main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Let the GameDevs Hit the (show)...FLOORRRR!!: E3 2020 (it's a no-go)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , May 26, 2019.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

11 days until the events leading to the main show are upon us... it'll be an interesting change of pace this year. No Sony, no Reggie.

E3 2019 (and pre-E3 events) Schedule:

Wednesday, June 5th
    6:00AM PST / 9:00AM EST: Pokemon Nintendo Direct

Thursday, June 6th
    9:00AM PST / 12:00PM EST: Google Stadia Connect
    10:00AM PST / 1:00PM EST: Bungie Destiny 2 Stream

Friday, June 7th - Sunday, June 9th
    "Friday Night" PST: EA Play, w/ new "Kickoff" event. No other info yet.

Saturday, June 8th
    9:15AM PST / 12:15PM EST: Countdown to EA Play
    9:30AM PST / 12:30PM EST: EA Play: Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
    10:00AM PST / 1:00PM EST: EA Play: Apex Legends
    10:30AM PST / 1:30PM EST: EA Play: Battlefield V
    11:00AM PST / 2:00PM EST: Super Mario Maker 2 Invitational 2019
    11:00AM PST / 2:00PM EST: EA Play: EA Sports FIFA
    11:30AM PST / 2:30PM EST: Splatoon 2 World Championship 2019
    11:30AM PST / 2:30PM EST: EA Play: EA Sports Madden NFL
    12:00PM PST / 3:00PM EST: EA Play: The Sims 4
    2:00PM PST / 5:00PM EST: Super Smash Bros Ultimate World Championship 2019 3v3

Sunday, June 9th

1:00PM PST / 4:00PM EST: Microsoft
    5:30PM PST / 8:30PM EST: Bethesda

Monday June 10th
    10:00AM PST / 1:00PM EST: PC Gaming Show
    12:00PM PST / 3:00 EST: Limited Run Games
    1:00PM PST / 4:00PM EST: Ubisoft
    4:30PM PST / 7:30PM EST: Kinda Funny Games Showcase
    6:00PM PST / 9:00PM EST: Square Enix
    8:00PM PST / 11:00PM EST: Devolver Digital

Tuesday June 11th
    9:00AM PST / 12:00PM EST: Nintendo Direct
    After Nintendo Direct: Nintendo Treehouse Live

Wednesday June 12th
    9:00AM PST / 12:00PM EST: Nintendo Treehouse Live

Thursday June 13th
    9:00AM PST / 12:00PM EST: Nintendo Treehouse Live

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Ah, the weekend of the video game industry's self-flagellation is upon us again, with fewer participants and less hype than ever before.

I'm honestly not expecting much of value this year, given that it's not even a secret that we're in the final year of the current gen consoles. So unless Microsoft is going to use E3 this year to drop a surprise megaton about getting a leg up on Sony by releasing the next Xbox this year (Which isn't unprecedented, the Xbox 360 launched a year before the PS3) or Bethesda reveal either Starpoint or Elder Scrolls 6 is actually a current gen title aiming for this winter, this E3 is going to be incredibly slow going for major news.

I'm all over three whole days of Nintendo Treehouse stuff though.

Also looks like KojiPro are taking advantage of no Sony show this year and are bringing the most important goods early.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Outsourced likes this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It'd be nice if Nintendo finally clarified the Switch remodel scenario (cheaper portable only? Mild DS vs DSi spec shift?) or announced a price drop or something that's apparently been rumored forever, speaking in my professional capacity as someone that wants to buy a Switch but has to keep holding off.

So naturally they're saying they won't. [face_plain]

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Just give me the release date for Cyberpunk so that I know when I need to finish my backlog by.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Current word is the hardware revisions won't announced- which means they possibly won't even be out this year (get one more holiday season out of the current hardware with Pokemon, Animal Crossing & SMM2 pushing sales before launching something next year- get the hardcore fans and hype kids sold now, then sell the more kid-friendly system at other kids next year for a Pokemon/AC round 2 boost of sorts).

With Sony not present, it's easy to think that, but I think you might be underestimating things. Ubisoft supposedly has 3 unannounced AAA games (1 is probably Watch Dogs 3) plus hopefully more info on BG&E2 and Skull & Bones; Square might finally give us info on the Avengers game, plus they have FF7 Remake (plus they have the big Sony slot, so that indicates they have enough other stuff to show and step up with to try to make up for past years presentations); Microsoft just spent the last year or so buying up a bunch of studios to fix their lack of software exclusives problem, so we're almost certainly going to at least some announcements showing off the fruit of that. Not to mention their various services which could leverage some interesting announcements; Nintendo only deals in 6 month chunks usually, but even just elaborating on the stuff we already know about it would be pretty substantive; And expected things like Cyberpunk should probably give us a healthy meal of demo footage on other platforms.

