequel films; Maz looked in Ep. 7 as though she might play a big role, but she kind of petered out in Ep. 8. And Phasma has been just kind of a nebbish in both Eps. 7 and 8. But here they all get to play roles that are pivotally important to the story and to the future of the First Order and Resistance alike. I especially love how Maz in particular functions as the linchpin joining everything together, setting important things in motion on both sides of the conflict; it’s a role into which that character fits well, and her interactions with both Lando and Phasma at various points in the story are just so much fun to read.

Also, if I understand right, with Hux out of the way (and wow, what a scene that was), Phasma is the new Supreme Leader of the First Order by the end of the story. Rather fun to see her in that kind of prominent position, and she’s likely to do a much better job at it than the Certain Byronic-Haired Villain who inherited that title at the end of Ep. 8! :p

Wonderful stuff here, and what a very fine and unique AU you have established. I would be curious to see more stories sometime—so please keep them coming and don’t be a stranger! :D

GreyBard and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. GreyBard

GreyBard Jedi Master

Oct 28, 2005
    Thank you! This fic is near and dear to my heart - I spent a really long time dreaming it up and writing it, and I'm happy with the way it came out. I absolutely love the hinted at potential in Lando and Maz, and I'm completely hoping that Maz and Phasma get bigger parts in the next movie. Though the Phasma in The Last Jedi's deleted scenes (but mostly the book and comic that came out after I wrote this fic) is both more savage and more fearful than my Phasma, I'm still interested in what both canon Phasma and this AU's Phasma will get up to next. (Yes, I'm trying to come up with a sequel - though mostly it will be about other characters. And no, I absolutely DON'T believe Phasma is actually dead. If Darth Maul can come back half robo-spider, there is no way Phasma is dead.)

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    I'm glad I found this story. Maz is probably my favorite character from the sequel trilogy, and it's often difficult to find good stories featuring her as a main character. She and Lando make such an excellent team that I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else writing fics with that particular dynamic.

Really liked the way you balanced darker moments (Hux's assassination) with lighter ones ("civilian outreach") The entire story read very smoothly from beginning to end, with enough detail to convey the action, but not so much that it bogged down the storytelling.

And I think this is the first time I've seen anyone reference the lyrics to "Nobody's Side." I picked up the soundtrack to that play back in the early '90s, but didn't realize anyone else remembered it..