main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Let's Talk: Feminism

Discussion in 'Community' started by blubeast1237, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    @SateleNovelist11 You mentioned "transfeminism" somewhere and the activist Julia Serano. I read the first edition of her book Whipping Girl years ago. It helped shape a lot of my opinions about transgender issues. But the Rowling controversy really upset me that day. Lord Vivec was right when he said that you can be anti-trans and still be a feminist. Another person reminded us that you can hate men and still be a feminist. Yup.

Anyway, I read the latest edition of Whipping Girl, taking notes and rainbow highlighting lines that struck me as memorable. I learned stuff. And got to color with crayons.

Satele. If I might ask. How could this book be valuable to a cisgender woman (living in our society) whose life is totally detached from things like trans activism? I'll give my answer after you.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  2. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Well, I think it's important to remember that certain waves of feminism, such as third- and fourth-wave feminism, are more inclusive than the second-wave.

Similary, I would compare the multiple types of feminism to the multiple sorts of anarchism insofar as that there are many different groups/ideologies of feminism. Just as there are several types of anarchists (ones who believe in violence and those who are pacifists), there are also dozens of types of feminism. I think people have a misguided definition of feminism as being misandrist (man-hating) or trans-hating. But the majority of feminists I have met are equality feminists who believe that all humans are equal. Fortunately, I read about what I just described before reading that book in October 2014.

I think people get hung up on genitals. They assume that there are are only two genders due to that. However, analyzing brains and personalities has shown us that there are many genders. I not only feel bad for the transgender and non-binary people who have been persecuted for identifying as neither male nor female. But I feel bad to hear about the violence (dead naming and misgendering) that has been inflicted against both trans women and trans men. Trans women should be considered the same as cis women, and trans men should be considered the same as cis men. Similarly, those who identify as neutrois, both genders, or multiple genders should be considered the same as everyone else. Persecuting people for gender differences harms them and society as a whole. In my estimation, people who believe there are only two genders and judge humans by genitals are no different than cave people. It's okay if their preferences are hetero or whatever. Being persecuting non-straight people and non-cis people is what I would call the agenda of the violent heteropatriarchy. The heteropatriarchy consists of anyone (regardless of gender or orientation) who hurts people for homophobic, transphobic, biphobic, or cissexist reasons.

Lastly, I think it's not constructive to call TERFs "TERFs." This is just my opinion for my own practices. I don't have a problem if other people use the term TERF. It is true that they are exclusionary, exterminationist, and eliminationist in their approach. But calling them feminists gives the majority of feminists, who are good people, a bad name. That's unfortunate. I call them exterminationists and eliminationists personally, and I avoid them. They are no different than neo-Nazis or the Ku Klux Klan.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    castin and Ava G. like this.
  3. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    You compared them to Neo-Nazis. Whoever edited the RationalWiki article believes the stereotypical hateful feminist probably came about because of TERFs. The TERFs are afraid that trans women might carry residual boy cooties or "male energy", which isn't allowed in their tree house where they gather to hate on penises. That stereotype is classically known as a Feminazi. The term seems to have fallen out of use. Maybe for the best.

We could turn on some dark 80's synth music when referring to them as exterminationists.

I'm guessing by exterminate/eliminate you mean these groups' treatment of trans folks is intended to encourage widespread bigoted violence. It could also mean erasing the futures of trans women, denying opportunities. Especially through legislation.

lol. I agree.

I'll answer my own question from last time by saying that how society treats trans women often reveals its otherwise cryptic opinions about women and femininity. Whipping Girl qualifies this idea every page. Gender equality has come a long way in the white western world . . . with its ninja training.

You know all this. I'm just talking to a hypothetical pupil or something.

What other reading material on this topic would you recommend, Satele?

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  4. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Apologies, Ava. I did not see your post until today. I have been preoccupied with researching this virus.

Other than what neurologists and geneticists have said about us, Julia Serano has been the only source I have read.

Their main goal is to erase us. Erasure encourages violence against us. We have seen similar outcomes pertaining to bisexual/pansexual erasure.

