main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Letting Qui-Gons be Qui-Gons: A Renamed Characterization/Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by female_obi_wan, Sep 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I'd like to see some stories of what Qui-Gon was like before Xanatos. Was he always stoic and silent or did he enjoy his life...laugh once in a while, have a sense of humor?

Oh, I always picture him as having one of those real dry, subtle senses of humor... the kind of person who says something funny and unless you're really sharp, you don't get it until 15 minutes later, and then you nearly wet yourself! :)

I can't see him (or any other Jedi) being into practical jokes, or laughing at someone else's expense. Finding humor in someone else's unhappiness or embarassment doesn't seem to be in character.

For some reason, I always picture him as being a pretty good cook, too... but that's probably just wishful thinking. [face_love]

2. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Oh, I always picture him as having one of those real dry, subtle senses of humor... the kind of person who says something funny and unless you're really sharp, you don't get it until 15 minutes later, and then you nearly wet yourself!

I always pictured him as being the same way! :D I think the whole experience with Xanatos likely aged him, and probably effected his ability to get close to others. I don't think it hindered those relationships already present that much (such as Tahl, for example), but new people - such as Obi-Wan - well . . . ;) And feeling cautious after that kind of experience is understandable. :) Anyway, Qui-Gon has always struck me as having been out-going before Xanatos, for some reason. Hmm, maybe like your him being a cook thing? :p

As for Tahl, the whole thing just seemed too - abrupt for me. I don't think it was given enough time to develop properly, and as a result the whole thing came off as stilted and unrealistic. I do like Watson's work, but I just don't think you can cover something like that in a little short book(s) like that. So I think the situation had a lot of potential, but wasn't carried off quite right.

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I also pictured Qui-Gon with a wickedly subtle sense of humor - one that he used frequently before Xanatos and almost not at all afterwards. In some ways, I'm sure that Obi-Wan's humor stems from Qui-Gon's appreciation of a subtle joke (otherwise he would have trained it out of Obi-Wan).

As for being a cook, nope, can't see it but I do think he'd love a good novel, something with depth and fire and a quiet corner to watch the brilliant blaze of sunlight fall to gentle dusk.

4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    As for being a cook, nope, can't see it but I do think he'd love a good novel, something with depth and fire and a quiet corner to watch the brilliant blaze of sunlight fall to gentle dusk.

Yep, although it probably lies dusty on the reading table, because every time he sits down and picks it up there's another emergency in a far-flung corner of the Galaxy and off he goes...

I suspect all Jedi must treasure their personal time, because they may not get much of it.

5. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    Hey...has everyone seen this? :D It's my favourite of the Phantom Heresies. :)

6. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    *has no clue what the Phantom Heresies are, other than the link posted* :p

That was an interesting article thingie, though. :) The thing that stuck out to me, though, was that it mentioned that while the other mystical mentors ( ;) ) were always quick to differentiate between the Dark Side and Light Side, Qui-Gon never does so. Is that significant? I mean, he does in the JA, but not in the movies. And, as the thingie also points out, why doesn't Qui-Gon disappear? What makes him so special? :p

Anyway, it just got me thinkin', I guess. ;) :p Thanks for the link!

7. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Thanks for the link to the article, Sarah. I found it rather interesting. But one part stuck out to me: "Qui-Gon -- in one subtle moment on the Theed catwalks -- shows Darth Maul a moment of mercy."

I'm curious as to what exact moment the author was referring to here. :confused:

I also wanted to say great thread idea, because Qui is one of my favorite characters! :)

8. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Yes, when I read this article many moons ago, I couldn't find that moment either and I've really looked...

You should try and read some of the other Heresy articles. They were all very interesting and I was quite unhappy when they stopped writing them...made me think!!!

9. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Up!

female_obi_wan, do you have another topic for us to discuss, O Thread Creator? [face_mischief] :p

10. female_obi_wan

Aug 1, 2002
    :D

Okay, here's one:

I suggest that in honour of the occasion we discuss what Qui would be like as a pirate ;)(Although I do have a more serious topic if you're sick of people talking like pirates :D )

Arrrr, me hearties! Discuss away! :p

11. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Feb 3, 2003
    [image=http://www.heartstars.net/sw/qg7.jpg]

[image=http://www.potcfandom.com/gal8b.jpg]

Aye, I can see the resemblance our rogue knight has with 'em pirates! Arrr!!!

12. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Aye, he's very much like a pirate . . . after all, isn't our Qui-Gon rebellious, and have long hair and a beard? [face_mischief]

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Actually, I'm a curmudgeon and hope this pirate thing will be over soon. But everyone else seems to be having fun with it...so be it!

As for Qui-Gon being a pirate, not him!!! He just looks like one. I've read a few fics where he is a pirate (and some darn good ones at that) but he's always a pirate with a heart of gold. I figure most pirates would slit your throat for a doubloon and laugh about it - sort of Sith-like...

Avast before I keelhaul ye' (I'm really terrible at this)...

14. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Feb 3, 2003
    Aye, very much rebellious. He'd probably have as much respect for the Pirate Code as he does for the Jedi Code: "The Code is just a bunch of guideliness, anyway!" (PotC) 8-}

Were he a pirate, it could get interesting with Obi-Wan has his first mate, provided Obi gets his sea legs and Anakin isn't doing the steering. Qui-Gon, with his soft spot for pathetic lifeforms, would probably have many parrots flitting about. And he'd probably mind-trick his way through everything.

I can see a conversation going like this:

{ Pirates Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have seized a Trade Federation vessel, and are getting ready to board it. }

First Mate Obi: Capt'n, we be receivin' a transmission from the Trade Federation council. They say they be ready to negotiate for the release of their ship.

Capt'n Qui: Arrr! These Federation types are cowards. I have me a feelin' these negotiations will be short.

