main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Let's Play a Game! (The Shelf of Shame!) Round One Sign Up!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Rogue1-and-a-half, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Here?s an idea I had for a game we could play here. The Amphitheatre is, of course, not strictly for games, but games can be a community builder and this one has a strong connection to the driving force of the Amp.

This is based on a party game, so you may be familiar with it. I thought of adapting it to the Amp a few weeks ago and talked with Mastadge about it and we?re all clear. I?ll briefly outline the rules and then start sign ups.

1. I?m thinking ten participants to a game. This first game, I?ll participate in to help smooth things along, but I won?t participate in all of them (in the case that this takes off and there is more than one game). So, for this first game, I?ll need nine volunteers.

2. The premise of the game is as follows: there will be ten rounds, each lasting twenty-four hours, one for each player. In your designated round, you will name a book that you are ashamed that you?ve never gotten around to reading. After you do so, each of the other nine players will state whether or not they have read the book you named.

At this point, the round ends and I?ll tally up the points. As to how the points are earned, I?ll give you an example:

Just for an example, say on my round, I say that I haven?t read The Catcher in the Rye. Now, we?ll say that, of the remaining nine players, eight have read it and one hasn?t. I get eight points. And the other player who hasn?t read it gets one.

Thusly, and I hope this is all clear, it is in your best interest to name a book that you have not read but you think everyone else probably has. So, don?t name some obscure book like Selected Poems of Ondra Lysohorsky. No one but me has read that book (and a darn fine book it is!), so you won?t get any points and everyone else will.

3. This game will work on the honor system. There?s basically no way for me to know if you?re telling the truth or not about what you have or haven?t read. So, be honest, okay?

4. After all ten players have signed up, I?ll post a roster of the order in which the rounds will progress. If you miss your round, too bad, the game goes on. If you don?t post in another player?s round, again, too bad. You cannot, for instance, show up when we?re halfway through another round and attempt to post about the previous round. That?s too confusing and since I?m the creator, I?m saying no to that. Each round goes twenty-four hours, that should be plenty of time for you to get in here and post your book (when it?s your round) or respond to other?s posted books (when it?s not your round).

5. If for some reason, you?re not going to be here during your assigned round (say your round falls on a weekend and you?re not here on weekends, you have a couple of options. Either let me know ahead of time and I?ll see about switching you with another player or else PM me your choice ahead of time and I?ll post it for you.

Okay, I think that should outline it pretty well. If you have any questions, ask them and I?ll do my best to either answer them or come up with an answer if I don?t have one ready.

Sign ups start now and end when we have ten people. All you have to do to sign up is post in this thread saying ?I want to play or sign up? or some derivative thereof. After we hit ten, I?ll post a schedule of who has what rounds and we?ll begin play. Approximately ten days after that, we?ll be done and somebody will be a winner.

If this game is a success, we?ll probably do it again and probably play with it a bit. I think it?s fairly obvious that a game could be done with movies and albums just as easily as it can be done with books and I think both of those would be fun. But we?ll see how this first game goes. And if you have suggestions, before, during or after play, please PM them to me.

With no further ado, let?s begin! Sign up if you want to play!

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I'm game.

1 - JediTrilobite
    2-
    3-
    4-
    5-
    6-
    7-
    8-
    9-
    10-

3. SmoovBillyDee

SmoovBillyDee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    Count me in. :)

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, my mistake . . .

I meant to post a roster for copy/pasting. Since I did say I was playing, I should have done that. I'll fix it now.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half
    2. JediTrilobite
    3. SmoovBillyDee

There we go!

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    1. Rogue1-and-a-half
    2. JediTrilobite
    3. SmoovBillyDee
    4. dp4m

(I will lose)

6. Balrog_Paradox

Balrog_Paradox Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2003
    Count me in.

7. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    1. Rogue1-and-a-half
    2. JediTrilobite
    3. SmoovBillyDee
    4. dp4m
    5. Balrog_Paradox
    6. Dingo

8. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    So wait... the least amount of books you've read, the better your chances of winning? I... friggin... got... this... LOCKED!

1. Rogue1-and-a-half
    2. JediTrilobite
    3. SmoovBillyDee
    4. dp4m
    5. Balrog_Paradox
    6. Dingo
    7. Armenian_Jedi

9. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    So wait... the least amount of books you've read, the better your chances of winning? I... friggin... got... this... LOCKED!

Well, more like the least amount of popular or classic books/literature you've read... *grins*

I'm sitting out, though. I think I'm too well-read for this...

10. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Umm, I don't EVER read books... In all honesty I've only read like 40 in my life... and half of those are Animorphs and Goosebumps. :p

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Now, of course, everyone will just name Animorphs for their picks, thus shutting you out of the win. :p

If we get ten before I have to go home for the night, I'll post my pick and get the game started. If not, I'll either start it tonight or tomorrow morning.

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Arna might do well, but I prefer non-fiction...

13. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Just to clarify, is this for just fiction, or does non-fiction count?

14. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    Animorphs friggin OWN.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half
    2. JediTrilobite
    3. SmoovBillyDee
    4. dp4m
    5. Balrog_Paradox
    6. Dingo
    7. Armenian_Jedi
    8. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

15. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

Worth a try.