Ava G. likes this.
  5. EmuBay

EmuBay Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2017
    what happened to Elisa Izquierdo is a good reason why the "I am Woman, hear me Roar" and the Cult of the Loving Mother relics of the 1970s is so blimey dangerous.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    No, it shows the hypocrisy of conservatives shedding crocodile tears every time this happen while simultaneously keeping our child welfare system dangerously understaffed, underfunded and powerless and at the same time pushing a "parents always know better than some government official" philosophy.

7. EmuBay

Jan 4, 2017
    believing a woman won't hurt their child just because she's a mother didn't help in Elisa's case. Women can kill for any reason or no reason, just like men can. Like i said, "I am Woman, Hear Me Roar" was only ever a slogan.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    “I am woman, hear me roar” also has nothing to do with whether women are just as capable of violence as men are. I agree with you on that, in fact, I think it is anti-feminist to assume that women are too “pure” and “gentle” to have the same faults that some men have (or to believe that all men are somehow violent creatures and that the gentle, nonviolent man is some sort of exception). And of course women who are mothers are capable of hurting their children, just as men who are fathers are capable of hurting their children. I don’t understand how that point is even debatable. Scumbag pieces of **** can be male or female.

However, that point does not make “I am woman, hear me roar” or the mindset behind it illegitimate. And Elisa’s behavior should not be used as an excuse to promote the idea that women overall should be viewed as second class citizens, incapable of independence, in need of “protection,” or whatever dumb*** idea that conservatives opposing gender equality manage to come up with.

9. EmuBay

Jan 4, 2017
  10. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    ^ Wtf women are not raised to believe that.

However, there is an entire patriarchal culture that is based on the notion that women are the nurturers and the caregivers, which subsequentially influences court decisions.

11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    **** what did I just walk into.

Seeing women in the role of primary caregiver has been a thing for.... well, basically the entirety of human civilization. It's not a 'feminist' concept to thing that a woman has to be the one taking care of a child.. It's pretty much the exact opposite.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The judge is an idiot.

Next.

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How? Did you even read this article?

The primary person that contested the custody claim wasn't a man. It was a female cousin named Elsa. How does a judge's admittedly bad ruling deciding between two female relatives prove that the judge is biased in favor of women?

Chewgumma, Rew, La Calavera and 8 others like this.
  14. EmuBay

Jan 4, 2017
    In 1979, Judge Greenbaum denied a father custody of his child, claiming the grandparents were "psychological parents". I agree with an earlier post that Greenbaum is an idiot and prejudiced.

15. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You walked into EmuBay discovering another Senate Thread.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The point of the previous case cited, was that sometimes the closest relative is not suitable, and judges need to realise that.

Just as denying a mother custody is sometimes the right thing to do, so denying a father custody is sometimes the right thing to do.

17. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    So, this happened:

Malaysia's Women and Family Development Ministry apologises for sexist 'household happiness' posters
    Even during a pandemic, patriarchy can’t give women a break.

18. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Ugh. Additionally, the way that Texas is barring women from having abortions, with the exception of the operation to save the mother, is repugnant. Far-right politicians know how to take advantage of a crisis. But my goodness, certain women do not want to have children in the middle of a pandemic. I feel terrible for the survivors of rape being forced to do so.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Juliet316 likes this.
  19. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    My good friend/sister-figure from Sarasota, Florida, was telling my Eponym and me that she was concerned about abused women being quarantined with abusers. My Eponym said, "I can't imagine how many partners are stuck with abusers, but maybe this will make them leave sooner rather than later. I can only hope."

I heard about a case of a woman escaping her partner in Dallas County, Texas, recently.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  21. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    Respect for our sisters and brothers in Sudan.

I'm personally switching topics and having another public one on one. 'Cuz I thought why hide the awesome under a bushel.

@Adalia-Durron

Thanks for joining us!

Your son's hair is glorious, as you've said. I'm sure he receives mostly compliments from not just the women and children, but the men too.

How does modern Australian culture tend to respond to males with longer hair? Assuming those males care enough to properly care for said hair.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Juliet316 and Adalia-Durron like this.
  22. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Hi!