First Mate Obi: Capt'n, they be showin' no sign of lettin' up. What do you say we do now?

Capt'n Qui: We will be patient. {Waits a while} Arrrr! { talks to commander of seized TF vessel } You will let us board now.

TF commander: I will let you board now.

Capt'n Qui: You will not oppose us.

TF commander: We will not oppose you.

Captin' Qui: You will show us to your treasures.

TF commander: I will show you to our treasures.

First Mate Obi: Look, Capt'n. They've got a boy on board. His name's Anakin.

Qui: Aye. Powerful in t' Force, he be.

Obi: He be a bit old to be joinin' our crew, Capt'n. They say he is dangerous.

Qui: He be not dangerous! And that be enough out o' ye, lad. Get back on board our own ship. Hello, Anakin.

Anakin: You're a Jedi Knight, aren't you?

Qui: What makes ye say that, little lad?

Anakin: I saw your laser sword. Only Jedi carry that type of weapon.

Qui: Aye. Mebbe I killed a Jedi Knight and took it from him.

Anakin: I don't think so. No one can kill a Jedi.

Qui: You be wrong, boy! {Cackles evilly} I be a pirate, the dreaded Capt'n Qui-Gon Jinn, and I've killed more Jedi this side of the Rishi maze than anyone!

________

8-}

15. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    *dies laughing*

Take that, Happy_Hobbit_Padawan! ;) Gotta love it . . . :p

"The Code is just a bunch of guideliness, anyway!" (PotC)

It suddenly struck me that that is probably how Qui-Gon really feels, at least part of the time. Good observation. ;)

16. female_obi_wan

Aug 1, 2002
    I loved that, Hobbit! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Anyway, I thought of a new discussion topic...

The Council scene. What did you think about it? Were you screaming your lungs out at the screen? ;) And...what would you have done if you'd been a)Qui or b)Obi? (or even Anakin...)

If I were Qui, I would have definately definately at least mentioned it to Obi beforehand. I think his biggest mistake was not telling him. Although...I think that at the beginning of TPM, he was planning to recommend Obi for the trials anyway...and I like the idea that he actually wanted to put it off because he didn't want him and his Padawan to be seperated, and that was why he hadn't told Obi yet that he was ready to be a Knight.

Okay, that probably made very little sense :D Sorry, rushing because it's nearly time for school...

I don't like watching the Council scene, but I do sort of like it. I mean, Qui must have thought he was almost forced to choose between his Padawan and the Chosen one...and while he definately could've handled it better, it can't have been easy!

Anyone want to discuss? :D

17. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    The Council Scene? Hum?

I was always under the impression that Qui-Gon just sort of panicked. I don't think he went in there saying, 'hey, I'm going to dump my apprentice for this little boy'. It was more like he knew Anakin needed to be trained, saw the avenue to getting that done being blocked off and altered the course. Mr. Live-in-the-Moment said the first possible conclusion that came to his mind. Considering that Obi-Wan was twenty-five, able (in my opinion) to advance, and certainly didn't his Master to be there at every moment, Qui-Gon was not in the wrong. Of course I think he should of at least explained things to Obi-Wan afterwards, but when do men ever explain anything. Just kidding. Anyway, there's my opinion.

18. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Ah yes, the infamous Council chamber scene...the one that has Obi-Wan fans growling with fury, the one that has me shaking my head and asking "What were you thinking???"

I agree with ZaraValinor - It was quite obvious to me that Qui-Gon had had no intention of "discarding" his Padawan when the Council session started. Rather, he was completely stunned that they could be so wrong and he knew that he would have to move fast before they shuttled Anakin back to Tatooine. Unfortunately, he would have been wiser to phrase his objections differently and protect his current Padawan from any insinuation of a failed apprentice. In fact, he did backpedal a bit when he told the Council that Obi-Wan was ready (I would certainly agree with that - he was more than ready).
    Qui-Gon did look quite ashamed at his behavior after he said those things about Obi-Wan but it was too late to do anything about it there. So I don't really fault him at this point...However!!!

Men, they need better communication skills! I really wanted to kick Qui's butt when he didn't apologize after the meeting. Further, his actions on the landing platform were...well maddening. I kept thinking - 'just say you're sorry, you fool, before you make it worse' and then he did make it worse by telling Obi-Wan to get onboard in that tone of voice. Men!!! I do believe that Qui-Gon didn't mean to hurt Obi-Wan but he just did the go all introspective and stoically silent Qui-Gon thing. I have the same problem with my husband at times!

Still, Qui-Gon should have apologized and if I had been writing it, he would have on the landing platform!!

19. female_obi_wan

Aug 1, 2002
    Hey, there's an idea for a challenge...rewrite the Council Scene! :D

20. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    I agree with the others - I think Qui-Gon kind of panicked. As much as a Jedi Master is capable of panicking. ;) In short . . . I agree with the others. Heh. :p

female_obi_wan (or Sarah :p ), is that an official challenge? ;) I've decided to answer it, anyway. :p I'm saying so here so that I'll remember and have to do it. 8-} :D

21. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    That challenge will be difficult. I tried to write one before and just couldn't do it...I'll have to rethink...

Do you want the challenge replies on this thread or on the "Before the Saga" board?

22. female_obi_wan

Aug 1, 2002
    Ooh, I dunno...I think maybe on this thread would be good, but if anyone disagrees just say so :D

23. female_obi_wan

Aug 1, 2002
    So...anyone want to give the challenge a go? :D

24. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I'm still thinking about it. The problem is that I just finished 2 Obi challenges and I'm exhausted!

Perhaps something a little less challenging???

25. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    I personally would rather write something that didn't involve Anakin, even obliquely, so I'll pass on the Council scene and wait for another challenge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.