16. TheProphetOfSullust

TheProphetOfSullust Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 10, 2003
  17. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    1. Rogue1-and-a-half
    2. JediTrilobite
    3. SmoovBillyDee
    4. dp4m
    5. Balrog_Paradox
    6. Dingo
    7. Armenian_Jedi
    8. OBI-BEN-KENOBI
    9. Raven
    10. TheProphetOfSullust

Looks like we can start. Rogue?

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Okay, you are correct we can indeed start.

And to clarify, you can name any book, non-fiction, essay collections, books of poetry, heck, you can name the Encylcopaedia Brittanica if you want. But, again, the point of the game is to name something that you think the other players probably will have read. So, non-fiction might not be your best bet. But that?s up to the player of course.

Okay, here?s the roster:

1. Rogue1-and-a-half
    2. JediTrilobite
    3. SmoovBillyDee
    4. dp4m
    5. Balrog_Paradox
    6. Dingo
    7. Armenian_Jedi
    8. OBI-BEN-KENOBI
    9. Raven
    10. TheProphetOfSullust

We?ll be playing in that order.

The schedule for this game will be:

Tuesday, Sep 20 ? Rogue1-and-a-half

Wednesday, Sep 21 ? JediTrilobite

Thursday, Sep 22 ? SmoovBillyDee

Friday, Set 23 ? dp4m

Saturday, Sep 24 ? Balrog _Paradox

Sunday, Sep 25 ? Dingo

Monday, Sep 26 ? Armenian_Jedi

Tuesday, Sep 27 ? OBI-BEN-KENOBI

Wednesday, Sep 28 ? Raven

Thursday, Sep 29 ? TheProphetofSullust

A COUPLE OF IMPORTANT NOTES:

Next time you post in this thread, I?d ask that you give me your opinion about extended play over the weekends. I know some games slow down considerably because a lot of people are not on the boards for the weekends. If you like, we can skip Saturday and Sunday and only play on weekdays. Give me your thoughts on this.

Also, please not the schedule above. You will be expected to post in each round, but the round above is the round where you will be responsible for naming your own book and starting play. Therefore, it is very important that you start play as early as possible during your round, otherwise the other players will have to just wait around for you and that will stall the game significantly.

I want you to have a full 24 hours for your round, but please understand that this has to give all the other players time to get in the thread and post their responses. So, out of courtesy, please post as quickly as possible when your round begins.

THE ROUNDS WILL BEGIN AT APPROXIMATELY 8:30, BOARD TIME, IN THE MORNING This is to give around twenty-four hours for each round and also so that I can visit first thing in the morning each day and post the round up for the previous round.

IF YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW THAT YOU WILL BE UNABLE TO BE HERE ON THE DAY YOU ARE SCHEDULRED FOR, PLEASE, PLEASE PM ME. It is moderately important that you post in each round, but if you miss a round of play, it is not crippling. However, if you miss the round in which you are scheduled to lead, that will adversely affect the game in a big, big way. IF YOU ARE AWARE OF A CONFLICT PM ME AND I WILL DO MY BEST TO RESCHEDULE YOU.

And, in order to keep the game moving, I?m going to try this: if you miss three rounds in a row, you?re out of the game, unless you PM me ahead of time or with your reason. This is so that we don?t keep someone in the roster who isn?t playing and then have to wait for him or her when it is time for him or her to lead.

If you have any questions, please ask.

And I will kick of game play by stating, quite simply:

I have never read The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

How about you? You have until 8:32, board time, tomorrow morning to answer in the affirmative or in the negative. At that point, JediTrilobite will be up! And soon afterthat , I'll post the way the points fell in the first round of play.

Let?s play!

19. SmoovBillyDee

SmoovBillyDee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    I'm not against playing on the weekends, though I spend much less time on the boards on Saturday and Sunday. I'm flexible.

And yes, I have read The Great Gatsby. Thank you very much, high school English.... :p

20. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I'm in the exact same boat. Had it not been for Mr. Wholey's Grade 10 English class, I never would have read the book. Which would have been a shame, because I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. In some ways, it reminds me of Cabaret ? or rather, Cabaret reminded me of it, as I saw Cabaret after I read Gatsby. People who want to live their lives in a world of fun and pleasure, doing what they want when they want and how they want, and ignoring the consequences. Gatsby is far more restrained, but the central themes that I picked out are the same. Nick and Cliff are practically the same character.

21. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I've got no issues with playing on weekends since I manage to get here at least once a day. Although if it's a concern for others, then I don't mind leaving it at weekdays only so that the game runs as fairly as possible.

And to break the trend, I've never read The Great Gatsby. It has at times been on the reading lists for schools over here, but I came in just after another revamp that led to a lot more modern and Australian-centric pieces of literature gaining inclusion. And I've never really had much of an impetus to pick it up of my own volition.

Edit: Spelling

22. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I also have no problems with doing this on weekends, although my time is a bit spotty on it...

I have read the Great Gatspy, in 11th Grade Humanities class...

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Also, on the off chance that everyone votes in a shorter time period, feel free to go ahead and start the next round, even if I'm not here. Just so long as all nine players have voted. Otherwise, we wait out the twenty-four hours.

And, while we're at it, feel free to discuss the books in question. :D

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I should be available all of those days.

And I have not read The Great Gatsby.

25. Balrog_Paradox

Balrog_Paradox Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2003
    Weekends are fine with me.

I, too, have never read The Great Gatsby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.