main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I like the looks of Tom Aspinall. He could be a title-contender if he keeps progressing in my view. He's got quick hands, and he's a good wrestler. That's a good combo. Plus, he knows submissions. His defense is lacking. He gets hit too much. But with improvement, I only think Ngannou and Gane will remain out of his reach.

I wish he wouldn't have faced off with Volkov this early in his career though. I think this is a tough match up for him. He's doubtfully had the opportunity to spar against someone with such a reach, length, and height advantage. Volkov's slow hands and robotic style of movement should allow the faster Aspinall to be evasive, and good coaching should show him how to take advantage of his movement advantage, but I'm not sure how good his coaches are. Plus, he gets caught with punches that he shouldn't and Volkov's got powerful kicks.

Out of all the fighters from the bottom half of the top 10 Volkov will give Aspinall the most trouble. I wish this was happening a few years from now. I think he would handle him fairly easily at that point.

The Jedi in the Pumas and Luke02 like this.
  2. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
    Paddy Pimblett comes out.

Great reversal to a takedown to an immediate submission maneuver.

Paddy the Baddy needs top 15 talent next.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  3. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    Good showing for Aspinall! It came easier than I thought. I'm surprised he pulled off that straight armbar submission. He showed skill in all 3 aspects of fighting, and transitioned between them well. He just needs better head movement, body movement. Standing still in front of 260 lb men is risky business. Apart from getting caught once that was total domination.

Also, is it just me or is Volkov slowly transforming into Liam Neeson?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And I just lost a Bonanza.

5. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
  6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  7. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    Sorry to hear that. I hope you didn't lose too much.

8. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Ouch. Never considered Volkov winning even a possibility. That loss to Gane last year really left a bad view of Volkov in my mind. Plus, I like Aspinall.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It's in the Streak for Colors thread, so all I lost was the chance to extend the colors I have now. Still it sucks.

10. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Apparently, early reports are Masvidal is being charged with felony assault for attacking Colby Covington outside of a restaurant in Miami.

Masvidal is in big trouble. Guess the bad energy between them wasn’t for show.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    My guess is Dana gets the charges dropped and books a rematch between the two.

12. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    And….

Chael Sonnen is getting hit with 11 charges of battery against numerous victims stemming from some kind of brawl that happened in December. Holy smokes.

ESPN and UFC have removed him from broadcasts, his podcasts, and any interviews for the foreseeable future.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  14. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Along with Blaydes v Daukaus tomorrow night, for the states, tomorrow morning ONE championship is having Rodtang vs Demetrius Johnson in a Muay Thai/MMA hybrid fight.

I don’t know who else is interested in elite world class level kickboxing, but ONE Championship has been the place for me for the past year or so. We also get to see Stamp Fairtex vs Angela Lee.

15. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    This fight night has beeen surprisingly entertaining.

Neil Magny with a great win over Griffin and callout of Khamzat (who is fighting Burns in 2 weeks!!).

Kai Kara-France squeaked out a split decision, but the UFC kind of needed him to win. Not that I’m saying it was stolen, it’s just Kai is on a wave of momentum and hype right now and the division needs him to fight for the belt one Moreno and Fig finish their historic fight saga.

Matt Brown loses to Barberena in a fight of the night/candidate for fight of the year brawl. Amazing fight. I personally scored it for Brown, but I… sort of understand Barb winning by split decision. Sort of.

Good event so far.

16. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    In honor of Will Smith choosing a slapping technique vs Chris Rock, here’s a tribute to open-handed strikes being used (effectively) at the highest levels of combat martial arts: (language warning)

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I mean, the Diaz brothers were the best to ever do that slap.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  18. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    While it doesn’t have the power of a punch, a slap can be useful for finding range as well as showing opponents additional angles to beware of. It can hurt too if it lands well, and of course there’s the psychological element of it, the disrespect. When Nate broke McGregor apart in their first encounter, he used the slap to setup his deadly double jabs.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    Last night was… downright earth shattering. What an event.

Volk really hurt Zombie and Herb Dean stopped the fight despite the fact that Zombie was still coming forward. I think Volk is a dominant champion who has decimated his division. I don’t know what the future for him is though. The way Volk fights and given his compact size, moving up is out of the question: he’d win a few fights maybe but the size difference would eventually get him annihilated. Volk doesn’t get the respect he deserves and honestly I’m not sure why, but kudos to him.

Khamzat beat Burns in a hellacious fight of the year candidate match. Khamzat, who was seen as this unstoppable force, definitely got humbled though. I think the jump in skill that he faced in Burns over his previous competition will calm down his rhetoric of “I’ll beat anybody”. He’s in a division of monsters and now that he’s finally ranked and will be fighting ranked fighters moving forward, we’re going to see if he’s everything he says he is. Burns lost, but definitely didn’t take a step back. It was a bloody, brutal war and Burns showed that he’s not going anywhere.

Lastly, ALJO BEAT YAN. Which boy o boy… no one except Aljo saw coming. Ever since the DQ last year, people have been second guessing Aljo and calling him a paper champ, false champ and everyone, including myself, was so convinced that Yan would walk in there last night and take his belt back. Aljo had different plans. Yan has never, and I mean NEVER been in the situations that Aljo put him in. He looked so confused and lost and just… at least for the first 3 rounds, surprised that Aljo was able to do what he wanted to him. Yan came back and won rounds 4 and 5, but by the end of the 3rd I knew that Aljo was going to be up on the scorecards so if Yan didn’t get a finish, he wasn’t winning that fight.

Aljo is owed a lot of apologies.

Also, **** Dana for going out and saying that he thought the judges messed up by giving it to Aljo. People wanted Yan to win so badly, maybe he should have showed up and took the belt instead of prancing around for the last year acting as if he never lost the belt to begin with.

Glitterstimm and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Regretting not tuning in last night, been hearing it was a good one

The Jedi in the Pumas likes this.
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    About that... (via WrestlingObserver.com)

• Henry Cejudo officially announced he is coming out of retirement. He said he's re-entering the USADA testing pool meaning he has to wait six months before he can right. He said that he wants to face Alexander Volkanovski for the featherweight title in an attempt to become the first three-division champion in UFC history.

22. The Jedi in the Pumas

Jun 23, 2018
    I’m happy to see Triple C step back into the octagon, but I don’t see the benefit in challenging Volk off the bat.

I feel like he should fight Max first or another top 5 fighter. Volk has announced that he may move up if the division doesn’t “get their **** together.”

23. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    I’m biased as an Aussie but volk is a warrior and great fighter he’s also a good bloke

He kept asking zombie if he’s sure he wants to keep going and actually looked pained that he had to keep going he even tried to get herb to call it off.

As for moving up in weight I see no issues he’s actually thought at middleweight and welterweight before the ufc his loss having been at welterweight

Not much really left he’s the clear dominant guy of the division beat max twice who’s left triple c but Dana doesn’t seem interested

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Literally yelled at my TV at Vera in the fourth round "Why didn't you finish him?!"

Good fight, good main event.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005