main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amph Let's discuss Rolling Stone's new top 500 albums of all time

Discussion in 'Community' started by solojones, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    #1 solo artist... We were talking about Elvis vs Garth Brooks for #1 solo artist of all time ;)

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I thought the top selling solo artist was Chris Gaines.

3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    And I thought Spinal Tap was the top selling band of all time.

4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    *Slow clap*

5. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I can't even see the list, but I can confidently predict that a ton of my favourite artists and albums won't be on there. Anything of this nature will always be more than a little subjective, because if you own thousands of albums, then you know that there are way more brilliant albums than 500.

Dannik Jerriko and Princess_Tina like this.
  6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I looked at the top 50 because I don't have time right now to look at the whole list. I think What's Going On taking the top spot is very much reflective of our political moment. Not to say it isn't a great album, because it is, but I think it's definitely the fact that it's basically entirely made up of mournful protest songs elevated it.

Also, Garth Brooks does not belong on this list if we're going by musical quality. He has some decent songs, even a couple of great ones, but not for this list.

"Arguably" is right because if you try to say it is, I will most definitely argue with you.

But the point with lists like this, in my opinion, is to not get too bogged down in the rankings because those are always just weird and nonsensical. My main concern is that the albums all be good. And that top 50 is made up of many, many excellent albums. I reckon the rest of the list is too. That's good enough for me. These are great albums and people should listen to them. That's the real point. Hopefully it gets people to listen to great music they otherwise wouldn't.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I don’t know anything about Garth Brooks, but I’d imagine he has songs about owning Ligers, and voting for Trump.

EHT and heels1785 like this.
  8. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Get a copy of the "What's Going On" album as soon as possible.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  9. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    they do these lists every few years. i remember flipping through it at the grocery store a few years ago. it 's so hard to rank albums. how would even i compare those that i like to each other? i don't think i've ever tried. With artists that have done a lot of albums , that i like, some stick out for me. Still very difficult across decades and genres.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  10. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Don't get me wrong, Master of Puppets is an absolute banger. Those first four tracks are as blistering an opening to an album as you'll see anywhere. I still prefer Ride the Lightning though. It helps that three of the songs on it are in my top 5 Metallica tracks of all time though (For Whom The Bell Tolls, Ride the Lightning & The Call of Ktulu).

11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    It’s like someone put the real list on shuffle

Rogue1-and-a-half, Rylo Ken and B3 like this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    It's not like the old list was excellent, but some of the new changes do seem pretty arbitrary, and like they wanted to get attention by making big changes. "Moving up 312 spots for no apparent reason is ______. Appearing in the top 10 despite never having been on the list before is ______."

solojones likes this.
  13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I can never choose between the two whenever this debate comes up. They're both classics.

EHT likes this.
  14. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    The Beech Boys are always near the top when RS does these lists. They and the Beatles were constantly trying to top each other and it produced, arguably, some of the best albums of all time. It also broke Brian Wilson.

And What's Going On and The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill are great, influential albums that deserve their spots at the top .

Emperor Ferus and solojones like this.
  15. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    You're absolutely right. Okay, I'll check out the list.

*checks out list

445: Yes - Close To The Edge
    441: Britney Spears - Blackout

**** this list!

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  16. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Worst.....List......Thread.....Ever

harpua likes this.
  17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Seriously, you can't just plop a link to 500 albums down and say, "okay, discuss," lol.

18. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Quick question - who started the list at 500, and what number did you get to before you realised you were getting angry?

I got to the Harry Styles album, prolly #470

EDIT: just checked #491 lol

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That rag cannot manage to even follow its own standards. Rolling Stone... in countless occasions... declared London Calling "the album of the decade". For the decade that had Michael Jackson and Madonna and Prince and U2's biggest albums. And now their "album of the decade" cannot crack their top 15.

Darth Punk likes this.
  20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Number?

21. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I was perfectly happy going thru life forgetting that Daddy Yankee and the song Gasolina existed, then I made it about 20 albums into this list.

Darth Punk and Princess_Tina like this.
  22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    luckily i don't have to look at this list to know it's wrong.

Havac , Diggy , solojones and 3 others like this.
  23. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Don't know enough of these to strongly agree or disagree. Also, there's very little music that I actually dislike, though I do have my favorites.

Edit: Happy to see that my personal #1 made the list at least at number 393.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The correct response. Not that a reponse should be needed, the thread should not exist.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    These are 500 good albums, so I'm not too mad