main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Let There Be Dorks: Jar Jar Binks

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Faithful Wookiee, Aug 4, 2014.

?

How do you feel Jar Jar Binks was handled in The Clone Wars?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2014.
  1. He was handled well, and enhanced the series as a whole

36.8%
  2. He was handled well, but he did not enhance the series as a whole

26.3%
  3. He was not handled well, but the series as a whole did not suffer

15.8%
  4. He was not handled well, and as a result the series as a whole suffered

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No opinion; Jar Jar is old news

21.1%
  6. Other (write-in)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Faithful Wookiee

Faithful Wookiee Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2014
    How do people feel about the way Jar Jar Binks was handled in TCW?

For me, one of the things I most admire about this series is its integrity -- the way it continued with the same concerns and subjects that were prominent in the prequels, such as the political side of things, the strategies of the Jedi, and the continued presence of numerous misunderstood or mis-handled characters.

I thought Jar Jar was used well in the series. There's nothing wrong with a bit of slapstick, as long as it's used appropriately, and is actually funny. Adds texture.

A character like Binks works better in an episodic format, I think, rather than in a standalone film, where he can suck valuable screen time away from more pressing matters, causing viewer resentment.

Also, not everyone in the galaxy can be a true-blue hero. Dorks exist. Why not use them to add variety to the tone of the series?

What do other people think?

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I enjoyed his use in the series as a trolling mechanism for the people who have *****ed about him.

Seriously--Jar-Jar has a love interest. And she's a Queen.

Well played, Filonicas, well played.

Jar-Jar being mistaken for a Jedi was funny as well.

klooney and Faithful Wookiee like this.
  3. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Jar Jar fit in much better in TCW than in TPM. His personality works in a cartoon more so than in live action. And it even seems like he was toned down a bit for the show.

cwustudent and Faithful Wookiee like this.
  4. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    He was handled better than in Ep. I but was still a major drag in every episode he appeared in...except for a few moments here and there I have a weakness for...but I'd still have much preferred he not be there at all.

CT-867-5309 and Faithful Wookiee like this.
  5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    He was okay in his Season 1 and 3 episodes. He karking rocked in Season 6. [face_laugh]

cwustudent and Vthuil like this.
  6. Faithful Wookiee

Jul 29, 2014
    I just rewatched that one! "The ship has been destroyed." "Battle droids?" "No." "Jar Jar?"

I love everyone's diplomatic response to Jar Jar. Hardly an unkind word is said about him, and never to his face. Threepio, in particular, has the patience of a saint (in contrast with his impatience with Artoo, who he knows is much smarter).

7. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Conversely, I think part of what made audiences more tolerant of Jar Jar in TCW is that he was frequently acknowledged in-universe as being a bungling nuisance. IIRC, most of the clones seemed to find him very annoying.

8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't agree with that because I think it's frequently overlooked that he was treated the exact same way by both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan and others as well in Ep. I. "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent." "Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic life-form?"

9. Aeneas 1138

Aeneas 1138 Jedi Knight star 1

May 1, 2014
    I am just going to say: I love Jar-Jar, whether in TPM or TCW. I think he is a great character. I find his innocence endearing; as Yoda says, he has the mind of child. Yet, as Dave Filoni says, he is smarter than we think.

I think he was extremely well-handled in Season 6. I was completely and utterly astonished when it turned out that Jar-Jar had a girlfriend. Plus, he was a true hero in that arc. Thus, without a doubt, "He was handled well, and enhanced the series as a whole".

10. Faithful Wookiee

Jul 29, 2014
    I seem to recall even the clone troopers being diplomatic and polite about Jar Jar. Clearly he drives them nuts, but they are too dedicated to say anything.

Lots of very polite people on this show. A refreshing change of pace from most of what's on TV these days. Not to mention real life.

Dark Lord Tarkas and Iron_lord like this.
  11. Lowly Gungan

Lowly Gungan Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 11, 2022
    I loved Shadow Warrior where he confronted Grievous. I liked how they found a good balance between him being clumsy and heroic. He is probably the kindest person in the saga. The Clone Wars is a large part of the reason he is my favorite character.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hi @Lowly Gungan welcome to the boards! Please no bumping really old threads far past their natural lifespans, aka necroposting.