main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Let's say Rey dies in the middle of Episode IX...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    In the old EU, one of the most shocking moments was when Anakin Solo... thought to be the new, rising hero... was killed by dozens of unnamed enemy soldiers during a mission.
    (It's comparable to the death of Gwen Stacy in the Spider-Man comic books, with everything changing afterwards, and the death of the character and what it meant to the universe overshadowing the life of that character.)

While many of the older heroes have died in the ST so far... there's been no deaths among the lead new heroes. Which is almost surprising, since TLJ in particular has tried to beat into the audience's heads that no person is inexpendable, that a hero can rise from anywhere.

So, imagine if Episode IX has its "Anakin Solo" moment... Rey dies. And not at the end, while taking down Kylo Ren. She dies in the beginning/middle of the movie, swearing to the victorious Kylo Ren that light will always rise to meet the darkness. Then Finn is the one who leads the others to killing Kylo Ren and overthrowing the First Order... or maybe Finn dies too, and it's just a crew of no-named presumed red-shirts called "Rogue Two" that emerge victorious. Proving that anyone can be a hero... the main characters had their role, they inspired the everyman to resist, but they themselves don't save the day at the end, there is always hope even if the glorified heroes die.

What do you think of this possible ending?

moxlox likes this.
  2. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Unlikely, IMO. The ST is Rey's hero's journey. It won't end in her death, IMO. Not that such a variation of the story couldn't be compelling, but such a story would be a huge downer for wrapping up the Saga films.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Perhaps the ST is NOT Rey's hero's journey. It was originally assumed that the NJO was Anakin Solo's hero's journey, after all.

4. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Oh my god. What? The ST is Rey's hero's journey 100%. She may share that journey with other important characters but it's still her journey.

5. The-Clone-Wars

The-Clone-Wars Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    Um, I actually like this idea very much! It mirrors TFA beautifully. Well-thought out and inspiring, thanks for sharing!

moxlox likes this.
  6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I mean if they did that it wouldn't be the first film to kill off it's lead protagonist. Even if Rey perished in IX it would still be her trilogy. Just as it would've been if Luke died, and his death promoted Vader to kill Palpatine.

Having said that, this is the definition of a moot point. They'd never, ever kill off Rey in this trilogy.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Not gonna happen, but it would be great.

8. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Well, up to now we have been hearing how it's her story. I think it would be pretty stark to say, "Nope! And oh BTW, she's dead." I can hear the agonized crying of a million young girls already. Not gonna happen.

This IS her story. In the same way, we're NOT gonna Kylo as the triumphant Skywalker legacy at the end.

That's to say they can't be a bit creative with it.

rorow1 likes this.
  9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Have one of those fish nuns get their revenge on her. Best since Empire.

10. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    [​IMG]

Birkendoc and rorow1 like this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Those fish nuns did seem a little stabby to me.

jaqen likes this.
  12. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    She will be killed by Poe.

13. dekaneas

dekaneas Jedi Master star 3

Sep 14, 2014
    Highly unlikely since Rey is the protagonist of the ST.It would extremely interesting though.

14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Doused in petrol then burnt alive by BB-8’s cigarette lighter.

15. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    What do these two things have to do with each other?

Birkendoc likes this.
  16. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    No, sent to a suicide mission with a bomber so Leia has a reason to slap Poe again

17. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    In this age of SJW there is 100% NO chance that this would even remotely happen. People would be fired for even joking and suggesting it.

StefanTFN likes this.
  18. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Ah yes, let's push the strong female lead aside so that some dude can be hero again.

That sounds like an amazing idea. :rolleyes:

milena and Classified8 like this.
  19. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I think Rey dying in 9 is extremely unlikely, but if she does it would have to be at the very end of the film.

20. TheGhostOfZero

TheGhostOfZero Jedi Master star 2

Sep 5, 2016
    They seem reluctant to even give Rey visible injuries...

No offense, but the idea that Rey will die in the ST, if ever, is all kinds of LOL.

Birkendoc likes this.
  21. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    Cannot see this happening for the reasons noted by others here but it would lend itself to some good twists to the plot if we knew the story was to continue into another trilogy. The conclusion of the Skywalker saga would probably prevent this from happening unless of course.... no I wont go there!

22. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    It would definitely be the one thing that would shock me. I could see her being defeated by Ren or something but I can't see her getting killed off.

23. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I don't really see it as good at all: Female lead of trilogy dies in beginning of third movie declaring statements about how the light will live on and this later plays a part in motivating male character to save the day so her vision of the light winning can live on! Just, yuck.

This happens a lot with female characters but I don't really mind when they aren't the lead character. But to just push the lead aside to replace her with one of the guys seems terrible.

If anything, I want Rey to be even more clearly the lead in IX since so many are apparently doubtful that she is the lead of the trilogy.

Twist for the sake of twist, shock for the sake of shock, is also what it sounds like to me.

Oh and PS: were Finn the lead Force protag in the trilogy, I wouldn't be wishing for him to be replaced. I would be watching the trilogy in the context that Finn is the protagonist, and wouldn't expect him to be replaced in the last movie.

I realize also that some people (not necessarily on this forum - but I've watched my share of YT Star Wars vids) feel like other characters have been replaced. But I don't think that works. I don't see it as Luke's trilogy so I don't see Rey as replacing Luke. One replacement argument I did see more was the one that Holdo replaced Akbar. Though Akbar wasn't a significant presence in TFA either, so I guess RJ decided just to blow him out into space. Um.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Birkendoc likes this.
  24. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    LOL let's also say pigs can fly, and Finn will wake up from his coma in 9 and all of TLJ was a dream.

Not going to happen.

25. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Yeah, first female Jedi main character, let’s kill her off for shock value so that a couple of characters who show up out of the blue and the audience has zero emotional attachment to can be hero’s. Sounds like the first chapter of someone’s self insert fanfic. Why is it people are looking for any way for someone besides Rey to be the hero of this trilogy?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.