Also, we're not necessarily in the final year of this generation- there were rumors/indicators that PS5 might follow Nintendo's path and aim for a spring 2021 release, especially since you have several major 1st party titles like Ghosts of Tushima & TLOU2 yet to hit, which they may try to coast a final year out of (since PS5 will likely be PS4 backwards compatible, they don't have to worry about multi-gen ports).

6. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Aside from major surprises, the only things I'm interested in is more from Cyberpunk 2077 and seeing what Bungie are doing for Destiny 2. I've less than zero interest in Death Stranding and as much as I'm looking forward to TLoU2 I want to go into that as blind as possible.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

The only part of the entire show I'm interested in.

8. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    On Ubisoft: One of those unannounced titles was leaked, and is a new fantasy sports thing called Roller Champions. Skull and Bones was confirmed to be a no show this year, as it's being rebuilt from the ground up due to negative feedback from the gameplay reveal. I'm expecting to see something of Beyond Good and Evil 2, but that's undoubtedly a next-gen title. So, speaking as someone who had been demanding BG&E2 for years, I can't get excited about any status report on the game, given Ubisoft's history of over promising on what next-gen titles can deliver. (And deliberately nerfing the PC versions to cover up the disparity.)

Given the proximity to Endgame, I'm certain Square will show off their Avengers title, but I'm not really interested in it after there were rumours that suggested it was being built around the GaaS model, similar to Destiny and Anthem. It's up to Squeenix to surprise me there. They're probably going to show off more of the FF7 remake, but that also lost me once it became clear that it was built around the FFXV combat system, so even the rumours of a surprise demo launch don't excite me there. They do have that new IP being made by Platinum that they announced last E3, so there's that, but that's not going to be a game that sets the world on fire, Platinum is a pretty niche company. And with all of Square Enix's other major studios having only just come off of major titles, I can't see them having anything else in the pipeline to announce.

While Microsoft spent all that money on new studios, none of them have had much time to get much further than concept stages, so I doubt we'll be seeing any concrete new IP yet, especially as Microsoft clearly indicated that its strategy of acquiring new studios was to make their next gen system more appealing. Heck, one of their latest acquisitions, Obsidian, has it in their contract that they're allowed to get The Outer Worlds released on time, with any necessary post launch support, before moving on to any new project for Microsoft. So unless Microsoft are announcing their next-gen system, with a bunch of pre-rendered trailers for concepts of games, I honestly doubt that we'll see much out of them other than Gears 5, a bunch of third party titles (Including a new open world title from From Software if rumours are true, which is exciting, but is a similar case to Platinum in that it's an incredibly niche thing.) and maybe Halo Infinite.

I do agree that Nintendo should be interesting, as I said before, I'm all in for three days of Nintendo Treehouse if nothing else. But I'm not expecting much in the way of new announcements, given that the second half of 2019 is pretty stacked for Switch titles. Maybe a gameplay unveiling of Animal Crossing and some new second party titles similar to Hyrule Warriors and Mario + Rabbids at a push, and even then I doubt any new second party announcements will be that big, out of fear of cannibalising the release schedule that they already have set.

As for Cyberpunk? I have faith that when that game comes out that it'll look like what they show, but like BG&E2 there is no way what they're showing is capable of running on current gen machines, given how garbage Witcher 3 ran on consoles at times. That game is exciting specifically because it's our look at what next gen is capable of, and is probably why Cyberpunk will be making an appearance at E3, but only as a hands off title.

And I think it's really no secret that next year is when the PS5 is out. That's when press insiders have said it's out, Sony are already openly talking about specs for the new machine and the whole reason Sony are skipping E3 this year is because, in their words, they currently aren't working on anything that they can show publicly. Which given how far ahead of time Sony like to reveal their products, is quite telling in itself.

TL;DR the only thing that is certain to save this E3 from being a bore is Mecha-Struthers.

[​IMG]

The2ndQuest likes this.
  9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The whole show's a dinosaur so of course it's getting meh on such a down year. People keep talking about how MS might pull a big surprise but nobody actually announces their consoles at E3 anymore; I guess that means I'd be admittedly more shocked if they did, but I'd also have to turn around and wonder what the **** they were thinking not announcing it in a more isolated news window.

Anyway I would sort of be in the camp excited for Square Enix but they seem to really not understand what makes for a fun spectacle so...

Chewgumma likes this.
  10. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Lies.

[​IMG]

Rew likes this.
  11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah except I was like "OH MY GOD IT'S YOKO TARO IN AN EMIL MASK! NIER 2!" and the rest of the internet was like "Huh?" and frankly I will never forgive anyone for that.

Also the rest of that conference was turbo ass. Like regular ass but supercharged.

Chewgumma likes this.
  12. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Just because the rest of the internet doesn't understand the inherent spectacle that is Yoko Taro doesn't make it any less of a spectacle.

And boy is he a spectacle that puts anything the rest of E3 has ever done to shame.

[​IMG]

Ramza likes this.
  13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Just give me the Devolver Digital presentation and throw away the rest of the show.

