main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm not watching that video because I don't believe Georges has ever actually finished anyone. It's probably a Rickroll.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Well there was Bisping.

heels1785 likes this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    bj penn, matt hughes..

nobodies, really. :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    watching the actual mighty mouse playing ea ufc 3 on twitch. it's rather trippy when his opponents are fighting as video game mighty mouse.

like googling google, etc.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Speaking of past Mighty Mouse opponents, John Dodson's fight tomorrow is off because his opponent missed weight.

heels1785 likes this.
  6. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    stinks. dodson's been shaky over the last 2-3 years, had a good chance to string two wins together. looks like he's still getting paid for tomorrow, which is good.

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Released the poster for 223 - one of the best I've ever seen. Also one hell of a great card.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Notice the missing word there on the left: "Interim"

heels1785 likes this.
  9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Max Holloway's hurt, has been pulled from the ME of 222 with Frankie Edgar, a title fight. Not sure how they're going to fix that one, Aldo's got a fight on the books already.

A rather shallow weight class that needs to be shored up.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Brian Ortega doesn't have a fight coming up. Put him in that spot and let's see Frankie put a one in the loss column.

Edit: And yes, I'm that much of a nerd to have checked to see if he did.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    heels1785 likes this.
  11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Looks like Ortega may well replace Edgar in a non - title bought (apparently Hollaway's injury isn't a Whittaker situation). UFC is trying to not demote the PPV into a Fight Night by looking for a title match.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Romero missed weight, so only Rockhold is eligible for the Interim belt if he wins tonight.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    yoel needs to fight at lhw. he looked scary gaunt and sick at that weigh in. guy's 40 years old, these drastic cuts are even more unsafe.

i'm sure dana's pissed, but the ufc needs to be smarter about how they book these guys. and get the **** out of that fox deal as soon as they can.

Luke02 likes this.
  15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I already wasn't going to watch UFC 221 anyway but whatever nugget of me wanted to just ended. Just an awful card though I am now back on the wagon some for next month. Toms River is one of my favorite fighters ever (he might be the Rocky of the UFC really) though it sucks now that he is fighting Ortega intead of Holloway. But it should be entertainging and I am excited to see Cyborg-Yana even though I think Cyborg is going to trash her. Oh and MacKenzie Dern makes her UFC debut as well which I am excited but they just move her to the FS1 portion of the card as the main headline for that part of it. They are really hoping she can become Ronda Rousey 2.0 so I am kinda suprised they push her down to the FS1 part but perhaps they are thinking like me and are still concerned about her stand up game. I watch her fights via YouTube so far and it looks like she has a better standup game then Ronda did (kinda hard not too) but she still has her chin exposed way too much for my taste so far. Needs to tuck that thing in or someone is going to bash it in one day.

@heels1785

Read a really good article on Friday via Deadspin(?) about how the Fox deal might be the thing that killed the UFC. Because a lot of fans loved the fact that UFC was before then outside the main stream and was a little subculture off on it's own. But ever since Fox and their attempt to go "main stream" their hipness as gone ahead as fans don't want to be apart of the mainstream sport landscape. I think getting out of the Fox Deal and getting on a cable channel that is available to most people like a F/X or something would be ideal. Either that or if they can somehow do you what WWE did and get their own channel which includes pay-per-views that would be amazing however White will never go for it. They enjoy the PPV $$$ too much though give credit to Vince, he proved in the WWE you can make it work without it.

heels1785 likes this.
  16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    right on the money. fox has forced the ufc to spread itself way too thin, way too quickly, in an effort to make it "mainstream." which has been a disaster in nearly every way imaginable.

Luke02 likes this.
  17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    worst possible outcome of the fight, the bad luck continues for the ufc.

romero has no viability long-term, and tonight has no impact because he was well over weight. rockhold's lost two of three, and now has no momentum. the weight class is shallow as-is - but who knows if gsp is coming back, whittaker's still on the shelf with unknown lasting effects, and the two top contenders (romero and souza) are 40 and 38. weidman's declining, bisping's hinted that he's retiring after the next fight.

s.o.s.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Maybe the next TUF after this one can be a Middleweight tourney.

Anybody know if Rockhold's still breathing? (the gifs of the knockout are showing up on Twitter)

heels1785 likes this.
  19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    second shot luke took was rough.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, it was.

Edit: Watching the post - fight show now, looks like Curtis Blaydes watched Mark Hunt's fight with Lesnar and took some lessons from it (hopefully not the doping ones).

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'll say this. The decision to let Gegard Mousassi walk into Bellator is going to loom large after this fight between Romero and Rockhold.

heels1785 likes this.
  22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    One of many gifts they've given to Bellator, because of awful negotiating and a firm commitment to screwing their athletes that aren't "mainstream" names. I mean, Cheick Kongo and Tito Ortiz? Fine. Who gives a damn. But Rory McDonald? Ben Henderson? Roy Nelson? Phil Davis, Mousasi?

They're throwing guys away that are legitimizing what was once a joke of an organization.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, let's face it: Roy Nelson's future in UFC was probably numbered anyway after he kicked John McCarthy after the match with Big Foot.

heels1785 likes this.
  24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    oh good grief, i forgot that. yeah, you're absolutely right. bad stoppage, but roy was an idiot.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005