I guess it depends on where you live, and who you are. My son has hair to the middle of his back, and yes, like I told @Ava G. - it's GLORIOUS. He, unlike many women even, takes excellent care of it and even had it trimmed so when it hangs down the side (his fav way) it cascades. He hates photos of himself but I just asked if he'd allow a photo of just his hair.....he agreed.

On the flip side, my daughter cut all her's off 3 years ago and swears she will never have long hair again.

There are parts of the culture (generally older White collar workers) who still frown upon it, but how can the length of ones hair define their abilities or their personality? I never understood that, as I was raised to not judge books by their covers.

I was raised in a home where hair was not an issue. My brother had long hair like my son and my other brother had a 'mullet' for a time. My nephews hair was down to his butt at one point. Hair in my mind does not define a person, it does not tell people who you are. I know a lady in her 60's who has pale pink hair and its beautiful, not old lady looking at all, and I have a friend who goes purple regularly. I have had long hair all my life and the only person who ever complains about my sons hair ironically is his father. He was raised in a world where long hair meant you couldn't get a job, I know that is not true at all anymore. Where I work many of the men have long hair, they just tie it back. My husband was raised in a world of white collar and he still listens to every word his father says (83) and constantly says 'get a bloody hair cut' to our son. Little does he know that inspires my Luke to grow it longer ;)
    [​IMG]

castin and Ava G. like this.
  23. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    ^ Wonderful post, madam. ~hugs~ You set a great example for all women. Sweet and open-minded, yet discerning and defiant when need be.

Hell yeah.

"What about when you set forth into the real world and look for a JOB?!" Well, I won't try getting hired by a dick.

Give me self-expression or give me the chair, I always say.

~talks to lovely photo~ Hey young man. :] You are wise to buddy up with your mother here. It sounds like you two make a kick ass team. The patriarchy is relentless, do what must be done plz

I might go for pale pink myself. Or just pink. I dyed my hair peacock colors last summer. It faded to its natural dark brown but with highlights and turquoise streaks. and yeah, no, your son takes better care of his hair than I do mine. Mine gets so tangled so easily. Sometimes I can get my sister to swing by and fix it but lately she's busy and the D&D wives are probably better at D&D than doing hair--

TWENTY MINUTES LATER

@Adalia-Durron Do your children consider themselves feminists? Or is it just an assumed thing that doesn't have a label per se?

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  24. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    My daughter - Hell yes. Sometimes over the top, sometimes to the point where its 'Alright, shut up! We get it!' :p Actually she's more like women should run this planet, men should be our servants..........wasn't like that as a kid but after 4 years of University came out with a whole new attitude toward the world.....some of it not great.

My son believes we should all be equal, no one better or worse than anyone else regardless of gender/race/colour/creed/sexuality.......and I tend to agree with him. He doesn't believe anyone should have anything more or less than anyone else, especially with the issue of hair!! Just because he can grow his hair doesn't make him unemployable anymore than a woman with long hair. Makes no difference.

He and I are a kick arse team! We're best friends. Today, we have A New Hope on and were in different rooms, we knew the Death Star was about to blow and ran in from opposite ends of the house to make the explosion noise together!!! We talk games, characters, movies, stories, history, music.......cause our taste is VERY similar. He loves that he can put Sabaton on loud and his mother will sing along and dance with him. I love that he is so comfortable with me.

As for treating it. Put conditioner on it most the ends if long, if not all over. Wrap it up if short, bun it if long. Sleep on it. Wash it in the morning, you will notice a massive change. ;)

Jedi Ben and Ava G. like this.
  25. Ava G.

Jul 7, 2016
    Satele and Adalia have graciously agreed to remain on standby for more of my random silliness. But for now we'll let them sleep.

I summon @devilinthedetails, the little devil, to talk about a topic of some curiosity to me, tho I wouldn't say it arouses my curiosity. Asexuality. The No Sex Wanters. Lady Sansa finds herself confined to the tragic existence of a woman who's unresponsive to the seductive charms of Jar-Jar Binks in the SWC social thread.

I'm pretty sure she can feel the warm and fuzzy magic of friendship. She is very friendly and loves answering questions.

DitD: Hi! :]

Could you describe a unique problem a college-age asexual woman might face in sex-obsessed society?