Chewgumma likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's been plenty of time for them to make some announcements. I'm not expecting any to be current gen or to even necessarily show heavy gameplay (if any). But some announcement teasers (be they cinematics or logos) seem pretty likely. It'll give them a stepping stone to bounce hype off of the fuller reveals later at either the VG Awards or next year's E3 for whatever next-gen launch lineup they want to finalize.

15. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Bethesda and SquareEnix are my must watch’s.

No Sony feels strange but whatever I ll get over it.

Nintendo better be better than last years especially now that i(I mean my kids) have a Switch.

16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    It'll be sad to not have Reggie doing a Nintendo Direct during the show, but oh well, he had a very good run.

I was thinking they might announce Pokemon Sword/Shield's release date at E3, but Nintendo is already having a Pokemon Direct tomorrow night, so never mind that. Probably some new Switch bundles or even a console revision, some Zelda news (Link's Awakening is next I think?) and some more game announcements. Nintendo's gotten their own routine down pretty well by now.

Its strange not having a Sony show this year, but they're trying to branch out into their own shows too rather than jostling for attention during E3. And definitely no PS5 this year (probably some hints, but they'll save an announcement for somewhere else), but I expect Last of Us 2 news at least, probably another gameplay demo. I just hope Sony doesn't repeat their own mistakes (or Microsoft's) during the console transition (like how they bungled the PS2 to PS3 transition).

Microsoft is a bit harder to predict. They're the ones who have to make up for lost time during this generation, and at the very least they still have Halo 6, er, Infinite in the works. Unless they make that a launch title for the next Xbox. I could see Microsoft trying to rush an announcement, maybe even a launch this year (unlikely but you never know) to get ahead of Sony, but some of us still remember RROD.

More FF7 would be interesting, but I've lost interest in Square-Enix a bit after Kingdom Hearts 3 came out (at long, long last). Maybe I'll pay attention again in another decade when they start dropping hints for the next KH game.

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Okay I'll just get my most contrarian take out of the way: I'd honestly rather the overt marketing BS of every other press conference than that insidious "subversive" guerilla marketing. You know brand Twitter and how it's super obnoxious because they all try to be counter to what you expect from brands on Twitter? That's the Devolver show. "Hahaha isn't it funny that we all watch a bunch of long-form ads? Anyway enjoy our long-form ad in the form of an extended anti-ad bit. You know, the way all goddamn ads are these days anyway." Just fess up to being an ad and face to bloodshed.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually really liked the deep dive approach they had last year. I can see how it wouldn't have worked as well for someone who didn't care about Smash, but it was refreshing to basically answer almost every question and emphasize how much it wasn't a port. But, even then, they had a solid 15 min of stuff before they did the 25 min of Smash.

Still, I think they've taken that criticism to heart this time, which is why we're getting the Pokemon conference live event tomorrow and the Pokemon Direct next week (as well as the SMM2 Direct we had 2 weeks ago), to get that level of info out there but let the E3 Direct be more generalized (or let Animal Crossing dominate ;) ).

19. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Bring on Fable 4 for the love of waru!

Also some Gears 5, Halo infinite (prob nextbox title).

Also cant wait for Pkmn SS treehouse next week.

Hoping to hear a peep about Horizon Zero Dawn 2, though not at E3 i guess. And also prob a nextgen title.

Maaaaybe a Xenoblade Chronicles 3 ( wishful thinking only)

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I hope not- I'm still early in on XC2 and I barely touched XCX. Everyone seems to say XCX is the best one, though, and if they make another I feel like I'll never have the time to go back and give that one a try.

21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So this is the second year I actually have to work all through E3. Which suuuucks. Not so much because E3 is so amazing, but because it was always fun to just sit around in my jammies for like a whole week doing nothing but listening to stuff about video games.

The thing I'm really interested in is Ubisoft. Because of course we're probably getting Watch Dogs 3, maybe even for this November. But there have been some rumors of a pseudo-remake of the very first Assassin's Creed, which would be amazing. I have no idea if there's any truth to that, but it could be the third AAA game we don't know about yet. Either way, even if it's just Watch Dogs 3 in London, I'll be excited for that.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It was funny, when some of the podcasts I listen to started speculating about what the Ubi AAA games at E3 could be and they brought up Watch Dogs 3, my first thought was "Wait, there was a Watch Dogs 2?".

I remember all the post-launch talk of the problems the first game had with its graphics on some platforms (PC in particular, IIRC) as well as how the Wii U version was delayed into irrelevance (which was a huge disappointment as the GamePad seemed like a perfect pairing with the game concept), possibly due to the problems with the other versions. WD2 just didn't seem to register the same way (I mean in terms of hype/profile/impact, not tech/negative issues).

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    That's too bad, because Watch Dogs 2 was awesome.

blackmyron likes this.
  24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The real question is will they do the hokey "Our conference got hacked" bit yet again?

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Almost certainly. But this time it'll be people with really broad London accents, which will make it even better :p

Ramza likes this.